PDA

View Full Version : Baseball player dies

SOONER STEAKER
8/29/2007, 10:44 PM
A walkon pitcher for North Central Texas College passed away today after collapsing on monday afternoon while conditioning with the other pitchers.

From what I understand the player had fainted, the pitching coach was screaming for hm to finsih, the player continued, only to fall head first into the foul pole upon his completion. The player was medi-flighted to Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth where he passed away this evening.

I hope all can say a prayer for the player, his family, the team and the coaches in this tragic time. :confused:

GrapevineSooner
8/29/2007, 10:49 PM
Will do, man.

:(

GrapevineSooner
8/29/2007, 11:02 PM
RIP Josh Fant

By EMILY TSAO / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected] A former Granbury High School baseball pitcher died Wednesday night after suffering heat stroke during workouts at North Central Texas College.

Josh Fant, 18, a freshman and former Granbury High School pitcher, collapsed Monday during the college’s first baseball practice for the school year at the Gainesville campus, said Condoa Parrent, college vice president of student services.

The players had taken turns throwing about 30 pitches before rotating to the outfield. “It was nothing real strenuous,” said Dr. Parrent.
Players were nearing the end of practice and jogging when Mr. Fant bent down on one knee, Dr. Parrent said. As others came to his assistance, he collapsed.

Mr. Fant was taken indoors where he was iced down and 911 was called, Dr. Parrent said. He was taken to a local hospital and later transferred to Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth where he died about 8 p.m. Wednesday, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office.

Mr. Fant’s high school baseball coach Pat Watson learned of the incident from his former players Monday evening. Mr. Fant had played on the varsity team for three years and pitched in district playoff games the last two.

Many of the Granbury baseball players know Mr. Fant and coach Watson said the mood at the high school was somber. He said the school has been providing updates for Mr. Fant’s friends.

He remembers Mr. Fant as someone who did not give up easily. “When something did go bad, he would find a way to fight back and prove himself,” Mr. Watson said.

Friends left numerous postings on his MySpace page, offering him words of support and encouragement. One friend wrote: “hey man i hope you get better i heard what happened. im prayin for ya.”

Mixer!
8/29/2007, 11:24 PM
How terrible. Thoughts and prayers for his family & friends.