PDA

View Full Version : Ford Center

Petro-Sooner
8/29/2007, 10:54 AM
Sorry if its already been brought up.

So I here talk that if the Sonics come to OKC they will get a new arena. Why is that? Whats wrong with the Ford Center specifically? Cant those things that need "upgraded" be done with the FC? And third, yes at the time we didnt have an opportunity to have pro basketball but why wasnt the FC built with the things that a new arena would have?

goingoneight
8/29/2007, 04:14 PM
I was wondering that myself. I heard a lot of people compliment the Ford Center when they visited OKC. Many said it ranked really high among other NBA arenas. They might have been talking about the crowd, though.

King Crimson
8/29/2007, 09:04 PM
i've been to the FC twice and while it was OK....i was not really that impressed--cramped seats, bad sight lines due to people walking in the aisles.

but, i'd say it's good enough for more than a few years for an NBA team and hosting a couple NCAA regionals. if "a brand new gym" is the deal....it's an endless cycle you enter. where the onus is on the "fans" and city and not the team to perform.

OU Adonis
8/30/2007, 10:08 AM
The Ford center would be good for a short term arena, but really its only a very average NBA arena at the most optmisic outlook.

Seating is poor, the lack of amenities and the low number of suites are huge negatives.

A basketball specific arena would be much better and the ford could still be used for other events.

OU Adonis
8/30/2007, 04:14 PM
FYI- I found this tidbit on another site.

I've got a friend that's part of the mgmt team at Ford/Cox and she's told me she has seen a master plan with a new convention center south of the Ford Center and the new arena where the Cox Center is now.

King Crimson
8/30/2007, 05:21 PM
Is Cox Center what they are calling the Myriad these days?

i'm outta state.

Petro-Sooner
8/30/2007, 06:42 PM
Yep.

Soonerfan88
9/2/2007, 09:07 PM
The Ford Center, for reasons already stated, is not a long-term option for an NBA team. However, it will work for a few years while a brand new arena is being built in the current I-40 corridor to include up-to-date amenities and technologies needed and expected to host a professional franchise. Cox will also get redone as a first class convention-only center with an auditorium but not a full scale arena, making it more attractive for national companies and conventions. The Ford Center will become the 2nd arena, still within walking distance of the new one, and allow OKC to become an even better host for Big 12 and other tournaments.

Petro-Sooner
9/2/2007, 10:34 PM
Well that s great and all. But what specific amenities and technology is the ford center or the nba looking to improve? Why is it not a long term option?? This is a legit question.

I'm glad I dont live in OKC to have to pay for this "project".

Kray
9/3/2007, 08:29 AM
How hard a sell would it be to get state money (as opposed to just city money?) I don't imagine the rest of the state would be at all optimistic about paying for an arena in Oklahoma City. OKC taxpayers have shown a lot of foresight in voting MAPS in, but are they taxed-out at this point? It's a pretty expensive project for OKC to bear on its own, but I would imagine that's exactly what would have to happen.

Will
9/5/2007, 11:33 PM
where would it bee put in...

CitySooner
10/3/2007, 02:54 PM
Here is what I remember hearing Clay Bennett say during an interview on one of the sports radio channels: Basically, the plan is to develop downtown south of the current I-40 bridge to the Oklahoma River. The current I-40 bridge will be knocked down and a new 'boulevard' will be built under where it stood that would be the 'gateway' into downtown. Through a new Maps program or bond issue, the city voters will be asked to fund a new state of the art 'convention center / arena project' that will bring OKC up to a 'Tier 2" city for hosting major conventions and events. This project will be built south of the Ford Center and will be the cornerstone of future development in downtown. Future development of downtown will be focused around this new project and the Oklahoma River. A large park and multi-unit housing is also part of the plan. This will probably happen sooner or later, but much sooner if Bennett and his pals pull off their coup and the Sonics are here in '08.

rubyspirit
10/13/2007, 08:45 AM
Yep, professional sports team requires the citizens to pay taxes to pamper them. A lot of cities want out, i.e. Orlando.

Be careful what you wish for ...

OU Adonis
10/14/2007, 10:29 AM
Yep, professional sports team requires the citizens to pay taxes to pamper them. A lot of cities want out, i.e. Orlando.

Be careful what you wish for ...

Its just like anything else. If you want something nice you have to pay for it.

The NBA will be great for the image of OKC. I definately support the building of a new arena.

Rhino
10/14/2007, 01:38 PM
I don't imagine any NBA team wants their official practice court to be at Southern Nazarene University either.

Petro-Sooner
10/14/2007, 01:56 PM
I just don't get it. If the team wants something why doesnt the owners of the team build it? They have the money to. Why put the burden of paying for something that some basketball team wants on the tax payers shoulders? Meh.....

SoonerShark
10/14/2007, 02:21 PM
OKC does not need a pro team. I like the state's support of the two major college state schools. Places with pro teams seem too unsupportive of the college teams.

Petro-Sooner
10/14/2007, 08:40 PM
I'm not opposed to having pro sports here. For one thing it can possibly give us a better look to the rest of the country that we are not just a bunch of F'n hillbillys. We can handle pro sports. I just have concerns about people having to pay for something that that team could pay for itself. I guess thats just the way pro teams work. As owners, if they can get a city to pay for it then why should they. I understand the thinking with the owners but it just doesnt set right with me. Tax the people while those with money put little in.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2007, 11:19 PM
I frequent the Mavs games and I know there is no comparison between the Ford and AAC..

Cam
10/15/2007, 09:44 PM
The Ford Center was designed for hockey, not basketball. It would cost 3/4 of a new arena to bring the Ford Center to the level of other NBA facilities.

Civicus_Sooner
10/24/2007, 01:43 PM
I frequent the Mavs games and I know there is no comparison between the Ford and AAC..
To be fair, AAC is one of, if not the premier multi-purpose arenas in America. It was also made for two major proffessional teams. The Ford Center is better than several other NBA facilities.

mfosterftw
10/24/2007, 05:33 PM
I don't imagine any NBA team wants their official practice court to be at Southern Nazarene University either.

The Pistons use my old high school court all the time, especially when there's been a concert in the Palace the previous night...

Mixer!
10/24/2007, 10:39 PM
Too bad hockey fell out of favor following the NHL's snub. It was the one pro sport that wouldn't have interfered with the college sports too much. :pop:

mfosterftw
10/25/2007, 08:53 AM
Until Sooner Hockey finally goes NCAA and they decide to host a Frozen Four... :D

jdsooner
10/25/2007, 03:44 PM
Maybe the new place could be named the Chevy Center.

Civicus_Sooner
10/25/2007, 04:03 PM
Maybe the new place could be named the Chevy Center.
I'd venture to guess that since the Sonic Drive in HQ is in Bricktown, there would be some type of movement for it to be named, "The Sonic Arena." Which works for me.

jdsooner
10/25/2007, 04:48 PM
TOASTER® Sandwiches & More

Start your day SONIC-style with any of our BREAKFAST TOASTER® Sandwiches or French Toast Sticks!

Coneys

Extra-long with cheese and chili, Coneys are a traditional SONIC® favorite!

Try These Add Ons Nutrition Info
Hot Chili, Crispy Bacon, Cheese

GrapevineSooner
10/31/2007, 02:27 PM
Figured I'd bump this up a few slots since tonight at midnight is the deadline Clay Bennett set for the politicians in Seattle to come up with (non-existen) funding for a new arena (that stands no chance in hell of being built).

Of course, there's the little matter about the city suing Clay's group about breaking the lease before 2010.

colleyvillesooner
10/31/2007, 03:45 PM
how will we ever get this sorted out?

SoonerKnight
11/8/2007, 02:09 AM
I just don't get it. If the team wants something why doesnt the owners of the team build it? They have the money to. Why put the burden of paying for something that some basketball team wants on the tax payers shoulders? Meh.....

The tax payes pay for a new arena. A team pays the city (tax payers) to use the arena. City (tax payers) make(s) money. The team stays in arena over 20 years city (tax payers) make their money back after only a few years. Win-Win situation. A new NBA arena these days go for something like 300+ million. Ford Center was built for 88 Million what 8 years ago and while maybe good for a semi-pro team I think a city that wants a long term investment should consider what they want in return. A professional team or a semi-pro team. Ford is nice but having a bigger and nicer arena will really help OKC. Remember back in the 80's when United did not choose OKC because OKC did not have enough (entertainment) in the city to locate so many employees in the area. Denver won the contract. OKC needs to compete to get the BIG companies there and in effect the jobs.