PDA

View Full Version : Can Baylor ever achieve football respectability?

Jacie
8/24/2007, 11:07 AM
Looking at CFN's Big XII position rankings, the most consistent school is Baylor. Except for linebackers, the Bears are ranked at or next to the bottom of the pile, 11 or 12 at every position. No other school comes close to this homogeniety. And what it means for the Bears, if the people who do these evaluations know half of what they think they do, is that they are going to be bad, very bad. Looking at their schedule, 3-9 would be a great year.

Why must it be this way, year in and year out, for the hapless Bears? They are in Texas (granted it's Waco but still) the recruiting mecca of every D-1 program not located in California and Florida. With scholarship limits in place, you'd think they could load up on the still-really-good players coming out of Texas highschool football not taken by the likes of saxet, Oklahoma, aTm, TCU, aggie lite, LSwho? and so on. Or is the problem with the coaching?

Grant Teaff used to keep em respectable in Waco, even won the Southworst Conference and took his Bears to the Cotton Bowl when everyone in Texas still thought that was cool. Supposedly Guy Morriss is a good coach, a real X's and O's kinda coach who can also motivate kids to play over their heads (a skill every Baylor player must have if winning is an option). So what's the problem in Waco? Some say he took a step backwards trying to copy Mike Leach. It didn't work.

The Bears need to do what Mike Leach has done for the sand aggies, not copy his scheme, but come up with a different look on offense, one that no team sees 5 or 6 times or even once or twice a season. I think Guy should go to the offense invented by Emory Bellard, used effectively by the whorns and taken to it's ultimate form by Barry Switzer . . . the wishbone.

How many schools can you name, other than Air Force, that run it (does Air Force still run the 'bone?)? From a recruiting angle it would give Morriss an edge in Texas, where a lot of highschools still run the bone or a variation of it. Small, quick QB's are easier to find and recruit than the current preferred body style, the big, athletic, rifle-for-an-arm type that every major program goes for nowadays. The RB's don't have to be big bruisers and even the linemen can be undersized if they have speed. If Morriss can put in a ball control offense that the other Big XII teams don't see every week, he will effectively bring scores down and take some pressure off his overworked defense, both of which work in favor of the Bears.

As used to losing as the fans in Waco have come to be, even they want to see improvement and that is what they won't get from Guy Morriss this season. It's not too late for him to turn things around, even with 2007 about to kickoff. The Bears are going to get drubbed anyway, so why not build for the future with something old that is new again instead of climbing too late onto the spread offense bandwagon? It would beat being the K-State of the Big XII South.

OUmillenium
8/24/2007, 11:14 AM
If Guy were this smart, there wouldn't be "problems in Waco."

soonerinabilene
8/24/2007, 11:15 AM
Im not old enough to know just how bad kstate was before Bill Snyder, only what I have read. But I imagine it would take a rebuilding effort 10x more remarkable than what he did to accomplish anything at Baylor. I think hs kids view Baylor like they do Rice. If you are more inclined to academics than you are football, and you are decent at the sport, they are the school for you.

King Crimson
8/24/2007, 11:15 AM
i wonder if Morriss' chance to get over the hump (bowl eligible) passed him by two years ago. they lose a few heartbreakers in a row--at ATM in OT, at Owen Field in OT....and then sort of fizzle out.

last year the QB (Bell?) gets hurt and they tank.

they do have a 2 game winning streak against CU with the 3rd on the line in Waco this year.

snp
8/24/2007, 11:28 AM
They have the exact offense as Tech, just without as skilled players. Give GuyMo some more time and he'll start consistently beating up on the north.

The wishbone is dead. No team could ever be successful using it in this day which is a travesty. Air Force also lost their coach so they won't be runnig it anymore. Navy still employs the 'Bone.

The Maestro
8/24/2007, 12:03 PM
That was a long write up on Baylor. Let me condense it for you.

No.

illinisooner
8/24/2007, 12:04 PM
Switzer said that the option could still work today, given the right players. Not sure about a true wishbone, but he said a triple option out of the I would still work. Unfortunately, we'll never find out, because a program that can recruit the best athletes won't exclusively run option. It's a shame, option football is one of the things that puts college ball on top of the NFL, IMO.

The Maestro
8/24/2007, 12:07 PM
Switzer said that the option could still work today, given the right players. Not sure about a true wishbone, but he said a triple option out of the I would still work. Unfortunately, we'll never find out, because a program that can recruit the best athletes won't exclusively run option. It's a shame, option football is one of the things that puts college ball on top of the NFL, IMO.

Agreed. But today's players all think they are headed to the NFL so they want to run an offense that prepares them for it. I can't blame them...hard to become an NFL offensive lineman if you never learn to pass block much.

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2007, 12:23 PM
I haven't read this thread yet, but I'm going to reply after my next class when I get home.

I've got my neg speker ready so let that be a warning to the lot of you.

fwsooner22
8/24/2007, 12:30 PM
Baylor = Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Sports are not enough of a priority.....which is fine many of my kids friends are there and they love it.....they are also fine people......they can walk their campus at 2:00 AM and not worry about a thing.....that being said....it should have been TCU in the Big 12, but that is old news...........

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2007, 01:03 PM
Baylor = Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Sports are not enough of a priority.....which is fine many of my kids friends are there and they love it.....they are also fine people......they can walk their campus at 2:00 AM and not worry about a thing.....that being said....it should have been TCU in the Big 12, but that is old news...........

Really? TCU over us eha? If I'm not mistaken, we have had more national championships than TCU since joining the Big XII and football aside we're really not all that bad at sports. Basketball has had its trouble but we have more potential there to compete I think than football.

At any rate, certainly comparing TCU to Baylor at the time that the Big XII was formed couldn't lead anyone to determine that they were a better choice than us...at the time.

The only team in the area that should be in the Big XII over us is Arkansas. I would be perfectly fine being replaced by Arkansas, but TCU? Please.

And if you think you can walk safely around campus at 2am then you've obviously never tried it! ;)

TexasLidig8r
8/24/2007, 01:04 PM
Commitment to the program is what is lacking at "We Don't Have Sex Standing Up" U.

The school gets a huge chunk of change from the Big XII teevee contracts and bowl game revenue, plus when Texas, aggy, you guys roll into Waco, that means sold out stadium.

This means, what they don't have to do is shell out big bucks for a "name" football coach. You think Mike Leach wouldn't have turned that program around? Any of the other up and coming young coaches? But, the school won't pay the price to bring in a top notch coach/recruiter.

As such you are left with.. Mediocrity. Thy Name is Baylor.

royalfan5
8/24/2007, 01:08 PM
If Wake Forest can win some football games, so can Baylor. But it will take an innovative coach to do it. Baylor needs to find it's own Mike Leach or Jim Grobe. Trying to imitate an innovator isn't going to get them anywhere, they have to be the innovator.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/24/2007, 01:14 PM
Basketball has had its trouble

Yeah... and Oklahoma has had a little rain this summer...

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2007, 01:20 PM
Why must it be this way, year in and year out, for the hapless Bears? They are in Texas (granted it's Waco but still) the recruiting mecca of every D-1 program not located in California and Florida. With scholarship limits in place, you'd think they could load up on the still-really-good players coming out of Texas highschool football not taken by the likes of saxet, Oklahoma, aTm, TCU, aggie lite, LSwho? and so on. Or is the problem with the coaching?

The problem has somewhat to do with the fact that we're automatically at a severe recruiting dis-advantage being within a couple of hours of both UT and aTm and not much further from Tech and OU. Having said that, Baylor has competed well in the past with good coaching at a level where we could at least keep up with those schools. We certainly never dominated or had a dynasty of our own, but year in and year out we competed well for some time.

The answer to your question is a combination of many many factors. The majority of the blame can be placed squarely on Baylor's Board of Regents to former President Robert Sloan. EVERY decision they made upon joining the Big XII was exactly the wrong decision and increasingly crippled our ability to compete. For way the hell too long, Baylor approached football as a sort of church revival meeting which doesn't exactly make for check marks in the win column. Now, a perfect example of their poor decision making was with the coaches. For example, Reed wasn't that bad a coach but the school was used to Teaff wins (after essentially firing Teaff) and fired the guy after just a year or two. This theme of pulling the rug out from a coach after just a couple of years was echoed throughout the 1990s.

Enter Kevin Steele....
Putting Kevin Steele at the healm of the Baylor football program is something akin to taking a homeless bum off the street and asking him to run a nuclear reactor. The result was absolute total meltdown. Never in my life have I seen a coach as bad as that. Now, there are some people around here (the corn suckers) who will swear by Kevin Steele. They didn't have to sit through 3-4 years of Kevin Steele as a head football coach and watch him day and and day out attempt to run a football a team. Incompetency is being very very kind. Now, who the hell wants to go play for a clown like that?

At the end of his reign, we honest to God had alumni buying planes with those messages on the back flying over the stadium that said, "Fire Stanton and Steele." An atmosphere like that doesn't exactly make recruits comfortable.

Baylor does have some unique things to offer to an athlete, but we've never capitalized on those things and have consistently been our worst enemy. You combine that with the fact that Baylor fans are the most irritable and disagreeable people you'll ever meet and you have a football culture that isn't inviting to the athlete or the potential kid out there whose heart and mind we need to be winning for the future.

Grant Teaff used to keep em respectable in Waco, even won the Southworst Conference and took his Bears to the Cotton Bowl when everyone in Texas still thought that was cool. Supposedly Guy Morriss is a good coach, a real X's and O's kinda coach who can also motivate kids to play over their heads (a skill every Baylor player must have if winning is an option). So what's the problem in Waco? Some say he took a step backwards trying to copy Mike Leach. It didn't work.

In general, I agree with you. I never liked the idea of switching to the Tech offense but it wasn't all that disastrous. There was still a better chance than not of going to a bowl before Bell got injured. The Tech offense really did play to his strength. The problem is that after he got injured the team was without leadership and without the personnel to execute the offense.

The Bears need to do what Mike Leach has done for the sand aggies, not copy his scheme, but come up with a different look on offense, one that no team sees 5 or 6 times or even once or twice a season. I think Guy should go to the offense invented by Emory Bellard, used effectively by the whorns and taken to it's ultimate form by Barry Switzer . . . the wishbone.

I agree. The excuse is that he helped develop the offense with Mumme and Leach and he knew it better than any other system.

How many schools can you name, other than Air Force, that run it (does Air Force still run the 'bone?)? From a recruiting angle it would give Morriss an edge in Texas, where a lot of highschools still run the bone or a variation of it. Small, quick QB's are easier to find and recruit than the current preferred body style, the big, athletic, rifle-for-an-arm type that every major program goes for nowadays. The RB's don't have to be big bruisers and even the linemen can be undersized if they have speed. If Morriss can put in a ball control offense that the other Big XII teams don't see every week, he will effectively bring scores down and take some pressure off his overworked defense, both of which work in favor of the Bears.

I want to say the University of Houston or Rice runs a variant of the bone.

As used to losing as the fans in Waco have come to be, even they want to see improvement and that is what they won't get from Guy Morriss this season. It's not too late for him to turn things around, even with 2007 about to kickoff. The Bears are going to get drubbed anyway, so why not build for the future with something old that is new again instead of climbing too late onto the spread offense bandwagon? It would beat being the K-State of the Big XII South.

Instability is what we don't need right now. Morriss has done wonders to turn the team around but mostly on fundamentals. On actual game plans and schemes we're still pretty lacking. Some of that has to be a lack of quality players, but on the other hand a good coach knows how to play with his player's strengths. I'm pretty torn on whether he needs to be fired. I was a huge supporter of his, but at some point we need to see good tangible results. I'm willing to give him this year and possibly next year depending on how this season turns out, but after that we need to be consistently producing or he should be replaced. Stability is good but not with someone who simply can't win.

On another note, I appreciate your comments. Spek for you.

The_Red_Patriot
8/24/2007, 01:20 PM
I should neg you for your support of Fred Thompson.

RON PAUL 08

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2007, 01:22 PM
If Wake Forest can win some football games, so can Baylor. But it will take an innovative coach to do it. Baylor needs to find it's own Mike Leach or Jim Grobe. Trying to imitate an innovator isn't going to get them anywhere, they have to be the innovator.
Heh, Jim Grobe was our 2nd choice behind Morriss when we hired him.

:sigh:

Seamus
8/24/2007, 01:29 PM

No.

Best post I've seen in weeks!
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif

Seamus
8/24/2007, 01:30 PM
"We Don't Have Sex Standing Up" U.

What in the name of Tera Patrick does that mean?

IndianJack
8/24/2007, 01:33 PM
Is this a rhetorical question, or...

Is there a punch line coming?

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2007, 01:34 PM
Best post I've seen in weeks!
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif

budbarrybob
8/24/2007, 01:35 PM
no...

OSUAggie
8/24/2007, 01:55 PM
Depends on what you mean by respectability...

Can they go to bowl games on a consistent basis? Probably not.

Can they make it to a bowl game a time or two every decade or so? Sure.

But some things have to happen in their favor that are beyond their control. Like, A&M, Tech and OSU have to fall down again. It wouldn't hurt them if OU and Texas weren't quite as invincible as they currently are (which will only have a remote chance of happening when Mack and Stoops are gone).

It appears that OU and Texas will remain at the highest level for at least the remainder of the careers of their respective coaches. Arguing against that is somewhat idiotic.

Tech has proved to be pretty stable throughout its existence in the Big XII.

OSU has been to a bowl game 4 out of the past 5 years, and appears to be somewhat stable. I think the odds of OSU achieving more success are better than OSU falling back to 1990s-style results.

You figure A&M will be stable, but they've been kind of erratic since RC's latter years, and that might be putting it mildly.

So, basically, a 2005-type season must occur for Baylor to break through to a bowl game, except they will have to capitalize on the opportunities they are afforded in a good way, and what not.

And, SicEm, Rice scrapped the 'bone when Hatfield's tenure ended.

I think Charlie Weatherbie might be running it in Monroe, but they've had marginal success in a pathetic league.

TexasLidig8r
8/24/2007, 02:01 PM
What in the name of Tera Patrick does that mean?

It might lead to dancing. :D

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2007, 02:01 PM
Depends on what you mean by respectability...

Can they go to bowl games on a consistent basis? Probably not.

Can they make it to a bowl game a time or two every decade or so? Sure.

But some things have to happen in their favor that are beyond their control. Like, A&M, Tech and OSU have to fall down again. It wouldn't hurt them if OU and Texas weren't quite as invincible as they currently are (which will only have a remote chance of happening when Mack and Stoops are gone).

It appears that OU and Texas will remain at the highest level for at least the remainder of the careers of their respective coaches. Arguing against that is somewhat idiotic.

Tech has proved to be pretty stable throughout its existence in the Big XII.

OSU has been to a bowl game 4 out of the past 5 years, and appears to be somewhat stable. I think the odds of OSU achieving more success are better than OSU falling back to 1990s-style results.

You figure A&M will be stable, but they've been kind of erratic since RC's latter years, and that might be putting it mildly.

So, basically, a 2005-type season must occur for Baylor to break through to a bowl game, except they will have to capitalize on the opportunities they are afforded in a good way, and what not.

And, SicEm, Rice scrapped the 'bone when Hatfield's tenure ended.

I think Charlie Weatherbie might be running it in Monroe, but they've had marginal success in a pathetic league.

Oh God, here we go....
You know things are up ****'s creek when a damned Okie Aggie takes stock of your trials and trivilations. It's like being lectured on tooth decay by a Brit.

OSUAggie
8/24/2007, 02:27 PM
Oh God, here we go....
You know things are up ****'s creek when a damned Okie Aggie takes stock of your trials and trivilations. It's like being lectured on tooth decay by a Brit.

What the ****'s a trivilation?

Why don't you go ahead and lay it out how Baylor has a chance to have a sustained movement up the Big XII South pecking order?

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2007, 02:32 PM
What the ****'s a trivilation?

Why don't you go ahead and lay it out how Baylor has a chance to have a sustained movement up the Big XII South pecking order?

Well, take all those problems I described above and assume the opposite. Better yet, you should ask Baylor's admin. answer that question. Tell them to take whatever it is that they want to do with the athletic program and do the total opposite.

Tear Down This Wall
8/24/2007, 02:43 PM
There really was little difference between Baylor and TCU when the SWC failed. What allowed TCU to rise above and start winning is that they were forced into a conference where they could compete. The Horned Frogs have made a couple of moves since then, but always in conferences where they could compete.

Baylor cannot complete in the Big 12. It's not a matter of there being enough talent in Texas or hiring the right guy. It's just that there are too many other programs in the Big 12 that were powerhouses before the league formed.

Also, being in a BCS conference, the pressure for Baylor to win is just non-existent. Win, lose, or draw, they get paychecks from the other Big 12 schools going to bowls. Unlike the advice in Animal House given to Flounder, in the BCS conferences, smaller schools can be fat, drunk, and stupid and make it in life. Everyone else does the pulling.

If Baylor truly wanted to compete in football, they'd jump to a conference where they were on equal footing with the other schools. Conference USA, the Sun Belt, etc.

But, why? If you can lose year after year and still gain BCS paychecks, who cares?

KRYPTON
8/24/2007, 02:48 PM
Baylor does have a very nice stadium, indicating that its administration is serious about football - nearly as serious as Grapevine ISD, which has an even nicer stadium.

Tear Down This Wall
8/24/2007, 02:51 PM
Baylor does have a very nice stadium, indicating that its administration is serious about football - nearly as serious as Grapevine ISD, which has an even nicer stadium.

It's actually got a nicer stadium than TCU. But, they'll never fill it because people don't generally come out to see the home team get pummeled.

Seriously, it ain't gonna happen for them in the Big 12. If the BCS ever folded, Baylor should seek out a place where they could rise, like TCU has done.

Winning makes people interested. And such.

OSUAggie
8/24/2007, 02:55 PM
Well, take all those problems I described above and assume the opposite. Better yet, you should ask Baylor's admin. answer that question. Tell them to take whatever it is that they want to do with the athletic program and do the total opposite.

Assume the opposite based on your 10-paragraph diatribe riddled with innate specificity? The only thing you touched on with any hint of detail was the poor coaching hire(s):

"Now, a perfect example of their poor decision making was with the coaches."

OK.. I think it's well recognized that Grant Teaff is Baylor football over the past 50 years. During his tenure, he was interviewing for jobs all over the country. He even wanted the probation-riddled OSU job, but finished 2nd.

If a coach is able to have a period of success at Baylor (and by period, I mean 1 year), he'll be one of the hottest coaches in the country. You won't be able to keep him.

Nobody wants to coach at a place that is clearly the 6th best program in a 6-team division. The only way a coach will stay at Baylor for an extended period of time will be if the coach is able to convince the administration that he is, in fact, God (despite his years of sub-.500 records), or if he's a Baylor alum. Why else would anybody want to stay, the pretty posters on the outside of the stadium?

The Maestro
8/24/2007, 02:59 PM
Wow. This thread has a second page? We need football to hurry up. Baylor football should never get a second page.

IndianJack
8/24/2007, 03:09 PM
Grant Teaff, Mike Singeltary and David Koresh walk into a bar...

GrapevineSooner
8/24/2007, 03:09 PM

And then there's Southlake serious. ;)

badger
8/24/2007, 03:22 PM
neg speker empty threat blah blah blah

Just believe in yourself and you can achieve great things, like beating a conference opponent! :D:D
fun pro-bear video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai-tL-SJ6aI)

Just remember the great days... the day you almost beat us, but at least caused the worst postgame traffic Norman's seen in many-a-year. The day your fans booed Baylor fans for leaving the field too early:
video entitled "baylor idiots" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8OvIk0Ll_4&mode=related&search=)

And should times ever get tough, at least you have a mascot to watch instead of the game:
go bouncy bear go (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7NTsp-dFbw)

Da bears. Da-feat! :D

stoopified
8/24/2007, 04:04 PM
They were avery solid team under Grant Teaff ,so to answer your question,yes I think they can RETURN to respectability in football.

Boarder
8/24/2007, 04:20 PM
Im not old enough to know just how bad kstate was before Bill Snyder, only what I have read. But I imagine it would take a rebuilding effort 10x more remarkable than what he did to accomplish anything at Baylor. I think hs kids view Baylor like they do Rice. If you are more inclined to academics than you are football, and you are decent at the sport, they are the school for you.
I remember. What Snyder did was a miracle of Biblical quality. Baylor, as bad as they are now, can't hold a candle to KSU's suckage.

Boarder
8/24/2007, 04:25 PM
Just believe in yourself and you can achieve great things, like beating a conference opponent! :D:D
fun pro-bear video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai-tL-SJ6aI)

Just remember the great days... the day you almost beat us, but at least caused the worst postgame traffic Norman's seen in many-a-year. The day your fans booed Baylor fans for leaving the field too early:
video entitled "baylor idiots" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8OvIk0Ll_4&mode=related&search=)

And should times ever get tough, at least you have a mascot to watch instead of the game:
go bouncy bear go (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7NTsp-dFbw)

Da bears. Da-feat! :D
On a much funnier note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXRJPun9xtk

TexasLidig8r
8/24/2007, 04:53 PM
On a much funnier note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXRJPun9xtk

ah.. from the 1997 Texas Tear Down the Goalpost Tour.

The very essence of a pyrrhic victory. The last straw that escorted Mackovic out the door and brought in Mack Brown. Since that time, Texas is 9 - 0 against those loveable Bears winning by an average score of 51 - 10 and which includes....4 shutouts.

cvsooner
8/24/2007, 05:03 PM
They were avery solid team under Grant Teaff ,so to answer your question,yes I think they can RETURN to respectability in football.

Oh, man, yeah. OU struggled to beat them in 1974 28-11, in a game that was a LOT closer than the score indicated. And that was, ahem, a national championship team, no less. Switzer was repeatedly asked afterwards why OU struggled so..."because Baylor is a great football team. You wait and see."

Baylor went something like 10-2 and went to the Cotton Bowl.

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2007, 05:04 PM
Oh, man, yeah. OU struggled to beat them in 1974 28-11, in a game that was a LOT closer than the score indicated. And that was, ahem, a national championship team, no less. Switzer was repeatedly asked afterwards why OU struggled so..."because Baylor is a great football team. You wait and see."

Baylor went something like 10-2 and went to the Cotton Bowl.

Technically, you struggled to beat us in 2005 as well.

Spek to you my friend.

cvsooner
8/24/2007, 05:04 PM
I remember. What Snyder did was a miracle of Biblical quality. Baylor, as bad as they are now, can't hold a candle to KSU's suckage.

Yeah, they weren't called the Mildcats for nothin'...I remember a game that finished 75-28 and it wasn't as close as that indicates. K-State was just bad, lousy bad. Kansas U. consistently had the better team and that wasn't saying much.

okcusooner
8/24/2007, 05:21 PM

No.

I disagree.

Had you told me in 1987 that K-State would still have a D-1 program, let alone a legitimate shot at a national title at the turn of the century, I would have told you to put down the crack pipe.

Baylor is currently no worse now, than K-State was back then.

cvsooner
8/24/2007, 06:01 PM
Technically, you struggled to beat us in 2005 as well.

Spek to you my friend.

Weren't no technically about it, either game. We struggled. And it wasn't from poor play on our part....unlike, say, the game we lost to Kansas in 1975. Ouch.

badger
8/24/2007, 07:20 PM
it's been a long offseason if we're ragging on baylor :D

Octavian
8/24/2007, 07:22 PM
seriously, who rags on Baylor?

Personally, I love Baylor. They've never given OU any reason to dislike them whatsoever.

I wish we had 10 more just like 'em. ;)

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2007, 07:40 PM
seriously, who rags on Baylor?

Personally, I love Baylor. They've never given OU any reason to dislike them whatsoever.

I wish we had 10 more just like 'em. ;)

Now, that's the right attitude I think. Unless you're an TexasAggie then I can't see any reason why anyone should hate Baylor.

MichiganSooner
8/24/2007, 08:42 PM
Can Baylor achieve respectability? Of course. They almost got it started taking Sooners to OT a couple years ago.

Look at Northwestern. For years at the bottom of the Big 10 and out of nowhere won the championship.

A bigger example is Virginia Tech. Once again out of nowhere became a national power.

And of course, the biggest example is K-State. Absolutely the greatest turnaround in college athletics was K-State football under Bill Snyder.

How does Baylor get it done? No idea. They don't pay me the big bucks to figure it out because I can't. But somebody will.

Soonerfan88
8/24/2007, 08:50 PM
Overall, Baylor is much better for the conference than Colorado. At least they have won a NC in WBB & Tennis and have a nationally recognized track program which regularly fields Olympic athletes. If nothing else, they give our team a breather during a long season with only one week off. :D

Other than football during the Neuheisel era (which bled into Barnett's first couple of years), the Buffs are only good at Cross Country and bad at everything else. And they don't even participate in baseball/softball, wrestling, or gymnastics.

Oh, except for their perennial NC contending Ski Team which brings so much $$ and prestige to the conference. :rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2007, 09:00 PM
Can Baylor achieve respectability? Of course. They almost got it started taking Sooners to OT a couple years ago.

Look at Northwestern. For years at the bottom of the Big 10 and out of nowhere won the championship.

A bigger example is Virginia Tech. Once again out of nowhere became a national power.

And of course, the biggest example is K-State. Absolutely the greatest turnaround in college athletics was K-State football under Bill Snyder.

How does Baylor get it done? No idea. They don't pay me the big bucks to figure it out because I can't. But somebody will.

I believe that's the essence of our problem. The current BoR is unwilling to shell out the big bucks for someone to solve the problem.

Seamus
8/24/2007, 10:20 PM
Oh God, here we go....

OK, there's a new "best post I've seen in weeks".

(just trolling for some of that Baylor spek ;) )

Jacie
8/25/2007, 08:51 AM
OK, I have watched my little thread meander from Baylor to K-State and back. Since the Bears of today are being compared to the Cats of the 80's. Someone mentioned that 75-28 game. That was fun for Sooners though no one brought up the game that precipitated that rout. The year before the Wildcats were good, QB'd by eventual pro Lynn Dickey. Good enough to lay a licking on the Steve Owens-led Sooners to the tune of 59-21. So the next year was a payback of sorts. The Oklahoma coaches intentionally ran up the score.

Back to Baylor. Maybe my idea #2 (some of you shot down my plan to have Baylor recruit for and run the 'bone) would work. Guy Morriss needs to show some quick turnaround, much like Bill Snyder when he took over at K-State. Snyder went 1-10 that first year, not unlike most of the preceding years so it was business as usual. He knew that in order to recruit the players to begin the turnaround he would have to show some results and quick. He did something so audacious, no coach had ever tried it before and none since. Snyder redshirted every player that was eligible to redshirt, underclassmen, sophs, juniors, he shirted em all. The result was a short squad that first year that paid in blood. The next season, however, the team was loaded with experience and maturity. They went 5-6, a four-game turnaround. The momentum translated into better players going to Manhattan. The year after that they went 7-4 and bowling. The rest is history.

So Guy, take a page from Bill Snyder, do something drastic. You'll either succeed brilliantly or go down in flames but it won't be because you were meek. Go boldly where only one man so far has gone before!

badger
8/25/2007, 11:22 AM
OK, I have watched my little thread meander from Baylor to K-State and back.

Oh, claiming ownership of a discussion, eh? Well you, sir, are about to get SKELETOR'd!
http://chronicle.com/photos/v51/i32/5132a331.jpg
:D:D:D

King Crimson
8/25/2007, 11:32 AM
Greg Cicero will lead the Bears to the promised land. ;)

Dr. Jelly Finger
8/25/2007, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=OSUAggie]

If a coach is able to have a period of success at TBPSU (and by period, I mean 1 year), he'll be one of the hottest suckas in the country. You won't be able to keep Lester.

fixed.

SicEmBaylor
8/25/2007, 12:51 PM
Greg Cicero will lead the Bears to the promised land. ;)
Oh God...

I went from watching nothing but OU football all my life to starting college at Baylor. I knew basically nothing about Baylor football, and I show up to that first game with the team led by Greg Cicero and Kevin Steele. I started thinking maybe this was just Baylor's "Blake" era but Blake was no where that bad.

badger
8/25/2007, 12:57 PM
Oh God...

I went from watching nothing but OU football all my life to starting college at Baylor. I knew basically nothing about Baylor football, and I show up to that first game with the team led by Greg Cicero and Kevin Steele. I started thinking maybe this was just Baylor's "Blake" era but Blake was no where that bad.
just don't turn into this guy:
http://www3.baylor.edu/~Scott_Moore/jpegs/Bobby_Hannah.jpeg
I think he's got his gold helmet teams mixed up :eek:

King Crimson
8/25/2007, 12:58 PM
Oh God...

step 1: you guys need to go back to the gold helmets with the green logo.

CatfishSooner
8/25/2007, 01:00 PM
Who Cares?

SicEmBaylor
8/25/2007, 01:14 PM
step 1: you guys need to go back to the gold helmets with the green logo.
I agree. That topic is the reason that I rarely go over to Baylorfans.

There have literally been about 10,000 30+ page threads discussing uniform color coordination, helmet color, font style, etc.

UGH!

TexasLidig8r
8/27/2007, 08:47 AM
The difference between KState and Baylor.. at K-State in the Snyder area, you would be admitted to the school if you had a semi-regular pulse. He turned it into a finishing school on the plains for JUCO talent who were too dumb to spell cat if you spotted them the C and the A.

On the other hand.. I love me those bouncy Bears if for no other reason, they aggravate the bejeezus out of aggy.

badger
8/27/2007, 09:37 AM
The difference between KState and Baylor.. at K-State in the Snyder area, you would be admitted to the school if you had a semi-regular pulse. He turned it into a finishing school on the plains for JUCO talent who were too dumb to spell cat if you spotted them the C and the A.

On the other hand.. I love me those bouncy Bears if for no other reason, they aggravate the bejeezus out of aggy.
dadada DA da DA da DA!
dadada DA da DA da DA!
Goodbye to Baylor University
Goodbye to green and gold...
;)