PDA

View Full Version : I don't think they like to be called that...

colleyvillesooner
8/26/2007, 08:52 AM
;)

Gay takes 100 meter gold at world championships

OSAKA, Japan -- American Tyson Gay surged past Asafa Powell to win the 100 meters at the track and field world championships Sunday in 9.85 seconds.

Gay had the season's best time of 9.84 seconds and was undefeated in the year coming into Osaka. Now, he has his first gold medal at a major international championship.

Powell, the co-holder of the world record, powered out of the blocks, leading most of the way until he was overtaken by Gay and Derrick Atkins of the Bahamas.

Atkins took silver in a national record 9.90, and Jamaica's Powell was third in 9.96.

Earlier in the semifinal heats, Powell burst from the blocks at high speed and remained focused on the line for the first 50 meters and then started checking out his challengers.

Cruising, Powell let Derrick Atkins of the Bahamas take the heat in 10.04 seconds. Powell, who holds the world record at 9.77, was next in 10:08.

Not to be outdone, Gay had his first decent start of the weekend. The American hit his stride and coasted to the best qualifying time, 10.00.

Both are focused on winning their first global title and bragging rights going into next year's Beijing Olympics.

In a tense shot put final, New Zealander Valerie Vili overtook defending champion Nadzeya Ostapchuk of Belarus with her last attempt of 20.54 meters. Ostapchuk, who held the lead from the opening throw, had one attempt to go but was stranded just 6 centimeters short. Olympic silver medalist Nadine Kleinert of Germany took bronze with 19.77.

In the women's 100 heats, Veronica Campbell of Jamaica cruised into the second round in 11.33 seconds, hardly breaking a sweat in temperatures which soared into the high 80s.

Her main rival, U.S. champion Tori Edwards, won her heat in 11.14, easing up at the finish.

"I feel confident I can take this thing, the track is fast," she said. "It's hot, but sprinters like the hot weather."

Defending champion Lauryn Williams was second in her heat, advancing in 11.41.

In the heptathlon, Sweden's Carolina Kluft was poised to stretch her five-year unbeaten streak and add an unprecedented third straight heptathlon title. She also closed in on a European record, currently held by Russian Nikitina Larisa with 7,007 points.

After her favorite long jump and the javelin throw, Kluft had 6,105 points, 38 points inside her tally at the same stage when she set her personal best in winning the 2003 title in Paris.

Ukraine's Lyudmila Blonska stuck as close as possible with 5,963.

The heptathlon ends with the 800 late Sunday.

Jefferson Perez became the first man to win three successive 20-kilometer walk titles, enough to make him a star in his native Ecuador. Together with the 1996 Olympic title, the 33-year old became a quadruple gold medalist at major competitions.

"I knew I could be the first with three consecutive golds but shortly after the start I forgot about this -- I needed to concentrate," he said. "One more medal is not that important."

Spain's Francisco Javier Fernandez was reinstated to silver in the walk after being disqualified for lifting over the final stretch to catch Tunisia's Hatem Ghoula.

In a sport notorious for its technical infractions, Fernandez had both feet off the ground as he raced past Ghoula. The jury of appeal ruled it was insufficient to merit a disqualification. Both racers were given the same time of 1 hour 22.40 minutes, 20 seconds.

The appeal cost Mexico's Eder Sanchez the bronze.

OKC-SLC
8/26/2007, 09:00 AM
At least he didn't have to come from behind.

olevetonahill
8/26/2007, 09:06 AM
At least he didn't have to come from behind.
And NO one pushed up the stool !:eek:

jdsooner
8/26/2007, 10:43 AM
Tyson? What's so funny about chickens?

AlbqSooner
8/26/2007, 12:23 PM
I know a guy whose last name is Gay. He spent 4 years in the Navy with that on his chest. One tough sumbitch by the time he got discharged.

batonrougesooner
8/26/2007, 08:59 PM
I could believe a gay taking 100 millimeters, but 100 meters? Ouch. Didn't know they had world championships for this kind of thing. Learn something everyday.

colleyvillesooner
8/30/2007, 03:43 PM
gay win"s again!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/08/30/bc.run.worldchampionshi.ap/index.html

Gay completes sprint double

OSAKA, Japan (AP) -- Tyson Gay completed a sprint double in record time, winning a gold medal in the 200 meters at the world championships.

Gay caught up with Jamaica's Usain Bolt halfway through and powered the rest of the way to win in a championship record time of 19.76 seconds.
ADVERTISEMENT

Maurice Green (1999) and Justin Gatlin (2005) are the only previous male athletes to have won sprint doubles at the championships.

Gay didn't display the breastbeating and shouting that followed his victory against world record holder Asafa Powell in the 100. After eight races in six days, he hunched down in contemplation and stuck one finger in the air.

Bolt was .15 seconds behind Gay, and U.S. teammate Wallace Spearmon took bronze in 20.05.

"I got beaten by the No. 1 man in the world," Bolt said.

On Sunday, Gay can join elite company if he wins the 400 relay. Only Carl Lewis (1983, 1987), Michael Johnson (1995) and Maurice Greene (1999) have won a triple at the world championships.

Gay increased the gold count to six for the United States, with 13 overall to lead the standings. Russia has three gold and 10 overall. Kenya is third with three gold and eight overall.

Earlier Jana Rawlinson proved that titles and records mean little -- and that motherhood can strengthen a runner, not slow her.

Facing Russian defending champion and 400-meter hurdles world record holder Yuliya Pechonkina, the Australian took over the race midway through and held on over the final two hurdles to reclaim the title she won in 2003.

Just over eight months after giving birth to Cornelis, the 24-year-old came back as strong as ever.

"The last 18 months have been truly incredible. Getting married, having a baby and then coming and winning a world title. I don't think you can beat that," Rawlinson said.

She won her world title and competed as Jana Pittman until she married her British coach, Chris Rawlinson, last year.

Pechenkina had an undefeated season until the last stretch but held no grudge, the pair hugging at the finish.

"I'm really hoping that Yuliya and I can dominate the sport and bring a bit more love into the women's 400 hurdles because it's a great event," Rawlinson said.

Pechenkina said it would be love up to a point: "The revenge could come at the Olympics."

Rawlinson finished in 53.31 seconds. Pechenkina took silver in 53.50 and Anna Jesien of Poland was third in 53.92.

In the long jump, Irving Saladino of Panama rallied on the last attempt to beat Andrew Howe of Italy with a leap of 28 feet, 11/2 inches. Earlier, Howe had taken the lead with a national record leap of 27-91/2.

Defending champion Dwight Phillips took bronze.

China won its first medal of the championships when Zhang Wenxiu took bronze in the hammer throw behind Germany's Betty Heidler and Cuban Yipsi Moreno.

After Zhang put China on the medal table, Olympic champion Liu Xiang followed it up by easily qualifying for the final in the 110 hurdles. Easing up at the line, Liu let Cuba's Dayron Robles take the semifinal in 13.21 seconds to his 13.25.

American David Payne had the top time of 13.19, with teammate Terrence Trammell posting the third quickest time overall. Defending champion Ladji Doucoure of France was eliminated for Friday's final.

In the 800, defending champion Rachid Ramzi of Bahrain finished second to Mbulaeni Mulaudzi of South Africa in his opening heat. Ramzi was the double middle distance champion from Helsinki two years ago, but lost to Bernard Lagat in the 1,500 final late Wednesday, complaining he ran a bad tactical race.