PDA

View Full Version : Comic strip double standard?

Widescreen
8/27/2007, 01:57 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294779,00.html

I don't know what to take from this. I suppose it could be any of the following or a combination.

1. Christians' concerns aren't important
2. Muslims are over-sensitive and we're scared
3. We don't have any Christians on staff to ask if they would be offended

I suspect it's mostly #2. If that's the case, some people need to learn to consider the source and get over themselves. Breathed has said all kinds of crap that I don't like over the years, but that's just how he operates. In America you can say pretty much what you want. I don't like it when people say things that attack my beliefs, but that's also why I ignore those people. Sometimes they make me mad but I'm not going to riot or organize large-scale protests or demand that they be fired or something. I guess if Christians routinely did those things, the Post would be scared of us too. :confused:

:pop:

KABOOKIE
8/27/2007, 02:16 PM
Nuke 'em if they can't take a joke.

stoopified
8/27/2007, 02:41 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294779,00.html

I don't know what to take from this. I suppose it could be any of the following or a combination.

1. Christians' concerns aren't important
2. Muslims are over-sensitive and we're scared
3. We don't have any Christians on staff to ask if they would be offended

I suspect it's mostly #2. If that's the case, some people need to learn to consider the source and get over themselves. Breathed has said all kinds of crap that I don't like over the years, but that's just how he operates. In America you can say pretty much what you want. I don't like it when people say things that attack my beliefs, but that's also why I ignore those people. Sometimes they make me mad but I'm not going to riot or organize large-scale protests or demand that they be fired or something. I guess if Christians routinely did those things, the Post would be scared of us too. :confused:

:pop:
Amen

Stoop Dawg
8/27/2007, 05:32 PM
I'm not going to riot or organize large-scale protests or demand that they be fired or something. I guess if Christians routinely did those things, the Post would be scared of us too. :confused:

Yeah, because Christians never have large-scale protests in an attempt to impose their religion on others.

Happy Holidays

:rolleyes:

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2007, 05:38 PM
I don't agree with them removing the strip.

However, a double standard? How many times has Doonesbury been pulled?

Widescreen
8/27/2007, 06:28 PM
Yeah, because Christians never have large-scale protests in an attempt to impose their religion on others.

Happy Holidays

:rolleyes:
That's imposing religion on others? Talk about over-sensitive....

Widescreen
8/27/2007, 06:28 PM
I don't agree with them removing the strip.

However, a double standard? How many times has Doonesbury been pulled?
I don't know. Is that strip still in existence?

Stoop Dawg
8/27/2007, 06:44 PM
That's imposing religion on others? Talk about over-sensitive....

What do you call a boycott aimed at forcing major retailers to use the term "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays"? I'll defer to your more accurate term (whatever that happens to be), but the point remains the same - Christians DO protest all kinds of things on a regular basis.

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2007, 06:47 PM
I don't know. Is that strip still in existence?

Yes. It actually enjoys a pretty wide circulation.

Again, I don't think pulling the strip was the right thing to do. But it's hardly a double standard-editors are pussies anymore.

crawfish
8/28/2007, 08:27 AM
B.C. and Mallard Fillmore have been pulled from newspapers at times. Can't get much more conservative than those two.

crawfish
8/28/2007, 08:28 AM
And, for the record, I think this is hilarious.

http://images.salon.com/comics/opus/2007/08/26/opus/story.jpg

Okieflyer
8/28/2007, 08:39 AM
Now you did it Crawfish. The muslim world will now crash down on SoonerFans.:eek:

GrapevineSooner
8/28/2007, 09:07 AM
It's at least Dhimmitude.

Also, the comparison to staging violent protests over cartoons to Christians 'protesting' the non use of Merry Christmas doesn't quite fit. Not even the most fanatical Christian goes into a violent rage like the fanatical Muslim has a tendency to do.

Widescreen
8/28/2007, 09:57 AM
It's at least Dhimmitude.

Also, the comparison to staging violent protests over cartoons to Christians 'protesting' the non use of Merry Christmas doesn't quite fit. Not even the most fanatical Christian goes into a violent rage like the fanatical Muslim has a tendency to do.
Boy are you wrong.

Fundamentalist Christian == Fundamentalist Muslim

Fundamentalism is fundamentalism and they all act exactly the same. :rolleyes:

crawfish
8/28/2007, 10:05 AM
Boy are you wrong.

Fundamentalist Christian == Fundamentalist Muslim

Fundamentalism is fundamentalism and they all act exactly the same. :rolleyes:

Give or take a few beheadings. :texan:

Widescreen
8/28/2007, 10:12 AM
Cue the "what about the inquisition?" comments.

Rogue
8/28/2007, 10:15 AM

Give or take a few crusades, inquisitions, and that whole thing in Ireland.

Nope, christians can't claim moral high ground based on a history of nonviolence.

Rogue
8/28/2007, 10:17 AM
I didn't know Bloom County was still going either.

This is hardly among the most provocative comics of late.

CobraKai
8/28/2007, 10:40 AM

Nope, christians can't claim moral high ground based on a history of nonviolence.

Just like "Democrats/Republicans/Whigs" support slavery, since 300 years ago they all did. Right?

royalfan5
8/28/2007, 10:54 AM
Personally, I'm waiting for Garfield to go after Islam.

Widescreen
8/28/2007, 11:02 AM
At 10:12:

Cue the "what about the inquisition?" comments.

Then at 10:15:

It only took you 3 minutes. Good jorb!

Widescreen
8/28/2007, 11:04 AM
By the way, you should be a little more concerned about current Islamists trying to kill you than 800 year old Christians doing it. Just sayin.

Rogue
8/28/2007, 11:10 AM
Just like "Democrats/Republicans/Whigs" support slavery, since 300 years ago they all did. Right?

Not right. Wrong. Protestants and Catholics have been going at it quite recently and using terrorist tactics in Ireland for years. Not saying the Irish represent all christians, just that claiming moral superiority based on religion doesn't jive with the reputation of christians throughout history, including recent modern history.

Rogue
8/28/2007, 11:16 AM
By the way, you should be a little more concerned about current Islamists trying to kill you than 800 year old Christians doing it. Just sayin.

When I see an 800 year old Christian...I'll worry plenty. In the meantime I'll keep concerning myself with worry about things other than death-by-terrorist.

Okieflyer
8/28/2007, 11:57 AM
Not right. Wrong. Protestants and Catholics have been going at it quite recently and using terrorist tactics in Ireland for years. Not saying the Irish represent all christians, just that claiming moral superiority based on religion doesn't jive with the reputation of christians throughout history, including recent modern history.

Here we go again!:rolleyes:

When you can show in the bible where any of that was justified, great. I know you can't. So I would say that maybe they weren't following in the teachings of Christ. But I would say the Muslim "extremist" are definately following the teachings and examples of Mohammed.

OklahomaRed
8/28/2007, 12:00 PM

Protestant versus Catholic? Not really. The Irish just can't stand the English. Bunch of frickin' Limey's. :D

mdklatt
8/28/2007, 12:02 PM
HBut I would say the Muslim "extremist" are definately following the teachings and examples of Mohammed.

So you're a Muslim scholar?

Okieflyer
8/28/2007, 12:15 PM
So you're a Muslim scholar?

Yes, I have studied it. Have taken classes and everything. Unlike a lot of the liberal muslim apologists who really know very little about it.

Stoop Dawg
8/28/2007, 12:26 PM
This debate has been had and re-had and is quite boring at this point.

The OP said that maybe the Post would be afraid of Christians if they protested a little more. I simply pointed out that Wal-Mart and other major retailers are afraid of Christian boycotts/protests. If you guys can't see the similarities, then that's your problem.

Now back to your regular "Christians don't kill people. Oh, they do, but the Bible doesn't endorse it. Oh, the Bible does endorse it, but that's the OT and it doesn't count. Blah, blah, blah" programming.

mdklatt
8/28/2007, 12:31 PM
Yes, I have studied it. Have taken classes and everything. Unlike a lot of the liberal muslim apologists who really know very little about it.

Then I guess the 1 billion or so Muslims that aren't killing infidels are doing it wrong. Maybe they should take a class, too.

SoonerProphet
8/28/2007, 12:36 PM
I wanna buy a bottle of The Glenlivet on Sundays damnit and this is the work of extremists!!!!!!

Okieflyer
8/28/2007, 12:40 PM
Then I guess the 1 billion or so Muslims that aren't killing infidels are doing it wrong. Maybe they should take a class, too.

Exactly! Now your getting it.;)

Okieflyer
8/28/2007, 12:42 PM
If you guys can't see the similarities, then that's your problem.

No apparently it's your, problem not ours.

crawfish
8/28/2007, 01:10 PM
This debate has been had and re-had and is quite boring at this point.

The OP said that maybe the Post would be afraid of Christians if they protested a little more. I simply pointed out that Wal-Mart and other major retailers are afraid of Christian boycotts/protests. If you guys can't see the similarities, then that's your problem.

Now back to your regular "Christians don't kill people. Oh, they do, but the Bible doesn't endorse it. Oh, the Bible does endorse it, but that's the OT and it doesn't count. Blah, blah, blah" programming.

I bet most of the Middle East and Israel wish they were just afraid of boycotts. :rolleyes:

I've said it before - if a Christian commits murder or an atrocity they do it against the very words and actions of their founder. If a Muslim does it, they cannot say the same thing. Come to think of it, neither can a communist. :)

Back to comparing apples with oranges programming...

Stoop Dawg
8/28/2007, 01:26 PM
I've said it before - if a Christian commits murder or an atrocity they do it against the very words and actions of their founder.

Sorry Craw, that only works if you maintain that God (the father) and Jesus (the son) are separate entities. Since you are mono-theistic, you can't draw that distinction and therefore must consider the OT actions of God (the father) to also be the actions of Jesus (the son) - founder of Christianity.

No?

sanantoniosooner
8/28/2007, 01:45 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6964564.stm

Scott D
8/28/2007, 01:47 PM
personally I think the answer is to just get rid of the comics section in the sunday paper.

Ike
8/28/2007, 01:53 PM
personally I think the answer is to just get rid of the comics section in the sunday paper.
Then why have a paper at all?

sanantoniosooner
8/28/2007, 01:55 PM
coupons.

1,000s and 1,000s of coupons

crawfish
8/28/2007, 02:06 PM
Sorry Craw, that only works if you maintain that God (the father) and Jesus (the son) are separate entities. Since you are mono-theistic, you can't draw that distinction and therefore must consider the OT actions of God (the father) to also be the actions of Jesus (the son) - founder of Christianity.

No?

No.

That would assume that the purpose of the old and new covenants were the same, which is untrue (and the NT fully supports this). It's only a good argument for those who don't understand the word and want to attack it. Fundamentalists commit atrocities all the time, in the name of "something".

I do agree that fundamentalists of all flavors can be dangerous. Fundamentalism doesn't need a God to be that way. HOWEVER: one must look to the basis for a group to determine how "dangerous" the fundamentalists will be; Islam provides incredible support for violence; Christianity does not.

Comparing Christians threatening to boycott Wal-Mart against carrying NC-17 movies to suicide bombers is like comparing slugging somebody to shooting them in the face; we're talking about such huge differences in scale that they simply do not correlate.

crawfish
8/28/2007, 02:08 PM

My paper has OU articles every now and then. Some are even positive.

Of course, I can read 'em online...

Ike
8/28/2007, 02:16 PM
It's my own personal observation that most of the problems we attribute to various religons, are, at their core, political problems rather than religious problems. Fundamentalists are generally the people who look for justification of their side of the political problem in some religious text and then begin to run with it.

just my .02

Scott D
8/28/2007, 06:56 PM
quit using logic ike you heathen.