PDA

View Full Version : No more D-1A and D-1AA

Flagstaffsooner
8/24/2007, 12:05 PM
I didn't know this.
http://www.azdailysun.com/articles/2007/08/24/news/sports/20070824_sports_49.txt

NAU no longer I-AA, now FCS program

By CHRIS GABEL
Sun Sports Staff
Friday, August 24, 2007

What's in a name? According to the NCAA, enough to warrant a change in the labeling of its top two football subdivisions.

Gone are Division I-A and Division I-AA. In their place are Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision, the names referring to their respective postseason formats. Schools in both subdivisions remain Division I.

Acknowledging frustration that the previous classifications often branded an entire university as big-time or non-big-time -- NAU cannot compete against Southern California or Florida in the football postseason, but its can in basketball -- the association's Division I Board of Directors moved last August to rename the subdivisions. While the new nomenclatures officially went into effect in December, the upcoming season is when they will hit the mainstream.

"It's a great thing for our entire programs," Big Sky Conference commissioner Doug Fullerton said. "The problem with I-AA as a label was that it was not football specific. It was too easy to begin to label all of our programs I-AA, when they were not."

Only the names will change. Individual school affiliations, postseason formats, scholarship guidelines and other divisional specifics will remain the same. The major difference between FBS and FCS programs is the number of scholarships each can offer.

Widescreen
8/24/2007, 12:13 PM
So the main difference is that I-AA will continue to have a real champion and I-A will continue to have a fake one. Got it.

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2007, 12:22 PM
So the main difference is that I-AA will continue to have a real champion and I-A will continue to have a fake one. Got it.
But that's what makes it so special.

Bowl system>Playoff

Widescreen
8/24/2007, 12:25 PM
You forgot the winkie.

mxATVracer10
8/24/2007, 01:01 PM
I noticed this on NCAA '08 but didnt know what was going on. Thanks for clearing that up! :D

royalfan5
8/24/2007, 01:02 PM

Bowl system>Playoff
Like it matters to a Baylor fan anyway.

Seamus
8/24/2007, 01:10 PM
Like it matters to a Baylor fan anyway.

PWN3D!

;)

Scott D
8/24/2007, 01:43 PM
They started calling them those back during the bowl season last year.

colleyvillesooner
8/24/2007, 02:01 PM
Dodd mentioned this in his column not too long ago:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10313220

18. FBSucks

Please join me in an honorable and noble quest. Defy the NCAA. It is still trying to ram down our throats that Division I-A has been renamed the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS).

It will now and always be I-A in this space, if only because the change was made because the I-AAs were upset at the "image" being portrayed. So now the Nicholls States of the world are in the Football Championship Subdivision.

As if that's going to be the marketing cure for I-AA drawing an average of 8,916 per game. I spit in your general direction, politically correctors.

I-AA was created by the NCAA in the 1970s as a way of promoting the small schools. At the time, they were even promised more television coverage. So don't ask us, NCAA, to clean up your mess with a sanitized, corporate label for second-tier football.

Using the current logic, humans are Carbon-Based Life Forms; janitors are Sanitation Engineers and that teenager pouring you coffee at the local Starbucks with a ring in her lip is a Caffeine Facilitator.

Can't wait until the oblong, leather object is propelled into the atmosphere marking the first contest of the season.

"Are ya ready for some football?" sounds so much better.

stoopified
8/24/2007, 04:09 PM

Bowl system<Playoff system

Fixed

David Earl
8/24/2007, 04:45 PM
So how much will this affect OSU?

Flagstaffsooner
8/24/2007, 04:50 PM
So how much will this affect OSU?They'll still lose.

SteelClip49
8/24/2007, 05:14 PM
NCAA is always trying to change ctuff and yet they are changing the names which makes it more difficult. Sorry Myles Brand....it will always be 1A and 1AA.