PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tells Europe to F-Off

SicEmBaylor
8/22/2007, 09:37 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6957390.stm

Texas rejects EU executions plea
Johnny Ray Conner (AP Photo/Texas Department of Criminal Justice)
More than 1,000 people have been executed in the US since 1976
Texas has told the European Union to mind its own business after the bloc called on the state's governor to get rid of the death penalty.

The EU expressed "great regret" at Texas' preparations to carry out its 400th death penalty and renewed its call to the US to halt executions.

Johnny Ray Conner, 32, will be executed on Wednesday for the 1998 fatal shooting of a grocery store clerk.

But Governor Rick Perry insisted it was a "just and appropriate" punishment.

He was responding robustly to the EU's denunciation of judicial killings as "cruel and inhumane".

The statement from the Portuguese presidency of the 27-nation bloc said: "The European Union strongly urges Governor Rick Perry to exercise all powers vested in his office to halt all upcoming executions and to consider the introduction of a moratorium in the state of Texas."

Texas Governor Rick Perry on 9 July 2007
Texans long ago decided the death penalty is a just and appropriate punishment for the most horrible crimes committed against our citizens
Governor's spokesman

It continued: "There is no evidence to suggest that the use of the death penalty serves as a deterrent against violent crime and the irreversibility of the punishment means that miscarriages of justice, which are inevitable in all legal systems, cannot be redressed."

But Robert Black, a spokesman for the Texas governor, told the BBC News website: "Two hundred and thirty years ago, our forefathers fought a war to throw off the yoke of a European monarch and gain the freedom of self-determination.

"Texans long ago decided the death penalty is a just and appropriate punishment for the most horrible crimes committed against our citizens.

"While we respect our friends in Europe ... Texans are doing just fine governing Texas."

According to the Washington-based Death Penalty Information Center, 1,090 executions have taken place in the US since the Supreme Court lifted a ban on capital punishment in 1976.

Texas has carried out more than a third of those.

This pleases me.

CatfishSooner
8/22/2007, 09:41 PM
haha. God Bless America.

Jerk
8/22/2007, 09:48 PM
Nice.

Don't you just love the Euros? Several genocides & 2 major world wars within the last 100 years, inbred monarchs, social programs which will not be able to sustain themselves, and a large and growing radical islamic immigrant population...and they know what's best for us.

Let's turn prisons into miserable places for inmates where they turn big rocks into little rocks 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, with no weight rooms, cable TV, etc, and then we'll talk about ending the death penalty.

ps- and we're not driving those stupid little cars the size of a cardboard box, either.

America - F*ck yeah!

OUinFLA
8/22/2007, 09:51 PM
"There is no evidence to suggest that the use of the death penalty serves as a deterrent against violent crime

well, the executee won't be performing any more violent crimes.

SoonerDood
8/22/2007, 09:52 PM
Does the Monroe Doctrine not exist? Or has it gone the way of the Geneva Convention? In that we (the USA) are the only ones who abide by it, yet we get called out when we don't.

LosAngelesSooner
8/22/2007, 10:07 PM
Don't you just love the Euros? Several genocides & 2 major world wars within the last 100 years, inbred monarchs In fairness we almost completely wiped out millions of indiginous people here in North America in what some consider the greatest genocide in known history, killed millions over slavery AND enslaved an entire race, then separated them from the rest of society because they were "less than" the rest of us.

Glass houses...I'm just sayin'.

social programs which will not be able to sustain themselves, This is debatable and, as of yet, unproven.

However, Europe needs to STFU and take care of itself, regardless of whether Texas is in the right or in the wrong. (IMHO)

Vaevictis
8/22/2007, 10:14 PM
Does the Monroe Doctrine not exist? Or has it gone the way of the Geneva Convention? In that we (the USA) are the only ones who abide by it, yet we get called out when we don't.

Uh. The Monroe Doctrine never had any more power than whatever force we were willing to bring to bear. Nobody agreed to it, we simply declared it.

SicEmBaylor
8/22/2007, 10:15 PM
Uh. The Monroe Doctrine never had any more power than whatever force we were willing to bring to bear. Nobody agreed to it, we simply declared it.

ACTUALLY, spek if you can tell me whose idea it really was.

usmc-sooner
8/22/2007, 10:18 PM
In fairness we almost completely wiped out millions of indiginous people here in North America in what some consider the greatest genocide in known history, killed millions over slavery AND enslaved an entire race, then separated them from the rest of society because they were "less than" the rest of us.

Glass houses...I'm just sayin'.

This is debatable and, as of yet, unproven.

However, Europe needs to STFU and take care of itself, regardless of whether Texas is in the right or in the wrong. (IMHO)

I've heard farts with more intelligence.

Vaevictis
8/22/2007, 10:19 PM

I couldn't tell you without looking it up.

Dio
8/22/2007, 10:21 PM

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3239/monroetu7.jpg

SicEmBaylor
8/22/2007, 10:33 PM
I couldn't tell you without looking it up.
The British.

TMcGee86
8/22/2007, 10:39 PM
This is an interesting quote:

"There is no evidence to suggest that the use of the death penalty serves as a deterrent against violent crime..."

A very precise way to put it, because it is basically a worthless statement. It automatically infers there is likewise no evidence to suggest the use of the death penalty doesn't serve as a deterrent. Otherwise they would have avoided the passive quote and gone with the active quote. Instead they simply throw out a half-truth instead of saying we have no idea either way.

LosAngelesSooner
8/22/2007, 10:41 PM
Well, logically it's impossible to prove a negative. (meaning you can't prove that something "doesn't exist") Numerically there may be no decrease or increase in murders...that doesn't mean that somebody or several somebodies didn't decide to NOT commit a crime based on the potential punishment they may receive if they are caught and convicted.

Harry Beanbag
8/22/2007, 10:54 PM
I don't care if it's a deterrent or not...it's punishment.

Vaevictis
8/22/2007, 10:57 PM
For me, it's not even punishment. Simple question: You'd put down a mad dog, right? Why not a mad human?

LosAngelesSooner
8/22/2007, 11:04 PM
For me, it's not even punishment. Simple question: You'd put down a mad dog, right? Why not a mad human?
Humans have souls?

Just goin' out on a limb, here.

Harry Beanbag
8/22/2007, 11:22 PM

Does everyone on Death Row have rabies?

usmc-sooner
8/22/2007, 11:36 PM
Humans have souls?

humans have ignore lists and get banned on message boards

NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

CatfishSooner
8/22/2007, 11:40 PM
Dogs have souls too! Just ask Mr. Vick.

Vaevictis
8/22/2007, 11:40 PM
Humans have souls?

shrug, if someone does something bad enough for me to classify them as a "mad dog", I don't even consider them to be human anymore. Genetically, sure, but not in the sense that I think they have humanity (which is what is worth preserving, IMO).

Does everyone on Death Row have rabies?

No, but the ones I think should be on death row often act like it, and will almost certainly continue to do so no matter what anyone does.

(which is to say, I don't think that the death penalty makes sense as punishment. I think that it should be reserved for the irredeemable.)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/22/2007, 11:51 PM
However, Europe needs to STFU and take care of itself, regardless of whether Texas is in the right or in the wrong. (IMHO)Occasionally, you do just fine.

LosAngelesSooner
8/22/2007, 11:57 PM
shrug, if someone does something bad enough for me to classify them as a "mad dog", I don't even consider them to be human anymore. Genetically, sure, but not in the sense that I think they have humanity (which is what is worth preserving, IMO).

No, but the ones I think should be on death row often act like it, and will almost certainly continue to do so no matter what anyone does.

(which is to say, I don't think that the death penalty makes sense as punishment. I think that it should be reserved for the irredeemable.)
Just curious, but do you consider yourself a Christian?

Also, similarly, is the soul of one person valued more than another persons? And if so, is it right for us to make that judgment?

Vaevictis
8/23/2007, 12:08 AM

No.

Also, similarly, is the soul of one person valued more than another persons?

Generally? No. But in some cases, sure? There are some people out there who choose to do truly monstrous, inhuman things, and I place no value on their lives or souls.

And if so, is it right for us to make that judgment?

That's a tough question. But I believe that there is a certain class of people who are so evil, so monstrous, so inhuman that it is wrong for us not to. And these are the people that we should apply the death penalty to.

LosAngelesSooner
8/23/2007, 12:12 AM
Fair enough. :)

You and I don't have the same personal philosophies (well, not entirely) but at least you are consistent and not hypocritical, so I really can't argue with you one bit.

yermom
8/23/2007, 03:22 AM
i'm with Vaevictus, on the "mad dog" thing, i think

it's like, why is a retard that murdered someone spared? so they didn't know what they were doing, are they going to at some point learn right from wrong? same goes for someone "insane"

my main issue with the death penalty is money. it cost more to execute someone than it does to lock them up forever due to the appeals process, which i think is needed. i don't mind murderers being killed for their crimes, as long as they are actually guilty ;)

Harry Beanbag
8/23/2007, 08:09 AM
How would one know they were being unprovokingly attacked by someone on their ignore list? Interesting approach though, however childlike it may be, if another poster calls your bluff on an especially idiotic post just pretend like you can't read it. Genius. :rolleyes:

Taxman71
8/23/2007, 08:53 AM
The only problem with the death penalty is the appeals process and the time it takes to complete.

TMcGee86
8/23/2007, 11:11 AM
Well, logically it's impossible to prove a negative. (meaning you can't prove that something "doesn't exist") Numerically there may be no decrease or increase in murders...that doesn't mean that somebody or several somebodies didn't decide to NOT commit a crime based on the potential punishment they may receive if they are caught and convicted.

True, which is why it's stupid that they used that quote.

If they had any evidence they would have said "There is tons of evidence that the death penalty does not serve as a deterrent."

However, I would imagine that most of the times they ask these idiots if they felt it was a deterrent and they said something along the lines of "I didn't even think of it one way or the other."

So like i said, they use that quote to make it look like there is some evidence when in fact, it's a fancy way of saying we have no idea either way.

royalfan5
8/23/2007, 11:22 AM
I saw we teach them both a lesson, and give Texas to Europe.

sooner n houston
8/23/2007, 11:24 AM
Hey LAS, just curious, do you consider yourself a Christian? Or are you the same kind of a Christian that you are a Republican? Or are you one of those wonderful none Christians that thinks they know what every Christian should think and say?

TIA!

RacerX
8/23/2007, 01:48 PM
The only problem with the death penalty is the appeals process and the time it takes to complete.

People like Joyce Gilchrist would be another. There is more than one problem.

yermom
8/23/2007, 01:53 PM
People like Joyce Gilchrist would be another. There is more than one problem.

lol

http://ccadp.org/killerkeating.gif

http://ccadp.org/killerkeating.htm

LosAngelesSooner
8/23/2007, 01:59 PM
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=6&did=110

http://www.the-tidings.com/2007/022307/deathrow.htm

http://www.ccadp.org/free-life.htm

I think these people also ARE a problem and HAVE a problem with the death penalty.

There's a lotta gray area on this debate. I find myself being pro-death penalty, but as long as there are bad cops out there and shoddy investigations...it just makes it harder to support 100%.

TexasLidig8r
8/23/2007, 02:04 PM
I loved the episode of Boston Legal where Alan Shore is attempting to argue for a stay of execution before the Court of Criminal Appeals in Texas.

As for Yurp, well....

**** off dip****!!!

:D

Edmond Sooner
8/23/2007, 02:25 PM

Also, similarly, is the soul of one person valued more than another persons? And if so, is it right for us to make that judgment?

Well, the death penalty, as instituted and carried out as a moral necessity in the West for almost two thousand years or so, was never about "deterrence" or "punishment" or any of that other happy horsecrap, either. Then the twentieth century came along--which is another topic altogether.

Rather it was about something altogether different: getting the offender in front of the only power that was seen as having the ability to properly adjudicate his crime, to wit, God.

Regardless, the death penalty, as long as the duly convicted is fairly tried and truly guilty, is an appropriate punishment for premeditated murder and treason. And Europe should bugger the **** off.

On edit: deleted snark.

LosAngelesSooner
8/23/2007, 02:32 PM
Well, the death penalty, as instituted and carried out as a moral necessity in the West for almost two thousand years or so, was never about "deterrence" or "punishment" or any of that other happy horsecrap, either. Then the twentieth century came along--which is another topic altogether.

Rather it was about something altogether different: getting the offender in front of the only power that was seen as having the ability to properly adjudicate his crime, to wit, God.

Regardless, the death penalty, as long as the duly convicted is fairly tried and truly guilty, is an appropriate punishment for premeditated murder and treason. And Europe should bugger the **** off. Fair enough. Although the "get them in front of God" argument is pretty scary, IMHO.

The problem is your italiscized last statement. One which, I don't think, most of us would aruge with. The problem is how often people are UNfairly tried and NOT truly guilty. We've gotta raise our homerun rate and lower the errors. And some would argue that, as long as there is a chance an innocent man COULD be convicted, then the death penalty would be immoral.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Edit: Solidarity. ;)

soonerscuba
8/23/2007, 02:35 PM
I don't support the death penalty for the fact that there is no recourse for mistakes made. You can release a man from prison, death, not so much, unless it's in zombie form, then I fully support the death penalty as a byproduct of my pro-zombie agenda.

Edmond Sooner
8/23/2007, 02:38 PM
Dude...was that really necessary? (shakes head)

You're right: it was sheer snark. I've edited my post accordingly.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/23/2007, 02:45 PM
lol

http://ccadp.org/killerkeating.gif

http://ccadp.org/killerkeating.htmSo, you are also anti-abortion, because it dispatches the innocent?

LosAngelesSooner
8/23/2007, 03:37 PM
You're right: it was sheer snark. I've edited my post accordingly.
Ditto. :)

colleyvillesooner
8/23/2007, 03:39 PM
woah! What did I miss in here!

Veritas for one!

yermom
8/23/2007, 07:06 PM
So, you are also anti-abortion, because it dispatches the innocent?

the "lol" was for the crazy image, but i wasn't really a fan of Keating

as for your question, yes. thanks for playing.

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2007, 07:17 PM
I adored Keating.

oumartin
8/23/2007, 07:55 PM
this thread is worthless without pics..

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2007, 07:57 PM
this thread is worthless without pics..
http://www.jamestown.org/images/photos/GovKeating.jpg

oumartin
8/23/2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks SicEm! ;)

Oh and I love the death penalty and believe we are far to humane when we do it...

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks SicEm! ;)

Oh and I love the death penalty and believe we are far to humane when we do it...
No prob, I do what I can. Also, I agree with the above statement.

SoonerBorn68
8/23/2007, 08:13 PM
Maybe we should deport all our death row prisoners to Europe. :)

Sooner98
8/23/2007, 08:17 PM
In July, China executed the director of its Food and Drug Administration for corruption, following the discovery that many of its exports were tainted with deadly chemicals. He was executed ONE MONTH after he was tried. Now, that's what I call some swift and severe punishment!

Why again isn't Europe calling out the Chinese, instead of us?

oumartin
8/23/2007, 08:21 PM
yep, send em all to the chair!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1058/1217686265_5001535f77_o.jpg