PDA

View Full Version : Need idea from guitar possessors of knowledge

Widescreen
8/21/2007, 05:03 PM
My daughter wants to learn how to play the guitar. I just ordered an acoustic guitar for her because mine is too difficult to play. I personally know a bunch of chords and stuff but that's pretty much it. Can someone recommend a good instructional video series for a beginner on acoustic guitar - preferably one that doesn't break the bank? I suspect she and I will just go through the instruction together. Thanks.

soonerinabilene
8/21/2007, 05:08 PM
The complete idiots guide to the guitar. And this is not being sarcastic. Also, if you have a guitar world or hastings close to you, hit them up. There is a ton of beginning dvd's and software out there.

soonerinabilene
8/21/2007, 05:09 PM
And, in all seriousness, the esteban stuff aint that bad for beginners.

rufnek05
8/21/2007, 05:22 PM
guitar world is your friend. so was mars music up on memorial, but they are gone now.

TMcGee86
8/21/2007, 05:35 PM
E-media Guitar method.

pretty sweet cd-rom for beginners.

HskrGrl
8/21/2007, 06:29 PM
My son just got a guitar at Target for $35 for his birthday (stop laughing he's 7!) It came with these little card things that you stick behind the strings to show you where to put your fingers for each cord. I'm not a guitar person... the only musical instruments I ever played were piano and clarinet.

sanantoniosooner
8/21/2007, 06:34 PM
My son just got a guitar at Target for $35 for his birthday (stop laughing he's 7!)
And you claim to love your child?

King Crimson
8/21/2007, 06:42 PM
if CC Deville's name ain't on it, it ain't guitar

sooneron
8/21/2007, 07:14 PM
peem me your e-mail addy

slickdawg
8/21/2007, 07:43 PM
Fender Strat Plus with lace pickups is your best bet.

HskrGrl
8/21/2007, 08:57 PM
And you claim to love your child?

:D We took him to the Target toy isle and told him he had $35 to spend(money he had from his b-day). He picked out the guitar on his own. I tried to talk him into the Fantastic 4 car/plane thing. He really wanted the guitar. If he ends up really getting into it maybe we'll get him a nice one for Christmas.

phead903
8/21/2007, 08:59 PM
:D We took him to the Target toy isle and told him he had $35 to spend(money he had from his b-day). He picked out the guitar on his own. I tried to talk him into the Fantastic 4 car/plane thing. He really wanted the guitar. If he ends up really getting into it maybe we'll get him a nice one for Christmas.

A nice Guitar or a nice Fantastic 4 car/plane thing?:D

critical_phil
8/21/2007, 09:00 PM
if CC Deville's name ain't on it, it ain't guitar

this post makes Snake Sabo cry.

HskrGrl
8/21/2007, 09:02 PM
A nice Guitar or a nice Fantastic 4 car/plane thing?:D

He sits on the couch with his guitar running the pick up and down on the strings singing "Ya ya ya I wanna be a rockstar." :O

phead903
8/21/2007, 09:04 PM
He sits on the couch with his guitar running the pick up and down on the strings singing "Ya ya ya I wanna be a rockstar." :O

QUICK - Post him on You Tube and become rich and famous!!!

Widescreen
8/21/2007, 09:32 PM
I'm still waiting for c_p to chime in with a real answer since he seems to think he's a guitar hero or something. Come on, man. Bring it.

critical_phil
8/21/2007, 10:25 PM
I'm still waiting for c_p to chime in with a real answer since he seems to think he's a guitar hero or something. Come on, man. Bring it.

you have no idea who Snake Sabo is, do you???

and i posted info about lessons via cox cable a couple of weeks ago. like most of the threads i start, no one cares.

TheBobbyTrain
8/21/2007, 11:21 PM
the absolute best way to learn guitar is to shell out the money for some lessons with a good teacher. you'll learn a whole lot more and play better faster as a result. money well spent if you ask me. as for your guitar being too hard to play, maybe you should get it set up and have the action lowered, or look into getting it plek'd ( www.plek.com for an idea of what it is) Also notice that there is a plek machine in Norman that can fix the playability of that guitar of yours

OCUDad
8/21/2007, 11:21 PM
you have no idea who Snake Sabo is, do you???Escape From New York? :rolleyes:

King Crimson
8/21/2007, 11:58 PM
you have no idea who Snake Sabo is, do you???

and i posted info about lessons via cox cable a couple of weeks ago. like most of the threads i start, no one cares.

I remember that thread. rock on _phil

Widescreen
8/22/2007, 08:21 AM
as for your guitar being too hard to play, maybe you should get it set up and have the action lowered, or look into getting it plek'd ( www.plek.com for an idea of what it is) Also notice that there is a plek machine in Norman that can fix the playability of that guitar of yours
What is involved in setting up a guitar? Do all guitar shops do this and how much would it cost? If it's expensive, I'd just as soon get a cheap but more playable new guitar.