PDA

View Full Version : Seems like lately it's always something with me

Widescreen
8/25/2007, 01:02 AM
The fan/motor on one of our outside air compressors has started squealing and squawling terribly. I've had to turn it off to keep from irritating our neighbors although it's going to get pretty stuffy downstairs tonight.

Anyway, I'm guessing that the fan/motor just needs to be replaced. It's physically mounted and hanging on the grill. It looks like there are just a few wires running to it. Is that as easy a replacement as it looks? Also, should I be able to get a replacement fan/motor from any HVAC dealer? I'd just as soon install it myself rather than having to pay some dude to come out on the weekend and charge us after hours rates.

olevetonahill
8/25/2007, 02:04 AM
Ill do it fer gas expense and Beer ;)

SicEmBaylor
8/25/2007, 02:12 AM
Ill do it fer gas expense and Beer ;)

I had a busted radiator hose yesterday. I'm proud of myself for properly diagnosing the problem as the radiator hose (it was pretty obvious when I
opened up the hood and the thing was split open like a banana).

Anyway, I took it in to a local mechanic and it cost me $75.00 to repair.

olevetonahill
8/25/2007, 02:21 AM
I had a busted radiator hose yesterday. I'm proud of myself for properly diagnosing the problem as the radiator hose (it was pretty obvious when I

you poor pitiful bastage :eek:
75 bucks to have a dude turn 2 screws counter clock wise . then turn em back Clockwise on a 10 buck hose !:eek:

OUinFLA
8/25/2007, 07:47 AM
yet another thread about Widescreen......started by.....
Widescreen. :eek:

If you are able to match the fan motor exactly and the wires are colored the same, everyone on here but SicEm could replace it themselves. Including you.
Please be sure to turn off the circuit breaker to the unit before you open up the case.
Oh, and leave your password to SF.com with Howzit, just in case you didn't turn off the correct circuit breaker.

and could you put something in your will about sending me your telescope in the event of............well, you know, in case you discover there are actually two circuit breakers.

OUinFLA
8/25/2007, 07:49 AM

although you overpaid for the task, at least you didn't get your hands dirty, and it is progress in your life that you correctly diagnosed a mechanical problem. I'm proud of your progress.

See how much you have learned on SO?

Tiptonsooner
8/25/2007, 08:21 AM
Be sure and replace the capacitor with the motor or you will be doing it again shortly.

Mjcpr
8/25/2007, 09:27 AM
Be sure and replace the capacitor with the motor or you will be doing it again shortly.

Good advice here.

And yes, you can do it yourself.....we did it. Actually, Mrs Mjcpr did most of it. :embarassed:

Turd_Ferguson
8/25/2007, 09:37 AM
There should be a disconnect right by the condensor. Make sure you pull it, but do not rely on that alone. Find the breaker in the main breaker panel and disconnect there as well. I found out the hard way that some ya-hoo bypassed the fuses on the exterior disconnect. You can also turn the air down first, to make sure the fan won't kick on.....like my dumb *** should have done.

Widescreen
8/25/2007, 10:40 AM
Good advice, all. I think I'll give it a try. As long as I can locate the right parts.

Sounds like someone in Fla is routing for my electrical system. :mad:

OCUDad
8/25/2007, 12:38 PM
Please be careful and don't die while you're doing the repairs. If you die, there will be nobody to start Widescreen threads about Widescreen by Widescreen that interest Widescreen... and so forth.

SicEmBaylor
8/25/2007, 12:45 PM
although you overpaid for the task, at least you didn't get your hands dirty, and it is progress in your life that you correctly diagnosed a mechanical problem. I'm proud of your progress.

See how much you have learned on SO?

Yep, I gave brief consideration to trying to fix it myself actually. Several things stopped me from doing so:

1. I was scared something else may have been wrong or there were additional things that needed to be done aside from just replacing a hose.

2. I don't have any clothes that I can afford to get grease on. (I'm not kidding)

3. I'd have had to pick up the part myself and the auto parts store is way the hell away and my truck would never ever have made it over there.

The mechanic did do about an hour's worth of work though. He replaced the hose and then water to the radiator. After that though, he put this huge funnel on the top of it and had me run the engine which was already hot and started overheating (even with the hose on). So the guy takes a water hose and keeps adding more and more water and it eventually starts boiling up and splashing everywhere. So he keeps adding more and more water and eventually the engine temperature starts coming way way down and finally it was at a normal cool level. I haven't had a problem with it since.