PDA

View Full Version : Barry Switzer is Barry Switzer

XingTheRubicon
8/23/2007, 12:28 PM
Switzer Hasn't Lost His Touch
Former coach Barry Switzer Addressed OU student-athletes Sunday night.

Entry No. 36 | August 20, 2007
When Barry Switzer was selected to speak at the first recitation of the Sooner Oath just about everyone expected the kind of inspirational challenge that makes running through a locker room wall seem perfectly viable.
The Sooner coaching great didn’t disappoint. He talked about effort, in competition and in the classroom, getting better, taking pride and all the things that lead to success regardless of the endeavor.

Then he took a hard turn directly into the Middle East and spoke with a poignancy that silenced the 500 student-athletes in attendance.

Switzer pointed out that every Sooner in attendance would at some point encounter frustration, disappointment and the temptation to quit. Then he uttered words of such clear perspective that it made even the smallest whiner blush.

Switzer reminded Oklahoma’s student-athletes that on their worst day they would not endure anything remotely close to the conditions and challenges lay before our fighting men and women, especially those stationed in Iraq, Afghanistan and other hotbeds of military activity.

He told them that when they get to feeling as low as they can feel, there still isn’t anyone stationed in harm’s way that would not trade places with them in a heartbeat.

Switzer’s voice cracked several times while he spoke. OU still means a lot to him. His country means more.

The things he said are things that all of us think from time to time, even when we weigh the relative ease of our daily existence. Unfortunately, we are quick to dismiss that remembrance when we should probably give it some thought 24/7.

What set Switzer’s tribute apart was the venue and the audience. There we were in the shadow of one of this country’s most hallowed football stadiums amidst a group of America’s finest young athletes. All that we have, all that we are and all that those kids can become is wrapped up in the protection afforded by our soldiers.

Do we all know that already? Sure. Are we sometimes quick to forget it when blinded by the enormity of college sports and an impending OU football season? I think maybe we are.

It was nice to be reminded, and it was appropriate to be reminded in that setting.

Switzer excelled again at the place where he so often excelled. He hasn’t lost his touch.

I know he's just channeling Bear Bryant, but that's pretty good stuff. Do you think Barry could convince a young man to run through a wall? Very nice and deserved props to the troops.

Miko
8/23/2007, 02:39 PM
Very cool.

Miko
8/23/2007, 04:29 PM
Long live the king!

CatfishSooner
8/23/2007, 04:42 PM
Switzer is the man

soonerloyal
8/23/2007, 05:19 PM
God bless him. There's a man who knows where our real gratitude lies, no matter what our politics are.

I'll never forget when he & some of his grandkids came into a Norman store where I worked. I was wearing lapel photos of my two Marines, and he stopped talking to the kids and stared hard at the faces of my sons, one of whom was in Iraq. He said "Are those your boys? Marines, huh? You must be mighty proud". "I am, Mr. Switzer". He said, "Where are they?" When I answered, his eyes filled up and he said "God bless 'em - and you too, Mama. There's not too many these days with the guts to do what has to be done. You tell 'em thanks for me, and tell 'em we're behind 'em." "Thank you, Coach, I will". He took my hand and squeezed it, then reached over and pecked me on the cheek. "Stay strong, Mama. We need you, too, y' hear?" He gathered the clan and pointed at me, and said, "That lady's sons are heroes, ya hear?" With that, he and the kids left the store. I stood there with tears streaming down my face, quite unable to wait on the person next in line. Which was fine, because she was crying too.

People can say whatever they want about the Bootlegger's Boy...just make sure that in MY presence, it's good, or I'll wipe the floor with you.

zeke
8/23/2007, 05:36 PM
Switzer = Greatness

OUHOMER
8/23/2007, 05:50 PM
Very Nice

sooner n houston
8/23/2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks to Xing for that great article.

And a very special thanks to SoonerLoyal!! Wow, thanks for posting!

Lets all remember our troops and continue to pray for their safe return.

OKC-SLC
8/23/2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks for posting XTR.

And thanks for sharing a great story, SL.

Long live the King.

stoopified
8/23/2007, 10:52 PM
Its the stories like that that show who the TRUE Barry is,not the packaged horse-manure that the national media likes to sling around.

Soonerus
8/23/2007, 10:57 PM
Switz is the King. He called me for speaking points but no big deal...

douxpaysan
8/24/2007, 12:23 AM
What you see is what you get. But the man wears well.

soonersam
8/24/2007, 09:31 AM
I dont like that article.. It makes him look human!!

mikee likee
8/24/2007, 12:38 PM
People can say whatever they want about the Bootlegger's Boy...just make sure that in MY presence, it's good, or I'll wipe the floor with you.

My new sig line, thank you very much..

The Maestro
8/24/2007, 12:48 PM
God bless him. There's a man who knows where our real gratitude lies, no matter what our politics are.

I'll never forget when he & some of his grandkids came into a Norman store where I worked. I was wearing lapel photos of my two Marines, and he stopped talking to the kids and stared hard at the faces of my sons, one of whom was in Iraq. He said "Are those your boys? Marines, huh? You must be mighty proud". "I am, Mr. Switzer". He said, "Where are they?" When I answered, his eyes filled up and he said "God bless 'em - and you too, Mama. There's not too many these days with the guts to do what has to be done. You tell 'em thanks for me, and tell 'em we're behind 'em." "Thank you, Coach, I will". He took my hand and squeezed it, then reached over and pecked me on the cheek. "Stay strong, Mama. We need you, too, y' hear?" He gathered the clan and pointed at me, and said, "That lady's sons are heroes, ya hear?" With that, he and the kids left the store. I stood there with tears streaming down my face, quite unable to wait on the person next in line. Which was fine, because she was crying too.

Greatest post EVAR!

fwsooner22
8/24/2007, 12:51 PM
We are so freakin lucky he was at Oklahoma.......

IndianJack
8/24/2007, 01:39 PM
King is the sole reason to continue chryogenic/chryonic research.

Edmond Sooner
8/24/2007, 01:59 PM
I've always admired and respected him, but just wow. I'm prouder than ever to be a Switzer fan.

soonerfaninaddison
8/24/2007, 03:35 PM
can we shove this story up dale hansens ***? Barrry is twice the man that hansen could ever hope to be

CUinNC
8/24/2007, 05:20 PM
Posted this awhile back & thought I'd share...it was classic...Dude still has the spirit.....

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96603&highlight=king

The King was on our local sports radio show

yesterday afternoon....he was being interviewed by the host, Mark Packer - son of the infamous Billy...

anyways, Packer was asking Coach about his thoughts on the ACC champions last year - Wake Forest - (I still can't believe that, the world is not right)

And the talk got around to how poorly Wake has done for the last 30 years, and all of a sudden, the King said something like " I know a lot of great Coaches from them ACC schools, but for the most part, isn't that more for golfing than football?"

I almost shat from laughing...and Packer got real quiet, and then said that he didn't go to school in NC, but instead went to Clemson, and asked Coach if he remembered that Citrus Bowl game with Clemson under Danny Ford...(yep, we won)..

Well, the King goes and asks Packer how Coach Ford is doin' nowadays, and Packer says that he's doing well on the farm, and doing a little fishin', and such...

The King then says - "if you see him, tell him I'm glad he's happy on the farm, Today I'm here in Louisiana with Terry Bradshaw havin' a blast"

You could hear in his reply, that he was more than fed-up with Packer, and shortly after, the interview ended....it was Pure Gold to listen to him.

Coach Ford was hired my final year ... by-god, I would love to get Coach Ford & Switzer together one time to just listen to them talk....neither one of them takes any shat...
Man, I got hammered by Coach many times...you got hell if he wasn't happy, then it was all good....I wonder is Switzer was the same...

PLaw
8/24/2007, 05:59 PM

Wow, I'm speachless sitting hear with tears streaming down my cheeks, too. Thank you for sharing and God bless you and your sons. You are all heroes,

BOOMER SOONER
PLaw

Rogue
8/24/2007, 06:14 PM
SoonerLoyal, that was one helluva post!

trav
8/25/2007, 03:22 AM
I live in Los Angeles these days. My brother and his family came into town for the holidays, and we all went to the Rose Parade. Who is riding on the Oklahoma float when it passes our bleacher, Barry. Who is getting getting whacked upside the head for yelling as loud as he can, "hang a half a hundred on them Barry," the fat, ugly guy sitting next to my wife!

You gotta love the King. Long live the King!

oupride
8/25/2007, 09:34 AM
Barry Switzer is THE KING!

soonerstan56
8/25/2007, 10:04 PM
"There's only one............Barry Switzer"!!!

Soonerstan