PDA

View Full Version : The captains have been selected...

goingoneight
8/21/2007, 08:23 PM
And I couldn't agree more (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082107aab.html)

AP
JJF
Gute
Lewis Baker
Marcus Walker

Sooners Choose Captains
Team picks five seniors

Aug. 21, 2007

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops said Tuesday that Sooner players have selected five captains for the 2007 season.

The honor went to Joe Jon Finley, Allen Patrick, Lewis Baker, Marcus Walker and Jacob Gutierrez.

Finley, a tight end, and Patrick, a running back, will represent the offense. Baker, a linebacker, and Walker, a cornerback, will represent the defense, while Gutierrez, a running back, represents the special teams.

All five are seniors.

"Those guys have been awesome leaders," Stoops said. "Their teammates appreciate the example they have set."

The captains were chosen in a team vote.

Tuesday Post Practice Notes

* After announcing earlier in the day that Sam Bradford is the team's starting quarterback, OU coaches said that Joey Halzle and Keith Nichol are sharing the second team repetitions.

* Stoops said Allen Patrick is yet to return from a sprained ankle, but expects him back soon. "He gets better every day," Stoops added.

* Linebacker Curtis Lofton, the only team member from flood-ravaged Kingfisher, Okla., said his immediate family escaped the recent disaster Lofton said the water was, "within a half-block of my grandmother's house." The junior was saddened that the homes of two friends and the church he attends sustained significant damage.

* Stoops said that he had decided to cancel the scrimmage originally planned for Wednesday and said it was unlikely that the team would go through another full-scale scrimmage.

tulsaoilerfan
8/21/2007, 08:42 PM
I would love to see a huge year from Baker; kid stuck it out when so many of his defensive peers from his class are no longer around and has moved around from position to position with no public complaints; he's this year's Paul Thompson IMO

King Crimson
8/21/2007, 08:44 PM
happy for Gutierrez, would LOVE to see a big year out of Joe Jon.

birddog
8/21/2007, 08:46 PM
that's good news. gute gets lost in the shuffle with all the rb's we have but he's still a leader on and off the field. good job gute!!

CatfishSooner
8/21/2007, 08:49 PM
Thats a great group of captains IMO!

yermom
8/22/2007, 11:51 AM
good to see Gute in there, he's busted his *** on special teams and been there when we needed him on offense

i hope JJF has a good year. "no drama"

DoubleDown
8/22/2007, 12:48 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb a predict Gute will also come away as this year's "Don Key Award" winner.

deeyung0
8/22/2007, 01:35 PM
i'm not too happy about lewis baker being a captain...

birddog
8/22/2007, 02:33 PM
i'm not too happy about lewis baker being a captain...

why?

goingoneight
8/22/2007, 04:23 PM
Lewis Baker is severely underrated. Everyone is always blaming him for the Hook-and-lateral when the corners and safeties are the ones who bit the dust. He's the meanest hitter returning on OUr team, on defense and special teams and is a very vocal leader of his unit. He's been praised by his peers and coaches and has been nothing but a positive influence since he arrived on the field. My $.02, they couldn't have selcted anyone better.

yermom
8/22/2007, 04:27 PM
i'm not so sure about the meanest hitter on ST

Gute and AP were bringing it last year, especially AP (AOC)

Widescreen
8/22/2007, 04:40 PM
Congrats to all the guys.

Stoops said Allen Patrick is yet to return from a sprained ankle, but expects him back soon. "He gets better every day," Stoops added.
Sweet! AP must be off life support.

goingoneight
8/22/2007, 05:51 PM
Congrats to all the guys.

Sweet! AP must be off life support.

He only has to carry around "the bag" for three more weeks. :D

josh09
8/22/2007, 11:29 PM
Im glad Gute got in there.