PDA

View Full Version : Will Bradford be a stud,a dud, or somewhere

stoopified
8/23/2007, 05:43 PM
in between .My slightly biased Sooner heart says he will be a stud.Think Jason White with two good knees.

I also believe that he will WIN the Heisman Trophy and own virtually all OU passing records by the end of his sophomre year while leading us to the NATIONAL TITLE.

XingTheRubicon
8/23/2007, 05:51 PM
Sam has a great vertical leap.

Ryan Leaf had one of the best QB combine vertical leap heights ever.

rockin good news

OUHOMER
8/23/2007, 05:53 PM
i think some where in between. Dont think we have to worry about maturity.
He has great supporting case. So as long as he does his job and doesnt try to make things happen he will grow into a good QB, maybe even a stud

goingoneight
8/23/2007, 07:35 PM
Shoot for the caretaker for your first couple of games, Sam. As the coaches have told you... you're talented enough to lead and manage this offense. Making clutch plays comes with experience, and the first couple of games will give you a good mix of opponents good and great to get the feel of it all.

Will
8/23/2007, 07:39 PM
in between .My slightly biased Sooner heart says he will be a stud.Think Jason White with two good knees.Realistically I'm thinking more along the lines of Nate Hybl and praying he ain't a Rawls.I think he is already light years ahead of Rawls in maturity alone but you never know.

I think Sam will be good but it wouldn't be bad if he was like a Nate Hybl. I think he was underrated because he followed Josh... Nate was Rose Bowl MVP

King Crimson
8/23/2007, 07:46 PM
at the very least he'll start off with a better, more experienced OL than Nate did on 01.

OKLA21FAN
8/23/2007, 07:49 PM
just play 'within himself', and don't try to do too much this first year, and the 'stud' label maybe appropriate for his career.

just my humble opinion

sanantoniosooner
8/23/2007, 07:49 PM
He's the next Brett Favre.

Seriously.

sooneron
8/23/2007, 08:27 PM
I would like Danny Bradley for 500 Alex.

utex74
8/23/2007, 08:41 PM
I obviously have no stake in who your QB is but I have to say it is kind of cool that the long time, native Sooner fan won the starting job. Can you imagine the adreneline rush when he steps under center? Dreams coming true are cool, no matter who you are.

sooneron
8/23/2007, 08:42 PM
I obviously have no stake in who your QB is but I have to say it is kind of cool that the long time, native Sooner fan won the starting job. Can you imagine the adreneline rush when he steps under center? Dreams coming true are cool, no matter who you are.
Not bad for a whorn.

Now go the **** away!!!!!!!

:D

CatfishSooner
8/23/2007, 08:52 PM
I hope he's better than Hybl...just sayin :D

stoopified
8/23/2007, 09:52 PM
I think Sam will be good but it wouldn't be bad if he was like a Nate Hybl. I think he was underrated because he followed Josh... Nate was Rose Bowl MVP
Nate was meant as my in between White and Rawls example.I did not mean it in a negative way.Nate was very good his senior year when he was Rose MVP.24 tds and only 8 int is good on any level.

CtheB
8/23/2007, 10:39 PM
One thing that makes me think he is going to be a stud is what he has in between the ears. After watching him for three years at PCN, I think this kid has a great head on him. Great study.

douxpaysan
8/23/2007, 11:04 PM
It is going to be hard going for SB unless he gets wins early on. No matter what...if we stump our toe against Miami or anyone else the back-up qb fans will seek the starter's butt just like they did PT. Feeding the monster of our expectations will be a daunting jorb.

The Maestro
8/23/2007, 11:09 PM
The last time we started a QB with initials JH we won a national title.

Oh crap, that means Halzle...crap, I'm drunk on Thursday.

Disregard.

Soonerus
8/23/2007, 11:56 PM
Clearly better than Nate...so that's good...

Ardmore_Sooner
8/24/2007, 12:10 AM
just play 'with himself'

You're sick man

nolesooner1984
8/24/2007, 08:04 AM
You're sick man

:pop:

stoopified
8/24/2007, 09:04 AM
You're sick man
I believe he meant within himself (I.E. not try to do too much).

NS5
8/24/2007, 10:06 AM
Every one on here has a question mark on their reply.. Look back at his
high school record and performance. He'll do well and yes a couple of games
to tune the rhythm. Good QB's are smart, he fits the bill.

Ryan Leaf got booed every time he entered the Murph. Don't compare him to
SB.

SoonerBBall
8/24/2007, 10:17 AM
Clearly better than Nate...so that's good...

One is a redshirt freshman that has never taken a snap in a college game, the other was the Rose Bowl MVP in 2002 and quite literally sacrificed his body for the wins he achieved.

You'll never get over this, will you?

P.S. We got beat those years because of our defense just as much as our offense.

Stitch Face
8/24/2007, 10:18 AM
...if we stump our toe against Miami

You mean, like, amputate it?
:eek:

Newbomb Turk
8/24/2007, 10:33 AM
Clearly better than Nate...

really?

nothing against Sam, but why is he CLEARLY better?

Soonermagik
8/24/2007, 10:58 AM
I think he will be a good player, but not Heisman worthy from what I have seen. However, players do grow up and become better, so that is just my guess.

If our offense will play to his strengths we should have a very good season.

Newbomb Turk
8/24/2007, 11:03 AM
and I think Sam will become a pretty darn good player. We can't expect the world from him this season though.

TMcGee86
8/24/2007, 11:21 AM
a mix of regular season Jason White, and post season Nate.

so basically awexome.

soonerloyal
8/24/2007, 12:08 PM
I was reading the eight-section (!) Fall Football spread in today's Orlando Sentinal this morning. I had to turn to the next-to-last page of the second section (passing the big 2 1/2-page writeup on USUC and a leering photo of O.J. Simpson....Egad!) before I finally found a tiny 1/8-page column about the Big 12. (Guess who's on the front page of that section? Regis Philbin, fer Pete's sake. Apparently he's a huge ND fan. Who cares? Stupid Florida rag.) But I digress.

Anyway - I almost spilled my coffee when I read: "And if Oklahoma is able to run effectively behind a big, physical line, it wins the South despite a new quarterback in Joey Halzle, who has a big target in 6-4, 217-pound WR Malcolm Kelly".

The author, sportswriter Mike Huguenin, isn't able to keep up effectively enough with sports to get a starting QB correct? Being the fussy old broad that I am, I called up the Sentinal and bitched. They didn't care and I doubt they print a correction, but sheesh, I couldn't just let it pass.

It's a sad thing when I'm made to miss the Transcript and the Oklahoman. Wow.

Ardmore_Sooner
8/24/2007, 12:21 PM
I believe he meant within himself (I.E. not try to do too much).

It's crazy what leaving a smiley out will do. :D

zevogolf
8/24/2007, 01:40 PM
Depends how he holds up mentally, which is the case at the qb position...Can he make quick decisions based on the coverage and the rush, can he read the defenses and get the ball to the right player. Our expectation should be that he will do at least a reasonable job and he may be a real keeper....I think either the kid from Michigan or the kid coming from NM next year is likely to over take him on shear ability. Who knows maybe Sam will out shine all of them....All I want is for OU to WIN, WIN, WIN!!!!

cvsooner
8/24/2007, 02:28 PM
I apologize for the insensitivity of my question, as it's not clear to me from the photos online. And I don't really care what race SB is, from that standpoint. Jamelle Holieway, Thomas Lott and especially Paul Thompson are some of my all time favorite QBs. I'm just curious and I can't tell from the pictures I've seen on the web.

Is Bradford a white kid with a really deep tan? Or is he black?

flopshotjoe99
8/24/2007, 02:37 PM
he couldn't ask for a better supporting cast. A win against Miami & I think his confidence soars.:cool:

KRYPTON
8/24/2007, 02:52 PM
I apologize for the insensitivity of my question...

Don't limit yourself to a simple binary choice of anachronistic and racially insensitive terms, try to throw in "mulatto" or "half-breed" while you're at it so we have a wider range of degrading and insulting slurs to choose from!:texan:

For those of you who jerk yer knees faster than you sense sarcasm, I keed.

cvsooner
8/24/2007, 03:09 PM
Don't limit yourself to a simple binary choice of anachronistic and racially insensitive terms, try to throw in "mulatto" or "half-breed" while you're at it so we have a wider range of degrading and insulting slurs to choose from!:texan:

For those of you who jerk yer knees faster than you sense sarcasm, I keed.

That's the danger of a question like mine. Frankly, as long as he's covered in crimson and cream, I don't care. Forget I asked.

stoopified
8/24/2007, 04:18 PM
I apologize for the insensitivity of my question, as it's not clear to me from the photos online. And I don't really care what race SB is, from that standpoint. Jamelle Holieway, Thomas Lott and especially Paul Thompson are some of my all time favorite QBs. I'm just curious and I can't tell from the pictures I've seen on the web.

Actually Cherokee ,I'm serious.He was on TV last night talking about his pride in his Cherokee heritage.Personally I have pride in my Irish-Jewish-Chickasaw heritage.

cvsooner
8/24/2007, 04:26 PM
Ah. Way cool. Thanks for the info. Makes perfect sense. And how great is that? Land of the Red Men!

TMcGee86
8/24/2007, 04:37 PM
Actually Cherokee ,I'm serious.He was on TV last night talking about his pride in his Cherokee heritage.Personally I have pride in my Irish-Jewish-Chickasaw heritage.

I figured he had to be native american. I'm glad you said that. That makes it that much better of a story to me, OKC kid, Indian, OU fan. This is a great story. Hopefully his play makes it an amazing story.

cvsooner
8/24/2007, 04:41 PM
Wait'll he plays against OSU. Ha!

douxpaysan
8/24/2007, 05:37 PM
You mean, like, amputate it?
:eek:
No...like jerk it off like a sack at Henry Hudson's.

stoopified
8/25/2007, 11:09 AM
No...like jerk it off
Hey man this is a family site. :D:D:D:D

Whet
8/25/2007, 11:12 AM
Sam will be the man! So great, he will be remembered at Big Sam Stud!

jkjsooner
8/25/2007, 01:20 PM

Nate took care of the offense but with a QB who could make a few more plays I honestly believe we win the national championship in 2001. That team was so talented in every position except the QB play was only adequate.

PrideTrombone
8/25/2007, 01:29 PM
Nate took care of the offense but with a QB who could make a few more plays I honestly believe we win the national championship in 2001. That team was so talented in every position except the QB play was only adequate.

The offensive line sucked. A lot.

jkjsooner
8/25/2007, 01:34 PM
The offensive line sucked. A lot.

Yeah, I forgot about that. Actually, I think they were average but not up to a top 10 team's standards.

In my uneducated opinion, I really think we needed a more mobile QB in 2001 due to the offensive line problems. That's why White, when healthy, was the better QB.

King Crimson
8/25/2007, 01:51 PM
no running game in 01, play calling based on inability to block anyone (see the Nebraska game--poor Vince Carter got abused as a freshman)....Mangino got hooked on the 3 yard swing pass on 3rd and 7. no time. Nate got beat up that year, anyone who questions his toughness ought to go back and watch the KSU and UT games.

DrZaius
8/25/2007, 02:01 PM
Stud

birddog
8/25/2007, 02:03 PM
no running game in 01, play calling based on inability to block anyone (see the Nebraska game--poor Vince Carter got abused as a freshman)....Mangino got hooked on the 3 yard swing pass on 3rd and 7. no time. Nate got beat up that year, anyone who questions his toughness ought to go back and watch the KSU and UT games.

i'll always have a ton of respect for nate, despite some people saying he was a terrible qb. he was tough as nails and was a great leader and role model for the university. i forgot when they started handing out rose bowl mvp's to terrible players.

i was at that ksu game and they were knocking his head off. we managed to put up 38 that game.

oupharmer
8/26/2007, 12:46 AM
I liked Nate and loved JW, but sorry I don't think we'd of beat '01 Miami even if we still had #14, and he's my personal hero...

ruf/nekdad
8/26/2007, 02:03 AM
If you can play scratch golf, you something working upstairs. This is a good thing. But any moron can play basketball.

ruf/nekdad
8/26/2007, 02:07 AM
Stud
Gotta love that avatar:D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/26/2007, 09:51 AM
With his Injun heritage, maybe Sam will be the next Jim Plunkett?

BoggyCreekMonster
8/26/2007, 09:44 PM
Compare. Love the Bradford story but it may be short and sweet considering the rapid progression of Nichol in just 6 short months with the SOONERS.
Sam Bradford:
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=31616&sport=1
Keith Nichol:
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=41235&sport=1

thatmediadude
8/27/2007, 01:13 AM
I just think with that "O" line and our skill position weapons it will be hard for Sam to fail. I think he will be as good or better than PT was for us and PT was solid....Sam has been there for a year and a half and has the coaches raving..so with that being said..little mistakes will come, but think how bad our 05 qb made mistakes and the O line wasn't NEARLY this good..(notice i didnt point out the name of the qb). Sam will be fine. He will lead OU to another Big XII title....

goingoneight
8/27/2007, 01:40 AM
Compare. Love the Bradford story but it may be short and sweet considering the rapid progression of Nichol in just 6 short months with the SOONERS.
Sam Bradford:
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=31616&sport=1
Keith Nichol:
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=41235&sport=1

Million dollar question:
How many people play that card with the impressive recruit? 9/10 experience beats "potential." At least for the first year, it does. I find it hard to believe that if Sam has a good year in 2007 that even a super QB would unseat him as the starter in 2008. I'm glad KN is here to push the guys, but I don't see him starting for quite awhile unless someone is badly inneffective or injured. And a loss or two doesn't necessarily mean the quarterback is ineffective or should be benched.

stoopified
8/27/2007, 11:50 AM
Million dollar question:
How many people play that card with the impressive recruit? 9/10 experience beats "potential." At least for the first year, it does. I find it hard to believe that if Sam has a good year in 2007 that even a super QB would unseat him as the starter in 2008. I'm glad KN is here to push the guys, but I don't see him starting for quite awhile unless someone is badly inneffective or injured. And a loss or two doesn't necessarily mean the quarterback is ineffective or should be benched.
I agree.The other factor to consider is injury though..If Sam is effective and stays HYEALTHY,he can keep the job.If not,I could see a Hybl/White replay scenario.

stoopified
9/2/2007, 08:47 AM
I thought the way Slingin' Sammy played this thread was appropriate.All I can say is WOW.I am not going to get carried away however and proclaim Bradford to be Heupel,White,and Mildren all rolled into one,at least not YET.It was after all UNT,but a performance ANYWHERE APPROACHING THIS against UM and well ,I may not be able to stop singing the praises of Slingin' Sam Bradford.Best debut I have seen of ANY OU QB,regardless of classification since I have been an OU fan(dating back to '69).

85sooners
9/2/2007, 09:09 AM
:pop:

CtheB
9/2/2007, 09:19 AM
After last night, I will say the same thing as said earlier, he's as good between the ears as he is physically, and showed it last night with the toss up to Kelly while scrambling away from pressure. Smart play. Thinks on his feet. I really think he's going to be a good one.

North Texas or not, that is the finest debut I have ever seen at Owen Field. I mean 20-22, 350 yards, no INT's...IN A HALF????? 18 Straight completions???? Boys, that's just sick...on any level , and against any opponent.

sooner94
9/2/2007, 01:15 PM
I bet he completes over 90% of his passes for 350 yards.:D

Piware
9/2/2007, 02:13 PM
How long will it be before we are calling him Fantastic Sam? Not long for me considering his performance last night. I liked Nate but he made me nervous and JW will always be one of my all time favorite Sooners. If Sam is somewhere in between that will be fine.

With the O line playing well, brilliant is a huge bonus when all he has to do is not make bad throws and hang onto the ball. I'm impressed, happy and anxious to tee off on Miami.

Frozen Sooner
9/2/2007, 02:17 PM
With his Injun heritage, maybe Sam will be the next Jim Plunkett?

I'd be good with Sonny Sixkiller

UTisLousy
9/2/2007, 02:27 PM
He makes good decisions. That's all we really need. We have the team to go very far if he keeps making good decisions like he did last night. I didn't see one freshman-like play from Slingin' Sammy (I like that one the best) last night.

When we recruited him I saw that he had a 4.2 gpa coming out of high school. That brain of his will really pay off well for this team down the road.

stoopified
9/2/2007, 05:16 PM
He makes good decisions. That's all we really need. We have the team to go very far if he keeps making good decisions like he did last night. I didn't see one freshman-like play from Slingin' Sammy (I like that one the best) last night.

When we recruited him I saw that he had a 4.2 gpa coming out of high school. That brain of his will really pay off well for this team down the road.
Merv Johnson told me there are TWO things OU looks for first and foremost in a QB:the ability to throw and make good decisions.IF we want to be a national title contender Sam needs to continue to do both of those things well.Miami should be the acid test,as they have as good of defensive talent as we will see all year.While I doubt he will put up the kind of numbers we saw aginst UNT,a solid performance will enhance OUr chances of winning #8 .

stoopified
3/7/2008, 09:04 PM
He's the next Brett Favre.

Seriously.Based on on this years performance,I have to AGREE.

OU-HSV
3/7/2008, 09:16 PM
I didn't read the whole thread. Just wanted to give my answer.

Stud

XingTheRubicon
3/7/2008, 09:25 PM
Once again SAS out-sarcasmed himself;)

sanantoniosooner
3/7/2008, 09:44 PM
It was a prophecy

yermom
3/8/2008, 10:43 AM
he's gonna have to work on his INTs to live up to being Brett Favre

he's lagging WAY behind :D

Sabanball
3/8/2008, 07:40 PM
IF he stays healthy, SB will win the Heisman before leaving Norman. Make book on it.

Ardmore_Sooner
3/8/2008, 07:42 PM
he's gonna have to work on his INTs to live up to being Brett Favre

he's lagging WAY behind :D

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: ;)

Youngsooner
3/9/2008, 12:21 AM
I dunno what you're talking about... he's a dud ;)

goingoneight
3/9/2008, 02:11 AM
He's no Colt McCoy... :texan:

sooner n houston
3/9/2008, 08:28 AM
This thread reminds me, someone needs to somehow save a copy of the "I think Sam Bradford kinda sucks" thread from over on Hornfans. It was started just before the season started last year. Several posters kept bringing it back to the top each week during the season until the mods finally locked it. It is a classic! :D

auto
3/9/2008, 09:30 AM
This thread reminds me, someone needs to somehow save a copy of the "I think Sam Bradford kinda sucks" thread from over on Hornfans. It was started just before the season started last year. Several posters kept bringing it back to the top each week during the season until the mods finally locked it. It is a classic! :D

Even got banned over bringing it back TTT:D

Flagstaffsooner
3/9/2008, 11:09 AM
He's no Colt McCoy... :texan:Thank God.

BoulderSooner79
3/9/2008, 03:46 PM
He's no Colt McCoy... :texan:

Will Sam's numbers go down his soph year ala McCoy? I think the numbers will dip a little because they were so good in '07 and Sam will be asked to do more in '08. The efficiency rating shouldn't drop as much as McCoy's because the O-line returns almost intact, but the int's will increase from taking more risks. But he could still have a better year regardless of numbers if he makes more big positive plays.

soonerfan28
3/9/2008, 07:00 PM
Tulsa World had a good article this morning about Sam Bradford. It said that he has gained 12 pounds of muscle and increased his foot speed. My guess is he played last season around 210lbs, so that means he is somewhere in around 222lbs. Not to bad. It seems like when they recruited him he ran a 4.7, so maybe he's gotten faster. I think we're going to have the best QB in the Big 12 by a long shot, barring injury. And it doesn't hurt that we return our entire OL.

Youngsooner
3/9/2008, 07:05 PM
I'm predicting SB to throw for 100%, 0 interceptions, throw for 7000 yards and 60 touchdowns.... but something tells me i may be disapointed ;)

soonerfan28
3/10/2008, 10:01 AM
With 7000 yards and no interceptions it should be more like 80 TD's.

Youngsooner
3/10/2008, 11:08 AM
With 7000 yards and no interceptions it should be more like 80 TD's.

well he gets it to the 1 yard line alot and punches it in with DM :)

shaun4411
3/10/2008, 12:46 PM
Tulsa World had a good article this morning about Sam Bradford. It said that he has gained 12 pounds of muscle and increased his foot speed. My guess is he played last season around 210lbs, so that means he is somewhere in around 222lbs. Not to bad. It seems like when they recruited him he ran a 4.7, so maybe he's gotten faster. I think we're going to have the best QB in the Big 12 by a long shot, barring injury. And it doesn't hurt that we return our entire OL.

i agree for the most part. the great thing about smart people is that they tend not to get more stupid from year to year. his greatest asset is his intelligence and field vision. as far as morale is concerned, the fact that there are no question marks at the qb position for the first time in a few years will be a nice breath of fresh air.

fadada1
3/10/2008, 01:12 PM
i agree for the most part. the great thing about smart people is that they tend not to get more stupider from year to year. his greatest asset is his intelligence and field vision. as far as morale is concerned, the fact that there are no question marks at the qb position for the first time in a few years will be a nice breath of fresh air.

i agree. :D ;)

shaun4411
3/10/2008, 08:03 PM
i agree. :D ;)

i know, i didnt say it all proper like. what i meant was "he dont get no more stupider"

stoopified
12/18/2008, 05:21 PM
in between .My slightly biased Sooner heart says he will be a stud.Think Jason White with two good knees.

I also believe that he will WIN the Heisman Trophy and own virtually all OU passing records by the end of his sophomre year while leading us to the NATIONAL TITLE.Just thought I would look back on my thoughts about Bradford as he started his OU career,all I can say is I'm pretty darn sharp. :D

birddog
12/18/2008, 05:33 PM
nice edit, stoop. i almost called you a genius.

Knippz
12/18/2008, 05:39 PM
Just thought I would look back on my thoughts about Bradford as he started his OU career,all I can say is I'm pretty darn sharp. :D

Edited: Dec 18 2008

Almost spek'd you...then almost negged you. Decided against it.:cool:

TMcGee86
12/18/2008, 05:49 PM
a mix of regular season Jason White, and post season Nate.

so basically awexome.

BOOSH!!1

Nailed it.

OklahomaTuba
12/18/2008, 06:05 PM
I shall await the conclusion of this seasons competition before rendering judgment on the question put forth above.

I encourage everyone else to do the same as well.

Thank you in advance.

douxpaysan
12/19/2008, 12:29 AM
It is going to be hard going for SB unless he gets wins early on. No matter what...if we stump our toe against Miami or anyone else the back-up qb fans will seek the starter's butt just like they did PT. Feeding the monster of our expectations will be a daunting jorb.

If I can't do better than that I should punt.:O

stoopified
12/19/2008, 11:22 AM
Edited: Dec 18 2008

Almost spek'd you...then almost negged you. Decided against it.:cool:The part about think Jason White with two healthy knees WAS on my original post two years ago though.I believe after that I said something about hoping he would be Hybl level.Just trying to have a little fun,that is why I used the SH!T-EATING GRIN icon.

NawlensGator
12/19/2008, 12:02 PM
Can some one offer a summary of OU's OL. I know one made all american, but how do you think your OL compares to Bama's? Is there a site that gives a depth chart/player description?

Okie35
12/19/2008, 12:10 PM
Can some one offer a summary of OU's OL. I know one made all american, but how do you think your OL compares to Bama's? Is there a site that gives a depth chart/player description?

our o-lineman are better pass blockers... i know that for a fact as far as run blocking i know bama is good at that and so is OU