PDA

View Full Version : USC/NCAA Continue Stonewalling - Where's the Outrage?

soonerspudman
8/30/2007, 10:17 AM
Latest from Stewart Mandel on USC, note reference to NCAA statute of limitations, hmmm, you don't think...?

Stewart: Would you please tell me where the NCAA investigation of Reggie Bush and USC stand? Seems a big story that has been forgotten.
--Ed Brazas, Greensboro, N.C.

Good question. Three months have passed since I devoted half a Mailbag to the subject, and since then there's been ... not the slightest peep. I'm not going to rehash all the details here (you can reference that May column if needed), but I did call NCAA spokesperson Erik Christianson to provide an answer to your question. Keep in mind, NCAA bylaws specifically prevent both the organization and school involved from commenting on an ongoing investigation (hence the ongoing silence), so I was very limited in what I could ask.

First, I asked Christianson if he can at least confirm that there is still a continuing investigation. His response: "We have been forthright in saying in the past that we are seeking the cooperation of certain individuals, and we are continuing to seek cooperation." I then asked whether there was a defined end date by which an NCAA investigation must be concluded. He referred me to the NCAA's "Statute of Limitations" bylaw, which basically says the NCAA has four years from the time of the alleged infractions (which in Bush's case took place no later than 2005) to formally charge the school. There are three exceptions under which they could theoretically extend the investigation, two of which don't apply in this case, the third of which -- involving "allegations that indicate a blatant disregard" for NCAA rules -- is open to interpretation.

Finally, there was the question of, how will we know if or when the NCAA reaches a conclusion one way or the other? I know from covering similar cases in the past that the NCAA sends the school a "notice of allegations" when violations are discovered. It's not a public document; however, schools usually release it or the media obtains it through an FOIA request. That said, USC is a private school and can do as it pleases. In the event the NCAA "terminates" the investigation for lack of "sufficient evidence," it would inform the school and it's up to the school whether to disclose that.

sooneron
8/30/2007, 12:07 PM
Yep, Reggie is throwing cash around to look like a good guy for the media. Why on earth would they ever want go after him? :rolleyes:

Theskipster
8/30/2007, 12:13 PM
I can understand the delay with this, but I can't understand why there is no investigation after a recruit bragged that Pete Carrol called Reggie Bush and let the recruit talk to him during a recruiting visit.

That to me is blatant disregard of the rules by the school and not just a rogue player.

CincySooner
8/30/2007, 12:24 PM
I haven't been outraged because I assumed that eventually something would be done once the FBI got finished with the case.

However, after reading that there is a 4 year statute of limitations, I'm wondering if it will actually take that long for the FBI to finish with the case and allow the NCAA to take action. Only 2.5 years remaining... and counting.

birddog
8/30/2007, 12:25 PM
the ncaa likes to stick to the easy problems. when it comes to the usc investigation, well...."this is hard work, maybe we should find something easier."

Paperclip
8/30/2007, 12:29 PM
the ncaa likes to stick to the easy problems. when it comes to the usc investigation, well...."this is hard work, maybe we should find something easier."

It's easier to deal with the schools who self-report.

soonerinabilene
8/30/2007, 12:30 PM
No matter what evidence comes to light, they will just say first down, oregon in the end.

Seamus
8/30/2007, 12:58 PM
No matter what evidence comes to light, they will just say first down, oregon in the end.
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif

hookem31
8/30/2007, 01:07 PM
I am outraged.

TexasLidig8r
8/30/2007, 01:15 PM
Can someone please intelligently spell out why there is so much angst about USC on this board? Is it merely a backlash from the Orange Bowl game? Is it you simply don't want another program to do well?

Ash
8/30/2007, 01:20 PM
Can someone please intelligently spell out why there is so much angst about USC on this board? Is it merely a backlash from the Orange Bowl game? Is it you simply don't want another program to do well?

****off dip****!1!!k1

Paperclip
8/30/2007, 01:20 PM

We got in trouble with the NCAA and it hacks us off that they're getting away with what we feel are more egregious violations.

soonerinabilene
8/30/2007, 01:29 PM

How many hornfans think that reggie should be stripped of his heisman and it should be given to vince because of all this? about 90%, give or take a little?

SoonerBBall
8/30/2007, 01:29 PM

I think it has more to do with OU getting slammed after self-reporting and dismissing two starters out of hand, while USC refuses to cooperate in the face of much more serious violations and nothing is done to them.

We put on a clinic for how you should handle NCAA violations and still got hammered, so it is pretty ****ing upsetting to watch USC skate on by.

colleyvillesooner
8/30/2007, 01:36 PM

Quit fishing Lid. There's way too many baby fish to hook this time of year and have to throw back. :D

Dan Thompson
8/30/2007, 01:45 PM
Now you know why I hate USC more than Texas. I see this shet everyday with all the USC stickers and license plate frames.

Who are these NCAA people? They have way too much power and no seems to be monitoring them.

Speer
8/30/2007, 02:08 PM
Okay, I'll bite.

1. SC was given the MNC by the sportswriters in '03. It's LSU's.
2. TGOWWDNS in '04. No one likes the guy that kicks you in the giblets.
3. SC flat out cheated with Bush and the NCAA appears to do nothing. OU self reports and gets NCAA sanctions.
4. The Media 'flavor of the month' gets old after about 2 years....SC's been on the board for 5 years.

Well, at least that's my angst about SC

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/30/2007, 02:10 PM

i've read 2 threads on this board in the last 6 months, both today, and you've been trolling in both of them. if i find another your gone for the entire season. you'd better hope to god you edit your posts in a hurry...

colleyvillesooner
8/30/2007, 02:16 PM
Woah!!!

I pretty sure he was teasing/noob fishing.

I guess I could hope that you're kidding, but I doubt it.

CatfishSooner
8/30/2007, 02:19 PM
i've read 2 threads on this board in the last 6 months, both today, and you've been trolling in both of them. if i find another your gone for the entire season. you'd better hope to god you edit your posts in a hurry...

yeah tell him! :D

cheezyq
8/30/2007, 02:22 PM
Okay, I'll bite.

1. SC was given the MNC by the sportswriters in '03. It's LSU's.
2. TGOWWDNS in '04. No one likes the guy that kicks you in the giblets.
3. SC flat out cheated with Bush and the NCAA appears to do nothing. OU self reports and gets NCAA sanctions.
4. The Media 'flavor of the month' gets old after about 2 years....SC's been on the board for 5 years.

Well, at least that's my angst about SC

Well said. I wouldn't list them in that order, but you've summed up my sentiments word for word.

Speer
8/30/2007, 02:23 PM
Woah!!!

Horn apologist!

SoonerBBall
8/30/2007, 02:24 PM
Woah!!!

What part of teasing and/or noob fishing isn't trolling?

birddog
8/30/2007, 02:25 PM
holy crap! it's jkm.

birddog
8/30/2007, 02:27 PM
oh, and :pop:

colleyvillesooner
8/30/2007, 02:27 PM
What part of teasing and/or noob fishing isn't trolling?

Oh, it's trolling, but it's Lid. He really good at it. And SO many people bite...

colleyvillesooner
8/30/2007, 02:28 PM
Horn apologist!

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9867/vadervm6.jpg

Speer
8/30/2007, 02:33 PM
Oh, it's trolling, but it's Lid. He really good at it. And SO many people bite...
......and it looks like a few people inhale it in as well.

Rhino
8/30/2007, 02:33 PM
Oh, it's trolling, but it's Lid. He really good at it. And SO many people bite... There's quite a bit of difference between an OU fan that's been a member here for a long time trolling for the fly-by-nighters and a Horn that's been a member here for a long time using trolling to act like a dick. That's Smack Central stuff.

He'll always have a short leash around here - no matter how long he's here. He should know that.

TexasLidig8r
8/30/2007, 02:47 PM
There's quite a bit of difference between an OU fan that's been a member here for a long time trolling for the fly-by-nighters and a Horn that's been a member here for a long time using trolling to act like a dick. That's Smack Central stuff.

He'll always have a short leash around here - no matter how long he's here. He should know that.

oh he does!!! I'll see about behaving myself and leave more of the racier items to the SO...

as for acting like a dick Rhino.. I have been told that I actually am one (at least that's what an opposing party said last week)... so.. I guess it's my nature! :D Will watch myself though.

soonerspudman
8/30/2007, 04:37 PM
oh he does!!! I'll see about behaving myself and leave more of the racier items to the SO...

as for acting like a dick Rhino.. I have been told that I actually am one (at least that's what an opposing party said last week)... so.. I guess it's my nature! :D Will watch myself though.

Don't flatter yourself, you're less than that.

goingoneight
8/30/2007, 05:35 PM

[/desperately tries not to make scrotum ripping joke] :texan:

crawfish
8/30/2007, 05:41 PM

I can vouch for lid. He IS a dick. A nappily-dressed one, however (and a good sport). ;)

badger
8/30/2007, 06:22 PM
One must be encouraged by the fact that the NFL often has repeat offenders.

He may believe that he is in a safe place now, away from NCAA restriction, but something about the Vick situation and other NFL players slipping up and getting punished tells me that Reggie Bush is also one that thinks rules are beneath him.

He'll get his dose of karma soon enough.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/30/2007, 06:22 PM
I can vouch for lid. He IS a dick. A nappily-dressed one, however (and a good sport). ;)The guy is a WHORN, and a LAWYER, for godssakes. Please, stop the praise!

r5TPsooner
8/30/2007, 06:47 PM

Surely you jest?

PLaw
8/30/2007, 06:56 PM
SUC = SoCAL big TV market.

How does NCAA benefit?

It makes you wonder. This story is tired, but if stonewalling ultimately works then that may be a better approach than self-reporting.

BOOMER
PLaw

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/30/2007, 07:16 PM
SUC = SoCAL big TV market.

How does NCAA benefit?

It makes you wonder. This story is tired, but if stonewalling ultimately works then that may be a better approach than self-reporting.

BOOMER
PLawStonewalling might work for suc and domer, even the whorns, but certain programs had better not even THINK about trying it.

ruf/nekdad
8/31/2007, 08:48 AM
The guy is a WHORN, and a LAWYER, for godssakes. Please, stop the praise!
Just because he's a lawyer doesn't make him a dick. But a sure sign, is does he have a TV ad to get that quality business. How bout it Lid, got that mid afternoon/late night, "I know what to do", TV thing goin?