PDA

View Full Version : Good thing about being in Asia for 4 weeks...

TheHumanAlphabet
8/25/2007, 07:51 AM
I get to watch Aussie rules football live and in full. A fine game without pads and all. WCE was beating up on St. Kilda.

Flagstaffsooner
8/25/2007, 07:57 AM
That is a wicked sport. When ESPN was a credible sports entity in the early 80's, I loved watching the AFL. How is Geelong doing?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/25/2007, 09:46 AM
Back in 1994 I was in Melbourne for my brother's wedding and got to see Geelong vs. St. Kilda. Very good game and atmosphere.

Don't know how Geelong is doing today, they were talking a bit about who's going to make a run at the championship cup. I didn't catch all the names they mentioned.

I too fell in love with AFL in the 80s when ESPN was looking for stuff to air. About 15 guys would gather in a house in Norman and drink beer and watch AFL - I think known as VFL in those days. They are very NFL-like today, even similar theme music.

Flagstaffsooner
8/25/2007, 10:29 AM
About 15 guys would gather in a house in Norman and drink beer and watch AFLSounds like my house in OKC in those days.

birddog
8/25/2007, 10:35 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7739142937874910211&q=australian++rules+football+referee&total=2&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

King Crimson
8/25/2007, 10:38 AM
count me in, i loved the stuff. better than poker 24/7.

magpies were the black and white striped shirt team, sort of the Dallas Cowboys of the league. ?.

Flagstaffsooner
8/25/2007, 10:43 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7739142937874910211&q=australian++rules+football+referee&total=2&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1As I remember the refs used to wear white coats and fedoras.

Chuck Bao
8/25/2007, 10:50 AM
Hey, I was fan too back in the early 80s!

I totally switched over to rugby though after a few years of watching the Hong Kong Rugby Sevens.

THA, I'm not getting that on my cable TV. I get about 10 channels of soccer. And, if it's not soccer then it's golf! Your hotel must get some regional satellite feed.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/25/2007, 09:57 PM
Hey, I was fan too back in the early 80s!

I totally switched over to rugby though after a few years of watching the Hong Kong Rugby Sevens.

THA, I'm not getting that on my cable TV. I get about 10 channels of soccer. And, if it's not soccer then it's golf! Your hotel must get some regional satellite feed.

Its on the Austrialia Channel - some sort of ABC feed, they have ABC news.

P.S. I miss the old referee uniforms where they wore long duster coats and tambershams hats (or such). The new neon color shirts are just ODD.

Chuck Bao
8/27/2007, 09:02 AM
So that's it? The Aussie Rules Football? How 'bout the women. Surely you noticed all of those cute girls who sit side saddle on the back of a motorbike taxi in a dress? Okay, I've never managed to lure one over to my bike, except one and she ended up being a he.

How 'bout the food? Surely, the Thai food in Thailand is so much better than anywhere else. If you are free for lunch sometimes this week, let me take you to a real local place. I'll get all of my office colleagues to join because they love Northeastern Thai food, which is nothing like anything you've experienced. I promise you'll love it. 10 minutes by taxi, at most.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/27/2007, 01:18 PM
I didn't mean it was the only thing... ;)

I would love to take you up on the lunch offer, however, I am chocker-block full until I leave on Thursday morning for Singapore. Perhaps when I roll into Bangkok again before the end of the year.

Oh and I've noticed the bike cuties, just after I've almost been hit by the bikes as they weave through every conceivable gap in traffic and blast through pedestrian lines...;)

soonerboomer93
8/27/2007, 09:44 PM
sometimes I can catch an rugby game (late nights on espn or star sports)

I haven't managed to catch any aussie rules football though