PDA

View Full Version : We're number 1!!!

Jerk
8/29/2007, 06:03 AM
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2007-08-28T174254Z_01_L28348938_RTRUKOC_0_US-WORLD-FIREARMS.xml&src=rss&rpc=22&sp=true

By Laura MacInnis
GENEVA (Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.
U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.
About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.

"There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.
India had the world's second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.
Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.

Okla-homey
8/29/2007, 06:14 AM
And that fact, perhaps, is one of the main reason US history includes no period of government by king, poobah, potentate or dictator. Unlike those other places.

Me? I think the bill-o-rights drafters knew what they were doing.

OUinFLA
8/29/2007, 09:26 AM
be careful when you come knocking at my house late at night.
There's a 90% chance I'm one of those armed citizens.

be real careful if you don't bother to knock but just come on in anyway.
There's a 100% chance you are going to find out for sure if I'm in the 90%.

NormanPride
8/29/2007, 10:16 AM
be careful when you come knocking at my house late at night.
There's a 90% chance I'm one of those armed citizens.

be real careful if you don't bother to knock but just come on in anyway.
There's a 100% chance you are going to find out for sure if I'm in the 90%.

I'm confused. So is there a 95% chance of you being one of the 90%, 100% of the time? Or is there a 100% chance you're 90% of the people having guns?

OUinFLA
8/29/2007, 10:24 AM
I'm confused. So is there a 95% chance of you being one of the 90%, 100% of the time? Or is there a 100% chance you're 90% of the people having guns?

I'm gonna let Dean Blevins answer that one for me.
I'm sure you will then understand.

KABOOKIE
8/29/2007, 10:30 AM
OK, I’m calling complete statistical bull**** on this article. They’ve excluded guns carried by law enforcement and military. I’m sure they just conveniently left out AK-47s all together. The Soviet Union and it’s certified cronies produce over a billion AK’s that have flooded areas like Somalia, The Iraq and Liberia.

yermom
8/29/2007, 10:41 AM
yeah, it's got to only include "registered" firearms, right?

ousoonerfan
8/29/2007, 10:46 AM
OK, I’m calling complete statistical bull**** on this article. They’ve excluded guns carried by law enforcement and military. I’m sure they just conveniently left out AK-47s all together. The Soviet Union and it’s certified cronies produce over a billion AK’s that have flooded areas like Somalia, The Iraq and Liberia.

heh!

boomersooner28
8/29/2007, 02:06 PM
Well, guess it's time for me to pony up and get a gun. I don't wanna be the guy without the gun. That would suck.