PDA

View Full Version : Miami going with Freeman at QB

snp
8/28/2007, 12:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2994678

Also, their former deep snapper is their starting Center now. Heralded freshman DeMarcus Van Dyke is starting at CB. Looking forward to MK making his acquaintance with the young man.

BASSooner
8/28/2007, 12:49 PM
I don't find this surprising. He fits more well at the new offense.

I had to play against him in high school. The dude is as tough as a rock.

snp
8/28/2007, 12:54 PM
Didn't his HS run an option offense?

BASSooner
8/28/2007, 12:55 PM
Didn't his HS run an option offense?

yes, brownwood high school.

they ran out of the wing, maryland I, and the wishbone set.

NormanPride
8/28/2007, 01:44 PM
Hopefully we have enough film on him. I know I felt more comfortable facing Wright.

InTexasandImStuck
8/28/2007, 02:21 PM
Shannon isn't playing those games Coker played. He is putting the best players on the field. Wait until your cover guys see the 260lb return man on KO's. That runs like a RB.

See you in Norman. Stop by the tailgate and enjoy the party.

I feel confident we will win.

NormanPride
8/28/2007, 02:23 PM
Oh yeah? Well our kick coverage team is made of nothing but Spartans.

http://www.qarl.com/qLab/pile/300/SPARTA.jpg

Good luck with that one, fatass return guy.

Widescreen
8/28/2007, 02:25 PM
Cool! Me too!

The Maestro
8/28/2007, 02:36 PM

I can see why after that Duke game last year.

Yeah, nothing sexier than a coach who has never lost yet and comes in shaking things up. We call it 1995.

MextheBulldog
8/28/2007, 03:24 PM
I can see why after that Duke game last year.

Yeah, nothing sexier than a coach who has never lost yet and comes in shaking things up. We call it 1995.

Or 1996.

Ash
8/28/2007, 03:26 PM

So I guess I'm not the only one that thought of Japorkie Lane and all the hype about him... :D

BASSooner
8/28/2007, 03:41 PM
wanna know how to stop miami's offense? study GTech last year with reggie ball. That's how you stop em :D

TheUnnamedSooner
8/28/2007, 03:42 PM
Well, this is better than one of their locked up guys ;)

Landthief 1972
8/28/2007, 03:57 PM
Shannon isn't playing those games Coker played. He is putting the best players on the field. Wait until your cover guys see the 260lb return man on KO's. That runs like a RB.

I hear you guys have been lifting weights all summer. Therefore, I've already penciled you in as winners. :rolleyes:

tanjou
8/28/2007, 03:59 PM
Oh yeah? Well our kick coverage team is made of nothing but Spartans.

http://www.qarl.com/qLab/pile/300/SPARTA.jpg

why do they wear yellow helmets now is that because of the NCAA violations or what?

p.s. will you be at the game this weekend please circle yes/no

BASSooner
8/28/2007, 04:18 PM

hmmm, that's without doubt THE dumbest idea I have EVER heard.

I hope he's out there because he won't be going anywhere.

InTexasandImStuck
8/28/2007, 04:18 PM
wanna know how to stop miami's offense? study GTech last year with reggie ball. That's how you stop em :D

Study what the replacement did in the bowl game and that will show what he can do with a decent QB. Reggie Ball was awful I saw 1st hand in 2004 when we beat them in Arlanta and he never improved.

Ardmore_Sooner
8/28/2007, 04:22 PM
Study what the replacement did in the bowl game and that will show what he can do with a decent QB. Reggie Ball was awful I saw 1st hand in 2004 when we beat them in Arlanta and he never improved.

Beat Nevada by 1?

NormanPride
8/28/2007, 04:34 PM
why do they wear yellow helmets now is that because of the NCAA violations or what?

p.s. will you be at the game this weekend please circle yes/no

(yes)/no

teehee!

aurorasooner
8/28/2007, 04:41 PM
Wait until your cover guys see the 260lb return man on KO's. That runs like a RB. I can't wait 'til Nic Harris cracks him full speed about knee high. That's going to make a John Daly sized divot.

Widescreen
8/28/2007, 04:45 PM
Wait until your cover guys see the 260lb return man on KO's. That runs like a RB.
260lb? Pfft. Put him next to Javorskie Lane and tell him to eat a sammach while he's at it.

CtheB
8/28/2007, 05:55 PM
Hopefully we have enough film on him. I know I felt more comfortable facing Wright.

Great point. Wright was the known commodity. We just hang our hat on the fact that it took Freeman three years to replace Wright as the starter.

The game concerns me a bit, and I hope I get to party with Luther and the 2 Live Crew at some point that day. Kidding. :)

soonerboy_odanorth
8/28/2007, 06:17 PM

Freeman 74-139 53% 1,055yds 7.6ypc 9TD 10INT
Ball 662-1363 48% 8,128yds 6.0ypc 57TD 55INT

No.... no similarities at all....

The day I'm scared of a 50% dink & dunk QB that also rushes for a mighty 2.1 ypa but can't throw more TD's than picks is the day John Blake is hired back as our coach.

Throw in that he will only be in the second game of a brand new offense for him....

You just keep holding on to all that confidence, brother. Fact is hearing Wright was too gimpy to seriously compete for the start was the best news we could have heard going in. Levels the playing field... inexperienced QB v. effectively inexperienced QB instead of you having the experience edge.

You guys have a fabulous defense. But that news tipped things more in our favor, despite your wishin' and hopin'...

InTexasandImStuck
8/28/2007, 06:20 PM
Good to see you know nothing about football other than OU. I was talking about Reggie Ball's replacement in the bowl game last year. Not Freeman who had already started the previous 3 games.

We all hope you and the coaching staff feel Miami is a pushover.

snp
8/28/2007, 07:15 PM
You mean the replacement who torched the 109th ranked pass defense in the nation with the best WR in the past decade? The same oc who sat by and let Reggie Ball be a QB? The same replacement that had the best WR of the decade bail him out several times in the Gator Bowl?

Good to see you don't know much either.

InTexasandImStuck
8/28/2007, 07:26 PM
You mean the replacement who torched the 109th ranked pass defense in the nation with the best WR in the past decade? The same oc who sat by and let Reggie Ball be a QB? The same replacement that had the best WR of the decade bail him out several times in the Gator Bowl?

Good to see you don't know much either.

Actually Nix had no choice in the starting QB during the season It was Chan Gailey's decison to play Ball.

I will galdly take our QB situation to yours.

snp
8/28/2007, 07:40 PM
If he couldn't convince his HC how INCREDIBLY AWFUL Reggie Ball was, then good luck. Reggie Ball once threw the ball away on 4th down with ~30 seconds to play when they were trailing.

I'll gladly take our offensive line, RBs, and TEs over yours.

InTexasandImStuck
8/28/2007, 07:53 PM
If he couldn't convince his HC how INCREDIBLY AWFUL Reggie Ball was, then good luck. Reggie Ball once threw the ball away on 4th down with ~30 seconds to play when they were trailing.

I'll gladly take our offensive line, RBs, and TEs over yours.

You know if I came on here saying I bought tickets to the game and am driving over thinking we were going to lose I should stay home. I don't think we will lose but then again neither do all of you. That is what makes every Saturday in the fall great. Honestly I hope it is a great game and we win. If I thought anything less I wouldn't be a Canes fan. I will take our players over yours and you will do the oposite. See you in 12 days looking down from Sec36...

snp
8/28/2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the disclaimer but I'm already pretty well versed with college football and nuances of what can happen each weekend. I did watch the Fiesta Bowl after all.

goingoneight
8/28/2007, 09:30 PM
260 lb return-man? Methinks he needs to stand abotu 15 yards up like all FULLBACKS do on KO return units.

TopDawg
8/28/2007, 09:32 PM
I'll be happy if he just doesn't eat any of our kickoff cover guys.

snp
8/28/2007, 09:33 PM
Brody Eldridge will mess that guy up.

OklahomaTuba
8/28/2007, 09:56 PM
The heat will mess that guy up.

InTexasandImStuck
8/28/2007, 10:09 PM
Whats a 16oz beer cost inside the stadium?

snp
8/28/2007, 10:14 PM
Your ticket. No beer in Big 12 stadiums :(

Flask it up.

InTexasandImStuck
8/28/2007, 10:21 PM
Your ticket. No beer in Big 12 stadiums :(

Flask it up.

Joke actually... Schools don't sell booze on campus. One advantage to the OB and next year Dolphin Stadium where the Canes will have the biggest Jumbotron in college football. Like we need another recruiting advantage.

Enjoy the beer on the return trip.

Widescreen
8/28/2007, 10:26 PM
As recently as 5 years ago, the REAL Hurricane (Tulsa) allowed beer to be sold to people sitting in certain sections of the stadium. It was a catastrophe because by the 3rd quarter, those sections were annoying everyone else in the stadium.

snp
8/28/2007, 10:32 PM
Joke actually... Schools don't sell booze on campus. One advantage to the OB and next year Dolphin Stadium where the Canes will have the biggest Jumbotron in college football. Like we need another recruiting advantage.

You really consider a stadium 20 miles away from campus an advantage or are you joking again?

Enjoy the 3.2% while you're here! Hope you've already been informed about our whacky laws :(

soonerboomer93
8/28/2007, 10:35 PM
you obviously haven't heard of godzillatron

sooneron
8/28/2007, 10:38 PM

Drunk 'caine "fans" and a big screen. Those are recruiting advantages? Just so you know- Dolphins stadium isn't the greatest thing going. As far as advantages go, you guys have miles to go before you pass up UFla.

Ash
8/28/2007, 10:45 PM
The heat will mess that guy up.

Fill the lard *** up with fried food and gravy, then watch him crash on the field...:pop:

goingoneight
8/28/2007, 11:28 PM
Maybe we should have tha LOAD stare at him and lick his chops while rubbing his belly. That oughta scare him sh**less! :D

soonerboy_odanorth
8/29/2007, 12:16 PM
Drunk 'caine "fans" (all 20,000 of them that regularly show up so that recruits can see those 45,000 empty orange seats on a given Saturday) and a big screen. Those are recruiting advantages? Just so you know- Dolphins stadium isn't the greatest thing going. As far as advantages go, you guys have miles to go before you pass up UFla.

Fixed.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/29/2007, 12:38 PM
Good to see you know nothing about football other than OU. I was talking about Reggie Ball's replacement in the bowl game last year. Not Freeman who had already started the previous 3 games.

We all hope you and the coaching staff feel Miami is a pushover.

Good to see you don't know anything about reading comprehension, chump.

My point was Mr. Freeman, about whom you are so confident, has a track record much more reflective of Mr. Ball's, not his replacement Bennett.

And where did I say Miami was a pushover? Got a little chip on your shoulder there? I have noted numerous times and even in the body of my previous post, Miami is bringing a fabulous defense to town. That in itself should keep the score very close.

But again, you are breaking in a brand new offense with an athlete at QB whose record and performances are less than stellar.... against what should also be a pretty darn good defense. So you prefer your situation over ours. Good for you. OU has a good deal more experience around Sam than does your squad around Freeman. Not to mention he (Sam) has actually been in his offense longer than Freeman, by almost a year.

Maybe you need to review your own knowledge of college football happenings outside of South Florida. And as for that, any time you want to test me you just come on up and bring it.

MiccoMacey
8/29/2007, 12:43 PM
Not to mention he (Sam) has actually been in his offense longer than Freeman, by almost a year...

I'm not sure what you're posting.

I thought Freeman was a junior.

Where am I misreading your intent?

InTexasandImStuck
8/29/2007, 12:52 PM
Good to see you don't know anything about reading comprehension, chump.

My point was Mr. Freeman, about whom you are so confident, has a track record much more reflective of Mr. Ball's, not his replacement Bennett.

And where did I say Miami was a pushover? Got a little chip on your shoulder there? I have noted numerous times and even in the body of my previous post, Miami is bringing a fabulous defense to town. That in itself should keep the score very close.

But again, you are breaking in a brand new offense with an athlete at QB whose record and performances are less than stellar.... against what should also be a pretty darn good defense. So you prefer your situation over ours. Good for you. OU has a good deal more experience around Sam than does your squad around Freeman. Not to mention he (Sam) has actually been in his offense longer than Freeman, by almost a year.

Maybe you need to review your own knowledge of college football happenings outside of South Florida. And as for that, any time you want to test me you just come on up and bring it.

The difference would be Ball had 4 years to play and improve so comparing him to Wright would be more accurate as Wright started for 2 years. Freeman started for 4 games and not until this year did he get the reps like a starter. So the upside to Freeman is much greater than Wright. Similar situation for OU I would think in naming the younger QB the starter.

Most people I think will be suprised in the difference between a LLLLLarry Coker team and a Randy Shannon team.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/29/2007, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure what you're posting.

I thought Freeman was a junior.

Where am I misreading your intent?

Oh, didn't you know Micco?

Pat Nix has installed this hybrid spread/West Coast super-duper offense that is supposed to put the fear of Jebus in us... especially with Freeman running it.

ergo...

This is Freeman's first go at the GT offense, while our man Sam hasn't been put through the waffle iron since he's been here.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/29/2007, 01:03 PM
So the upside to Freeman is much greater than Wright.

I don't particularly disagree. (Especially if Wright can't stay healthy.) But we're talking about who gives you the best chance to win the game against OU, not longer-term upside. Wright's experience gave you a more effective game manager against us, IMHO.

soonerinabilene
8/29/2007, 01:17 PM
Most people I think will be suprised in the difference between a LLLLLarry Coker team and a Randy Shannon team.

The main one being Coker's team won a MNC and played for another.

MiccoMacey
8/29/2007, 02:32 PM
Oh, didn't you know Micco?

Pat Nix has installed this hybrid spread/West Coast super-duper offense...

Sorry. Didn't see they installed a new offense.

I get it now.

KRYPTON
8/29/2007, 02:37 PM
I hope I get to party with Luther and the 2 Live Crew at some point that day. Kidding. :)

"Face down, a** up, that's the way we like to... return kickoffs with our lard of a running back."

KRYPTON
8/29/2007, 02:53 PM
So the upside to Freeman is much greater than Wright.

The upside to Freeman... that can be translated into actual ability over the next TEN DAYS? Hey, here's to Freeman turning into an uber-beast in three years, but it's not gonna help much here in a week and a half.

BigUgly
8/29/2007, 03:36 PM

Thought you were stuck in Texas. :rolleyes:

Landthief 1972
8/29/2007, 05:10 PM
Like we need another recruiting advantage.

You mean the crime-ridden neighborhood around the university is a big enough selling point? Isn't it against NCAA regulations to give out free bulletproof vests to recruits?

Jewstin
8/29/2007, 05:26 PM
Miami has awesome recruiting advantages like horrible facilities, a fickle, horrible fanbase, and a terrible surrounding community!

Add to the mix the fact that Florida is now the state's premiere program, with Florida State behind them and Miami in a distant third, I'd say you guys have the ingredients for a recipe for ... well, not success, that's for damn sure. ;)

47straight
8/30/2007, 06:38 PM
I will galdly take our QB situation to yours.

I'll gladly take our offense situation to yours.

I'll gladly take out stadium situation to yours.

I'll gladly take our home attendance situation to yours.

I'll gladly take our players' character situation to yours.

I could go on.

47straight
8/30/2007, 06:40 PM

I'm not surprised in the difference between a Randy Shannon team and a prison rodeo team.

47straight
8/30/2007, 06:43 PM
Joke actually... Schools don't sell booze on campus.

Sounds like you're the one who doesn't know anything about college football at large.

Schools do sell booze on campus. Public schools usually don't. The Big 12 is comprised of 11 public schools and 1 baptist school, where they love Jesus but don't drink a little on campus. Miami is a private school - why don't you all sell booze at your stadium?

Oh yeah, it's because you have to rent time to play ball. Like the city soccer leagues.