PDA

View Full Version : This Bizarre Phenomenon

Geekboy
8/29/2007, 08:45 PM
Tomorrow it begins. It's what we've waited ALL YEAR for. If I stop long enough and really think about it.......it brings tears to my eyes.

What really is important in life? The really important stuff is our spouses, our children....family.
That IS number one.

But we are part of that unique obsessive breed that love and adore college football. Others not in this category say.....'it's just a game.' Technically they are correct. But in reality it's not just a game. It is a very important part of our lives. It is a vital fuel that keeps us going and gives us strength.

During World War II the American public went to movies to get that precious moment of 'escape.'
A moment where we could escape and dream and hope during very difficult times as loved ones fought for our freedom.

We have the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and even though they are not world wars.....for us....college football is that fuel that we NEED in our lives. Even if there were no wars.....the 'fuel' of college football provides us that 'fuel' that gets us through the every day grind of cranking out a living and providing for our families.

Yes, our families....our friends (our loved ones) are the most important but without that fuel, that fantasy of college football, high school football, pro football for others.....our lives would be less complete.

We love hearing the bands, the roar of the crowd, our devotion to those on the gridiron that we don't even know become our heroes. Our heroes fill some empty gap in our lives that we 'need.'

Our loved ones are truly enough. But our love of college football is what keeps us feeling truly 'alive.'

Our devotion to our sport is somewhat bizarre. Here's a unique mind experiment. Let's say, for example that one year for some unexplained bizarre reason that the entire squad of Oklahoma decided to transfer to LSU and the entire squad of LSU decided to swap and transfer to Oklahoma. It wouldn't matter.......that's OUR TEAM no matter what the players names are! It's truly a bizarre psychological phenomenon that doctors might want to explore. What is up with that?

We don't know the players but they are OUR guys and that's all that matters.

The NFL?......that is the arena where we get to watch 'our guys' get their monetary reward and we are happy for them and want them to succeed. But pro ball isn't college ball. College football is where the true glory is.

Why are college stadiums on the whole so much bigger than pro stadiums? Ask any NFL player that had the unique opportunity to play in the NCAA championship game and the Super Bowl and they will tell you.......NOTHING compares to the college game. Even crucial rivalry games are more important to them than the Super Bowl. I know because I've read about this.

We live through them. We smell the grass, we hear the roar of the crowd, we, in some way, experience the glory they are feeling. We (the crowd) are that other player on the field that cheered and pumped them up to achieve victory. In a way we are a part of 'our team.'

College football isn't 'just a game.' It's an essential and deeply important and psychological part of our lives that even helps us to be better people. Yes, we lose games we shouldn't lose and we 'give up' and want coaches fired and we get on message boards and threaten physical violence to our opponents simply because it draws out the 'passion' in our very being. It's part of the fueling process.

When I think about 'tomorrow.' the opening day of college football, I get tears in my eyes.
It's because we can get lost in that moment of 'dreams'....'fantasy'....'our life fuel'....whatever you want to call it. It literally makes our lives and our passion for life even better. It gives me painful goose bumps when I think about it.

It's not just a game. Every single sportscaster and analyst will tell you......this is the greatest time of the year. No other sport brings out passion like college football.

We are blessed. We are blessed to have been born into a country that has this sport.

I'm not kidding..........I honestly believe this is a God given gift.

Soonerus
8/29/2007, 08:50 PM
good stuff, Geek....

setem
8/29/2007, 08:52 PM
Very nice my friend! Much respect!

SelmaBamaFan
8/29/2007, 08:52 PM
Cliff notes?

jk ;) Great post Geek, and I would say good luck tomorrow but you ARE playing Miss St hehe.

achiro
8/29/2007, 08:54 PM
Way too many words

josh09
8/29/2007, 08:55 PM
Holy crap you should be in a movie or something!

Or at least sell that speech to a movie :D