PDA

View Full Version : The wheels haven't fallen off but . . .

Jacie
8/22/2007, 08:05 PM
. . . someone scratched the paint! Just when a program (West Virginia) starts to reach respectability (Preseason ranking = 5) stuff happens.

2 West Virginia players suspended after being arrested for receiving stolen property

August 21, 2007

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-t25-westvirginia-arrests&prov=ap&type=lgns

One of the two is a juco transfer brought in to shore up the secondary, "which ranked among the worst in the nation a year ago" and the other is a redshirt freshman competing for a linebacker spot.

goingoneight
8/22/2007, 08:39 PM
Unfortunately, they're a few bad eggs in a great program. Hopefully the kids and the officials get them straightened out.
I look at this the same way as I do when Bomar and Quinn got kicked off the team. Nevermind we had an academic All-American, a great story in Paul Thompson, a coach who did the right thing, great character guys like Reggie Smith and Jacob Gutierrez among several other kids just trying to get through school and enjoy being a part of a great football program... let's point to what one or two bad eggs messed up and consider the program "dirt."

Rogue
8/22/2007, 08:43 PM
Well they were fortunate to keep Rich Rodriguez and have a high powered offense returning so they'll be OK.

Stitch Face
8/22/2007, 09:12 PM
Studies show a certain percentage of teenage boys are screw-ups. College sports teams, if you look closely, have a high concentration of teenage boys (especially among the freshmen.) It's some sort of statistical thing. Let's hope our team never encounters such a screw-up. We could get unwanted media attention.

insuranceman_22
8/22/2007, 11:58 PM
Amen stitch!

Will
8/23/2007, 12:53 AM
Well they were fortunate to keep Rich Rodriguez and have a high powered offense returning so they'll be OK.

Well Said

goingoneight
8/23/2007, 01:03 AM
Studies show a certain percentage of teenage boys are screw-ups. College sports teams, if you look closely, have a high concentration of teenage boys (especially among the freshmen).

So do the sophomores get secks changes? :confused:

Jewstin
8/23/2007, 02:06 AM
West Virginia has a frightening tandem in Pat White and Steve Slaton. I remember looking at the rosters and noticing they were only sophomores last year (or perhaps it was the year before).

I hope to god we don't play 'em in the National Championship when we get there. ;)

boomersooner28
8/23/2007, 04:17 AM
Is Pat White not 112 years old...geez, seems like he's been there forever. Get a degree already. :texan:

snp
8/23/2007, 08:45 AM
They've also signed Pat Lazear and Noel Devine - 2 kids that you can bet some safe money will cause some trouble pretty soon.

Lazear had to play his senior year with an ankle monitor on.

birddog
8/23/2007, 09:14 AM
pacman jones and chris henry haven't exactly been model citizens since leaving there.

NormanPride
8/23/2007, 09:49 AM
http://www.funnyhub.com/pictures/img/burning-couch.jpg

fadada1
8/23/2007, 10:04 AM
....and have a high powered offense returning so they'll be OK.
just like osu.

Jacie
8/23/2007, 10:56 AM
The point here is not that WVU is the only school to have players run afoul of the law. Heck, if I were compiling a police blotter just from current events (ie. all within the last week) it would include players from these schools:

UTEP
Alabama
Michigan
Penn State
Iowa
Notre Dame
Duke
Kansas State

In addition, UConn suspended a couple of guys this week for breaking team rules and of course, earlier this summer a saxet player was in the news for the wrong reasons.

No, I brought up WVU because they are touted as a contender for the MNC. Last season the Mountaineer offense was what carried them to an 11-2 overall record (5-2 conference) but they surrendered almost 27 ppg in conference play. Improving the defense could be what they need to do to win the Big East. So where are they having discipline problems? Where they can least afford it, with the defense.

oumartin
8/23/2007, 12:16 PM
renegade program. oh wait, thats what they call OU

stoopified
8/23/2007, 06:05 PM
Ask not for whom the siren wails....