PDA

View Full Version : I just got back from Mississippi.....

slickdawg
8/29/2007, 08:28 PM
and I can report that there has been very little progress in many areas since Katrina destroyed the area two years ago today.

As I drove down beach boulevard in Bay St. Louis, there was little difference in today and and two years ago. The debris has been largely cleaned up, but rebuilding is extremely sparse. Ths primary reason, from folks I talked with, is that the insurance companies are still refusing to pay claims, and all of this mess will have to be settled in court.

If you have a minute of five, watch my video from the immediate post-Katrina days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujQwTQ8JnNc

StoopTroup
8/29/2007, 08:33 PM
I noticed today that the media was trying to put a positive spin on recovery...

We all know it must be horrible for most folks.

They did keep saying that 2/3rds of the folks came back but 1/3 already want to leave again.

Another guy said that even a smaller version of katrina would put it all under water again.

It's hard to think that we are letting a Major City in this Country rebuild when it's probable that it will just be wiped out again.

Again...you made a great video...

I hope there's more help on the way.

GW seemed to think all is well.

slickdawg
8/29/2007, 08:37 PM
GW kept pointing to the new bridge behind him.

They positioned the cameras so you wouldn't see the barren side of Beach Boulevard. The railroad tracks immediately behind him were rebuilt almost immediately by CSX, as that is a primary artery for their railroad. The new bridge, halfway completed, is $40 million.

Less that 1/5th of the people that qualified for the $150K have received a dime. Great work gubbamint.

HskrGrl
8/29/2007, 08:40 PM
Good video, Slick. Even 2 years later it's still sad to think back on the days after Katrina. I'm sure it always will be. :(

phead903
8/29/2007, 08:52 PM
I have a feeling that this area will never rebuild like it once was....

OUWxGuesser
8/29/2007, 09:08 PM
I have a feeling that this area will never rebuild like it once was.... and that would be the economical thing to do...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/30/2007, 01:35 AM
I have a feeling that this area will never rebuild like it once was....Those on the Gulf Coast are sitting ducks for hurricanes. NOLA will forever be vulnerable to massive flooding, unless the levees are able to withstand cat#5 storms.

StoopTroup
8/30/2007, 02:33 AM
It's almost criminal to entice folks back into a situation that might occur again without guaranteeing them real insurance should such a Catastrophy occur again. There is no reason for anyone to have to endure that twice in this great Country of ours.