PDA

View Full Version : Alabaster Caverns

TopDaugIn2000
8/24/2007, 10:08 PM
knock off the dirty jokes guys.

anyone ever been? located in Freedom, OK, close to the panhandle.

heading there tomorrow, ROAD TRIP!

I'll report once I get home. Hopefully they won't lose me, since I'll blend in with the surroundings so well.

TopDaugIn2000
8/24/2007, 10:10 PM
http://www.oklahomaparks.com/detail.asp?id=1%2B5U%2B920

oumartin
8/24/2007, 10:19 PM
Been there many times. Is was a guided tour when I went. I think there are areas you can go by yourself but we never did.
Used to have the scariest freakin' Halloween tours anywhere.

olevetonahill
8/24/2007, 10:24 PM
No "dirty Jokes" ? WTF
you and PG are trying to ruinate the SO

Petro-Sooner
8/24/2007, 10:48 PM
You would think as an OU geology guy we would visit it. Sorry! Its on my to do list.

Whet
8/25/2007, 11:33 AM
We went there as a geology field trip - to the upper caverns. To enter, we had to slide down a relatively small opening....

Of course, that was in the day of PK Sutherland, George G Huffman, Harvey Blatt, T2, and Charlie Harper.

rufnek05
8/25/2007, 02:00 PM
i use to live in alva, about 30 miles away. i use to hate going to that park. we made some many f'in school feild trips to that place. but it's a pretty cool park

SelmaBamaFan
8/25/2007, 02:10 PM
Hrmmm... is it worth seeing for an out of towner? And how far of a ride is it from OKC?

rufnek05
8/25/2007, 02:16 PM
Hrmmm... is it worth seeing for an out of towner? And how far of a ride is it from OKC?

from OKC its about 2 and a half hours. unless your big into geology and that kind of stuff, i don't think its worth the trip just to go see that, but if your up around that area any way, its well worth a detour to make the stop.

Soonrboy
8/25/2007, 02:17 PM
Bleh...

oumartin
8/25/2007, 02:18 PM
yeah its worth the trip. you can come hang with me :D

SelmaBamaFan
8/25/2007, 02:19 PM
oh lawd!

rufnek05
8/25/2007, 02:22 PM
if your going to go, wait and go the weekend after easter, Snake Hunt weekend. in the town of waynoka (pop. around 1000), about 15,000 people show up to ride the dunes and play with snakes. its quite an experience. but don't be out at night unless you know what you are doing. thats when the bad **** happens.

King Crimson
8/25/2007, 02:23 PM
for 2 and half hours out, i'd go to Mt. Scott. pretty good hike and a payoff view.

http://www.emporia.edu/socanth/images/BradAndersonMelissaBruceAnthonyWestbyandJesseColso ntakeintheviewsfromatopMt_001.jpg

rufnek05
8/25/2007, 02:32 PM
is that down in the washataw mts?

King Crimson
8/25/2007, 02:36 PM
near Lawton, Wichitittay Mtns.

rufnek05
8/25/2007, 02:42 PM
i think i went to a ropes course and camp out with my church in like 7 or 8th grade, is that the place that has the "40 foot hole" and it looks like a vajayjay is in the side of a ravine.

oumartin
8/25/2007, 02:49 PM
Selma, People think I am actually pretty OK once they meet me! :D

TopDaugIn2000
8/25/2007, 08:04 PM
had a good time. we left Norman about 8:30, stopped for lunch at a place called "cafe" (original, huh) in Mooreland. Then headed to the caverns. Took the tour, it was interesting. The temperature drop going down into the caverns was really shocking. The temp outside wasn't too bad either though, so we went hiking a little. After the caverns we headed back to Mooreland and stopped at "Boiling Springs" state park. One spring sighting, a hike, some deer grazing, and we were on our way. Went over to Woodford and found a DQ (WOOHOO!) and got a treat. Once we got back into OKC we hit the Korean place again for Bulgogi. Just got home. Tired. Good trip though.

The bad part of the trip: our tour guide wore texass croc flip flops. :mad:

Newbomb Turk
8/25/2007, 08:07 PM

did you give him/her the whorns down sign?

so for a day trip from the OKC area, do you recommend it?

Flagstaffsooner
8/25/2007, 08:16 PM
If you are ever out my way check this out.
http://www.whitethornhouse.com/lavariver.htm

TopDaugIn2000
8/25/2007, 10:48 PM
did you give him/her the whorns down sign?

so for a day trip from the OKC area, do you recommend it?

ehh, she was too stupid for words.

and yeah, it was a nice day trip. if you go in the winter you will see more bats, we only saw one today.

oumartin
8/25/2007, 10:54 PM
Did you see my name carved into the railing at the "boiling spring" ?
Its pretty dissapointing isn't it. It used to really boil good.
However, the golf course at Boiling Springs is aweseome

The Cafe in Mooreland is Blah! There is a great mexican restaurant right by Alabaster caverns

rufnek05
8/26/2007, 03:25 AM
There is a great mexican restaurant right by Alabaster caverns

are you talking about "the Stables"? as of 3 months ago that was a steak house, not a mexican restaurant.

oumartin
8/26/2007, 06:47 AM
could be now I suppose. been a few years since I had been there.

Sooner24
8/26/2007, 07:05 AM
had a good time. we left Norman about 8:30, stopped for lunch at a place called "cafe" (original, huh) in Mooreland. Then headed to the caverns. Took the tour, it was interesting. The temperature drop going down into the caverns was really shocking. The temp outside wasn't too bad either though, so we went hiking a little. After the caverns we headed back to Mooreland and stopped at "Boiling Springs" state park. One spring sighting, a hike, some deer grazing, and we were on our way. Went over to Woodford and found a DQ (WOOHOO!) and got a treat. Once we got back into OKC we hit the Korean place again for Bulgogi. Just got home. Tired. Good trip though.

Since you were so close you should have gone over and dug for selenite crystals in the Great Salt Plains Lake.

OUWxGuesser
8/26/2007, 10:10 AM
My list of places one should visit in OK:
Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge
Great Salt Plains
Glass(Gloss) Mountains and the Little Sahara
Alabaster Caverns (this and the above two could be easily combined into a weekend trip... one could do the salt plains and the glass mountains in one day easily)

Greenleaf State Park
Beaver's Bend State Park
Black Mesa

King Crimson
8/26/2007, 10:12 AM
Beaver's Bend is great. my mom likes to go to the Wichita Wildlife Preserve.

jdsooner
8/26/2007, 10:46 AM
Robber's Cave. Eat at Krebs before you make the drive to Wilburton.

TopDaugIn2000
8/26/2007, 11:34 AM
Since you were so close you should have gone over and dug for selenite crystals in the Great Salt Plains Lake.

can't, it's closed right now. something about mustard gas being found there so it's under "clean up"

Sooner24
8/26/2007, 01:05 PM
Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

rufnek05
8/26/2007, 02:01 PM
yeah its going to be closed for at least 6 month. last spring some boy scout found around 20 viles, some of which were broken. they ended up containing mustard gas and tear gas. salt plained use to be used a a bomber training ground. i remember going out there and finding some .50 cal bullets and a shell or two. pretty crazy.

StoopTroup
8/26/2007, 02:09 PM
That's a long way to drive from Tulsa just for some Freedom.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/9/9a/OKMap-doton-Freedom.PNG

Take some pics...

Lets see if it's worth it.

TIA :)

oumartin
8/26/2007, 02:11 PM
Yeah, the boy scouts found some stuff up at the Great Salt plains. Glass(gloss) mountains are a joke.
if you wanna know a little gem in the state to go visit go visit Osage Hills 10 miles West of Bartlesville. Waterfalls, Beautiful scenery out the wazoo