PDA

View Full Version : bottled water: why don't people just buy a water filter?

King Crimson
8/29/2007, 03:30 PM
i'm amazed at the money people plop down on bottled water (particularly young people).....buy a top grade filter for 150$ one time fee and not spend 100$ a month on the skate.

is there something i don't know here?

or is it image?

and Vitamin Water: hey, suckers! it's Kool-Aid, bay-bee 250 calories a bottle.

"Vitamin Water". LOL.

yermom
8/29/2007, 03:38 PM
i spend a lot less than $100 a month on bottled water... i haven't used a water filter that i liked, and the tap water here succs

Boarder
8/29/2007, 03:50 PM
For me, bottled water is for the convenience of taking the container with me and then throwing it away (into a certified recycling bin, of course). Instead of taking a cup from home and having to remember to take it back in.

I don't use bottled water at home because I have well water which is the best ever.

JohnnyMack
8/29/2007, 03:52 PM
i'm amazed at the money people plop down on bottled water (particularly young people).....buy a top grade filter for 150$ one time fee and not spend 100$ a month on the skate.

is there something i don't know here?

or is it image?

and Vitamin Water: hey, suckers! it's Kool-Aid, bay-bee 250 calories a bottle.

"Vitamin Water". LOL.

Why do you hate Curtis Jackson?

C&CDean
8/29/2007, 03:53 PM
I've got a well out at the ranch. I buy a case of cheap bottled water every now and then just to have bottles to fill up from the well water. My water doesn't taste like Lake Thunderbird - like Norman's water.

And just so you know, myself, and my kids have taken numerous pees in y'all's water, and once I wiped out really bad water skiing and got a Thunderbird enema. So, I dropped my britches and evacuated in your drinking water.

You're welcome.

JohnnyMack
8/29/2007, 04:02 PM
Further proof that it's better to live in Tulsa.

IB4OU2
8/29/2007, 04:03 PM
I've got a well out at the ranch. I buy a case of cheap bottled water every now and then just to have bottles to fill up from the well water. My water doesn't taste like Lake Thunderbird - like Norman's water.

And just so you know, myself, and my kids have taken numerous pees in y'all's water, and once I wiped out really bad water skiing and got a Thunderbird enema. So, I dropped my britches and evacuated in your drinking water.

You're welcome.

So they're actually drinking Dean butt ****** and pee....man I'm glad I have a well.

King Crimson
8/29/2007, 04:19 PM
For me, bottled water is for the convenience of taking the container with me and then throwing it away (into a certified recycling bin, of course). Instead of taking a cup from home and having to remember to take it back in.

I don't use bottled water at home because I have well water which is the best ever.

well, it's pretty easy to fill your old water bottles with filtered water and get the same convenience.....there, mister recycle :texan:

i'm talking about the economic incentive, basically.

if Dean can **** all the way from Lex to Colorado i will build him a shrine.

at minimum, buying by the bottle is cost stupidity when you could buy a service/tank.

Boarder
8/29/2007, 04:19 PM

You're welcome.
Yeah, where you think your aquifer comes from?

1stTimeCaller
8/29/2007, 04:23 PM
The only time I buy bottled water is when I'm at work. There's no telling what's in the water tanks that they hook our trailers up too.

There aren't many places where the water really tastes bad. I guess growing up drinking lake Ft Cobb water when it 'turns over' has lead me to be able to drink any tap water.

LilSooner
8/29/2007, 04:34 PM
We use a filter because water norman sucks ***! This morning I was going to wash my face and turned on the faucet after brushing my teeth and the water smelled liked ***. I turned off the water went into my office and used one of my ready bath clothes (it's what they use in the hospital when people can't take showers). I hate city water with a passion.

I miss my well water :(

soonerinabilene
8/29/2007, 04:44 PM
evian is just regular water. Spell it backwards.

Harry Beanbag
8/29/2007, 05:26 PM
I buy it when I'm away from home and thirsty. I would guess there are millions of people who do the same. Is it really that big of a mystery? :confused:

mdklatt
8/29/2007, 05:28 PM
You're not supposed to reuse bottled water bottles. The plastic leaches chemicals into the water after awhile.

SicEmBaylor
8/29/2007, 05:30 PM
You're not supposed to reuse bottled water bottles. The plastic leaches chemicals into the water after awhile.
I was about to make the exact same comment. I think it's okay to refill it once and maybe twice, but beyond that it gets really really iffy.

olevetonahill
8/29/2007, 05:32 PM
I buy Mine in a 12 ounce can :P

sooner_born_1960
8/29/2007, 05:34 PM
The preceeding was brought to you by the bottled water industry. Because they care.

SicEmBaylor
8/29/2007, 05:34 PM
I buy Mine in a 12 ounce can :P
...which is precisely what that stuff is. Water.

mdklatt
8/29/2007, 05:35 PM
I was about to make the exact same comment. I think it's okay to refill it once and maybe twice, but beyond that it gets really really iffy.

I'm wondering what makes them safe to use even once. How does the act of refilling it cause leaching, but the original water that's been sitting in it for who knows how long is perfectly fine? :confused: :eek:

SicEmBaylor
8/29/2007, 05:39 PM
I'm wondering what makes them safe to use even once. How does the act of refilling it cause leaching, but the original water that's been sitting in it for who knows how long is perfectly fine? :confused: :eek:

That's not even necessarily true. From what I understand, even unopened bottles can go bad and get **** in them over time through the plastic themselves. I wouldn't drink an expired bottle of water even if it is sealed with the original water.

Frozen Sooner
8/29/2007, 05:39 PM

'Cause it doesn't. Don't believe everything you get in an e-mail.

olevetonahill
8/29/2007, 05:42 PM
...which is precisely what that stuff is. Water.
You Shut you whore Mouth .

SicEmBaylor
8/29/2007, 05:49 PM
You Shut you whore Mouth .
That's right, you heard me old man.

olevetonahill
8/29/2007, 05:51 PM
That's right, you heard me old man.
Its On like Donkey Kong Ya youngster !
Give it yer best Zima shot !

Harry Beanbag
8/29/2007, 05:55 PM
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/petbottles.asp

mdklatt
8/29/2007, 05:58 PM
'Cause it doesn't. Don't believe everything you get in an e-mail.

I didn't get that from an e-mail.

EDIT:

link (http://www.ascribe.org/cgi-bin/behold.pl?ascribeid=20050127.113349&time=12+56+PST&year=2005&public=1)

PET (or PETE) containers are generally considered the safest single-use plastic bottle choice. Most store-bought drinks are packaged in PET containers, and they are accepted by most curbside recycling programs. An Italian study from 2003 showed that the amount of DEHP, an endoctrine-disrupting phthalate and a probable human carcinogen, in bottled spring water was found to increase after 9 months of storage in a PET bottle. It is unclear whether the levels detected could harm people drinking the water. Until further research clarifies the risk of PET containers leaching DEHP, we recommend that products packaged in PET containers not be stored for long periods of time and that the containers not be reused.

Snopes talks about DEHA (which is apparently not in PET), but this talks about DEHP.

This is not where I originally heard about the PET, but I can't find that link.

jk the sooner fan
8/29/2007, 06:00 PM
like harry said, its no real mystery

i cant carry a filter with me to the gym or wherever, but i can carry a bottle of water

convenience

GottaHavePride
8/29/2007, 08:07 PM
I didn't get that from an e-mail.

EDIT:

link (http://www.ascribe.org/cgi-bin/behold.pl?ascribeid=20050127.113349&time=12+56+PST&year=2005&public=1)

Snopes talks about DEHA (which is apparently not in PET), but this talks about DEHP.

This is not where I originally heard about the PET, but I can't find that link.
I'd find the link you quoted more believable if they hadn't spelled "endocrine" as "endoctrine". ;)

soonerboomer93
8/29/2007, 08:45 PM
like harry said, its no real mystery

i cant carry a filter with me to the gym or wherever, but i can carry a bottle of water

convenience

get some nalgene water bottles and refill them

:pop:

King Crimson
8/29/2007, 09:18 PM
what sb 93 said.

jus sayin'.

i know that openly displaying contempt for "value" is a key feature of Dallas prestige....but, c'mon.

you are just wasting money on bottled water.

i find it very interesting that the key "feature" of carbon based sentient life, or oxygen in general is more happily experienced as a commodity--it's so much more fun that way. college students today would likely drop dead from nutrient deprivation without the holy "vitamin water" (and bad music on their ipod/latest overpaid for slick phone).....vitamin water is Kool-Aid. Water is boring if it doesn't have a color or a "kick". nobody wants to drink plain water when you can drink red water.

at my local grocery store they have 5 Vitamin Water displays in the store.

Harry Beanbag
8/29/2007, 09:21 PM
only a minor play of forethought would make it possible to have both a water filter and water-filter filled water bottle "at the gym".

and much cheaper.

jus sayin'.

Do you carry a water filter filled water bottle with you at all times? If you do, what if you drink it all and want more later? Do you stop whatever you're doing and go home?

I refill two 32 oz. bottles every morning before work. It's kind of hot here so sometimes I drink both of them throughout the day. Sometimes I stop and buy another bottle because I want more water.

King Crimson
8/29/2007, 09:38 PM
Do you carry a water filter filled water bottle with you at all times? If you do, what if you drink it all and want more later? Do you stop whatever you're doing and go home?

I refill two 32 oz. bottles every morning before work. It's kind of hot here so sometimes I drink both of them throughout the day. Sometimes I stop and buy another bottle because I want more water.

you are clearly the devil, is that what you wanted me to say?

not really a refutation is it? i do actually have a water bottle, and a water filter. i just don't think it makes any economic sense at all to keep buying bottled water from Coke (Dasani) when you can do it on your own. why pay for less?

it doesn't make any sense. that's my only point.

JohnnyMack
8/29/2007, 09:41 PM
If I want a bottle of water I'm going to drink a bottle of water.

If I want to drink water with a filter I'm going to drink water with a filter.

Mind your own ****in' business.

olevetonahill
8/29/2007, 09:46 PM

On really Hot nasty days I carry a case in an Ice chest !
Just sayin :pop:

King Crimson
8/29/2007, 09:50 PM
i'm just curious why people prefer to spend so much extra money when they don't have to......

it ain't all or nothing, black white, good evil. this isn't a Bill Favor post.

sanantoniosooner
8/29/2007, 09:58 PM
I've learned that everyone on this site is rich.

Except me.

SicEmBaylor
8/29/2007, 10:04 PM
I've learned that everyone on this site is rich.

Except me.

Proletariat riff-raff.

jk the sooner fan
8/29/2007, 10:10 PM
get some nalgene water bottles and refill them

:pop:

i never said i refilled them

i open a new one, drink the contents and dispose of aforementioned bottle

jk the sooner fan
8/29/2007, 10:12 PM
much cheaper,......i can buy a case of 30 ozarka water bottles for 4.32

thats 14 cents a bottle

praise jesus i can fit that into my budget

Mongo
8/29/2007, 10:13 PM
much cheaper,......i can buy a case of 30 ozarka water bottles for 4.32

thats 14 cents a bottle

praise jesus i can fit that into my budget

can I borrow some money since you are loaded?

jk the sooner fan
8/29/2007, 10:14 PM
yes

i can buy you two cases of water

but make it last for 3 months

CORNholio
8/29/2007, 10:18 PM
Can you filter out the chlorine and what-not they add to your tap water?
(serious question, not trying to be an ***)
If not then i see reason to buy spring fed bottled water--Ozarka.

jk the sooner fan
8/29/2007, 10:24 PM
you know when bottled water is the best?

right after a GREAT and HEARTY meal from chipotle or taco bueno

mmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm

1stTimeCaller
8/29/2007, 10:50 PM
Just because you go with the crowd, it doesn't make you right.
just because you go against the crowd, it doesn't make you right.

I think Johnny Mack summed up my thoughts on this subject.

tommieharris91
8/30/2007, 03:12 AM
Vitamin Water sux. I'm never gonna drink it.

soonerboomer93
8/30/2007, 03:28 AM
Can you filter out the chlorine and what-not they add to your tap water?
(serious question, not trying to be an ***)
If not then i see reason to buy spring fed bottled water--Ozarka.

http://www.purwater.com/#/filters

check their, they remove chlorine what else is removed depends on the model

StoopTroup
8/30/2007, 03:37 AM
I don't know how many of you worked the 100 degree + days outside this year...

Sometimes water...whether bottled or not...can flush your system of potassium and make you sick.

I never drink pop when it's hot. Gatorade and/or powerade sparingly. Vita-water is just another drink to end the boredom that is a gallon of water.

LoyalFan
8/30/2007, 12:29 PM
Too lazy to read the whole thread, so I'll just say this...

I bought a Brita pitcher some years ago 'cause I don't care for the taste of the mineral-laden water of San Antonio. It (the pitcher) rawks.
I do a lot of fishing and a tad of hunting and when I'm sizzlin' on the deck of a bass boat I consume a lot of GatorAde(TM) and water, sooooo...
I tote the empty G'Ade bottles home, wash them thoroughly, and fill them from the Brita thingie, then freeze 'em. Thus, for the next trip it's G'Ade and tasty wawa in G'Ade bottles...which I discard after two uses.
That will be all.

LF