PDA

View Full Version : Bob " THE TOOL " Barry jr

DrZaius
8/25/2007, 08:38 AM
I just received my current issue of Sooner Illustrated and the question was posed to the Media of WHO WILL BE THE HEAD COACH OF THE SOONERS IN 3 YEARS?

The Tool's Answer:

Bob Stoops, he has the SECOND best job in Football, Behind MACK BROWN?

He also added that his "Super, Duper" dark horse if Bob would leave would be Dan McCarney.

Man I am glad he is not on TV here.

Flagstaffsooner
8/25/2007, 08:42 AM
BB Jr is getting as senile as his daddy.

oupride
8/25/2007, 09:32 AM
I just received my current issue of Sooner Illustrated and the question was posed to the Media of WHO WILL BE THE HEAD COACH OF THE SOONERS IN 3 YEARS?

The Tool's Answer:

He Answered with a question? Is that the exact quote?

DrZaius
8/25/2007, 09:49 AM
that is the quote? I added the ?.

r5TPsooner
8/25/2007, 09:50 AM
BBJ looks like a porcupine.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/25/2007, 09:57 AM
Listen, you gotta admit, in some ways ole BBJr is right. Ole Mack has got the whorns are lathered up and loving him and his clapping. He shot his wad with the VY MNC, he has them thinking he can coach and he has the glad-handing and back-slapping down. They love him, its a good job, he can win 8-10 games a year, beat Bob a couple times a decade and win a Big 12 every decade and he's set until he dies...

Not a bad gig for couple mill a year.

Miko
8/25/2007, 10:05 AM
Actually, I thought the King once said that ut was the best job in college football. I'm no horn-lover, but neither would I ever contradict the King, especially on matters of college football.

sanantoniosooner
8/25/2007, 10:07 AM
Actually, I thought the King once said that ut was the best job in college football. I'm no horn-lover, but neither would I ever contradict the King, especially on matters of college football.
Exactly.

Crimson shades get in the way of clear thinking sometimes.

jccouger
8/25/2007, 10:45 AM
Texas probably is the best job in college football. Just because they are Texas it doesn't make it untrue..

stoopified
8/25/2007, 11:03 AM
BBJ looks like a porcupine.
:D

badger
8/25/2007, 11:26 AM

The Tool's Answer:

He also added that his "Super, Duper" dark horse if Bob would leave would be Dan McCarney.

Man I am glad he is not on TV here.
Its not his fault that his dad named him after himself. However, the fact that he's using daddy's coattails and name to make outrageous statements is definitely a reason to call him out.

Tool? Definitely. Overrated? Well, wouldn't he have to be rated sort of good first in order to be overrated?

r5TPsooner
8/25/2007, 11:34 AM
Don't get me wrong, UT is a great job, but I still don't have to like it. ;)

I do know one thing, if he was at a place like Miami, Ohio State, or Michigan, he'd probably been gone already.

XingTheRubicon
8/25/2007, 12:48 PM
Texas is the best head coaching job in America.

except for Texas not being a top 5 program
oh and
except for Minnesota having as many AP NC's as Texas
oh and
except for having an ignorant yet arrogant fanbase that threatens and harrasses and vandalizes the property of their own QB
oh and
except for man on man rear sex and water fowl at most public parks
oh and last but not least...
some of the most influential UT boosters.......iron their wranglers....on purpose,........with starch, and wear them in public......near large crowds

Switzer may possibly have been a little smarmy with that comment. Sort of implying that it's the best job because it's so easy to get talent, and it kind of diminishes the accomplishments of the HC at UT.

TXBOOMER
8/25/2007, 12:51 PM
suc has to be the best job.....all those rich little hot chicks running around, not to mention the weather. f texass, Boomer Sooner!

sanantoniosooner
8/25/2007, 01:02 PM
Switzer may possibly have been a little smarmy with that comment. Sort of implying that it's the best job because it's so easy to get talent, and it kind of diminishes the accomplishments of the HC at UT.
Dr. Phil's job is safe for now. I suppose you think his comments about Bill Snyder were a dig at KSU also?

And the "accomplishments" of the HC at UT have NOTHING to do with the prestige and potential of the position.

King Crimson
8/25/2007, 01:59 PM
when you factor in UT and the SWC's "reluctance" to recruit or play the black athlete into the 70's you have to contextualize Barry's comment in "history". but, i think what he says is true....even if a little backhanded. and i think Barry meant what he said, to a degree.

Texans like to talk about how OU would be nothing without Texas recruits, well a lot of those were black athletes who weren't going to play in the SWC. not to say there isn't racism in Oklahoma, but it wasn't nearly as institutionalized as it was in SWC in the 60's.

XingTheRubicon
8/25/2007, 02:53 PM
Dr. Phil's job is safe for now. I suppose you think his comments about Bill Snyder were a dig at KSU also?

And the "accomplishments" of the HC at UT have NOTHING to do with the prestige and potential of the position.

Switzer also said that we (OU) didn't know we won the '85 NC until Miami lost
the '86 sugar bowl. That was an exaggeration. It also happened to be
completely false. The voters were polled before the bowl games and it was
never a question that OU would be crowned if OU beat No 1 Penn St. That's
why Jimmah the idiot was p*ssing and moaning for 3 straight weeks.

Switzer also said OSU's new "bigger shack" facilities should "strike fear in the heart of every Sooner fan." That was an exaggeration. I don't even know where to start with this quote.

Switzer also said that the HC at UT was the best job in the country. That was an exaggeration. This quote just needs a "one of the" attached to it
and it would be just fine.

hope this helps

Newbomb Turk
8/25/2007, 03:26 PM
Crimson shades get in the way of clear thinking sometimes.

ain't that the truth.

sanantoniosooner
8/25/2007, 03:28 PM
X-ing,
So Barry joked once and everything else is a joke too?

UT the THE premier football power in one of the premier recruiting areas with a large alumni base that has deep pockets. They don't compete locally with pro sports.

It's a great job to have in spite of the results any particular coach has. If you CAN'T win there, you probably can't win anywhere.

oumartin
8/25/2007, 03:42 PM
No doubt Texas is potentially the best coaching gig in the sport. However there is that thing called tradition and Texas is probably barely in the top 10 as far as I am concerned for overall programs that coaches would want to be at.

ND
USC
Alabama
OU
Nebraska
Michigan
Ohio State
Possibly Penn State
Florida State
Miami
Florida

all those programs and not necessarily in that order have just as much or more tradition and comparible facilities and or recruiting bases as Texas.

IndianJack
8/25/2007, 03:45 PM
Texas is the best head coaching job in America.

except for Texas not being a top 5 program
oh and
except for Minnesota having as many AP NC's as Texas
oh and
except for having an ignorant yet arrogant fanbase that threatens and harrasses and vandalizes the property of their own QB
oh and
except for man on man rear sex and water fowl at most public parks
oh and last but not least...
some of the most influential UT boosters.......iron their wranglers....on purpose,........with starch, and wear them in public......near large crowds

Exceptionally stated.

Satan will have no problem at UT 'cause all the women will say, "what a cute butt."

sanantoniosooner
8/25/2007, 03:53 PM
FSU.......one man show.......Bowden
Penn State....one man show.....Paterno
Miami......Very short history/competes with pro sports/lackluster fan base
Nebraska.......must recruit outside of state to be competitive
OU......same can be said
Florida.......shares state/recruiting grounds with 3 other premier programs
USC shares the city with pro sports
Alabama has less recent history than UT and nothing consistent since the Bear.

I'm tired of typing.

All the programs you listed have serious positives and a few negatives that make them part of the conversation for best gig, but I don't think any of them trumps UT as far as potential and positives.

oumartin
8/25/2007, 03:57 PM
I never said trumps UT you ********* :D

sanantoniosooner
8/25/2007, 04:04 PM
Is a winky implied?

oumartin
8/25/2007, 04:06 PM
yes ;)

XingTheRubicon
8/25/2007, 04:12 PM
X-ing,
So Barry joked once and everything else is a joke too?

The only words in that sentence that are relevant or accurate are:

So, Barry, and, is, a.

He wasn't joking. He was exaggerating.

It wasn't once. I count 3 and that was just off the top of my head.

Here's something that might help since the word exaggerating seems to be a head scratcher.

Florida State, Notre Dame, Alabama and Texas all have coaching vacancies at the same time. Bill Cowher (or equivalent) wants to coach CFB. Texas is last on that list.

That's why the last 4 coaches at UT were Mack Brown, John Mackovic, David McWilliams, and Fred Akers. Those 3 mullets before Mack were 158-85 over 20+ years. If it's the best job in the country, then why do only people that fantasically suck seem to be the only candidates willing to go. Bad luck, I guess.

Newbomb Turk
8/25/2007, 04:31 PM
That's why the last 4 coaches at UT were Mack Brown, John Mackovic, David McWilliams, and Fred Akers.

and we had Gibbs, Schnelly and John Blake.

sanantoniosooner
8/25/2007, 05:13 PM
ouch

And Mack Brown was one of the top candidates available.

His biggest weakness, IMO, is his loyalty to idiot assistants. Get good assistants and let them do their job.

XingTheRubicon
8/25/2007, 05:45 PM
and we had Gibbs, Schnelly and John Blake.

I thought of that when I typed my post, but then I remembered that no one said the OU job was better. Relevance is fun.

XingTheRubicon
8/25/2007, 05:59 PM
ouch

And Mack Brown was one of the top candidates available.

His biggest weakness, IMO, is his loyalty to idiot assistants. Get good assistants and let them do their job.

It's still not the best job in CFB. I know you want it to be so you can win the superlevelheadedsoonerfan of the off season award, but it's just simply not true.

If you averaged the experts all-time CFB programs lists, UT would be about 7 or 8. How could this be true, and UT be the best HC job in the country. Can you name ANY other example of the 8th best program historically in any sport where the same could be said for it's HC position?

As far as HC position goes..
USC is better. Notre Dame is better. FLA, FL ST. is better. Alabama is better. People that agree with you.....Texans and B.S. People that agree with UT<SC, ND, FSU, UF, UA......the rest of Earth.

sanantoniosooner
8/25/2007, 06:03 PM
pffffffffffft

There are a lot of factors you CHOOSE to ignorer simply because of your hate for puke orange.

Newbomb Turk
8/25/2007, 06:43 PM
I thought of that when I typed my post, but then I remembered that no one said the OU job was better. Relevance is fun.

I was just trying to point out that "elite" programs can have some average (and below average) coaches. Same can be said for Notre Dame and Bama before their latest hires.

XingTheRubicon
8/25/2007, 07:30 PM
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/caple/030418.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=prestigious+football+job&hl=en&rlz=1T4SNYC_en___US230&start=10&sa=N

SportingNews.com - Top 10 Most Prestigious Teams in College Football?Number 10 is a tie with Texas and Florida. Both have a recent NC trophy to show ... For a team to be considered as a "storied" and "prestigious" football ...

I can't stand these fantasy land puke orange haters....;)

OSUAggie
8/25/2007, 08:18 PM
The Texas job is arguably the best job in college football. The only school that might trump it would be USC. But Texas has more money, better facilities, and has more control of its state's recruits. Plus, Austin is a bit better than Compton.

How many AP titles a school has only matters to INTERNET message board people. If you can say you have "some", you're in good shape. Especially if you have one in the last 10 or 20 years.

A prestigious program is a prestigious program, whether or not they have 53 titles or 4. To imply Minnesota as a better program than Texas b/c of some accomplishments 50 years ago is absurd.

---------

And yes, I'm aware OSU isn't a great job, has no trophies, has a vet and ag school, etc. None of that has **** to do with what I wrote.

Octavian
8/25/2007, 08:21 PM
I think this thread has some disagreement over semantics.

From a history standpoint....UT isn't top 5. Completely agree with XTR on that. It's not even close.

From the standpoint of resources available to a football coach....UT is joined by maybe only Florida.

Public school (puts them above SC and ND).

Tons of money (puts them above Bama and OU).

Top recruiting bed (puts them automatically above everyone not in Florida or California).

Great college city in warm weather climate (puts them above any Big Ten/East Coast power).

It's amazing that OU has achieved more historical success than Texas. Can you imagine how many national titles, Heisman winners, etc. Texas would have had it not been for Oklahoma?

In all, Texas football has probably achieved less with more than any major historical program in America. I'm not speaking of the last decade....they've been excellent in last decade...it's their second golden age (but even that has only netted them one NC and one CC).

Mack runs a tremendous program. Only a blind homer would deny that. But can you imagine if Bob Stoops roamed the sidelines in Austin? Or...if Switzer's career had been at Texas instead of in opposition to it? Sick thought.

A top 5 program in a historical sense? No.

The best job in the country? Probably.

Octavian
8/25/2007, 08:25 PM
The only school that might trump it would be USC. But Texas has more money, better facilities, and has more control of its state's recruits. Plus, Austin is a bit better than Compton.

and it's not a private school. It's got a larger alumni base and carries it's state's name.

The program that most resembles the built-in advantages at Texas is Florida.

Phil
8/25/2007, 08:29 PM
I just received my current issue of Sooner Illustrated

There's no such thing as a current issue of Sooners Illustrated. You could call it the most recent issue, maybe, but it's not current.

birddog
8/25/2007, 08:48 PM
once again i agree with octavian.:rolleyes:

texas has everything a program needs to compete every season.

birddog
8/25/2007, 08:51 PM
and somewhere gdc just rolled over in his internet grave.

whup, he just rolled over again.

atleast that puts him back in position.

Prodigal
8/26/2007, 12:11 AM
If you put equal coaching staffs at every college program, Texas would win more than anyone else. The reasons are in earlier posts.

That makes it the top job in college football. That is my opinion. It is simply easier to win there than anywhere else over the long-term. That is also why it is nice to see them lose more than they should over the last 35 years.

DrZaius
8/26/2007, 12:13 AM
There's no such thing as a current issue of Sooners Illustrated. You could call it the most recent issue, maybe, but it's not current.

I see somebody else must get that as well. You are right their is no current issue just the issue that arrives, sometimes!

utex74
8/26/2007, 12:22 AM
Texas is the best job in college football and I don't think Switzer was joking. It can also be your worst nightmare. Mack was perfect. He embraced the past, got former players back into the fold, courted highschool coaches that the previous coach had alienated, brought Darrell onto the practice field with him and brought back the fans. The money, the prestige, the challenge, and it being in Austin all add plusses to the job.

If a new coach comes in and ignores all the above and tries to estsablish his own regime Texas will eat him alive. (see previous head coach)

And I think Mack would be fine elsewhere, too. We trail you guys in championships which ****es me off to no end but Mack also has the current record for consectutive 10 win seasons and I think he also has the best record over the past 10 years. I think we have a good shot at closing the gap in championships over the next few years.

And Bob Barry, Jr.? I am just getting used to him after a year and a half in OKC. He is a character that kind of grows on you. I like him.

King Crimson
8/26/2007, 12:29 AM
don't get ahead of yourself tex.

Texas doesn't have more prestige or challenge than Oklahoma, ND, USC or Bama. you may think it does, but nationally it doesn't.

before you get all warm and fuzzy about Mack, remember you were about ready to run him out of town in 04 despite the 10 game win streak, most games won, etc.

why?

utex74
8/26/2007, 12:36 AM
don't get ahead of yourself tex.

Texas doesn't have more prestige or challenge than Oklahoma, ND, USC or Bama. you may think it does, but nationally it doesn't.

before you get all warm and fuzzy about Mack, remember you were about ready to run him out of town in 04 despite the 10 game win streak, most games won, etc.

why?

I wasn't on that bandwagon but it was mostly due to losing to you guys 5 years straight. Besides all that other stuff I said a Texas HC had to do I forgot to mention that he must beat OU. No matter what else he does.

XingTheRubicon
8/26/2007, 09:12 AM
Seems to be some confusion about what "top" position means.

Top position in CFB means you have:

Tradition
Fertile recruiting area
Money/Facilities
Supportive Boosters/Fans

AND THAT THE COMBINATION OF THE 4, TRANSLATE INTO CHAMPIONSHIPS. TOP 10 FININSHES, TOP 5 FINISHES, AND NC'S.

The boosters, the same boosters before Mack that have hired 2 coaches since Dana Bible in the 30's that weren't a former Texas coach or player or both with STRONG Texas ties, DKR and John Mackovic. Why is this? Do the powers that be in Austin not want the Spurrier/Saban/Weis type personality? For football reasons, or for power reasons.

If you think Steve Spurrier or Charlie Weis is going to listen Joe Jamail, et al with the smell of faultless starch wrangler spray, explain "this is how our ol' boys is used to doin' thangs", well, think again. Even DKR admitted he was bullied by alumni.

You are your record. If the combination of your recruiting area, resources, tradition, and controlling alumni, yield the 7th best program......

Then, guess what

sanantoniosooner
8/26/2007, 02:34 PM
AND THAT THE COMBINATION OF THE 4, TRANSLATE INTO CHAMPIONSHIPS. TOP 10 FININSHES, TOP 5 FINISHES, AND NC'S.

Bullcrap

The potential of the position is different than the results based on performance.

End
Of
Story

XingTheRubicon
8/26/2007, 05:42 PM
The potential of the position is different than the results based on performance.

So the reason UT hasn't been a top 5 program over the last 100 years is?

What's the reason?

If UT is #1 in:

Tradition
Fertile recruiting area
Money/Facilities
Supportive Boosters/Fans

Then over 100 years OF RESULTS should result in being a top 5 program.

Could it possibly be that the OVERALL PACKAGE that is UT HC is possibly overrated at No. 1?

OR is it just unexplained magic

Do you know the story behind Cherry and Price? No, you have absolutely no clue as to what you're talking about. Why don't you do some light reading and learn a little.

btw, outside of mexico, there's not ONE publication/article/story in existence that agrees with you and puts UT at #1. Not one.

Before continuing your wrong cycle, just read the above sentence.

sanantoniosooner
8/26/2007, 06:01 PM
I love how people cite magazines when it's suits them and bitch about magazine articles when they don't agree with them.

Excellent tactic. If there did happen to be, and I wont look because I couldn't care less, you would dismiss it as a joke.......just like every word Barry ever said.
:rolleyes:

XingTheRubicon
8/26/2007, 06:17 PM
Nice tap out. We'll leave it at that.

sanantoniosooner
8/26/2007, 06:47 PM
Your butt was kicked by Octavian.

I've just been poking you with a stick.

snp
8/26/2007, 06:51 PM

If Texas had Bob Stoops we'd be lining up at the top of Sarkeys.

XingTheRubicon
8/26/2007, 07:07 PM
If Texas had Bob Stoops we'd be lining up at the top of Sarkeys.

If 49 other states didn't disagree, it would be a wonderful point.

Is it possible that Stoops would have had brief success and then bolted?

Not one poster has answered the question. Why is UT not a top 5 program?

Why is UT not a top 5 program?

Why is UT not a top 5 program?

Oh, yeah, why is UT not a top 5 program?

Whenever any of you are ready, I'm listening.

sanantoniosooner
8/26/2007, 07:12 PM
No.

You aren't listening.

:D

XingTheRubicon
8/26/2007, 07:33 PM
You can't answer the question can you.

It's a legitimate question.

Why is UT not a top 5 overall program?

birddog
8/26/2007, 07:41 PM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_ten_winningest_Division_1A_football_p rograms_and_their_win_totals

do what you want with this.

Newbomb Turk
8/26/2007, 07:42 PM
I think someone might be getting "best job" confused with "best program".

birddog
8/26/2007, 07:45 PM

you want me to help you out with that?:D

sanantoniosooner
8/26/2007, 08:06 PM
ding ding ding

I'm anxious for XingTheSemanticons reply :D

XingTheRubicon
8/26/2007, 08:15 PM

Octavian
8/26/2007, 08:24 PM
We trail you guys in championships which ****es me off to no end.....we have a good shot at closing the gap in championships over the next few years.

See, that's not it though. The "gap" in national championships isn't the only category that separates OU and Texas from a historical standpoint.

(we've been over this before, but it never gets old;) )

OU has:

More Bowl Wins

More Conference Championships

More Heisman Trophy Winners

More All-Americans

More National Award Winners

More Weeks Ranked #1

More Decades including a NC Team

More NC-winning coaches

The Longest Winning Streak in CFB history

UT trails OU in all of these categories -- and....in many, they trail significantly.

Texas has no shot at closing "the gap" from a historical vantage point any time soon.

Not saying that "trailing OU in historical achievements" = "being a historical doormat." If that were the case, college football would include about 115 historical doormats. And we all know that's not true.

...Oklahoma, ND, USC or Bama.

...and those are the 4. You can make a legit case for any four of these as the best of all-time....and when all-time rankings are compiled, these four are almost interchangeable depending on criteria, viewpoints, etc.

Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn St., Miami,...they're all "up there." But you can't make a solid case for any of them being #1. And that's where Texas is.

Texas is among the big big boys, no doubt. But if Texas wants to compare itself with a program that is more on its historical footing in our conference...try Nebraska. They're not on OU's historical level either.

The Texas HC job is (probably) the best in the country because they have all the resources and natural advantages a program could ask for -- prime location and endless amounts of money. It's not because their historical achievements are the best in the country...or even the best in their own conference.

As to XTR's question: Why and how has Texas not capitalized on their innate advantages to a greater extent? Why has Texas failed to achieve the level of historical success of Alabama, Southern Cal, Notre Dame, or Oklahoma?

I dunno. We should really ask them since they're the ones who haven't been able to do it. They're like the Yankees without all the hardware.

sanantoniosooner
8/26/2007, 08:24 PM
Why is UT not a top 5 overall program?Because they are gay.

It's a natural bias in sports.

If they were straight you'd have no leg to stand on.

birddog
8/26/2007, 08:29 PM
there's NO WAAY nd is a better job, btw, not with their academic standards.

i'm not sure why texas not being in the top 5 makes a head coaching job there less desirable than notre dame.

why don't you tell us what is the best job and why?

snp
8/26/2007, 08:29 PM

Because you picked an arbitrary number to bolster your argument?

sanantoniosooner
8/26/2007, 08:33 PM
Because you picked an arbitrary number to bolster your argument?Exactly
college football data warehouse lists them at 6 for all time.

Of course, I'm not sure why "all time" matters all that much. The argument, again, is about the job, not the historical results.

The density of the skull is inversely proportional to the likelihood of understanding a concept.;)

snp
8/26/2007, 08:48 PM
The density of the skull is inversely proportional to the likelihood of understanding a concept.;)

I don't get it :confused:

bluedogok
8/26/2007, 08:54 PM
The ironic thing is their two most successful coaches since Dana Bible both have OU ties.

I would say that UT, Florida and Ohio State have the most potential of any program for the reasons listed above. As we know well, bad hires can set you back for awhile. There is also a good chance that Mack would have been at OU if Watson hadn't been around at the time they were looking for a coach. To most recruits, Miami has "history and tradition", what happened 50 years ago isn't a concern to most recruits when looking at a school.

XingTheRubicon
8/26/2007, 08:57 PM
Because you picked an arbitrary number to bolster your argument?

Do you think they are top 3 historically?

Where would you rank them?

That's what I thought.

XingTheRubicon
8/26/2007, 09:42 PM
Can any of you name a NON top 5 program/franchise that is the NUMBER 1 set up for a HC to win. In the history of Earth, can you name another example?

Let's see, this is fun:

College Basketball: Louisville (barely outside the top 5) UK, UNC, etc.
yeah, that doesn't work

College Baseball: Wichita St. (same) ASU, UT, etc.
yeah, that doesn't work

wait......

I just got an answer from a former Longhorn player that posts on another site.

XingTheRubicon
8/26/2007, 09:43 PM
hold on....

snp
8/26/2007, 09:46 PM
Do you think they are top 3 historically?

Where would you rank them?

That's what I thought.

No. Do you think you can move past this point since we are not arguing this point. Their coaches have failed to live up to it's potential. Their history is checkered with mediocre coaches. We get it.

Top-10. Currently, top-5.

XingTheRubicon
8/26/2007, 09:49 PM
hold on....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAH

OSUAggie
8/26/2007, 09:59 PM
Texas isn't a top-5 program for a few reasons.

As mentioned, the lack of fortune with coaching hires is a big one.

Also, they played in the SWC for most of their existence, which allowed a larger # of other in-state schools to be on the same level as UT. Instead of locking down any recruit they wanted, they had to fight it out with the other 6 Texas schools in addition to Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Another reason would be Oklahoma. If there wasn't a monster just to the north of them, they'd have a lot more success historically. OU has simply performed better on the field than Texas (despite what the overall series record might indicate).

sanantoniosooner
8/26/2007, 10:00 PM
People have trouble distinguishing between the JOB and the PERFORMANCE.

It's getting sad really.

Even pathetic.

snp
8/26/2007, 10:08 PM
Can any of you name a NON top 5 program/franchise that is the NUMBER 1 set up for a HC to win. In the history of Earth, can you name another example?

Let's see, this is fun:

College Basketball: Louisville (barely outside the top 5) UK, UNC, etc.
yeah, that doesn't work

College Baseball: Wichita St. (same) ASU, UT, etc.
yeah, that doesn't work

wait......

I just got an answer from a former Longhorn player that posts on another site.

I'm not going to bother with that argument since it doesn't make sense. We're talking college football which has a multitude of mitigating factors. Luck being one of them. Poor coaching hires is another, which is something you've yet to address.

I've spoken with an ou coach who has said the same thing I've been saying. I'd say an ou coach has a much better grasp on this than your source.

Name a school with better talent base, resources, facilities, campus environment.

You could argue a Florida or California school for talent but they're nothing like how Texas kids revere UT.

Resources, Texas is king. And with the stadium expansions that are coming along, they're just going to distance themselves from the rest of the pack.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/04/commentary/column_sportsbiz/sportsbiz/index.htm

Campus environment, you're not getting much better than Austin. It's a helluva townr.

Texas trumps Oklahoma, Alabama, ND, and USC in all those aforementioned categories. The only place they lack is tradition because they've hired ****ty coaches. And tradition is overrated for recruits. You make tradition by winning, which is being accomplished fairly easily for a coach that this fanbase recognizes as far below ours.

XingTheRubicon
8/26/2007, 11:38 PM
I'm right.

At first I was kind of right and then careened into completely right.

Texas is NOT the #1 locale (throughout history) for winning because:

1. Administration- UT fans and alumns have forever b*tched about UT powers-that-be almost seemed to want the athletic dept to in no way overshadow the academic standing.

2. Boosters Control- Even DKR b*tched about this.

3. TV- east and west coast powers and ND STILL get more coverage than fly over country and really did back in the day.

4. Win at all cost- Even though the fans want it, the University sees it differently.

5. Austin=Disneyland- Far too many distractions (off field trouble)

6. No jucos- UT does allow juco transfers

These were some of the most common reasons why several different Texas fans claimed even though UT is ONE OF THE TOP, but not the top locale for a Head Coach.....past and present. The overall concencus was that ND and SC were the top 2.

Goodnight now.

XingTheRubicon
8/26/2007, 11:47 PM
People have trouble distinguishing between the JOB and the PERFORMANCE.

It's getting sad really.

Even pathetic.

So UT's performance has been unlucky for 120 years....

Because the job, well, you know, it's the best.........

because, well, ya know the facts about the RESULTS of this great job don't matter, because, uh well, it's just the best job. Ya know 'cause a coaches goal when he takes a CFB job is just to, you know, have everything in place, and yeah, ya know not necessarily produce results, but to you know...cause it's the best.

Fraggle145
8/27/2007, 01:26 AM
The biggest problem I have with a lot of the posts on here is recognizing Florida as a historically great program... They arent. They have 7 total SEC titles, Georgia (11), Tennessee (13), within their own conference have more and they had never won a conference or national title till until Steve Spurrier came along. However it may be the best job in the SEC and maybe one of the best in the country.

Same thing with Florida St. NOT traditionally great. They werent relevant till the 90s and have only 2 national titles. Hell in the 40s they were a girls school. However that may be one of the better jobs (if not the best) jobs in the ACC and probably the country.

Their is a separation between traditionally great and great job. although those schools that are traditionally great also tend to be great jobs. Texas or USC is probably the best JOB in the country, just from a money and facilities perspective but our TRADITION is way better and our facilities put us up there with the top programs in the country. Basically OU and Texas finally figured out what the top SEC schools and many of the other big time programs around the country have known for a long time... Big stadiums and big bucks, = big coaches and better jobs for coaches, = more wins.

ND is a crap job because they cant get the athletes, and still have entitlement issues... I dont think that their facilities have grown as well as their expectations.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/27/2007, 01:56 AM
Texas probably is the best job in college football. Just because they are Texas it doesn't make it untrue..If Easiest to Recruit= Best job, then perhaps. Otherwise, looks like Nick Saban has the best job with $4million per annum.

Fraggle145
8/27/2007, 01:57 AM
If Easiest to Recruit= Best job, then perhaps. Otherwise, looks like Nick Saban has the best job with $4million per annum.

I think that may be the first point you have ever made that I might agree with :D

KantoSooner
8/27/2007, 03:05 AM
Whichever college football coach goes undefeated this year has the best job in sports.
For at least a month or two, he'll drive around town in his chariot with a small slaveboy crouching at his feet repeating, "You are only a man. You are only a man."
After that it really depends on where you want to live.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/27/2007, 10:23 AM
I think that may be the first point you have ever made that I might agree with :DSee y'all later. I'm going to Disneyland!