PDA

View Full Version : Paul Thompson makes the Packer Roster?

WisconsinSooner
8/25/2007, 10:46 AM
For what it's worth, Green Bay Packers cut quarterback Ingle Martin.

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2007/08/24/1/

(Posted here since I was obviously too lazy to read through 4 pages of the previously posted relevent thread that containted this information)

sooner518
8/25/2007, 11:03 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97948&page=3

badger
8/25/2007, 11:39 AM
For what it's worth, Green Bay Packers cut quarterback Ingle Martin.

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2007/08/24/1/

(Posted here since I was obviously too lazy to read through 4 pages of the previously posted relevent thread that containted this information)
w00t w00t! good to see another packer fan here! (please don't tell me you're one of those weird people in wisconsin that cheer for whatever team's winning)

brett favre quote spek!

and yes, this is good news for PT. they wanted to give Ingle one last chance, and he blew it, along with the game (admittedly, a meaningless, preseason, doesn't-really-count game).

So now, PT needs to prove himself too, because there are veteran QB's out there that could also satisfy the role--- remember when irony struck green bay with having jim mcmahon as favre's backup? uggggh, stupid mcmahon. They had him on a local packer show and teased him with highlights from his chicago days of fighting with a packer dude. what a character. he and boz could have been long lost brothers.

WisconsinSooner
8/25/2007, 12:25 PM
w00t w00t! good to see another packer fan here! (please don't tell me you're one of those weird people in wisconsin that cheer for whatever team's winning)

I hate to respond because of the thread bump factor and I deserve to be lit up starting this thread since it's just a repost of what's already been posted but no, I'm not one of those people. lol I've been here for 5 years now and the only thing that's really changed about my likes and dislikes from my Oklahoma days is that I have grown a huge dislike for FIBS. (Wisconsin term)

Sooner24
8/25/2007, 02:56 PM
Posted August 25, 2007

GM Thompson doesn't rule out keeping two at QB

By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

Ted Thompson never has been with an NFL team that kept only two quarterbacks on its roster, but despite his mild protestations, he might seriously be considering doing so this year.

The Green Bay Packers' general manager on Friday waived quarterback Ingle Martin as part of the team's roster reduction from 87 players to 75 — they don't have to be down to 75 until Tuesday but chose to make all but one of the cuts Friday after playing Thursday night.

The move leaves the team with only three quarterbacks — starter Brett Favre, No. 2 Aaron Rodgers and undrafted rookie Paul Thompson.

However, Paul Thompson hasn't played well enough to assure himself a roster spot, and he and Martin are eligible for the practice squad. So considering Favre's unprecedented durability, Ted Thompson might be contemplating going with only two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster to save a spot for a more highly rated player at another position, such as defensive line or defensive back. Thompson, always coy about upcoming roster decisions, reiterated he'd never been with a team with only two quarterbacks, but kept open the option.

"Sure," he said. "At any position …"

Ted Thompson said he cut Martin in part because the second-year pro played Thursday night against Jacksonville and wasn't scheduled to play next week at Tennessee — that game will be Paul Thompson's turn as the third-stringer. Cutting Martin allowed the Packers to keep other players at positions at which they're short-handed because of injuries.

It appears unlikely any team would pick up Martin, who was 2-for-3 passing for 6 yards and a passer rating of 30.6 points against Jacksonville, so the Packers should be able to re-sign him to their practice squad.

Though Martin was in his second season with the Packers and a fifth-round draft pick in 2006, Paul Thompson played about as well in training camp and has more physical talent at 6-foot-4 and 216 pounds. Coach Mike McCarthy said Favre might not play at Tennessee, so Thompson could get extensive playing time in his final audition.

The Packers like his live arm, mobility and intangibles, though he's extremely raw. He was a starting quarterback at Oklahoma for only one season, as a senior after working at receiver the previous season and spring.

"I like the way he carries himself in the huddle, he's got an air about him on the field," Ted Thompson said. "He likes to play the game. I watch players during practice to see how they conduct themselves, he's very intent on watching the other guys and seeing how they're doing it and studying defenses. And I think he has some physical ability. He can throw the ball pretty well and move around and has good height. I just think there's some qualities there."

Paul Thompson probably will need a strong performance to win a roster spot after throwing two interceptions and going 5-for-10 passing against Seattle in his last preseason appearance, against Seattle. Besides keeping only two quarterbacks on the final roster and signing Paul Thompson or Martin to the practice squad, Ted Thompson also could add a young quarterback released by another team.

"Even though we've played three preseason games, we've still got another week and another game to play," Ted Thompson said. "Interaction with other clubs, trades and waiver claims and things like that. So it depends on how it all falls out."

Newbomb Turk
8/25/2007, 03:23 PM
I deserve to be lit up starting this thread since it's just a repost of what's already been posted
no you don't. There's a brazilion stupid threads started on this site and at least yours has good content.

King Crimson
8/25/2007, 04:10 PM
as the starter of the other thread, i think it's a legit question a Sooner fan would ask. especially when Ingle Martin got cut. i didn't check much when i started my epic thread....I just got lucky.

look forward to more reports on PT from Wiscy country, unless he gets cut and we hang the messenger under a bridge, tar and effigy etc. ;)

Newbomb Turk
8/25/2007, 04:13 PM
epic thread to say the least. if'n I were a sponsor, minimum 3 stars.

King Crimson
8/25/2007, 04:14 PM
epic thread to say the least. if'n I were a sponsor, minimun 3 stars.

you'd got a good eye for thread talent, Newcomb.

Newbomb Turk
8/25/2007, 04:15 PM
only you can get away with calling me that.

damn, and I see you quoted me before I corrected my typo.

King Crimson
8/25/2007, 04:19 PM
hey, i've been meaning to ask you....NbT. have you been posting under the same name at the newish OUInsider hoops board or is that some other Hollywood Knights divinitary/or copycat?

tell me the truth, i post there as sanguinetti. the KC name is on some email i have no idea the pass.

Newbomb Turk
8/25/2007, 04:20 PM
hey, i've been meaning to ask you....NbT. have you been posting under the same name at the newish OUInsider hoops board or is that some other Hollywood Knights divinitary/or copycat?

nope. I'm gonna have to check that out.

King Crimson
8/25/2007, 04:22 PM
the board is the same OU hoops stuff you'd normally expect. we're great/we suck schizo stuff. a lot overblown "i know recruiting stuff". Blake G. will score 40 a game, book it. but, it's talk.

i didn't seem like you much.

Newbomb Turk
8/25/2007, 04:24 PM
i didn't seem like you much.

same as here. ;)

I just checked it out - that bastard. I'm gonna have to register there with a similar name and give him hell.

this thread has been jacked.

Sooner24
8/25/2007, 05:43 PM
same as here. ;)

I just checked it out - that bastard. I'm gonna have to register there with a similar name and give him hell.

this thread has been jacked.

http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/offtopic.gif

Scott D
8/25/2007, 05:45 PM
Every time I see that whole "two quarterbacks" thing I keep hoping that Ted Thompson has come to the realization of everyone outside of Packerland, that Aaron Rodgers is a combination of David Carr and Joey Harrington.