PDA

View Full Version : A Book Recommendation for Movie Lovers (This Means You, PG)

Viking Kitten
8/27/2007, 11:18 AM
Making Movies by Sidney Lumet.

Just finished reading it yesterday. Awesome. Lumet has directed several amazing, classic movies, like "12 Angry Men," "Dog Day Afternoon" and "Serpico," but he has made it a point to branch out into different genres as well, such as musicals ("The Wiz").

This book will give you a much greater appreciation for the bajillion artistic and technical decisions that go into movie making, and how one wrong decision can throw off an entire movie, but how seemingly insignificant details like subtle lighting shifts can enhance the whole movie.

It's also very well written. He explains a lot of very technical information in a way that's really easy to understand. Not many non-fiction works are hard to put down when you need to, but this one was. I stayed up way past my bedtime a couple nights because I was so enthralled. I don't think I'll ever watch a movie the same way again after reading this.

King Crimson
8/27/2007, 11:37 AM
Lumet also directed Network.

Viking Kitten
8/27/2007, 11:41 AM
He talks about that "Network" extensively in the book. I haven't seen it since I was a little kid, it's now at the top of my Netflix queue. Same thing with "Murder on the Orient Express." There's practically a whole chapter devoted to the description of the holy hell he went through to get one five-second shot of the train. It was really interesting.

proud gonzo
8/27/2007, 11:52 AM
sweeeeeet