PDA

View Full Version : Coaches say Pac10 worst refs

Flagstaffsooner
8/29/2007, 10:28 AM
Gee, really comes as a shock.:rolleyes:

http://newsok.com/article/3113400/1188395227

Coach poll: Pac-10 has worst refs

From staff reports

A poll of 42 college football coaches has found some consensus — the Pac-10 Conference has the worst referees. The poll, conducted by the Seattle Times, surveyed coaches, including Bob Stoops of Oklahoma.

The Pac-10 was the top vote-getter for conference with the ‘most incompetent officiating.' The Big Ten was voted the best. Pac-10 officials, of course, were at the heart of Oklahoma's disputed loss to Oregon last season.

Landthief 1972
8/29/2007, 10:45 AM
In other news: the Pope is Catholic, water is wet, and Texas still sucks.

SOONER STEAKER
8/29/2007, 10:47 AM

Great stuff. But i don't need a caoch to confrm that. I saw it with my own eyes!!

TheHumanAlphabet
8/29/2007, 10:51 AM
Hell! I was there and the UO Duck fans couldn't believe it...

snp
8/29/2007, 11:57 AM
Here's the rest of the results:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/text/2003857921_survey29.html

Question: Which conference, in your opinion, has the most incompetent officiating?

Top vote-getters:

Pac-10 | 9 votes
SEC | 5
ACC | 2
Big 12 | 2
WAC | 2
No other conference drew more than one vote. The Big Ten was not named on a single ballot.

Q: Which conference, in your opinion, has the most competent officiating?

Big Ten | 7
Big 12 | 5
SEC | 5
Pac-10 | 2
ACC | 2

Q: The rules committee has legislated a return to the timekeeping rules in place before the 2006 season. Did you like or dislike the changes that were in place last year?

Like | 12 Dislike | 27

Q: Would you favor or oppose an "early" letter of intent in football to accompany the one in February, much as college basketball has — say, during a weeklong period in August or September?

Favor | 26 Oppose | 15

Several coaches favoring the concept opted for a December date, while others would like a spring or midsummer one.

Q: Since you've been a head coach, who's the best quarterback you've seen in person?

Peyton Manning | 5
Ben Roethlisberger | 4
Philip Rivers | 3
Michael Vick | 2
Vince Young | 2
Brian Brohm | 2
Kevin Kolb | 2

(The old-timers weren't forgotten: Among the many getting a single vote were Roger Staubach, Jim Kelly and John Elway.)

Q: Since you've been a head coach, who's the best pure football player you've seen in person?

Reggie Bush, USC | 4
Calvin Johnson, Ga. Tech | 3
Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma | 2
Deion Sanders, Florida St. | 2
A.J. Hawk, Ohio St. | 2
Joe Thomas, Wisconsin | 2
Roy Williams, Oklahoma | 2

Q: Among the best players on your team, what's your guess as to the amount of time they actually spend weekly on football-related preparation — including film study, games, practices, meetings, etc.?

20 hours | 17
25-30 hours | 15
30-35 hours | 8
35 or more hours | 2

Q: What bowl game does the best, most consistent job of making the event memorable and enjoyable for players, coaches and fans?

Fiesta | 7
Cotton | 6
Rose | 4
Holiday | 4
Citrus | 3

The Peach, Orange, Sun and Liberty were the only other bowls to draw more than one vote. Only 13 bowls of 32 elicited any mention.

Q: Has the Bowl Championship Series been good or bad for college football?

Good | 32
Bad | 3

One coach wrote, "The BCS is only a slow prelude to what will eventually be at least a 16-team playoff."

Q: At 80 years of age, Joe Paterno will coach Penn State this season. Provided the alumni and the administration look kindly on you, at what age do you see yourself hanging it up?

60 | 7
65 | 7
55 | 3

Four coaches answered whimsically, "81." Another said, "Joe and Bobby are crazy."

[B]Q: The NCAA has proposed a ban on text-messaging recruits. Do you favor or disapprove of such a ban?

Favor the ban | 27
Disapprove | 14

The NCAA board of directors recently voted to uphold the ban, but it is likely to be voted on in January by the NCAA membership.

Q: Has the implementation of the Academic Progress Rate been good or bad for college football?

Good | 21
Bad | 17

There was obvious dissent on this one. Advocates like the accountability of the APR, but naysayers hit it from all sides. "It is very superficial," one coach wrote. Another called the APR "expensive, complicated, overrated."

Q: The NCAA has kept the number of bowl games at 32 for the 2007 season. Is that too many, about right or not enough?

About right | 31
Too many | 6
Not enough | 1

Q: Some conferences are playing on nontraditional nights like Tuesdays and Wednesdays to get on television. Do you favor or oppose playing on such nights?

Favor | 14 Oppose | 28

freshchris05
8/29/2007, 01:16 PM
Q: Since you've been a head coach, who's the best pure football player you've seen in person?

Reggie Bush, USC | 4
Calvin Johnson, Ga. Tech | 3
Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma | 2
Deion Sanders, Florida St. | 2
A.J. Hawk, Ohio St. | 2
Joe Thomas, Wisconsin | 2
Roy Williams, Oklahoma | 2

theres never any love for OU... f*ckin media pricks... ;)

Flagstaffsooner
8/29/2007, 01:25 PM
theres never any love for OU... f*ckin media pricks... ;)

That was a coaches poll, noob.;)

King Crimson
8/29/2007, 01:33 PM
just proves that our conference TV deal sucks and no one sees Big XII games; re: officiating.

IronSooner
8/29/2007, 01:58 PM
Isn't Joe Thomas an OL? Those must have been Big Ten voters on that one...OLs don't tend to get much attention unless they screw up.

REALLY surprised that many coaches said 32 bowl games are about right. There are WAAAYY too many. 6-6 teams have no business in the post-season. That's like giving a kid a B for making a 50% on a final.

Spanish Sooner
8/29/2007, 02:42 PM
I
6-6 teams have no business in the post-season. That's like giving a kid a B for making a 50% on a final.

I have actually talked to a conference commisioner who feels the same, that the only teams that deserve to go to a bowl game are the ones who have a winning season. But he isnt in on of the big 6 (yet anyways, he is a Big 12 candidate but I doubt he gets it) and so I doubt he would have much say of getting that change, but his thing was, why award mediocrity, and 6-6 team going to a bowlis the definition of that.

snp
8/29/2007, 02:47 PM
Isn't Joe Thomas an OL? Those must have been Big Ten voters on that one...OLs don't tend to get much attention unless they screw up.

These are coaches, not fans. They notice these things.

just proves that our conference TV deal sucks and no one sees Big XII games; re: officiating.

our new deal with ABC/ESPN doesn't seem too bad.

Mr Pat
8/29/2007, 02:55 PM
Interesting.

Landthief 1972
8/29/2007, 03:14 PM
REALLY surprised that many coaches said 32 bowl games are about right. There are WAAAYY too many. 6-6 teams have no business in the post-season. That's like giving a kid a B for making a 50% on a final.

I'm guessing many of those coaches have a clause in their contract in which they get a bonus for going to any bowl, regardless of their 6-6 record.

mizzOUstu702
8/29/2007, 03:59 PM
Although I'm all for the love of the Big 12, coaches think they're the 2nd most compenent crew? I don't know about that...

Harry Beanbag
8/29/2007, 05:19 PM
I'm guessing many of those coaches have a clause in their contract in which they get a bonus for going to any bowl, regardless of their 6-6 record.

They also get the extra month (or whatever) of practice time which is valuable for the following season.

Suerreal
8/29/2007, 07:19 PM
No surprise here.

Does anyone know if the Pac-10 changed their self-serving rule of allowing only Pac-10 officials at Pac-10 fields?

Suerreal
8/29/2007, 07:21 PM
Q: The NCAA has kept the number of bowl games at 32 for the 2007 season. Is that too many, about right or not enough?

About right | 31
Too many | 6
Not enough | 1

1 = Chuck Mangino?

r5TPsooner
8/29/2007, 07:56 PM
What are the chances that Stoops & Boren tell the Huskies to get lost next year and pull out of the game in Washington?

badger
8/29/2007, 08:25 PM
Gee, really comes as a shock.:rolleyes:

http://newsok.com/article/3113400/1188395227

Coach poll: Pac-10 has worst refs

From staff reports

A poll of 42 college football coaches has found some consensus — the Pac-10 Conference has the worst referees. The poll, conducted by the Seattle Times, surveyed coaches, including Bob Stoops of Oklahoma.

The Pac-10 was the top vote-getter for conference with the ‘most incompetent officiating.' The Big Ten was voted the best. Pac-10 officials, of course, were at the heart of Oklahoma's disputed loss to Oregon last season.

Ah, a new coach's poll, I see? What does the Pac-10 win for having the SRC?

(SRC=Sh!tty Ref Champeenship)

Salt City Sooner
8/29/2007, 08:41 PM
No surprise here.

Does anyone know if the Pac-10 changed their self-serving rule of allowing only Pac-10 officials at Pac-10 fields?
They voted on it & decided to keep the policy as is.

MichiganSooner
8/29/2007, 09:03 PM
I don't know where the ref came from but way back in the late 60's or early 70's, Charles White scored a touchdown for USC. At least an official signaled TD and it counted against Michigan in the Rose Bowl. The ball was fumbled back on the 2 and a Wolverine was on top of it. Charles White's body soared over the line and somebody signalled touchdown. Boy, was Bo hot on that one. Didn't toss any yard markers javelin style like Woody but he was really ****ed.

Soonerus
8/29/2007, 09:07 PM
In a related story, Man landed on the Moon....

MichiganSooner
8/29/2007, 09:07 PM
I agree with the coach who said 6 wins to become bowl eligible is stupid. I think when they picked 6 most teams played 10 or 11 games. Going to a bowl with a 6-6 record sucks. And that is usually the goal of osu aggie. "6-6 and we are bowl eligible and a booster will buy us all a ticket so we can go for free and show everybody how well we travel (to Shreveport)."

sooneron
8/29/2007, 10:26 PM
The big 12 should have been second with incompetent.

King Crimson
8/29/2007, 11:25 PM
I don't know where the ref came from but way back in the late 60's or early 70's, Charles White scored a touchdown for USC. At least an official signaled TD and it counted against Michigan in the Rose Bowl. The ball was fumbled back on the 2 and a Wolverine was on top of it. Charles White's body soared over the line and somebody signalled touchdown. Boy, was Bo hot on that one. Didn't toss any yard markers javelin style like Woody but he was really ****ed.

if Charles White was involved, that would be the late 70's.

CW couldn't hold Billy Sims jock.

soonerspudman
8/30/2007, 12:16 AM

Not according to the Oregon replay booth...

Intown
8/30/2007, 01:00 AM
Oh Heck -- that's just East Coast bias.

So, did the all the coaches vote or did most of the ADs do it for them?

Edmond Sooner
8/30/2007, 01:20 AM
Boy, that was a tuffy for them to figure out, huh?

:rolleyes:

goingoneight
8/30/2007, 03:17 AM
My humble opinion is that post season should be earned. Not a gimme for whipping up on four OOC patsies and pulling off two upsets. Giving someone shiny trophies for 7-6 seasons to fill their "hall of fames" is stupid. It's deceiving, too.

But... but... but we gots trophies, too!!! Look at our Marlboro Lights Ash Tray Bowl trophy!!!

:les: MARLBORO LIGHTS ASHTRAY BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!

OUmillenium
8/30/2007, 09:07 AM
Pac10 has not changed their rule on pac10 refs doing non-conference games.

I thought Big 12 refs were totally incompetent through the Blake and early Stoops years. They seem to have gotten a bit better and now I rate them simply as suck.