PDA

View Full Version : MSU fans sound familiar...

goingoneight
8/23/2007, 01:00 AM
Ryan Broyles, Adrian Peterson anyone? (http://www.spartantailgate.com/forums/msu-red-cedar-message-board/262263-nichol-not-starting-ou.html)

They're just shocked that a true freshmen won't be the first guy to take a snap against measley North Texas, it seems. Keith seems like a good kid who made a choice to get into a three-way competition for starting quarterback of a championship-caliber team rather than a two-man competition for a losing program where he'd likely get run over by the BIG 10/11 powers for 4 or 5 years. Personally, if we win 10-13 games this year without Nichol, I'll be happy because the kid will get a long time to redshirt, get bigger and stronger, hone his skills to fit OUr system and learn the Sooner way. But if we need him I'll be very happy he's here as well.

Admittedly, their fans sound just like OUrs did when Scottie Reynolds bailed post-Kelvin. Only difference was that OUr guys were signed already, I believe.

:les: Damn those kids for doing what they feel is best!!!111!1

jk the sooner fan
8/23/2007, 06:55 AM
man they are some bitter fools over there

Harry Beanbag
8/23/2007, 07:21 AM
Aggies are ignorant and delusional everywhere.

auto
8/23/2007, 07:33 AM
Aggies are ignorant and delusional everywhere.

I am beginning to think that this is almost a scientific absolute:D

Spray
8/23/2007, 07:34 AM
Reason #1723 why grown men shouldn't get all wrapped in recruiting. It will always end up ruining your day.

Salt City Sooner
8/23/2007, 08:15 AM
Ryan Broyles, Adrian Peterson anyone? (http://www.spartantailgate.com/forums/msu-red-cedar-message-board/262263-nichol-not-starting-ou.html)

They're just shocked that a true freshmen won't be the first guy to take a snap against measley North Texas, it seems. Keith seems like a good kid who made a choice to get into a three-way competition for starting quarterback of a championship-caliber team rather than a two-man competition for a losing program where he'd likely get run over by the BIG 10/11 powers for 4 or 5 years. Personally, if we win 10-13 games this year without Nichol, I'll be happy because the kid will get a long time to redshirt, get bigger and stronger, hone his skills to fit OUr system and learn the Sooner way. But if we need him I'll be very happy he's here as well.

Admittedly, their fans sound just like OUrs did when Scottie Reynolds bailed post-Kelvin. Only difference was that OUr guys were signed already, I believe.

:les: Damn those kids for doing what they feel is best!!!111!1

Stoops said Nichol probably won't redshirt, per today's D.O. football notes.

Ash
8/23/2007, 08:19 AM
Stoops said Nichol probably won't redshirt, per today's D.O. football notes.

Stoops also hasn't ruled out the possibility of Nichol getting playing time during games. Although, past history would say it's not likely unless Bradford is out for some reason.

The coaches have said over and over again that they wanted someone who was the most consistent and showed leadership and made plays. Also, the coaches have been impressed with Bradford since last season, he didn't come out of nowhere. Nichol is a talent and I bet he'll get his chance.

snp
8/23/2007, 08:37 AM
Reason #1723 why grown men shouldn't get all wrapped in recruiting. It will always end up ruining your day.

only if you're a MSU fan. I don't think any of us recruitneks are sad about this years haul, we've been pretty jubilant.

Landthief 1972
8/23/2007, 09:23 AM
Not a single one of those clowns who are ragging on Nichol has done a lick of research beyond the article naming Bradford the starter. Every publication outside of Michigan has documented that Nichol's skill set has the most upside - he has a stronger arm, quicker feet, etc. If he continues to improve at the rate he is going, he'll be starting next year. But depression and desperation will make Aggies say stupid things, I 'spose.

MextheBulldog
8/23/2007, 09:30 AM
I always knew there was a reason I leaned towards the Maize and Blue over Sparty.

XingTheRubicon
8/23/2007, 09:45 AM
i wonder if Kush has the blues?

That's pretty funny. Sad, but funny.

OKC-SLC
8/23/2007, 10:03 AM
I do not understand why these pitiable children find it unbelievable that a true freshman will not start at a perennial NC contending school when there are two more seasoned QBs on campus who have been in the system longer.

Stick to basketball, morans.

Spartan(Sooner at Heart)
8/23/2007, 10:03 AM
Although my degrees make me a Car Aggie:) , I can't defend these idiots criticizing Nichol. I love the guy whose sig says something about "Guys come to play for Izzo to hang banners..." Apparently that mentality shouldn't apply to top football recruits who should, instead, aspire to play for a second tier program that "hangs a banner" once every 20-25 years. I hate to be so critical of my university and its football program, but it is what it is.

As far as leaning toward the Maize and Blue, don't be so quick to do so, Sooners. U-M fans generally don't have much (if any) respect for OU because U-M wins the "right way" and OU doesn't. Laughable, I know, but that's the perception. Boomer Sooner!

Position Limit
8/23/2007, 10:19 AM
it's amazing how fans can get so caught up in press clippings and recruiting, and delude themselves into believing that a 17 year old kid is going to come in an play on one of college football's biggest stages. as if sam bradford is chopped liver. nichol is still going to have to compete to get a chance to play. and next year he's got landry jones coming in. bradford could lead this team to 4 titles and there will still be knuckleheads that think nichol would have been a better qb. based on nothing other than press clippings. hell, we still have fans that bring up bomar every chance they get. this is beyond annoying already. these msu fans sound like a miserable bunch. cant say i blame them. they have nothing to look forward to. stoops came in and snagged their future and he's our second string qb. props!!!

NormanPride
8/23/2007, 10:33 AM
Although my degrees make me a Car Aggie:) , I can't defend these idiots criticizing Nichol. I love the guy whose sig says something about "Guys come to play for Izzo to hang banners..." Apparently that mentality shouldn't apply to top football recruits who should, instead, aspire to play for a second tier program that "hangs a banner" once every 20-25 years. I hate to be so critical of my university and its football program, but it is what it is.

As far as leaning toward the Maize and Blue, don't be so quick to do so, Sooners. U-M fans generally don't have much (if any) respect for OU because U-M wins the "right way" and OU doesn't. Laughable, I know, but that's the perception. Boomer Sooner!

Heh. "Right way" being plowing through a weak conference with an archaic offense and courteously stepping aside to lose when the Future comes bearing down on them in a bowl game?

King Crimson
8/23/2007, 10:38 AM
Bradford committed pretty early in the process, but he was in the 15-20 range at the QB position nationally. it's not like he walked-on.

soonerinabilene
8/23/2007, 10:47 AM
its weird...if you remember i have a friend who does beat work for sooners football team...anyway, she told me he was promised, not outright but certainly close, the job this year...in essence it was his to lose...

i remember asking her earlier this year about bradford and she insisted that nichol was given every indication the job could be his...and here we are, after a scrimmage, not a game, a scrimmage, and nichol is already fighting his way up the depth chart...

i guess this goes to show recruits that oklahoma say anything to land a recruit...hardly news but i guess its karma haunting nichol to a degree...

Did he pass out at 31 flavors, also?

IndianJack
8/23/2007, 10:52 AM
These msu fans sound a little like some folks here who can't stop mentioning Landry Jones as a serious contender for the position next year. YAWN.

Jacie
8/23/2007, 11:31 AM
I'd be bitter if I had asked the prettiest girl in school to go to the dance and she turned me down for the head jock, too.

Rhino
8/23/2007, 12:02 PM
Bradford committed pretty early in the process, but he was in the 15-20 range at the QB position nationally. it's not like he walked-on. 12. (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=31616)

RedstickSooner
8/23/2007, 12:29 PM
Er....

Guess I'm in the minority here. I'm glad Bradford won the job - because he seems the better QB. Has since Spring.

But, now that he has, the only way Nichol sees playing time is if somebody gets hurt. I mean, c'mon - Stoops isn't going to start Nichol next year *over* a Bradford with a full year of experience. Not unless Bradford truly sucks arse. Starting QB keeps his job 'round here, up until the day he loses eligibility, or the game where he plays so bad there's simply no way to explain his presence on the field.

We also have some kinda all-world guy coming in for next year's class, yeah? So when that happens, we'll suddenly have *another* dude with loooooads of tools and upside... Who also happens to have more eligibility. It'd be kinda silly of the coaches to groom Nichol for, what, 1 year of starting time?

Odds are, like I said, Nichol is riding pine & handling clean-up, barring injury. 'Course, injury seems to hit every other year to our starting QB... So I sure as heck hope Nichol doesn't mind those odds. In all likelihood, he's gonna get his time to shine. He just isn't going to get it without someone else suffering a little bad luck in the process.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong -- feel free to tell me the error of my ways :)

Landthief 1972
8/23/2007, 03:13 PM
Redstick... I would agree except for the fact that Stoops has already shown he's not afraid to switch QBs in midstream. Exhibit A: Hybl and White. Some kids come into the actual game and play much better there than in practice, and vice versa.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/23/2007, 03:45 PM
good point.

oumartin
8/23/2007, 03:52 PM
i love the sl*t and BJ post

jrsooner
8/23/2007, 04:13 PM
Well Sam is a "sophomore" this year, and can go to the draft next year. :) That leaves us just Nichol and the newbie. I have a good feeling about Nichol, he seems to have his head on right, and so does his family. It's just a matter of time before I see both of these guys get a chance to play. :)

LoyalFan
8/23/2007, 04:47 PM
U-M fans generally don't have much (if any) respect for OU because U-M wins the "right way" and OU doesn't. Laughable, I know, but that's the perception. Boomer Sooner!

Might have something to do with this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yR0Q-dMj9g

LF

stoopified
8/23/2007, 06:16 PM
Recruiting is a way to help pass the offseason but I don't take it seriously because in the end its a crap-shoot.

goingoneight
8/23/2007, 07:30 PM
I love how they think they're in the know about Josh Heupel and Nichol's recruiting process. :D
"Heupel lied and said the job was basically Keith's to lose..."

Uh... no. Top programs have more than one guy who can complete a pass on campus, Sparky.

Here's how it goes and should go:

Josh: Hey Keith, come here and compete for a starting position on the winningest team of the new era. Have a shot at a National Title or two. Win big, be on TV every week.

MSU dood: Yeah... errrr... GO SPARTANS, BLEED GREEN AND... what's our colors again? We might win three games next year!!! Who needs TV and championships anyway? Oh, yeah... about that coach who recruited you... yeah, he's been canned.

Keith: Wow, tough decision. :rolleyes:

sooneron
8/23/2007, 08:41 PM
Well Sam is a "sophomore" this year, and can go to the draft next year. :)
:confused: