PDA

View Full Version : LAST DAY!!! - Donate to Herman Mitchell's funeral fund

Rhino
8/26/2007, 03:31 PM
Sorry, donations are over.

NCAA Approves Waiver for Mitchell (http://www.soonersports.com/genrel/083007aac.html)

The NCAA approved OU's waiver request Thursday to accept funds to help defray funeral costs for football recruit Herman Mitchell killed last week. Those who wish to contribute should mail checks to the OU Athletics Department made out to "O-Club, Inc. " with "Mitchell Fund" written in the memo line. The checks will not be accepted unless the memo line contains "Mitchell Fund".

The money will be deposited in an account designated specifically to defray funeral costs for the family.

The NCAA also approved Oklahoma's request for head coach Bob Stoops and two additional OU coaches to travel to Houston. The Oklahoma coaches will meet with members of Mitchell's family and visit Westfield High School. Coach Stoops will present the family with a framed Oklahoma jersey.

Checks should be mailed to:
OU Athletics Department
McClendon Center for Intercollegiate Athletics
180 W Brooks, Suite 3575
Norman, OK 73019

Again, please make out the check to "O-Club, Inc." and write "Mitchell Fund" in the memo line. =====

Herman's murder (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=705919)

Herman's recruitment (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1931384&postcount=15)

birddog
8/27/2007, 02:51 PM
done!

colleyvillesooner
8/27/2007, 03:41 PM
:mad:

http://hermanmitchellousooners.pledgepage.org/

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/27/2007, 03:50 PM
I just saw that. What a crock of ****

Paperclip
8/27/2007, 03:54 PM
I hate to say I wondered if it was within the rules to do this.

SOONER STEAKER
8/27/2007, 03:59 PM
Send the money paid to the family or to the funeral home or send it to the HS coach in care of the family. I didn't donate so that OU compliance can stop the flow of money. Here's RED TAPE at it's best.

NCAA rules sux in this instance.

Rhino
8/27/2007, 04:19 PM
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY DONATIONS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA HAS ASKED ME TO STOP TAKING DONATIONS. Herman had a younger brother in the 10th grade and this could be against NCAA rules because he plays football. Those that have already given, when I hear what to do or am advised on what is allowed, I will let you know. Thanks again, god bless. (http://hermanmitchellousooners.pledgepage.org/)

Dio
8/27/2007, 06:15 PM
Typical NCAA crap. When do we take the next step from the CFA days and break away completely from these bozos?

SoonerDood
8/27/2007, 08:04 PM
those on the idiot board railed on a poster for wondering if it was against the rules. I guess he was right to be concerned.

goingoneight
8/27/2007, 10:16 PM
Which idiot board? There's a lot of orange ones.

tommieharris91
8/27/2007, 11:33 PM
Tell me the program ain't gonna get the death penalty over this.

batonrougesooner
8/27/2007, 11:47 PM
Send the money paid to the family or to the funeral home or send it to the HS coach in care of the family. I didn't donate so that OU compliance can stop the flow of money. Here's RED TAPE at it's best.

NCAA rules sux in this instance.

I don't disagree that this is a crock of you know what. But...

The problem is that if people persist in sending money, regardless of whose name it's in, the University could still get in trouble.

It is a slippery slope. If you are reading this board and willing to donate money, the NCAA could consider you a "booster" of the OU athletic program.

The OU athletic department isn't interested in stopping people from helping the family. They just understand how this could play out later. Remember the probation the department is under? Think Kelvin Sampson and I-35...Norman.

A manufactured "scandal" here could result in severe penalties for the department. None of us want that obviously.

olevetonahill
8/27/2007, 11:54 PM
That shat sucks ! :mad:
Most of us had NO idea about a younger Bro. We were just wantin to help the Family
If this is a Bad thing then nCaa needs to give the Death penalty to uSuc.
Just my 2 cents !

freshchris05
8/27/2007, 11:59 PM
bullsh*t... its always somethin, huh?

SoonerKnight
8/28/2007, 12:58 AM
I don't get it! He was a high school football player and had not yet signed with OU?????? So why can't we donate?

Rhino
8/28/2007, 02:25 PM
I don't get it! He was a high school football player and had not yet signed with OU?????? So why can't we donate? He has a younger brother that plays football that OU may want to recruit in the next couple years.

Rhino
8/28/2007, 05:03 PM
UPDATE: 08/28

Here is the latest between myself, OU and the NCAA. If you can help spread it to other boards it would be appreciated, I am getting tired. http://ouinsider.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

The NCAA has told OU no way no how on plan 1, because of the brother in the 10th grade.

The OU compliance office is being helpful and asking the NCAA about 2 other options for me. Let me be clear, I will not do either option without emailing and seeking approval from each person that donated to move forward with the other options or hearing from them first.

Option 1. A contribution to the Texas High School Coaches Association Benevloence Fund. It is set up for emergencies like this and already has been there to help the Mitchell family.

Option 2. A scholarship setup through OU, or OU Club of Houston. It would only be a one time scholarship, not recurring.

Option 3. Complete Refund, Keep it, donate it, whatever.

I applaud everyone's efforts. Unofficially, I am over $4,000.

I am hoping to hear from OU by tomorrow afternoon. (http://ouinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10474)

NormanPride
8/28/2007, 05:33 PM
Either option 1 or 2 would be great. The NCAA can be frustrating...

achiro
8/28/2007, 05:44 PM
Not trying to be a prick but what would the money be used for exactly? I think a donation to the coach's fund in his name would be cool, maybe something like that but I can see how people could cause problems down the road if the money went to the family, younger brother turns out to be a stud, commits to OU "because of the generosity of the fans" I know it sucks but I can truly see how it could pan out in the long run.

Rhino
8/28/2007, 06:42 PM
Not trying to be a prick but what would the money be used for exactly? There was a story that Herman lost some weight this summer and when asked, said it was because his family didn't have enough money for him to eat every day. Whether that 100% true or not, his family isn't well off. Offsetting the cost of the funeral or something would be positive, IMO.

But, yes, it's a slippery slope since his little brother is a future prospect.

I think Option #1 is the best scenario.

freshchris05
8/28/2007, 11:41 PM
So, is the brother supposed to be a pretty good athlete as well? Or would it not matter if he was just some kid who played trombone in the marching band?

colleyvillesooner
8/29/2007, 11:23 AM
http://newsok.com/article/3113417/1188403649

OU to seek waiver for fund-raiser for recruit's funeral

NORMAN (AP) - The University of Oklahoma will ask the NCAA for a waiver to allow a booster to continue raising money to help the family of a football recruit pay for the player's funeral, a school spokesman said Wednesday.

Herman Mitchell, a 6-foot, 200-pound linebacker, orally committed in June to play for the Sooners, but the 17-year-old who attended Westfield High School in Houston, was fatally shot Friday with a rifle after getting into a fight at a Houston apartment complex.

Soon after, Oklahoma booster Adam Fineberg, who lives in Houston, began raising money for Mitchell's family to help defray the player's funeral costs. Fineberg had raised about $4,500 before university compliance officials told him his actions violated NCAA rules.

Oklahoma officials said they had been told Tuesday by the NCAA that the money raised by Fineberg would constitute illegal financial assistance under NCAA rules, because Mitchell's brother is a sophomore football player at Westfield and Fineberg is considered to be an Oklahoma booster.

Fineberg said his only intention was to help Mitchell's mother to pay for the funeral.

Oklahoma athletic department spokesman Kenny Mossman said the university plans to submit a request to the NCAA for a waiver that would allow Fineberg to resume his fundraising. NCAA spokesman Erik Christianson said the organization "would consider that if the university chose to go down that avenue."

Mossman said Wednesday that the waiver request would "just outline the situation and parameters" of where the money would go and would likely be submitted to the NCAA within a few days.

"I'm sure they'll recognize this is a situation that merits a quick review," Mossman said.

Fineberg said he expected to raise at least $10,000, which would cover the cost of Mitchell's funeral. His plan was to collect donations until Oct. 1, then give the money to Mitchell's family on Oct. 5.

"I understand that rules shouldn't be broken," Fineberg said. "But I don't understand this rule."

Soon after the shooting, authorities arrested a 19-year-old Louisiana man, Emile "Rusty" Lewis, and charged him with murder.

SoonerStormchaser
8/29/2007, 12:55 PM
I'm thinking the NCAA will do the following after this appeal:
1. Deny OUr request.
2. Make us forfeit all the games he was supposed to play in starting next season through 2012.

sooner518
8/29/2007, 07:41 PM
This article got picked up by ESPN. Kinda cool
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2996220&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines

Jdog
8/29/2007, 09:20 PM
Fineburg should go to a local Houston bank and set up a fund - and request donation through the bank. It’s done all the time – half the obits in every newspaper list a memorial fund.
He should post the bank information on the web so OU fans can find it – explaining how they can donate. This takes it out of Fineburg's hands and puts it into the bank's hands. Other people besides Sooners can also donate. They might make more money that way. Or is this just about OU fans?

GrapevineSooner
8/29/2007, 11:57 PM
Fineburg should go to a local Houston bank and set up a fund - and request donation through the bank. It’s done all the time – half the obits in every newspaper list a memorial fund.
He should post the bank information on the web so OU fans can find it – explaining how they can donate. This takes it out of Fineburg's hands and puts it into the bank's hands. Other people besides Sooners can also donate. They might make more money that way. Or is this just about OU fans?

I'm thinking this is the option that makes the most sense.

I honestly recognize why the NCAA has the rule in effect. And given the circumstances, I'm very hopeful that reasonable people can come to a reasonable decision.

garland sooner
8/30/2007, 12:10 AM
you are asking a lot from a bunch of wackos who don't know right from wrong.

humblesooner
8/30/2007, 01:41 PM
you are asking a lot from a bunch of wackos who don't know right from wrong.

Are you taking about the NCAA?

Of course they know right from wrong.
If it's OU or Georgia, it's wrong.
If it's SuC, ND, tOSU or any other institution, it's right.

BoomerJack
8/30/2007, 04:30 PM
From Jdog: "This takes it out of Fineburg's hands and puts it into the bank's hands. Other people besides Sooners can also donate. They might make more money that way. Or is this just about OU fans?"

Unfortunately, I believe that the ship has already sailed on this. The NCAA knows that an OU Alum/Booster/Fan initiated it and initially solicited donations from primarily from other OU Alums/Boosters/Fans. In their view, it would still be improper and would require some sort of waiver or divine intervention to make it happen.

crimson2
8/30/2007, 04:46 PM
NCAA Works With University of Oklahoma to Assist Family of Recruit

INDIANAPOLIS—The NCAA has granted a waiver for the University of Oklahoma to set up a fund to assist with funeral expenses of football recruit Herman Mitchell, who was slain last week in his hometown of Houston.

Funds raised by an OU booster can be transferred to the university to help pay for funeral expenses under the conditions of the waiver, which was received and granted today by NCAA membership services staff.

“This is a tragic circumstance, and we are glad we were able to work quickly with OU to assist this family in their time of need,” said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice-president for membership services.

Mitchell’s younger brother is a high school football player and a potential recruit, which required the university to seek a waiver of bylaws that in general prohibit university boosters from providing preferential treatment to prospective student-athletes and their families.

Lennon pointed out that those bylaws cannot take into account the unique circumstances of every situation. The NCAA carefully considers the best interests of everyone involved with each waiver request, he said.

“This is a case where our waiver process worked exactly as it is intended—to collaborate with a member institution to address an individual situation,” Lennon said.

The waiver sets the following conditions:

The University of Oklahoma will take control of fundraising, including taking control of funds already donated to the booster.
OU can use the funds to directly cover the cost of the funeral and memorial services. Donations cannot be received after Sept. 14. Funds cannot be disbursed directly to the family.
Any excess funds will be donated to a Houston-area non-profit organization to be determined by the university.

ourichie
8/30/2007, 08:38 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted.

NORMAN, Okla. -- The NCAA granted a waiver Thursday for the University of Oklahoma to set up a fund to assist with funeral expenses for the family of a slain football recruit.

Herman Mitchell, a 6-foot, 200-pound linebacker, verbally committed in June to play for the Sooners, but the 17-year-old from Westfield High School in Houston was shot to death Aug. 24 after getting into a fight at an apartment complex.

Soon after, Oklahoma booster and Houston resident Adam Fineberg began raising money for Mitchell's family to help defray the player's funeral costs. Fineberg had raised about $4,500 before university compliance officials told him his actions violated NCAA rules. He has since refunded the money.

Oklahoma officials said they'd been told Tuesday by the NCAA that the money raised by Fineberg would constitute illegal financial assistance under NCAA rules, because Mitchell's brother is a sophomore football player at Westfield and Fineberg is considered to be an Oklahoma booster.

Fineberg said his only intention was to help Mitchell's mother to pay for the funeral. Oklahoma compliance officials requested the waiver on Wednesday.

"We're happy with their decision and now we have we have a little bit of work to do, to make sure we do this in accordance with NCAA rules and with the laws of Oklahoma," Oklahoma athletic department spokesman Kenny Mossman said.

Under the waiver, granted by the NCAA's membership services staff, any funds raised by Fineberg can be transferred to the university to help pay for funeral expenses.

The waiver has three conditions -- that the university take control of the fundraising and any funds already donated to Fineberg; that the university use the funds to directly cover the costs of the funeral and memorial services, with no money going directly to the family; and that any excess funds be donated to a Houston-area nonprofit organization to be chosen by the university.

"This is a tragic circumstance, and we are glad we were able to work quickly with OU to assist this family in their time of need," said Kevin Lennon, the NCAA vice president for membership services.

Lennon said NCAA bylaws cannot take into account the unique circumstances of every situation.

"This is a case where our waiver process worked exactly as it is intended -- to collaborate with a member institution to address an individual situation," he said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

OUDoc
8/30/2007, 08:42 PM
Wait, the NCAA did the right thing?

hookem31
8/30/2007, 09:26 PM
I am shocked. But I'm also glad. I'm still shocked, though.

r5TPsooner
8/30/2007, 09:27 PM
Even a squirrel catches a nut sometimes.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/30/2007, 09:40 PM
I feel I should donate now.
This whole publicity thing is probably the best thing that could have happened to the fund.

soonerboomer93
8/31/2007, 03:16 AM
NCAA Approves Waiver for Mitchell
NCAA approves OU's waiver to collect funds to assist family defray funeral costs.

Aug. 30, 2007

NORMAN, Okla. -- The NCAA approved OU's waiver request Thursday to accept funds to help defray funeral costs for football recruit Herman Mitchell killed last week.

Those who wish to contribute should mail checks to the OU Athletics Department made out to the "O-Club" with "Mitchell Fund" written in the memo line. The checks will not be accepted unless the memo line contains "Mitchell Fund".

The money will be deposited in an account designated specifically to defray funeral costs for the family.

The NCAA also approved Oklahoma's request for head coach Bob Stoops and two additional OU coaches to travel to Houston. The Oklahoma coaches will meet with members of Mitchell's family and visit Westfield High School. Coach Stoops will present the family with a framed Oklahoma jersey.

Checks should be mailed to:

O-Club
McClendon Center for Intercollegiate Athletics
180 W Brooks, Suite 3575
Norman, OK 73019

Again, checks cannot be accepted unless the memo line reads "Mitchell Fund

with linkage....
http://www.soonersports.com/genrel/083007aac.html

Condescending Sooner
8/31/2007, 08:46 AM
I have a feeling that in the future, the NCAA will decide OU didn't handle the fund properly and put us on probation. It's a set up dammit!

wishbonesooner
8/31/2007, 11:20 AM
Our idiot cousins up north show their class on this subject:
http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=181#s=181&f=2336&t=910829

Boomer.....
8/31/2007, 11:42 AM
Glad to see the NCAA making a good decision for once.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/31/2007, 03:40 PM
sometimes I have to stop and think about what a reliable, classy, caring fan base we are :)

soonerloyal
8/31/2007, 04:42 PM

How in the hell can ANY fan base - no matter what school affiliation, no matter how deep their hatred of the University of Oklahoma Football program - say such hateful things about a lone man's wish to help a grieving family with its financial and emotional burden?

I understand fully the care with which this must be handled. But I cannot, I will not understand on any level the callousness and utterly disgusting lack of taste and kindness that is the wellspring of such undignified and immature backbiting. If those "fans" were my children, I'd slap them into the wall and never be able to look at them with the same amount of respect ever again.

I again send my prayers and love to this family. I send my appreciation as well to the man who started this attempt at help. God recognizes your heart's desire and will send you blessing a thousandfold accordingly.

To the people who would see an opportunity to bash OU's football program because of this desire to help someone in pain - I only pray that God does not see fit to allow you to reap the poison you've sown.

My excitement of the new season has now been dampened by the likes of BS I'd never think possible from fellow Oklahomans. Thanks, Wolfpoke and Co., for bringing my beloved Oklahoma's sh**bird count to a new level of indecency. My grandmother, after seeing that OSU thread, is thoroughly ashamed to be a Cowboy Alumni. I don't blame her - she's absolutely right.

I think I'm going to be sick.

oupride
9/5/2007, 08:58 AM
Deadline in September 14?

mrjeffmaxwell
9/6/2007, 01:32 AM
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=97147463

that's herms myspace. he's pretty tatted up. too bad

goingoneight
9/6/2007, 01:53 AM
How in the hell can ANY fan base - no matter what school affiliation, no matter how deep their hatred of the University of Oklahoma Football program - say such hateful things about a lone man's wish to help a grieving family with its financial and emotional burden?

I understand fully the care with which this must be handled. But I cannot, I will not understand on any level the callousness and utterly disgusting lack of taste and kindness that is the wellspring of such undignified and immature backbiting. If those "fans" were my children, I'd slap them into the wall and never be able to look at them with the same amount of respect ever again.

I again send my prayers and love to this family. I send my appreciation as well to the man who started this attempt at help. God recognizes your heart's desire and will send you blessing a thousandfold accordingly.

To the people who would see an opportunity to bash OU's football program because of this desire to help someone in pain - I only pray that God does not see fit to allow you to reap the poison you've sown.

My excitement of the new season has now been dampened by the likes of BS I'd never think possible from fellow Oklahomans. Thanks, Wolfpoke and Co., for bringing my beloved Oklahoma's sh**bird count to a new level of indecency. My grandmother, after seeing that OSU thread, is thoroughly ashamed to be a Cowboy Alumni. I don't blame her - she's absolutely right.

I think I'm going to be sick.

Totally agree.

Did they ever find out anything else from the guy they arrested? PM me if anyone knows so we don't dirt up the thread.

oupride
9/6/2007, 12:35 PM
I just mailed my check. Thanks for the thread!

9/10/2007, 11:52 PM
It all depends if you guys are donors to the program or not.

If not, donate away. Help them out. If you are donors though, you might think twice about it. I know it sucks, but that is the way it is.

Rhino
9/11/2007, 09:40 PM
It all depends if you guys are donors to the program or not.

If not, donate away. Help them out. If you are donors though, you might think twice about it. I know it sucks, but that is the way it is. The NCAA has granted a waiver and the money is being distributed by OU.

Anyone can donate - donor or not.

Piware
9/14/2007, 04:48 PM

Without a doubt the biggest collection of flaming a**holes that ever lived. One of these days the Pukes are going to get hung out to dry and I will lead the celebration. Hypocritical, holier than thou, *$%)# jerkoffs. No wonder even the sheep can't stand them and have to participate forcibly.

Rhino
9/14/2007, 04:55 PM
Check the first post on how.