PDA

View Full Version : How many Sooner Fans don't like Barry Switzer?

stoopified
8/28/2007, 11:57 PM
And why?I was startled to read on another thread that some Sooner fans either are indifferent to Barry or plain don't like him.So the question is ,how many Sooner fans don't like Barry and why?

My personal feeling is that most OU fans who do not care for the man are too young to recall the glory days of the '70's and '80's and only know what they have heard or read about the end of the Switzer era.

I don't claim the man is a saint, I do have issues with some of his personal conduct.As a coach he iwas an incredible leader,motivator,recruiter,and better atXs and Os than people give him credit for.As a coach my biggest gripe was Switzers' unwillingness to use the pass.Still when you when 83.7 % of your games(4th all-time in NCAA history) you must be doing something very right.

Barry's philosophy on passing was 3 things can happen when you pass and 2 of them are bad.Oddly enough Barry's arch-rival at UT Benedict Royal had the same attitude dating back to the '50s(yeah I don't like Royal).I have always believed with even an average passing attack Barry's teams would have been unstoppable.

batonrougesooner
8/28/2007, 11:59 PM
How many Sooner fans don't like Barry Switzer?

I don't understand the question.

ouwasp
8/29/2007, 12:15 AM
That's like saying Republicans don't like Ronald Reagan.

Those Sooner fans must have prefered Gary Gibbs. Or even John Blake :eek:

Their credibility is zilch.

freshchris05
8/29/2007, 12:31 AM
im not old enough to remember barry's hayday but i am a fan or his... i read bootlegger's boy for god's sake(which reminds me we havent had a, "Bootlegger's Boy Motion Picture" casting, thread in a while) barry was a good coach who had a closeness with his players you dont see alot of anymore. Barry wasnt a strict coach but he wasnt such a i dont give a damn as long as we win coach either... athletes have egos and when your winning all the time your ego gets larger and you think your god's gift to the world. i mean think of all the sh*t that happened during his era, how much of that is solely the coaching staff's fault?

goingoneight
8/29/2007, 12:34 AM
It's kind of hard not to like the guy. He was responsible for his players being idiots, but it's the same situation with Bomar... you can't be behind 85+ players' backs all the time to slap them silly.

olevetonahill
8/29/2007, 12:35 AM
WTF ?????????????????
:confused:

olevetonahill
8/29/2007, 12:39 AM
What ****in thread ! ?:eek:

Ardmore_Sooner
8/29/2007, 12:44 AM
Where can I download a Boomer Sooner ringtone?

goingoneight
8/29/2007, 12:54 AM
Why do they call it 'WTF?'

olevetonahill
8/29/2007, 01:12 AM
Cause every thing gotta be called sompun ! ;)

the_edge
8/29/2007, 01:34 AM
He's not "The King" because OU fans don't like him.

That Switzer Center place, with all the trophies and stuff? Yeah, same Switzer.

Jewstin
8/29/2007, 02:11 AM
I know what you mean. I've heard some of this talk of Sooner fans distancing themselves because of the NCAA sanctions that were handed down.

From a relational side of things, there is none better than Barry Switzer. You can see the kind of relationship he had with his players with all the locker room footage. A lot of coaches are great at scheming and developing plays, but coaching is (in my opinion and in organizational contexts) primarily about motivating and having soft skills. Even though he was still brilliant with X's and O's, they pale in comparison to his relational abilities.

I was only 5 or 6 during the late 80s, and I've read all sorts of documentation of what went on under his tenure ... but, given the NCAA's propensity to give preferential treatment (while hammering others), I can't help but see a connection between OU's involvement with the antitrust lawsuit and the fact that shortly thereafter, the **** suddenly hit the fan. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but it seemed like they were getting back at us.

I don't believe any of the garbage that any program spews nowadays about how clean their programs are (even Penn State, which is supposedly the cleanest in the country). It is utterly impossible to police student athletes to the extent that the NCAA likes to pretend exists. It happens everywhere, and I do not fault Switzer in the least. In this context, everyone else doing it makes it right.

All that being said, I have a different perspective of the line between amateur and professional status. To me, if the rules are screwed up to begin with (and in this case, I believe they are), I'm not going to blindly support them just because they are the rules. Granted, I may have to follow them, but I will certainly never judge a person for stepping on/over a line that is already horribly blurred to begin with (the amateur/professional distinction, in this context).

I'll probably get negged for that, but that's my take.

OUHOMER
8/29/2007, 05:23 AM
I like him, however, his ship did get loose, and i would not leave my wife alone with him back in the day.:D

he was a great coach, there is NO DOUBT

SelmaBamaFan
8/29/2007, 06:41 AM
I think if anyone admitted to not liking The King on this board, should probably leave. Well hell, they'd get run off anyways :D

AlbqSooner
8/29/2007, 06:42 AM
There was a moment in Billy Sims' senior year that encapsulates Switzer's relationship with his players. As the clock wound down in the Nebraska game, with maybe 5 seconds remaining, and an OU victory assured, the team assembled at the line of scrimmage to watch the final seconds tick away. Switzer sprinted onto the field and leapt into Sims arms much as players do following a touchdown. Switzer loves the game, he loves his players, he loves OU, and he loves to win.

KantoSooner
8/29/2007, 07:31 AM
The reason some dislike Switzer is that he was a throwback to an earlier era in which making the OU squad was a covetted priviledge and something that a person would strive to protect.
Sometime during the 1960s and 1970s, this attitude was replaced with one in which individuals were entitled to many things rather than having to work for them.
Switzer failed to recognize this, continued to treat his players as though they cared as much as he did. 99% did. 1% screwed him over.
it happens.
he's still the King.

Sooner in Tampa
8/29/2007, 07:32 AM
This thread should be locked...it is damn blasphemy!!!

stoopified
8/29/2007, 07:45 AM
WTF ?????????????????
:confused:
That is my opinion too,to me a Sooner not liking Barry should be considered unSooner,but I did read some anti-Barry comments on another thread.It was shocking to me As I staed inmt original post I assume these are younger fns who only know what they read or heard about Barry and the DARK DAYS at the end of his tenure.I sure can't imagine anyone meeting Barry and not liking him.

I don't want to name names but check out the pro or Anti-Aikman thread.Decide some seem to not like like him because of his Cowboys tenure but at least a couple have OU axes to grind IMHO.I have also heard comments from people I have met over the years who call Barry a DIRTY coach or a cheater.

fwsooner22
8/29/2007, 08:40 AM
On Saturday, in every section there will be a handful of people who appear to not even care what is going on. Everyone will be on their feet cheering and yet there will be a few who don't even bother to get up, cheer or even smile. The appear to be near death and yet they are but 35 to 55 years old. It has always amazed me.... What is wrong with these people? I will submit to you that they are the same miserable people who hide out behind a keyboard and throw stones at the "Kings" legacy.

Let me say this; don't ever let yourself be known to me you little p!$$ants. I will not be responsible for what might happen to you.

Long Live the King.

Paperclip
8/29/2007, 08:47 AM
I believe I'm one of the folks to whom this thread is referring. I've had season tickets since while Barry was still coaching. I never said I didn't like him. I just said I'm not a big fan. There's no arguing against his on-field success or how much it seems every one who ever played for him loves him, maybe with a few exceptions. However, in addition to the three national championships, etc. that he's added to the press box he brought his share of embarrassment to OU as well. I don't dislike him. I just don't think he hung the moon like a lot of other Sooner fans.

usmc-sooner
8/29/2007, 08:48 AM
I've never met a Sooner fan who doesn't like Switzer, I know of only one who doesn't like Stoops and that's Nick.

OUmillenium
8/29/2007, 08:58 AM
Without having read the thread, I will say zero.

Every real Sooner fan likes (loves?) Barry Switzer.

zeke
8/29/2007, 09:08 AM
I like him

soonervegas
8/29/2007, 09:14 AM
I am with a previous poster:

Dislike him? No.

Think he hung the moon? No.

Barry was a great recruiter and clutch big game coach. His program bent the rules to the breaking point and as a graduate I would like to think OU can win without wholesale cheating. I will take Bob and the way he runs his current program (Big Red Auto notwithstanding) over Barry's. Just a personal preference.

But I would never talk bad about the guy. He won 3 National Titles for crying out loud.

fwsooner22
8/29/2007, 09:30 AM
I am with a previous poster:

Dislike him? No.

Think he hung the moon? No.

Barry was a great recruiter and clutch big game coach. His program bent the rules to the breaking point and as a graduate I would like to think OU can win without wholesale cheating. I will take Bob and the way he runs his current program (Big Red Auto notwithstanding) over Barry's. Just a personal preference.

But I would never talk bad about the guy. He won 3 National Titles for crying out loud.

Naysayers..........We would not be where we are today without Coach Switzer....What you being a graduate has to do with it I have no idea....I am a graduate too but there are people who never set foot in a classroom who have done more for the University than I. There are non-graduates who go to more games than me, who give more money than me, etc. I let go of that a long time ago.

In the days of Switzer, "bending the rules" was rampant everywhere but that does not constitute "wholesale cheating". I hate probation and rule breaking but to take the ultimate high road is wrong and blind. As I have always said about people who take shots at the 70's and 80's. Name the "wholesale cheating". Go ahead I am sure there are plenty of people who will be ready to see your version of the "wholesale cheating" that went on during the Switzer era. ;) ;) ;)

SteelClip49
8/29/2007, 09:31 AM
I have heard both who say he is great and say he is a jerk. I am one of those guys who never got to experience the 70s and I sure as hell do not remember anything from the 80s, even though I was born in 1983. First thing that I remember was going to games in the Gary Gibbs era and where we could go on the field after games and get pics taken with coaches and players.

As far as switzer is concerned, like I said, I have heard both feelings toward him; that he is unpleasant and a jerk and he is also kind-hearted and a class act to talk with.

I was at O'Connell's last April duing a PKG story on the bar being permanent;y moved to Campus Corner and the ground its on now will be used for other establishments. I happened to be there at the right time because not only was I able to get an interview with the owner, I was able to get one from Coach Switzer because it was the same day as Joe Washington's introduction to the O Club; the bar was reserved obviously for the O Club. I was nervous at first, being a fan but also being a news employee at UCO. He agreed to say a few words but asked me if I wanted to talk football with him first. THE KING ASKED ME IF I WANTED TO TALK FOOTBALL WITH HIM!!!!!!! Chills all over and I suddenly forgot why I was there. But I told him that I appreciated it and said that I did not want to take much of his time, other than the interview, because he had his former players around him and I was moreso in the way. I was expecting a brief explanation but he gave me over 2:30, said thank you and shook my hand. Moments like that make an autograph not worth a damn because a moment, handshake is a memory that will last forever. THE KING is much more than what he did on the football field. HE IS COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

badger
8/29/2007, 09:34 AM
And why?

I used to not like him because as a Packer fan, I have terrible memories of him beating us in an ugly manner--- not ugly, as in outscored, outplayed, etc., but in ugly in the way the Cowboys played. They were petty, dirty, and sent one of our players and our aged defensive coordinator (now deceased) off on an emergency cart.

I've met him a few times since coming to OU and he really does love the university. However, I still can't forget poor Fritz and those bad games. It makes me think that just like in 80s with the Sooners, he let the Cowboys players do what they want, even if it made the team look like a bunch of remorseless thugs

texashater#1
8/29/2007, 09:42 AM
i love the man. when i went to the fiesta bowl we were on the bus back to the airport and the king sat right next to me and it was the best feeling ever, and i never even saw him coach.

soonervegas
8/29/2007, 09:44 AM
[/QUOTE] We would not be where we are today without Coach Switzer....(agreed)What you being a graduate has to do with it I have no idea(the fact that the University is more to me than just athletics and I think we have the resources available to play by the rules on any stage)....I am a graduate too but there are people who never set foot in a classroom who have done more for the University than I. (totally agree) There are non-graduates who go to more games than me, who give more money than me, etc. (I totally agree.) I let go of that a long time ago. (I think you missed my point about being a gradute)

In the days of Switzer, "bending the rules" was rampant everywhere but that does not constitute "wholesale cheating". (I agree that it did go on at other schools who did not get caught, but it didn't go on at every school.) I hate probation and rule breaking but to take the ultimate high road is wrong and blind. (I am not taking the ultimate high road....I am giving Stoop a pass on the the Big Red Auto stuff...you can't control everything) As I have always said about people who take shots at the 70's and 80's. Name the "wholesale cheating". (It is published....if you think the stuff in the 80's was fine I respect your right to have your head in the clouds) Go ahead I am sure there are plenty of people who will be ready to see your version of the "wholesale cheating" that went on during the Switzer era. (Funny and so true) ;) ;) ;)[/QUOTE]

stoopified
8/29/2007, 10:07 AM
I question to all you who say you dislike or are indifferent to Barry because of probation in'88,why does Bud get a free pass(OU went on probation 3 times under him) and for that matter What about Bob? We are on probstion now under his watch.Not meant to bash but what gives?Why the double standard?I love Bennie,Bud,Barry,Bob all,whatever arts they may have.

Taxman71
8/29/2007, 10:27 AM
Have to love Switzer, the coach, if you are an OU fan. Period.

However, that doesn't mean I would let him babysit my wife or daughter:D

Paperclip
8/29/2007, 10:34 AM
I question to all you who say you dislike or are indifferent to Barry because of probation in'88,why does Bud get a free pass(OU went on probation 3 times under him) and for that matter What about Bob? We are on probstion now under his watch.Not meant to bash but what gives?Why the double standard?I love Bennie,Bud,Barry,Bob all,whatever arts they may have.

These threads weren't about them. I'm 36 and wasn't around for Bennie and Bud. I already stated that it's impossible to argue with Barry's results as a coach. However, I just don't have the blind devotion to the man it seems so many have.

goodonya
8/29/2007, 11:12 AM
The reason some dislike Switzer is that he was a throwback to an earlier era in which making the OU squad was a covetted priviledge and something that a person would strive to protect.
Sometime during the 1960s and 1970s, this attitude was replaced with one in which individuals were entitled to many things rather than having to work for them.
Switzer failed to recognize this, continued to treat his players as though they cared as much as he did. 99% did. 1% screwed him over.
it happens.
he's still the King.

The gospel. Entitlement and the press shift from reporting the news to making the news among other things.

picasso
8/29/2007, 11:28 AM
It's kind of hard not to like the guy. He was responsible for his players being idiots, but it's the same situation with Bomar... you can't be behind 85+ players' backs all the time to slap them silly.
huh?

IndianJack
8/29/2007, 11:39 AM
I used to not like him because as a Packer fan, I have terrible memories of him beating us in an ugly manner--- not ugly, as in outscored, outplayed, etc., but in ugly in the way the Cowboys played. They were petty, dirty, and sent one of our players and our aged defensive coordinator (now deceased) off on an emergency cart.

I've met him a few times since coming to OU and he really does love the university. However, I still can't forget poor Fritz and those bad games. It makes me think that just like in 80s with the Sooners, he let the Cowboys players do what they want, even if it made the team look like a bunch of remorseless thugs

"Remorseless thugs" huh? Let's take a good look in the mirror there, badger. Is Beamer responsible for his thugs, as well? Go castrate a turkey, and don't dare speak for us other okies with that hokies bullsh!t.

IndianJack
8/29/2007, 11:41 AM
The streets will flow with the blood of the nonbelievers.

UberSooner
8/29/2007, 11:54 AM
I think i'll start a thread for all us Packer fans that hate Vince Lombardi and maybe while i'm at it i'll round up all the true blue Cowboy fans that despise Tom Landry. That thread along with this one will be so huge it may shut the server down :rolleyes:

FaninAma
8/29/2007, 12:04 PM
Great coach and great Sooner. And, just like all of us, he has his personal faults.

stoopified
8/29/2007, 12:15 PM
Great coach and great Sooner. And, just like all of us, he has his personal faults.
That says it all ,brother.

Easting
8/29/2007, 12:18 PM
I fully expected to hear crickets chirping upon opening this thread.

MiccoMacey
8/29/2007, 12:35 PM
I'll say it...I loved him when I was younger. Growing up in the 80's, I had a newsclip on my wall that talked about how Switzer's winning percentage being ahead of all the other great coaches. He was like an idol.

I disliked him as he resigned over the scandals of the day. He brought discredit to something I held dear. It took awhile for me to see it in a different perspective.

Now that I'm older, and have been a college-level coach, I see what he went through, and how a coach...a good coach...might stick his neck out for a kid. Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. But you always back your kids when in doubt.

His name is tarnished for doing some things he shouldn't have done. But every man faulters. Should he be remembered for his few faults, or for his great achievements?

It's like the architect who builds 1,000,000 bridges that are the world's standard for bridges, but is remembered for the one bridge that collapsed (There's another analogy like this story, but this is a family board :D).

OU Adonis
8/29/2007, 12:52 PM
Great leaders are dynamic with interesting personalities. Thats what makes them great leaders. They are outgoing, outspoken and strong willed. Look back in history of most great leaders and you will find some flaws in their character. Barry may have had some character flaws, but he is the KING for a reason. For those of you who do not understand why he is called that or don't agree with it because you are indifferent or don't like him, you are really missing out on what its meant to be a Sooner fan. Bud built what is Oklahoma football. Barry cemented what it is, a powerhouse that will never die. His NCAA infractions really don't look as big as people make it out to be, especially when you consider whats happened the last 10 years of the game.

Seamus
8/29/2007, 01:19 PM
I like him, however, his ship did get loose, and i would not leave my wife alone with him back in the day.:D

Shoot, if my wife is hot enough to have a one-nighter with The King, then I must be doing all right. :cool:

TUSooner
8/29/2007, 01:29 PM
I think even Barry's biggest critics back in the day "liked" him. And the farther away we get from the bad times, the more people love him.
I liked him then and like him more now, but there's no doubt he caused OU some embarrassment that made even the biggest fans wince. Some younger folk don't remember that unpleasant stuff. Believe me, when another school has problems like the worst problms OU had, some Barry-worshippers on this board will be the first to call for a lynch mob for that school's coach.
Y'all stop acting like stoopified asked if OU was really your favorite team. :rolleyes:

TUSooner
8/29/2007, 01:31 PM
I'll say it...I loved him when I was younger. Growing up in the 80's, I had a newsclip on my wall that talked about how Switzer's winning percentage being ahead of all the other great coaches. He was like an idol.

I disliked him as he resigned over the scandals of the day. He brought discredit to something I held dear. It took awhile for me to see it in a different perspective.

Now that I'm older, and have been a college-level coach, I see what he went through, and how a coach...a good coach...might stick his neck out for a kid. Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. But you always back your kids when in doubt.

His name is tarnished for doing some things he shouldn't have done. But every man faulters. Should he be remembered for his few faults, or for his great achievements?

It's like the architect who builds 1,000,000 bridges that are the world's standard for bridges, but is remembered for the one bridge that collapsed (There's another analogy like this story, but this is a family board :D).
THAT is a good perspective.

DarrellZero
8/29/2007, 02:05 PM
Personally I think a man has a right to be judged according to who he is rather than who he was.

I think, in his earlier days, Barry was a bit of a jerk. Attending OU in the 80s, I heard various stories about him mistreating people (although I can't personallly attest to this) and everyone has heard the stories about Lacewell's wife.

These days however, Barry is one of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. I've often seen him at the 7-Eleven on Chautauqua just hanging out and talking with random people. It appears that Barry now values human relationships about all else.

okienole3
8/29/2007, 02:10 PM
Two words: Payday Loans.

SoonerBOI
8/29/2007, 03:30 PM
I like Barry no matter what.

wishbonesooner
8/29/2007, 03:53 PM
I think more than any of our opinions, the proof of the greatness of the man is how his former players talk about him. I've never heard one of his players, other than Aikman, have a bad word to say about him. They talk about him like they would their own dad, IMHO, he is a great man. Warts and all, I'm forever glad he was our coach.

olevetonahill
8/29/2007, 04:36 PM
I think more than any of our opinions, the proof of the greatness of the man is how his former players talk about him. I've never heard one of his players, other than Aikman, have a bad word to say about him. They talk about him like they would their own dad, IMHO, he is a great man. Warts and all, I'm forever glad he was our coach.
Tony C ring any bells ?

wishbonesooner
8/29/2007, 04:51 PM
Enlighten me.

olevetonahill
8/29/2007, 05:04 PM
Enlighten me.
I never paid a lot of tention to it But I heard Tony C was like TA about Barry

Jewstin
8/29/2007, 05:10 PM
I've often seen him at the 7-Eleven on Chautauqua just hanging out and talking with random people.

Man, in the countless hundreds of times I've been in there, the only person I've ever seen was Adrian Peterson.

I think I would **** myself if I ran into Switzer in there while buying a pack of smokes. Yowza.

I did, however, run into Juaquin Iglesias at Tarajumara's the other day ... =O

badger
8/29/2007, 08:16 PM
"Remorseless thugs" huh? Let's take a good look in the mirror there, badger. Is Beamer responsible for his thugs, as well? Go castrate a turkey, and don't dare speak for us other okies with that hokies bullsh!t.
ok, you're an idiot and a n00b if you think i'm a virginia tech fan. I posted that because of the shooting last spring, NOT because I'm a hokie fan. If you didn't realize that, you're an idiot. And if you didn't notice the fact that I've had more than 4,000 pro-Sooner posts here and virtually none mentioning va tech, then you're a n00b... and a lazy n00b at that.

although it appears others have already done it, you will now get a healthy dose of neg spek from me.

badger
8/29/2007, 08:19 PM
I think i'll start a thread for all us Packer fans that hate Vince Lombardi:rolleyes:
Well now that you mention it, he DID leave Green Bay to coach elsewhere, despite the fact that half the town is named after him (ok, just a few things, but still...)

You'd get more of a response from Packer fans that hate Mike Holmgren. Sure he won a Super Bowl with us and took us to another, but he left for Seattle after we gave him Holmgren Way :mad:

ouwasp
8/29/2007, 11:10 PM
The 1st Amendment does not apply to "Sooner Fans" that don't like the King.

Go elsewhere.

Don't come back.

Soonerus
8/29/2007, 11:15 PM
If you don't "like Barry" you should be perma-banned from SF , IMO ...that's it..

OUHOMER
8/30/2007, 05:19 AM
Shoot, if my wife is hot enough to have a one-nighter with The King, then I must be doing all right. :cool:

She is and I am:D

Jacie
8/30/2007, 07:27 AM
Why we love him:

What we call the era of modern football began after WWII. For Sooners this was the Bud Wilkinson years and he made OUr team great, which gave rise to the legend that is Oklahoma football even today. But what you don't hear or read about much are Bud's years after the mid 50's. Oklahoma football went into decline whilst OUr rival to the south began to enjoy success. For most years during the 60's going to Dallas meant seeing the Sooners get it handed to em. We had all of one exceptional year in 1967 and there was the career of Steve Owens after that but OU was a long way from the glory years of the 50's. Chuck Fairbanks came in and in an effort to turn things around in 1970 installed the wishbone offense. The Sooners were still learning how to run it when the whorns were nice enough to take OUr team to school one afternoon showing how its done and scoring 40 points in the process.

No one had ever seen an offense as productive as the Sooner ground attack of 1971. OU rolled over opponents, including southern cow, like the tide rushing in. Nothing could stop Oklahoma's running backs or even slow em down. Greg Pruitt averaged almost 10 yards a carry! Jack Mildren looked like Magic Johnson in the NBA the way he would hold hold hold the ball till the last second then make a perfect no-look pitch to the trailing back. Even in a loss to the nebbish the Sooners looked great. The Sooners went on to back-to-back 11-1 seasons and National Championships seemed attainable once again.

At the end of the 72 season Chuck left Oklahoma, some think to avoid what was coming down the pike in the form of probation. Barry took over in 73 and what happened next was . . . magical!

Despite not being on television or going to bowl games the Sooners won and won and won some more for the better part of three seasons without losing. We didn't lose . . . ever, not to any team. Kinda hard to hate a coach who delivers an incredible win streak and back-top-back National Championships.

I can forgive Barry for what happened in the 80's because as has been pointed out, the game or the players did change. Barry was no saint but he will always be The King.

SwitzerFan
8/30/2007, 08:35 AM
If this tells you anything. I am loyal to Switzer first then the Sooners. There is no "Sooners" without Barry. He is the KING! There will never be another one like him.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/30/2007, 10:02 AM

This right here is why if I had a uterus, I'd be squirting out Brett Favre's kids left and right.

As a fellow Packer fan and born and bred Sooner, those games were tough. I've disliked the Cowpukes from jump and I'll be damned if arguably one of the greatest coaches ever, the face of Sooner football, signs up with that monkey stool Jerry Jones. Rough days. But there's solace.

Thanksgiving. Don't remember the year. Packers versus Cowvomit in Cowvomit land. Packers are driving and Favre takes a shot right to the chops in what would now be a 15 yard hanky for helmet to helmet. The drive continues and with the Green and Gold in the red zone, the camera takes a zoom shot of Favre's face as he goes under center. He's got blood running down his lip and he looks like he's got a chronic case of ****ed off. And I'll be danged if the Pack didn't punch it in. But that camera shot said it all. Were it guts alone the Pack would've won in a romp. But it wasn't meant to be that day, I guess.

Money says Favre's wallet has 'BAD MOTHERF*****' stamped on it.

IndianJack
8/30/2007, 11:15 AM
ok, you're an idiot and a n00b if you think i'm a virginia tech fan. I posted that because of the shooting last spring, NOT because I'm a hokie fan. If you didn't realize that, you're an idiot. And if you didn't notice the fact that I've had more than 4,000 pro-Sooner posts here and virtually none mentioning va tech, then you're a n00b... and a lazy n00b at that.

although it appears others have already done it, you will now get a healthy dose of neg spek from me.

B-O-O-H-O-O

So you're a bandwagon VA polytech fan. Haven't you heard? They're America's team. :rolleyes: Sooner fan or not, your pitiful sympathy for those poor victims manifested by a VT logo and goofy rhymes make me want to puke. Has Oprah called yet? Perhaps there will be a piece in People?

While you're at it, don't forget Charles Whitman and his psycho-a$$. So I guess that makes you a closet texas fan, too.:eek:

By the way, I can see that you have many more pro-Sooner posts than I. However, I've always been a quality over quantity guy. To single someone out based solely on their number of posts, or lack thereof, is weak, sophomoric and completely lacks argumentative weight. Get that cheese outta your ears, doll.

Don't stop now, give me more!

IndianJack
8/30/2007, 11:31 AM
Baj, I almost forgot. I did have something nice to say about ya. I do appreciate you signing your neg spek, at least. Unlike some anonymous pussies out there. Fellas, don't worry. You're not gonna hurt my feelings. It's okay to identify yourself when you are unhappy with someone else's thoughts.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/30/2007, 11:54 AM
I am unhappy with your inflammatory posts.

My name is Justin, known as Tulsa_Fireman on these boards.

Have some neg, troll.

IndianJack
8/30/2007, 12:11 PM
I am unhappy with your inflammatory posts.

My name is Justin, known as Tulsa_Fireman on these boards.

Have some neg, troll.

Thank you for your honesty. I don't know if inflammatory is the right word, but if it's the first word that comes to mind, so be it. Troll seems kind of hateful and unsubstantiated, though. Perhaps even inflammatory. Don't ya think?

Speaking of things that are "flaming", Favre called and he's a little unhappy with the whole herpe simplex 10 thing, although he was thoughtful enough to suggest that you get yourself checked out.;)

IndianJack
8/30/2007, 12:12 PM
Oh, I do like your sig, by the way.

C&CDean
8/30/2007, 01:03 PM
Yo, Indian Jack. A suggestion. Take it or leave it.

STFU.

You're welcome.

Badger has proven herself on this board over time. You have not. She's also a Packer fan, which makes her a notch above everyone else around here that isn't. Especially Dallas Kuhboy fans.

So, tread lightly.

You're welcome.

sooneron
8/30/2007, 01:07 PM
B-O-O-H-O-O

So you're a bandwagon VA polytech fan. Haven't you heard? They're America's team. :rolleyes: Sooner fan or not, your pitiful sympathy for those poor victims manifested by a VT logo and goofy rhymes make me want to puke. Has Oprah called yet? Perhaps there will be a piece in People?

WTF? That is some classless **** right there. What the hell is wrong with you? Mama didn't love you?

TexasLidig8r
8/30/2007, 01:37 PM
Barry is perhaps the quintessential enigma. I had the pleasure one time of tossing back a few drinks with Barry. Despite my burnt orange blood, because of the stories he told and the obvious love of life he still exuded... I couldn't help but like the man. Truly, a man who many people can immediately like. It was very easy to see why he was a good recruiter. And, I would toss back a few with him again any day of the week and enjoy the hell out of it.

Having said that, there was a September 6, 2006 article in the Arkansas Democratic Gazette in which Barry admitted to acts which would have gotten OU in even deeper trouble in the 70s had they come to light... there of course have been other things that have come to light over the years which as a Texas alum, make it impossible to respect the manner in which he won.

Nonetheless,,, perhaps he is the perfect character, the ultimate personification of OU football.

IndianJack
8/30/2007, 01:55 PM
Mon amis. I implore you to not get me wrong. My ire nor my remarks are/were not aimed at anyone who personally had to deal with what happened at VT last spring. My spelling of "boo-hoo" was directed at baj's kneejerk reaction to my calling her out. However, I can see how it could have been misinterpreted. My apologies for not being more clear. Like all of you, I sat disgusted and horrified at what was unfolding on their campus last spring.

That being said, this whole retarded thing started with a preposterous insinuation that King (at one time this was a King thread, I'm positive)somehow was responsible for a late hit on Brett Favre and something to do with a Green Bay assistant coach.

Moreover, no matter the team, no matter the region, it is inevitable that a team will have some "thugs." In a violent sport like the one we all love, there are going to be those, who for whatever reason, can't leave it on the field, in between the whistles. To suggest that coaches are automatically responsible for this behavior (on and off the field) is ludicrous.

What is bothersome as well is how quick we are to take a situation such as what happened at VT, and exploit it in whatever manner we choose. Then when someone speaks out against this, they must automatically be a heartless, loveless, hate-mongerer. This simply does not follow. The fact that media outlets and countless fans out there have all of a sudden became VT football fans (for no other reason than b/c of what happened), and expect the rest of us to blindly follow suit, just doesn't jive with me.

So...I really have no love for Jerry Jones or the Cowboys. I am, at most, indifferent towards the Pack. I have no reason to believe that badger hasn't provided some insightful posts over her 4,000+ post career. My problem was with only a couple of them, and that is what I spoke out about. Hell, I was apparently a pretty well-liked guy until this whole charade came up. I guess none of us are immune from saying dumb-a$$ sh!t in the eyes of others from time to time.

Now let's all take a deap breath, and count to 10. I know I feel better. :)

Orange squares or not. ;)

The Maestro
8/30/2007, 02:03 PM
Having said that, there was a September 6, 2006 article in the Arkansas Democratic Gazette in which Barry admitted to acts which would have gotten OU in even deeper trouble in the 70s had they come to light... there of course have been other things that have come to light over the years which as a Texas alum, make it impossible to respect the manner in which he won.

Nonetheless,,, perhaps he is the perfect character, the ultimate personification of OU football.

Almost a compliment, but then you go with this crap...especially the whining about the "manner in which he won." Heck, Barry did not even have that great of a record against Texas compared to some of the other schools he dominated.

Just remember that your legendary coaches were a former OU player and a decent assistant at OU. Now go get that flower tattoo before Saturday night's game.

IndianJack
8/30/2007, 02:07 PM
Sooneron, I appreciate the forward, and self-deprecating way in which you fixed your spek of me. I have no issues with the mistaken green square being stricken from my credibility/likeability/personna/whatever. I'm a big Quint fan, too, by the way.

TXBOOMER
8/30/2007, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=TexasLidig8r]Barry is perhaps the quintessential enigma. Having said that, there was a September 6, 2006 article in the Arkansas Democratic Gazette in which Barry admitted to acts which would have gotten OU in even deeper trouble in the 70s had they come to light... there of course have been other things that have come to light over the years which as a Texas alum, make it impossible to respect the manner in which he won.

Hey G8r,
Go watch a replay of the 1984 OU - texass game. Barry had to do whatever he could to try and win games. It was tough to beat texass prior to the world wide web and ESPN highlights. Barry Switzer for President. F texass...Boomer Sooner

badger
8/30/2007, 06:36 PM
B-O-O-H-O-O

While you're at it, don't forget Charles Whitman and his psycho-a$$. So I guess that makes you a closet texas fan, too.:eek:

By the way, I can see that you have many more pro-Sooner posts than I. However, I've always been a quality over quantity guy. To single someone out based solely on their number of posts, or lack thereof, is weak, sophomoric and completely lacks argumentative weight. Get that cheese outta your ears, doll.

Don't stop now, give me more!
Ehhh... I suppose now's a good time to make known the fact that I had to Google "Beamer" to find out exactly why you were flaming my Switzer/Cowboy rant. I would not consider myself a "bandwagoner" for Va Tech, rather, I sympathize with what their university went through. I really couldn't care less about their football team, or any of their athletic programs. However, I think Va Tech students would call themselves "Hokies" just like OU students would call themselves "Sooners," so that's where the rhyme came from-- not any sudden urge to support VT.

I've personally sat down and spoken with Barry Switzer. He is nice, personable man. He supports his players, even those running for office. The only bitterness I have for him are those ugly moments from when I was a young Packer fan watching my beloved team get bullied--- and yes, it was bullying. Never have I seen such terrible officiating... well, until last year.

As C&C kindly pointed out, I've been a Sooner fan (and usually a closet Badger fan, unless you consider my username attached to every post) undeniably for the past six-seven years since attending and graduating from OU. I have no idea who that Texas guy you mentioned is.

Ah well, YMSNRA (yes, I added an "n" in for neg), so back on subject...

As stated, I've met and personally spoken to Barry Switzer (my job involves such perks without the monstrous alumni donations!). Nice guy. But, because my football knowledge is mostly pro-level instead of college lever, I didn't even know of him as the legendary Sooner coach upon coming to OU... he was just the leader of thuggy Dallas to me!

I believe my original post said this to that this was my previous opinion of him and it is no longer--- nice guy, just had some rough past moments.

PLaw
8/30/2007, 06:39 PM
That's like saying Republicans don't like Ronald Reagan.

Those Sooner fans must have prefered Gary Gibbs. Or even John Blake :eek:

Their credibility is zilch.

Not sure I understand the original question - sure I was ****ed as heck about the stuff that went down in the mid-80's, but cause me not to like Barry - puuhlleeeze.

BTW, Gary Gibbs did more for this football than you will ever understand. We we're microns from the death penalty and he kept the ship afloat. If you don't understand the death penalty, then look no farther than SMU.

BOOMER
PLaw

TXBOOMER
8/30/2007, 06:47 PM
What big time football program could not have got SMU'd in the mid 80's if the NCAA would have done a thorough investigation? Nebraska? Texas? Florida State? Alabama? Shhhhhaaaaaaatt.

stoopified
8/30/2007, 08:14 PM
Not sure I understand the original question - sure I was ****ed as heck about the stuff that went down in the mid-80's, but cause me not to like Barry - puuhlleeeze.

BTW, Gary Gibbs did more for this football than you will ever understand. We we're microns from the death penalty and he kept the ship afloat. If you don't understand the death penalty, then look no farther than SMU.

BOOMER
PLaw
The original question is simply how many of you ,my fellow sooner fans ,do not like Barry and why?

Apparently I had operated under the naive impression that Barry was universally loved by Sooner fans.I started this thread to find out(at least amng Sooner Fan members)Why anyone did not like Barry.The conclusion I have come to is two-fold,some think he was the cheat that he was painted as by national media,others point to the scandal of probation and off-field incidents.

Adressing the CHEATING image first.Yes OU went under probation under Switzer in 1988.What was Barry fond personally guilty of?Paying coaches and support staff too much money(and out of his own pocket no less). Ironically one of the coaches that Barry overpaid was Appalachina State headman Mack Brown ,who Barry hired to be offensive co-ordinator.Allowing staff to offer illegall inducements to recruits was a charge also levelled at him.He to this day denies that he or ANY OU coach ever offered extras to players.One particular allegation was that OU offered Hart Lee Dykes $1,000 to come to OU.Barry says it never happened becauseEVERYONE KNEW osu was giving him a car,$1,000 amonth and an apartment.Another allegation was that Barry and Coach Selmon told players IF THEY CAME TO OU,THEY WOULD BE TAKEN CARE OF.Despite vagueness of language the NCAA found OU guilty of offering inducements in this instance too.

Yes some players were given money and use of cars (Scott Garl is the ONE player I recall that the NCAA actually had a case on) but this WAS NOT orchestrated by Barry or his staff.Switzer does admit that some recruits asked for and recieved OU caps and tee-shirts on recruiting trips.

Among THINGS THAT CAME TO LIGHT LATER,Barry admitted paying baby-sitters(varsity players of course) $100 dollars an hour.Billy Sims also got a loan (against NCAA rules) from Barry but this was not part of the NCAA investigation.These were all things Coach wrote in his book years late

r.So if you want to think Barry is a cheat be my guest.It should be noted by OU fans who are down on Barry for this that Bud put us on probation 3 times,not just once.UT fans (this mans you.Lid) don't get carried away as Royal got you on probation 3 times as well.My point is that Barry has been villified by something two other LEGENDS in the region did and HE is the ONLY bad guy.How is that fair?

For those who say Barry humiliated or embarrassed OU and the state by runnin a lawless ship,my question to you is why were there no rampages for the FIRST 15 years Barry was at OU.What happened was terrible but was a
result of players breaking the law ,not Barry.SI jumped on Barry for the actions of a handul of Barry's players,culminating in Charles Thompson in orange jumpsuit and cuffs on the SI cover.

Why didn't this happen with the gang rape in the Notre Dame football dorm or with Mc Cartney at Colorado and his players who had a felony list of over 30 charges.Then there is my favorite Saint,Dr. Tom,who had a whole slew of thugs on his squad.The Christian brothers(there is irony for ya) cahrged with sexual assault,rape,asault(including almost putting a man's eye out)and of course Lawrence Phillips9ole Tom laid down the law on this guy(suspended for what?4 games).My point is why were no Huskers,Irish or Buffs on the cover of SI?For whatever reason Barry wsa targeted by the media and the other programs were given a pass.

One other nugget before I close.Dr. Tom was given almost complete immunity from responsibilty for his actions or in actions,why?He was actually recorded on the phone asking a woman not to press charges of rape gainst one of his players BECAUSE IT WOULD RUIN THE PLAYER"S LIFE.The woman she had heard from several other victims that Dr. Tom did this so she was ready with her recorder.IF SOONER FANS have been embarrassed or humiliated by Barry's teams ,take a look around there are a lot worse.Osu has at least one player on their team now that is charged with sexual assault (of a child I think)yet Mike Gundy is not being raked over the coals for this.Barry immediateli dismissed Bernard Hall,Nigel Clay,Charles Thompson,Jeery Parks, and Glenn Bell( from Muskogee not sure about the name) because they were charged.Apparently that didn't apply at ND,NU,CU,OSU.BTW Bell was found not guilty at trial.Ok my rant is over ,go ahead and tell me how wrong I am.

sooner2b09
8/30/2007, 08:18 PM
He sat behind me at this play I went to at the Civic Center in OKC, I was in awe and talked to him for over 10 minutes before it started. A really nice man we didnt even talk about football really.

olevetonahill
8/30/2007, 10:05 PM

I hit him made him Red ;)

badger
8/30/2007, 10:05 PM
I hit him made him Red ;)
I appreciate it, but leave him alone. I think he'll tone it down after that spanking Dean gave him. Never **** off a modador

olevetonahill
8/30/2007, 10:15 PM
I appreciate it, but leave him alone. I think he'll tone it down after that spanking Dean gave him. Never **** off a modador
Hell I hit him the other nite. I reported that one post befor I saw Dean had boxed his ears ;)

soonerfaninpoteau
8/30/2007, 10:44 PM
Hell I hit him the other nite. I reported that one post befor I saw Dean had boxed his ears ;)
heck olevet im surprised u can hit anyone with a natty n ur hand

olevetonahill
8/30/2007, 10:54 PM
heck olevet im surprised u can hit anyone with a natty n ur hand
God gave me 2 hands One fer drinkin one fer hittin :cool:

adambc03
8/31/2007, 12:49 AM
I'm still trying to figure out the Green Bay and Dallas thing. You have issues with a coach who went to a championship winning NFL team that was already assembled and having had no prior NFL experience talked some grown *** men into playing dirty? He IS the king!

adambc03
8/31/2007, 01:12 AM
Almost a compliment, but then you go with this crap...especially the whining about the "manner in which he won." Heck, Barry did not even have that great of a record against Texas compared to some of the other schools he dominated.

Just remember that your legendary coaches were a former OU player and a decent assistant at OU. Now go get that flower tattoo before Saturday night's game.

Switzer had a 10-4-2 record against Texas. That's pretty dominating in my book. That would explain the whining though.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/31/2007, 01:40 AM
I met him once. Very likeable and friendly. He was even more flamboyant that I thought he would be. I was disappointed in the trouble the team got into while he was there, but the only real beef I had was his unwillingness to throw the football, especially the last 4 years he coached at OU. (and in particular, that Orange Bowl against the U after the '87 season-AAAARRRGGHHH!) Also, the lack of preparation for that '77 Orange Bowl against the granny-coached Arkansas team aggravated me immensely. Overall, though, the players loved him, I like him just fine, and he got 3!!!

badger
8/31/2007, 09:57 AM
I'm still trying to figure out the Green Bay and Dallas thing. You have issues with a coach who went to a championship winning NFL team that was already assembled and having had no prior NFL experience talked some grown *** men into playing dirty? He IS the king!
i'm trying to think of an OU example I can compare this to...

But I can't, so let's do a hypothetical.

The year is 2005. OU is heading to Dallas on a 5-game winning streak with Texas. However, Texas is awesome this year and will go on to win the nat'l title. There is no question that barring a huge upset, which would be awesome, Texas will win.

Rather than playing with high sportsmanship, Texas begins to make late hits on players, causing some to get seriously injured. It seems the referrees are always looking the other way.

The Texas players and coaches know it is going on, but things don't seem to change.

The whorn go on to win by a large margin, but more disturbingly, many of our players were sidelined during the game with injuries.

Now tell me--- wouldn't you be a little upset at Mack Brown for being the coach behind this thuggish activity?

Everyone knew GB was the underdog heading to Super Bowl XXX (I think it was 1995) in the NFC Championship in Dallas. However, the fact that we were not only severely beaten, but also literally beaten was terrible. Some people in the GB area were starting rumors after the game that the refs were bribed. Sound familiar?

It is the worst Packer memory fans could have in recent history, and a lot of fans remember it still (like me) and would have a bitter taste in their mouth.

Ok--- I just thought of an example for Sooners. Think 2003 Big 12 champeeeenship. KSU played like a bunch of thugs and wouldn't let up on Jason White. Weren't at least a few of you angry and Snyder after that?

Salt City Sooner
8/31/2007, 10:45 AM
Switzer had a 10-4-2 record against Texas. That's pretty dominating in my book. That would explain the whining though.
9-5-2 actually. He had a 3 game & a 4 game winning streak sandwiched around a 9 year stretch in which he went 2-5-2 vs. the 'horns.

EstablishedSooner1967
8/31/2007, 10:58 AM
If there are ANY SOONERS that don't like Switzer!
I will be at the game would like to have a physical discussion with them...physically convincing them the greatness of Coach Switzer.. he has done no wrong in my book... I will be at the Switzer Center until kick off for all the haters!

badger
8/31/2007, 11:00 AM
so much for attempts to bury this board :rolleyes:

IB4OU2
8/31/2007, 11:12 AM
I like Barry and the Dallas Cowboys too....so there.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/31/2007, 01:58 PM
I like Barry and the Dallas Cowboys too....so there.I would imagine more Sooner fans pull for the Dallas Cowboys than any other pro team, since they are the closest pro team to Norman.(except during periods when there are lots of former Sooners on a particular pro team, like when Chuck Fairbanks coached the "New England Sooners", in the late '70's)

SteelClip49
8/31/2007, 02:04 PM
SWITZER RULES but the Dallas Cowturds can burn in hell.

SoonerJLB
8/31/2007, 04:09 PM
I don't like Barry but love him like a father. :)

Jason White's Third Knee
8/31/2007, 04:48 PM
Why do they call it 'WTF?'

Ok, now THAT is funny.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/31/2007, 04:51 PM

Playing dirty? STFU.

Retard.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/31/2007, 04:54 PM
Oh, and Barry is awesome. Super nice guy and one of the most entertaining people to listen to.

CUinNC
9/1/2007, 07:26 AM
WHOOAA....for a minute there I thought I was back on the Tiger Boards and this was a Danny Ford thread:D:D :D