PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions...REAL ONES!

SoonerStormchaser
8/27/2007, 10:46 PM
Ok...so my wife is currently going through the dreaded m/c, and I've come up with a way to cheer her up. We're going to go get a cabin in the mountains in Estes Park. However, due to my insane schedule down here, it's not gonna happen til OU/Texass weekend (yes, we're still gonna watch it, but since I've got a 3-day weekend then, it's the earliest we can go).

Anyone who's been up that way...can you give me suggestions as to what activities we can do (besides the obvious :rolleyes: :eek: :D )?

def_lazer_fc
8/28/2007, 12:03 AM
been to estes park 3 times, the latest being a couple months ago. i'm not sure what kind of suggestions you're looking for. of course, the obvious would be RMNP, as that is really the only thing i've ever gone there for. there are some good restaurants down there on the main st. ft. collins is just a short drive away, which has some good bars. estes park is a little scarce in that area. as far as hiking is concerned, there should be some great spots this time of year. trail ridge road is a must. it was under construction when i was there, but it should be open by now. a must as far as hiking is concerned would be glacier gorge imo. not too strenuous. camping in the back country would be cool too. i haven't had the chance to do it though. :(

soonerboomer93
8/28/2007, 12:53 AM
that time of the year, you have a 50/50 chance of snow, so make sure you're prepared

SoonerJack
8/28/2007, 09:57 AM
Elk breeding season should be going on in Horseshoe park, so you should get to hear some awesome trumpeting; it's right by the Estes entrance to RMNP. Be sure to stop by the alluvial fan and see the awesome power of a lake let loose. You guys will figure out the rest. It's such a beautiful place. I'd just go on picnics and hikes and stuff. It is so beautiful. Do be prepared for all kinds of weather though.

AMSooner
8/28/2007, 10:02 AM
I've gone there almost every summer for the past 30 years. Here are my suggestions:

Trail Ridge Road (RMNP)- It might be closed down depening on the weather. We like to drive over the Divide and hang out in Grand Lake some. You can see moose on the other side of the Divide.

Bear Lake (RMNP) - I love this area. It's supposed to be really beautiful in the fall. There is a really easy hike from there up to Dream Lake.

Sheep Lakes (RMNP) - These are the mineral lakes that the bighorns come down to visit. We drive by several times per day, because you never know when the sheep will be there. Some people are lucky and see them the first time. I've been going there since I was about eight and finally saw the sheep when I was thirty-one. It's beautiful and you can ususally see elk at least.

Alluvial Fan (RMNP) - This is where the flood came down back in 1982. You can walk out on bridges over the boulders.

Sweet Basilico - It's a tiny little restaurant on Prospect Village Drive. The food is great, but you will have to make a reservation.

The Stanley Hotel - It's beautiful and supposedly haunted. They have a nice bar. We usually spend a few hours hanging out there.

It's also fun to just go downtown and hang out. If the weather is bad, there will be some places that will be closed. The latest I've ever been there is the end of October, but the weather was nice and most places were still open. There's a place we love downtown called Grandma's Mountain Cookies. They make these giant cookies that are delicious.

OU4LIFE
8/28/2007, 10:22 AM
PIITB

1stTimeCaller
8/28/2007, 10:41 AM
Ohhhhh, you sais Estes Park. Nevermind. I was full of suggestions until I read your post a little closer.

Carry on.

IB4OU2
8/28/2007, 10:57 AM
[quote=AMSooner]I've gone there almost every summer for the past 30 years. Here are my suggestions:

Trail Ridge Road (RMNP)- It might be closed down depening on the weather. We like to drive over the Divide and hang out in Grand Lake some. You can see moose on the other side of the Divide.

PIITMB

SoonerStormchaser
8/28/2007, 02:16 PM
Sweet...moose seem to be attracted to whatever car I drive, so I'll make sure I have a rental tank this time.