PDA

View Full Version : Ou/Texass Weekend With an RV

soonernation
8/22/2007, 10:20 AM
Have any of you hillbillies ever taken your RV to Dallas during that weekend? If so where did you stay and how where the accommodations?

85sooners
8/22/2007, 10:57 AM
:texan:

CatfishSooner
8/22/2007, 11:04 AM
You can stay at the State Fair.

soonernation
8/22/2007, 11:13 AM
You can stay at the State Fair.

Do you have any info?

freshchris05
8/22/2007, 11:29 AM
:pop:...waiting for the Robin Williams Fark...:pop:

OKLA21FAN
8/22/2007, 11:33 AM
Fair Park has an area (secured too) for RVs.

call fair park, or look them up online.

it think it is about 20 to 25 bucks a night.

if you have ever RVed at a game it is quite a bit of fun and the OU and TEXAS RVers as a whole get along pretty well.

SoonerRecon
8/22/2007, 01:35 PM
fair park is a good time, and the RV fans got along better than the rest of the crowds. you'll need to get there on Friday.

soonernation
8/22/2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the info about the fair park camping. I gave them a call and checked it out. There are no hook ups for power, water and sewer. With the wife going with me I need those things. I'm looking for a rv campground within 30 miles of fair park.

BermudaSooner
8/22/2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the info about the fair park camping. I gave them a call and checked it out. There are no hook ups for power, water and sewer. With the wife going with me I need those things. I'm looking for a rv campground within 30 miles of fair park.

I think they are all concentrated around Austin. You can definitely get a sewer hook-up there.

85sooners
8/22/2007, 03:02 PM
:D

SeattleOUstudent
8/22/2007, 03:05 PM
Hey Hillbillies, we actually have Hotel rooms here in Dallas now!

Dont be confused by our trees and hills either!:texan:

meoveryouxinfinity
8/22/2007, 03:35 PM

LOL hills.."bumps in the road"... "rolling highways".. "really small, smooth, hilly mountains"

SoonerRecon
8/22/2007, 03:55 PM

use the porta potty, and bring a generator or power converter, solved.

goingoneight
8/22/2007, 04:19 PM
I agree that the RV area at the fair is teh awesome. I actually got a little game of two-touch football in with the fellow OU fans against the Texas fans last year on Friday before the big crowds began to show up. Everyone is usually cool there because they don't want their expensive toys vandalized by angry fans. :D
I even got a sympathy beer after the game was over. :O

soonernation
8/22/2007, 04:20 PM
use the porta potty, and bring a generator or power converter, solved.

I have no problem with that. The problem is the wife. I can fill the fresh water tank up and be good for 4-5 days even with the use of the shower. I've tried dry camping with the wife and the waste tanks seem to fill up in one day.

soonernation
8/22/2007, 04:23 PM

The hotels are probably going to run around 125-200 dollars. I can find a nice campground within 20 miles of fair park for 28 dollars a night. Plus I get to use my linens, my shower and my ****er.

Phantasm
8/22/2007, 09:19 PM
I have no problem with that. The problem is the wife. I can fill the fresh water tank up and be good for 4-5 days even with the use of the shower. I've tried dry camping with the wife and the waste tanks seem to fill up in one day.

We dry camp quite a bit at NASCAR races, so we've become somewhat adept at conserving fresh water and reducing the grey water.

Some of the water saving ideas are:
1 - Take "Navy" showers.
2 - Collect the water from the shower, while waiting to get the temp. where you want it.
3 - Use disposable plates, cups, utensils. For cooking - wipe out/off your cooking utensils/pans (should really be grilling).
4 - You can use the porta johns, rather than the RV crapper.
5 - When brushing your teeth, use a single 1/2 cup of water - don't leave the water running.
6- Bring bottled water for drinking/cooking.
7 - Dump as much collected water into the black tank, instead of the gray tank.

I don't know what the capacities of your fresh water, black water, and gray water tanks in your RV, but we can easily handle four adults for the entire weekend - Friday through Monday morning (with daily showers) on a 150 gal. fresh water tank and 65 gal. gray tank - the black tank has never been an issue.

Try practicing a couple of weekends before the game - it really is easy! AND, staying on the fairgrounds will be much better and greater experience, than staying at a RV park!

IndianJack
8/22/2007, 09:37 PM
Merry Christmas.

SH!ITTER'S FULL!

soonernation
8/22/2007, 09:42 PM
We dry camp quite a bit at NASCAR races, so we've become somewhat adept at conserving fresh water and reducing the grey water.

Some of the water saving ideas are:
1 - Take "Navy" showers.
2 - Collect the water from the shower, while waiting to get the temp. where you want it.
3 - Use disposable plates, cups, utensils. For cooking - wipe out/off your cooking utensils/pans (should really be grilling).
4 - You can use the porta johns, rather than the RV crapper.
5 - When brushing your teeth, use a single 1/2 cup of water - don't leave the water running.
6- Bring bottled water for drinking/cooking.
7 - Dump as much collected water into the black tank, instead of the gray tank.

I don't know what the capacities of your fresh water, black water, and gray water tanks in your RV, but we can easily handle four adults for the entire weekend - Friday through Monday morning (with daily showers) on a 150 gal. fresh water tank and 65 gal. gray tank - the black tank has never been an issue.

Try practicing a couple of weekends before the game - it really is easy! AND, staying on the fairgrounds will be much better and greater experience, than staying at a RV park!

Thanks for the input. I've been dry camping a few time at Texas Motor Speedway with no problems (without the wife). The only time I have a problem dry camping is when the family comes. My wife has yet to grab the concept of a "Navy Shower" and my kid thinks it's cool to look down the crapper while she's flushing while the waters running.

My fresh water tank is around 60 gallons and my black and gray water tanks are around 25-30 each. You must have a big rig to have a 150 gallon fresh water tank.

Phantasm
8/22/2007, 09:57 PM
Yea, it took the dw some time to figure out how to save the water....

While RVing, we've noticed most of the women always wear hats, scarves, or something to cover their hair - now I know why! Boondocking, I guess, takes its toll on the hair thing!

You can check to see if the fairgrounds has water and honey wagon services - that could take some of the pressure off the water issues!

goingoneight
8/22/2007, 11:22 PM
What OSU loss? Is that possible? :confused:

Phantasm
8/23/2007, 10:13 AM
What OSU loss? Is that possible? :confused:

We all know OSU will lose BIG when then vist Norman in November, that we shouldn't even consider it the "OSU game," but rather the "OSU loss."