PDA

View Full Version : DJ Wolfe

CatfishSooner
8/27/2007, 08:29 PM
Is anyone else worried about DJ starting at SS? I'm not trying to trash him, but I gotta admit I'm a little worried about this.

FlatheadSooner
8/27/2007, 08:31 PM
Is anyone else worried about DJ starting at SS? I'm not trying to trash him, but I gotta admit I'm a little worried about this.

Why? When he's been burned - hasn't it usually been on deep routes?

BornandBred
8/27/2007, 08:43 PM
If we use him as an attacking weapon like TRRW I'm fine with it. I think we may use the FS as more of an actual "safety". But thats just my guess.

illinisooner
8/27/2007, 08:46 PM
I'm worried, but I hope he plays great. The coaches seem to think he's found a home in the secondary at SS, so I'll take their word for it that he's the right guy for the job.

Widescreen
8/27/2007, 08:55 PM
The best player plays. The coaches know way more about this than any of us do. Let's wait until a couple of games have been played before we start second-guessing their decisions.

CatfishSooner
8/27/2007, 08:55 PM
I hope he does good too, but the jury is still out

CatfishSooner
8/27/2007, 08:56 PM
The best player plays. The coaches know way more about this than any of us do. Let's wait until a couple of games have been played before we start second-guessing their decisions.

I agree, but still worried.:O

soonercoop
8/27/2007, 09:04 PM
According to the reports he has been on the same level as Roy Williams, fierce intensity and a good power runner and he seems to be in the right spot at the right time. Interception and big play city.

CatfishSooner
8/27/2007, 09:09 PM
According to the reports he has been on the same level as Roy Williams, fierce intensity and a good power runner and he seems to be in the right spot at the right time. Interception and big play city.

Sorry, but NO way he is on the same level as Roy :rolleyes:

goingoneight
8/27/2007, 09:15 PM
If Bob freaking Stoops thinks he's better than Holmes, Harris, Franks and Williams, I'm :cool:.

Rhino
8/27/2007, 09:23 PM
I've heard very, very few negative things about him in the offseason and fall practice. By all accounts he's taken to SS very well.

But please, let's not try to compare him to TRRW.

IndianJack
8/27/2007, 09:41 PM
I hope he does good too, but the jury is still out

The jury panel has yet to even be voir dired. Relax, my friend. Let's not be presumptuous about his ability to play SS based on his time at CB.

snp
8/27/2007, 09:49 PM
If we use him as an attacking weapon like TRRW I'm fine with it. I think we may use the FS as more of an actual "safety". But thats just my guess.

SS is used more for coverage while the FS is used more in run support.

sooneron
8/27/2007, 09:49 PM
These coaches have no idea of what they are doing.

CatfishSooner
8/27/2007, 09:52 PM
These coaches have no idea of what they are doing.

I agree! ;)

MiccoMacey
8/27/2007, 09:57 PM
TDTW nip.

I gotta go with "the coaches know more than me" theory.

BornandBred
8/27/2007, 09:59 PM
So is our basic look gunna be like a man/cover-1 or wha?

goingoneight
8/27/2007, 10:05 PM
I've heard very, very few negative things about him in the offseason and fall practice. By all accounts he's taken to SS very well.

But please, let's not try to compare him to TRRW.

That would be Darrien Williams, the one who plays all safety spots from timte to time. ;)

GottaHavePride
8/27/2007, 10:36 PM

So the strong safety is used to roam freely around the field, and the free safety is used to tackle big hefty running backs?

Man, whoever named those positions had no clue what they were doing.

;)

snp
8/27/2007, 10:37 PM
So is our basic look gunna be like a man/cover-1 or wha?

Cover-2.

snp
8/27/2007, 10:38 PM
So the strong safety is used to roam freely around the field, and the free safety is used to tackle big hefty running backs?

Man, whoever named those positions had no clue what they were doing.

;)

I blame Chuck Long.

goingoneight
8/27/2007, 10:42 PM
'Strong' is usually a reference to a quarterback's "strength." That's why you see an SS shift for a lefty QB. They're not always a roaming-type of player and are moreso responsible for the deep shots. That's why a lot of people are concerned about DJ Wolfe playing SS. Nevermind he showed flashes of brilliance at corner in 2005.

MiccoMacey
8/27/2007, 10:44 PM
I always thought it was the Strong side of the field, i.e. the one with more potential weapons (usually the side wit the tight end).

snp
8/27/2007, 11:23 PM
I always thought it was the Strong side of the field, i.e. the one with more potential weapons (usually the side wit the tight end).

It is. Bigger safety has to be able to cover and tackle the TE. FS will line up against a slot.

CatfishSooner
8/27/2007, 11:45 PM
Seems a bit confusing???

O well, I do trust Stoops knows what he's doing.

AND if DJ does not perform well then I'm sure we'll be able to
find someone else...

goingoneight
8/28/2007, 01:16 AM
:les: PUT IN KEITH NICKELZ, HE'S OUR SAVIOR!!!

BornandBred
8/28/2007, 07:36 AM
How about Load playing Nose? I think he might clog the line a bit...

stoopified
8/28/2007, 02:22 PM
No.

NormanPride
8/28/2007, 02:45 PM
Cautious optimism. Man, I really want him to do well. More for his self-confidence than anything else.

soonerspudman
8/28/2007, 03:05 PM
Sorry, but NO way he is on the same level as Roy :rolleyes:

Keep in mind RW never had to play corner. Give DJ a chance before deciding how good he is at safety.

schlanker
8/28/2007, 03:17 PM
AS long as he has been spends more time at practice and studying film then in his green car bomping around campus he should be fine. If he decides to look cool in his car all season we will be in trouble.

Ash
8/28/2007, 03:24 PM
AS long as he has been spends more time at practice and studying film then in his green car bomping around campus he should be fine. If he decides to look cool in his car all season we will be in trouble.

I sense some hatin' in this post...

tanjou
8/28/2007, 04:01 PM
Chuck Long would have known what to do with him.

Will
8/28/2007, 04:16 PM
It is comforting to know that even with DJ at SS he does not have to man cover anyone and the corners we have in Reggie and Marcus are top notch

Collier11
8/28/2007, 04:17 PM

You should ask yourself first, do you trust Coach Stoops? If so then dont worry about it

CU Sooner
8/28/2007, 04:46 PM
Venables doesn't know what he is doing. I miss Mike Stoops......:rolleyes:

soonercoop
8/28/2007, 04:54 PM
Agreed we need mike!!! And thank goodness Long is gone.

texashater#1
8/28/2007, 04:57 PM
im not that worried cuz last year he always got burned one on one. at strong safety he wont play as much one as one. and in his defense he played better when he got into games at the end of the year

OUHOMER
8/28/2007, 06:23 PM
im not that worried cuz last year he always got burned one on one. at strong safety he wont play as much one as one. and in his defense he played better when he got into games at the end of the year

I agree he seemed to always bite and the fake or the pump. SS should suit him better

rufnek05
8/28/2007, 06:42 PM
he needs to stop driving around in his 300 and start watching more tape.

snp
8/28/2007, 06:59 PM
It's that awful green and black car, right?

It is comforting to know that even with DJ at SS he does not have to man cover anyone and the corners we have in Reggie and Marcus are top notch

Depends on the play call by Venerables. SS is responsible for the slot a lot of times. And there's a lot of teams we play this year who will use the spread or a variation of it (UNT, Tech, Texas, Baylor, Mizzou, maybe CU?), SS will be used to cover a lot.

Do you guys really think he hasn't progressed since his sophomore year?

Scott D
8/28/2007, 07:02 PM
SNP, you should know by now they don't think he's progressed since his freshman year...........................of high school ;)

BornandBred
8/28/2007, 09:42 PM
Bigger safety has to be able to cover and tackle the TE. FS will line up against a slot.

Depends on the play call by Venerables. SS is responsible for the slot a lot of times. And there's a lot of teams we play this year who will use the spread or a variation of it (UNT, Tech, Texas, Baylor, Mizzou, maybe CU?), SS will be used to cover a lot.

Is that switch in coverage, ie SS/FS on slot, restricted to the spread offense, or is based on personnel? The easy answer, to me, is bringing in a nickel back pushing SS up to a hybrid SS/LB, but the D seems to do things differently than I'd expect, like using the FS as the hammer. Perhaps our LBs are great in coverage, I dunno. I'd like to learn more about the D scheme, without a film session.

snp
8/28/2007, 09:54 PM
Is that switch in coverage, ie SS/FS on slot, restricted to the spread offense, or is based on personnel? The easy answer, to me, is bringing in a nickel back pushing SS up to a hybrid SS/LB, but the D seems to do things differently than I'd expect, like using the FS as the hammer. Perhaps our LBs are great in coverage, I dunno. I'd like to learn more about the D scheme, without a film session.

I'd imagine it'll depend on personnel. If a team like Mizzou lines up one of their TEs in the slot, I'd imagine we'll see Nic Harris matching up against him. A small, shifty WR, probably DJ.

And like you said about the hybrid, Lewis Baker is a former safety so he'll fit the bill nicely.

Something I'm going to pay attention to mostly this year is DBs. Hopefully I'll be smarter about all this soon.

BornandBred
8/28/2007, 10:00 PM
Something I'm going to pay attention to mostly this year is DBs. Hopefully I'll be smarter about all this soon.

Me and you both.

Widescreen
8/28/2007, 10:15 PM
You guys rock. I'm usually one of those mouth-breathing football fans who just stares at wherever the football is. :O

texashater#1
8/29/2007, 09:52 AM
Chuck Long would have known what to do with him.

chuck was an idiot

birddog
8/29/2007, 09:57 AM
texashater is off to a good start.:D

kruss1971
8/29/2007, 03:50 PM
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but you might have this backwards unless you are talking about responsibilities within a very specific cover set.

colleyvillesooner
8/29/2007, 03:52 PM
You guys rock. I'm usually one of those mouth-breathing football fans who just stares at wherever the football is. :O

I know. Me too.

Isn't it cool that the coaching staff actually posts on here? ;)

kruss1971
8/29/2007, 03:57 PM
'Strong' is usually a reference to a quarterback's "strength." That's why you see an SS shift for a lefty QB. They're not always a roaming-type of player and are moreso responsible for the deep shots. That's why a lot of people are concerned about DJ Wolfe playing SS. Nevermind he showed flashes of brilliance at corner in 2005.
Please say that you are just making this up or that it was how you were coached...then it will make sense! :P :pop:

snp
8/29/2007, 04:06 PM
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but you might have this backwards unless you are talking about responsibilities within a very specific cover set.

Not within Oklahoma's system.

starrca23
8/29/2007, 04:10 PM
A picture of said car is now needed.

Pigface1
8/29/2007, 04:20 PM
Doesn't matter, the defense forgets how to tackle during the off season every year anyway.

BASSooner
8/29/2007, 04:50 PM
It's that awful green and black car, right?
with the loud music? Yup. That's DJ

TheUnnamedSooner
8/29/2007, 05:08 PM
Who is Debbie? is she really a downer?

Jewstin
8/29/2007, 05:14 PM
Holy cow ... DJ Wolfe drives that awful black/green car!?! I see that thing everywhere and a little piece of me dies each time. :(

Jewstin
8/29/2007, 05:15 PM
In other news, I've heard nothing but tremendous praise for DJ now that he's made the move to SS. Coaches said he picked it up in a matter of minutes, since his ball skills are so great.

I'm excited for the guy!

snp
8/29/2007, 06:11 PM
with the loud music? Yup. That's DJ

I guess it's safer than his Exploder with 22's or whatever they were.

CatfishSooner
8/29/2007, 10:46 PM
I think he painted it Red or something???? So it looks alittle better now actually, but I see him driving around "bumpin" all the time !

kruss1971
8/30/2007, 09:19 AM
Not within Oklahoma's system.
Just to be clear, you're saying that we use the SS primarily for deep cover and that we gear our FS to be more of a run-support DB. In other words, we should expect to see Wolfe playing deeper than Harris in a typical Oklahoma or Eagle set? How does this stack up against the way Reggie was used last year at SS? Outside of stunts and blitzes, Reggie was always up on the run much more than whoever was in at FS.

Just want to make sure I understand.

snp
8/30/2007, 10:30 AM
Just to be clear, you're saying that we use the SS primarily for deep cover and that we gear our FS to be more of a run-support DB. In other words, we should expect to see Wolfe playing deeper than Harris in a typical Oklahoma or Eagle set? How does this stack up against the way Reggie was used last year at SS? Outside of stunts and blitzes, Reggie was always up on the run much more than whoever was in at FS.

Who would you rather see coming up to make the tackle on a RB, Nic Harris with LB size or DJ Wolfe a former CB (although he was pretty physical).

I disagree with your thinking that Reggie played up near the line more than Darrien. But I can't back it up with anything so we'll just have to wait just a couple more days!!!!! Never been so excited to get proven wrong or otherwise in my life.

birddog
8/30/2007, 10:35 AM
:kelvin: FOOTBALL NERDS!!!

JohnnyMack
8/30/2007, 10:39 AM
he needs to stop driving around in his 300 and start watching more tape.

You need to stop smoking so much dope and start going to class.

OUmillenium
8/30/2007, 11:17 AM

Nice try Mack, you will have to wait to October to get your answer!;)

kruss1971
8/30/2007, 12:53 PM
Who would you rather see coming up to make the tackle on a RB, Nic Harris with LB size or DJ Wolfe a former CB (although he was pretty physical).

I disagree with your thinking that Reggie played up near the line more than Darrien. But I can't back it up with anything so we'll just have to wait just a couple more days!!!!! Never been so excited to get proven wrong or otherwise in my life.

Hah! I'd hate to see either of them coming at me!

I'm not trying to say what you meant to say or put words in your mouth, but I think you may have been trying to say that we don't limit a player's role to the traditional position responsibilities of their position as listed on the depth chart. At that, I totally agree.

Discussing whether or not Reggie's role last year at SS was more prototypical (not primary deep cover) or whether the FSs on the field with him played more as SSs boils down to very specific instances. The way the secondary personnel shifted around last year and the year before, this would be an ongoing conversation about specific games, specific plays, perceived coverage, and specific personnel combos on the field at any given time. I'm not asserting that Reggie was up near the line more than Williams because I'm not saying that our SSs are always the safety that plays the box; however, I am simply saying that in simple 4 DB coverage (2xCB, 1xFS, 1xSS...not stunts and not blitzes), his position was geared to be quicker to a run than the FS. For reference, take a look at some of the game videos on soonersports.com.

I can agree to disagree with a fellow Sooner fan and we'll just have to see how your observation plays out this season. Outside of stunts and blitzes, I'm thinking Harris (Williams) will be taking deep coverage on several more occasions than will Wolfe. I'm with you more than I'm against you! :)

snp
8/30/2007, 06:13 PM
I'm too happy to argue. Footbaw started 13 minutes ago!

Egeo
8/31/2007, 07:00 AM
dj can tackle pretty well, i think he'll suit us fine at ss

i feel sorry for dwill - but he's not the athlete that the other 5 guys are