PDA

View Full Version : 0430 Safety Meetings are awesome

1stTimeCaller
8/29/2007, 07:34 AM
Seriously Mr. Safety Guy, I understand your job and it's necessary. It's also necessary for you to generate reams of paperwork and schedule useless meetings to keep your job. I get it.

If you are going to have a morning meeting that starts an hour and a half before my shift starts to placate the floorhands on their last day, please do me the favor of having a meaningful meeting.

None of us really think the clips you download all day off of youtube are funny.

KABOOKIE
8/29/2007, 08:02 AM
:les: SAFETY IS AN ATTITUDE!!!!

SoonerBorn68
8/29/2007, 08:06 AM
Last summer I was stuck on a BP rig & safety meetings were required every 12 hours. If you missed more than 4 meetings per job they could run you off.

It was the succ.

Okla-homey
8/29/2007, 08:14 AM
When I was in the military, we found it more efficient (and popular with the folks) to have an annual safety day (no work, but get paid) and just sit thru all the safety stuff on one day. Then, we had big party with free food and drinkies paid for by "the company."

1stTimeCaller
8/29/2007, 08:28 AM
Homey, that wouldn't work in this situation.

Mongo
8/29/2007, 09:17 AM
Mr. Safety Guy is probably like all other safety guys. I am am convinced they give that position to the least liked, most mouthy *******. No one likes them. They treat people like carp for "safety" reasons.

and at 4:30 in the AM, I bet you forgot to put on your pants for the meeting

1stTimeCaller
8/29/2007, 09:28 AM
I don't bring pants to the patch.

Okla-homey
8/29/2007, 10:18 AM
Homey, that wouldn't work in this situation.

why pray tell? If the freedom of the free world can be put on ice for 8 hours for "safety day", why can't your gig?

SoonerBorn68
8/29/2007, 10:23 AM
Heh, 'cause these rigs don't stop unless something's broken. :D

1stTimeCaller
8/29/2007, 10:29 AM
The military shut down for 8 hours? I don't believe it. A squadron or Wing maybe but not the military, or even the Air Force.
This is one location and one rig, not an entire company. Doing that would be stupid.
At $750/hr that rig gets pretty danged expensive just sitting there for one thing.
We will only be here about 10 days.
I understand the reason for the pre-shift safety meeting, you get to look at each person that is about to start their shift but damn, don'waste my time by showing me what you found on youtube.

Need any more? ;)

IB4OU2
8/29/2007, 10:47 AM
Buddy, Just don't break a fingerr nail on the keyboard while taking those recordings/samples. When I was in the oil patch we had safety meetings all the time, but we were hauling exploration equipment with a Sikorsky helicopter and using a Bell up in the mountains finding oil in the overthrust belt. We lost a pilot and foreman in a copter crash two weeks before I was transferred back to the Tulsa research department.