PDA

View Full Version : Latest on Mike Vick's Plea Deal

colleyvillesooner
8/24/2007, 10:35 AM
What are the odds that the Judge rejects his plea, since it will fly in the face of every other defendants statments that he was there, helped kill the dogs, and gambled.

Vick won't admit to killing dogs, gambling

ATLANTA (AP) -- Michael Vick's father said he asked his son to give up dogfighting, or to at least put property used in the venture in the names of others to avoid being implicated, according to a report in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Also Thursday night, a report on ESPN.com cited an unidentified ESPN source saying Vick will not admit to killing dogs or gambling on dogfights when he enters a guilty plea in a Richmond, Va., federal court Monday.

ESPN reported that Vick's defense team met with federal attorneys Thursday afternoon to determine the "summary of facts" to which Vick will plead. But ESPN's source said Vick maintains he never killed dogs and never gambled on a dog fight. The source told ESPN the Atlanta Falcons quarterback will plead guilty to the charge of interstate commerce for the purpose of dogfighting.

On Monday, Vick agreed to plead guilty Monday in the federal dogfighting case in Richmond. He faces up to five years in prison and the possible end of his football career. Three co-defendants already pleaded guilty and were expected to testify against Vick if the case went to trial. In addition, a Virginia prosecutor is considering bringing state charges against Vick.

In The Journal-Constitution report posted on the newspaper's Web site Thursday night, Michael Boddie, who is estranged from Vick and the quarterback's mother, also said some time around 2001 his son staged dogfights in the garage of the family home in Newport News, Va.

Boddie told the newspaper Vick kept fighting dogs in the family's backyard, including dogs that were "bit up, chewed up, exhausted." Boddie claimed to have nursed the dogs back to health.

The indictment against Vick does not mention the parents' former home in Newport News.

In the report, Boddie dismissed the idea that Vick's longtime friends were the main instigators of the dogfighting operation.

"I wish people would stop sugarcoating it," Boddie told The Journal-Constitution. "This is Mike's thing. And he knows it ... likes it, and he has the capital to have a set up like that."

The report said Boddie and the Atlanta Falcons quarterback have had a volatile relationship for years and that his son has refused to speak with him directly for the last 2½ half months.

Boddie, 45, lives in an apartment his son has paid the rent on for the last three years. Vick, who has a $130 million contract with the Falcons, also gives him a couple of hundred dollars every week or two, the father told the newspaper.

In the report, Boddie also said he asked Vick for $1 million, spread out over 12 years, Vick declined, the father said. Recently, Boddie asked Vick, through an assistant, for $700,000 to live on.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

jk the sooner fan
8/24/2007, 10:44 AM
i wonder if JJ Taylor's opinion has changed in light of this news

TUSooner
8/24/2007, 10:44 AM
The judge might reject the plea (for some reason), but I kinda doubt it: Pleading guilty to less than you might be convicted of at trial is what makes a deal a deal.

colleyvillesooner
8/24/2007, 10:48 AM
Yeah, but if he only gets 12 months and a conspiracy charge, I'd bet money he plays in the NFL again.

So he built that entire compound just to go to dog fights and never gamble on them or participate?

Bull****.

VeeJay
8/24/2007, 10:50 AM
At first, the vickster said he was innocent and had no idea what was going on at his place in Virginia.

Now, well, maybe he was doing a little dog trafficking.

Heh. Yeah, whatever Mikey.

soonerinabilene
8/24/2007, 10:52 AM
Interesting point brought up on Mike and Mike this morning: if the judge accepts this plea, with all the evidence and testimony that is against him that says he did kill the dogs and gamble, there is a very real possiblity that Vick rolled over on someone even more involved and bigger than him. Just conspiricy talk, really, but interesting.

Beef
8/24/2007, 10:58 AM
Interesting point brought up on Mike and Mike this morning: if the judge accepts this plea, with all the evidence and testimony that is against him that says he did kill the dogs and gamble, there is a very real possiblity that Vick rolled over on someone even more involved and bigger than him. Just conspiricy talk, really, but interesting.
I think if that were the case, he would have just just not said anything rather than denying the gambling or killing.

rufnek05
8/24/2007, 11:01 AM

like the mafia of dog fighting? that would be sweet. all those dog killing mofo's deserve to be put in a pit with a polar bear, and have to wear a meat vest.

JohnnyMack
8/24/2007, 11:02 AM

It's quite obvious who.

Roger Goodell

Expect a lawsuit from South Carolina any day now.

rufnek05
8/24/2007, 11:04 AM
heh

yermom
8/24/2007, 11:33 AM
it's bad when your dad doesn't even have your back.

it sounds like he is denying killing dogs and gambling, not staging dogfights, right?

those things are pretty hard to prove anyway...

Beef
8/24/2007, 11:39 AM
I saw on ESPN.com that the big problem is that the Gubment has 2 people who said under oath that he killed dogs and gambled. If Vick says under oath that he didn't kill dogs or gamble, obviously someone's lying under oath. Maybe that court doesn't have a problem with perjury, but I would find it hard to accept a plea from someone who's lying, whether it's Vick or the other guys.

Taxman71
8/24/2007, 11:51 AM
Any idea what Vick is getting his dad for Father's Day next year?

yermom
8/24/2007, 11:52 AM
that's normal with the plea deal though, he just pleas guilty to lesser charges and gets a lesser sentence. it's like the rapist that pleads guilty to "reckless endangerment" or some such

jk the sooner fan
8/24/2007, 11:54 AM
i hope the judge rejects his plea and makes them go to trial

Beef
8/24/2007, 11:54 AM
I don't think admitting to the dog killing or gambling really has any effect on the charges, I just thought the Gov't wanted him to admit to all of the things he has been accused of.

TMcGee86
8/24/2007, 12:06 PM
Yeah, this isn't pleading to a lesser charge.

The interstate trafficking is the highest charge. I'm not even sure if there were charges for killing dogs or gambling.

I'm not sure on the federal level, but at the state level, betting isn't against the law, running a book is against the law.

So it appears that Vick is admitting to the Feds biggest charge, but making sure it doesnt say in the Order that he admits to killing a dog or betting on a dog fight.

I'm not that familiar with this case, nor federal laws, but I think this is just Vick trying to ensure he doesnt get banned from the NFL, and the media, not understanding the law, is making it out to be a bigger deal than it is.

JohnnyMack
8/24/2007, 01:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2989824

Now he's admitting to the killings.

TUSooner
8/24/2007, 01:18 PM
"Not admitting" is not the same as "denying." Vick might "not admit" gambling (er whatevva), but far, far from committing perjury by denying it under oath.
In fact, "not admitting" is what the right to remain silent and the rsght against self-incrimination are all about.
Just sayin.

Beef
8/24/2007, 01:19 PM
I'm curious what the NFL's stance on bankrolling gambling but not betting (yeah right) will be.

r5TPsooner
8/24/2007, 01:34 PM
What are the odds that the Judge rejects his plea, since it will fly in the face of every other defendants statments that he was there, helped kill the dogs, and gambled.

Vick won't admit to killing dogs, gambling

ATLANTA (AP) -- Michael Vick's father said he asked his son to give up dogfighting, or to at least put property used in the venture in the names of others to avoid being implicated, according to a report in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Also Thursday night, a report on ESPN.com cited an unidentified ESPN source saying Vick will not admit to killing dogs or gambling on dogfights when he enters a guilty plea in a Richmond, Va., federal court Monday.

ESPN reported that Vick's defense team met with federal attorneys Thursday afternoon to determine the "summary of facts" to which Vick will plead. But ESPN's source said Vick maintains he never killed dogs and never gambled on a dog fight. The source told ESPN the Atlanta Falcons quarterback will plead guilty to the charge of interstate commerce for the purpose of dogfighting.

On Monday, Vick agreed to plead guilty Monday in the federal dogfighting case in Richmond. He faces up to five years in prison and the possible end of his football career. Three co-defendants already pleaded guilty and were expected to testify against Vick if the case went to trial. In addition, a Virginia prosecutor is considering bringing state charges against Vick.

In The Journal-Constitution report posted on the newspaper's Web site Thursday night, Michael Boddie, who is estranged from Vick and the quarterback's mother, also said some time around 2001 his son staged dogfights in the garage of the family home in Newport News, Va.

Boddie told the newspaper Vick kept fighting dogs in the family's backyard, including dogs that were "bit up, chewed up, exhausted." Boddie claimed to have nursed the dogs back to health.

The indictment against Vick does not mention the parents' former home in Newport News.

In the report, Boddie dismissed the idea that Vick's longtime friends were the main instigators of the dogfighting operation.

"I wish people would stop sugarcoating it," Boddie told The Journal-Constitution. "This is Mike's thing. And he knows it ... likes it, and he has the capital to have a set up like that."

The report said Boddie and the Atlanta Falcons quarterback have had a volatile relationship for years and that his son has refused to speak with him directly for the last 2½ half months.

Boddie, 45, lives in an apartment his son has paid the rent on for the last three years. Vick, who has a $130 million contract with the Falcons, also gives him a couple of hundred dollars every week or two, the father told the newspaper.

In the report, Boddie also said he asked Vick for $1 million, spread out over 12 years, Vick declined, the father said. Recently, Boddie asked Vick, through an assistant, for $700,000 to live on.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Write me one check for $700k and I could live off of it for life.

The Vick's do not seem like a family of scholars IMHO.

TMcGee86
8/24/2007, 02:03 PM
I'm curious what the NFL's stance on bankrolling gambling but not betting (yeah right) will be.

Yeah that's what's stupid about this whole thing. Talk about missing the forest for the trees. Vick is srsly sad if he thinks this some how lessens the impact his case will have either with the public at large or the NFL.

TMcGee86
8/24/2007, 02:06 PM
"Not admitting" is not the same as "denying." Vick might "not admit" gambling (er whatevva), but far, far from committing perjury by denying it under oath.
In fact, "not admitting" is what the right to remain silent and the rsght against self-incrimination are all about.
Just sayin.

Very true. I meant to say that as well. Good point.

TMcGee86
8/24/2007, 02:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2989824

Now he's admitting to the killings.

I knew it. If you listen to ESPN's legal analyst explain it, he admitted to everything.

The media is so quick to jump to conclusions that they are making this out like he isn't admitting to it.

He has admitted to gambling, killing dogs, and running a dog fighting ring.

Pretty much everything he was charged with.

TUSooner
8/24/2007, 02:39 PM
I knew it. If you listen to ESPN's legal analyst explain it, he admitted to everything.

The media is so quick to jump to conclusions that they are making this out like he isn't admitting to it.

He has admitted to gambling, killing dogs, and running a dog fighting ring.

Pretty much everything he was charged with.
Well then. My next sagely post was going to be that you can't validly plead guilty to a charge without admitting to all the conduct that makes it a crime. And I honestly don't know exactly what Vick's charged offense is (you know, "a violation of 18 USC section ****").

But never mind; he's obviously guilty of something very scuzzy. :pop:

OU Adonis
8/24/2007, 02:56 PM
I heard he plead down from owning these

http://www.allaboutpetswa.com/dog-pitbull.jpg

To owning these

http://www.mattcutts.com/images/firefox-puppy1.jpg

soonerbrat
8/24/2007, 03:04 PM

a puppy?

TexasSooner01
8/24/2007, 03:12 PM

a dead puppy and gamblin money???

soonerinabilene
8/24/2007, 05:02 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7151408?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10347

Michael Vick acknowledged in court papers Friday that he did, indeed, bankroll gambling on dogfighting and helped kill some dogs not worthy of the pit, but insisted he placed no bets of his own nor took any winnings.

so the sick f*ck didnt even do it for extra money, or because he has a gambling addiction, but just for the hell of it? This makes him look worse than admitting to everything, I think.

AlbqSooner
8/24/2007, 08:05 PM
NFL Commish Goodell has suspended him indefinitely stating that bankrolling gambling, though different from gambling violates the NFL personal conduct provisions. He also pointed out that it puts Vick in contact with gamblers who could undermine confidence in the integrity of the NFL. Commish says he will wait until after the legal side plays out before determining exactly what constitutes indefinitely.

Scott D
8/24/2007, 08:27 PM
NFL Commish Goodell has suspended him indefinitely stating that bankrolling gambling, though different from gambling violates the NFL personal conduct provisions. He also pointed out that it puts Vick in contact with gamblers who could undermine confidence in the integrity of the NFL. Commish says he will wait until after the legal side plays out before determining exactly what constitutes indefinitely.

Indefinitely constitutes no less than "one year" to no more than "18 games" imo.

soonerboomer93
8/24/2007, 09:04 PM
Possibly, but what I hear is that the big problem is the gambling and that he financed illegal gambling, so it could go longer. However I wouldn't be suprised if it was just for 1 year beyond his prison sentence

Scott D
8/24/2007, 09:36 PM
well I have to agree that while it's "indefinite" now, an actual term of how long he'd be suspended wouldn't start until his release from prison. That's the main reason I'm leaning toward it being 1 year. Goodell would have to be under a ton of pressure to make it any longer than that.

Okla-homey
8/24/2007, 10:29 PM
This is on it's way to being the worst "brand" crash and burn in American history.

Lesson: You can take the thug out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the thug.

IMHO, dog killerz (and torturerz) deserve whatever they get.

bluedogok
8/24/2007, 10:58 PM
The other morning Chris Mortensen was on Mike & Mike and said the price for all of this from just his Falcons contract could be about $83 million counting pro-rated signing bonus and future compensation. Today it was announced after his plea deal that Nike had terminated its contract with him.

Scott D
8/25/2007, 12:19 AM
The other morning Chris Mortensen was on Mike & Mike and said the price for all of this from just his Falcons contract could be about $83 million counting pro-rated signing bonus and future compensation. Today it was announced after his plea deal that Nike had terminated its contract with him.

the Nike dropping was pretty much a done deal once the indictment came down. It was a matter of how they could frame things so that they wouldn't have to pay him any form of compensation for cutting him loose.

olevetonahill
8/25/2007, 12:57 AM
He should have become a SoonerFans.com Sponsor and Just bet Vcash
What a Tard !

tulsaoilerfan
8/25/2007, 02:47 AM
I will be glad when this whole thing is put to bed as i'm getting pretty tired of hearing about it; put him in jail and get it over with

StoopTroup
8/25/2007, 03:38 AM
If he plays again after what they did to Pete Rose...

I'm done with the NFL.

Scott D
8/25/2007, 09:17 AM
If he plays again after what they did to Pete Rose...

I'm done with the NFL.

Eh Pete Rose got what he deserved....he finally admitted that not only did he bet on the sport he was involved in, but he bet on his own team.

Now Joe Jackson, that's another story since they never proved he took any money from the mob to throw the 1919 World Series.