PDA

View Full Version : New roof time.

OUDoc
8/21/2007, 01:11 PM
So, we found 4 leaks after the heavy rains this weekend. We knew we needed a new roof anyway (this one's about 14 years old and in bad shape). Anything I should be looking for in a replacement roof? All the estimates so far seem to include a 30 year roof, a few even recommended installing 4 vents where we only have 2 now. Anything else?

IB4OU2
8/21/2007, 01:17 PM
Call your insurance company.

OUDoc
8/21/2007, 01:25 PM
We've only been there 2 1/2 years. They pro-rated the roof to the "we won't pay a dime once you pay your deductible" limit. Little to no help there.

Beef
8/21/2007, 01:35 PM
Invest in some good kneepads, doc. And sunscreen.

OUDoc
8/21/2007, 01:37 PM
Invest in some good kneepads, doc. And sunscreen.
Where are you taking me?

royalfan5
8/21/2007, 01:37 PM
Why not just burn the whole thing down and start from scratch? Today the roof, tomorrow the floor, and the day after that the walls. It's to far gone already, you might as well just let it go.

Oldnslo
8/21/2007, 01:38 PM
1. I'm curious about your insurance company's decisions regarding your current roof. Call me or any other attorney familiar with insurance issues.

2. Have the roofer show proof of workers' comp insurance.

3. The roofing company should also be bonded.

Your insurance agent may be able to suggest a good roofing company.

OU4LIFE
8/21/2007, 01:39 PM
Where are you taking me?

neverland ranch.

1stTimeCaller
8/21/2007, 01:41 PM
Get one that is full of asphalt and felt.

How long are you going to be there?

Metal roofs have a lifetime warranty, I think. You can get them to look like shake or shingles. I don't think hail damage will be covered though.

If you are getting asphalt shingles make sure you go with a heavy felt underneath. OUAndy or SAS could probably tell you what pound of felt to get.

OUDoc
8/21/2007, 02:10 PM
One dude quoted 30 lb felt paper. Don't know if that's good or bad.

oumartin
8/21/2007, 02:18 PM
the metal roof is at least twice the price of a 30 year heritage shingle installed. If you plan to retire in that home it might be worth is.

OUDoc
8/21/2007, 02:20 PM
And that the price of shingles will possibly be going up in the next few months, yippee.:rolleyes:

sooner n houston
8/21/2007, 02:21 PM
Doc,

I had to argue with my insurance company for 3 months to get them to pay. My shingles were 20 yr shingles and had been on my roof for 30 years. They finally ponnied up a smooth 13k!

sooner n houston
8/21/2007, 02:23 PM
the metal roof is at least twice the price of a 30 year heritage shingle installed. If you plan to retire in that home it might be worth is.

Don't think that is true. Metal roof's are much easier to install therefore your labor cost is way lower making them much closer in price.

oumartin
8/21/2007, 02:27 PM
I had my roof replaced last year. 30 year heritage installed 7,000. Metal roof 15,000 installed

OUDoc
8/21/2007, 02:27 PM
Doc,

I had to argue with my insurance company for 3 months to get them to pay. My shingles were 20 yr shingles and had been on my roof for 30 years. They finally ponnied up a smooth 13k!
The only thing is, we knew up front that the insurance wasn't going to pay much, if any, for the roof when we bought the house. They, and the inspector we hired, said the roof would need to be replaced in the next 5 years (2 1/2 years ago). So, I don't know if I have a leg to stand on. If I'd been in this house 10 years, I might argue with them more. I guess I'm saying, I knew this would be mostly out of pocket when I bought the house with an "old" roof. I'll check into it a little more though. A new roof is damn expensive.

StoopTroup
8/21/2007, 02:30 PM
Do your patients get to haggle your fee? ;)

oumartin
8/21/2007, 02:31 PM
I was kinda wondering why a doctor was griping about money.

OUDoc
8/21/2007, 02:32 PM
Do your patients get to haggle your fee? ;)
No, the insurance company does that.

I was kinda wondering why a doctor was griping about money.

I'm a family doctor. We occasionally make more than pediatricians, but no one else. :O

yermom
8/21/2007, 02:33 PM
yermom needs a roofer soon...

what are the insurance issues? how do they deal with ice dams and rain damage?

oumartin
8/21/2007, 02:35 PM
Oh whatever, you drs are like Baseball players.

OUDoc
8/21/2007, 02:55 PM
Oh whatever, you drs are like Baseball players.
Yup, all 'roided up and crazy.

oumartin
8/21/2007, 03:03 PM
and more money for all those illegitimate children!

OUAndy1807
8/21/2007, 03:14 PM
30 lb felt and watch them when they're putting it on. All roofs should actually be 2 fully waterproof assemblies (the felt should be watertight and then the shingles should be water tight. the felt just isn't durable enough to be the finished product)

it's hard to say without seeing the layout of your house, but 2 roof vents seems like too few for a doctor's house.

if you are planning on being in the house for a while, I would probably go with a 50 year shingle rather than a 30 year, but obviously it's a money/quality relationship so it's just a judgment call.

make sure you're comparing apples to apples on the type of flashing their using. I would go with a prefinished metal in lieu of galvanized (cheap) or copper (expensive and not worth the money imo) make sure they're planning on replacing all the flashing (fascia, step flashing, etc...)

at the end of the day, you get what you pay for and it's probably not a good sign if the roofer you find can actually fit you in during the next couple weeks. everybody's busy.

olevetonahill
8/21/2007, 03:21 PM
Andy Is tellin ya true
But Ya might consider an overlay , Instead of a tear off . If theres only 1 layer then it should be easy to just do a recover.

oumartin
8/21/2007, 03:25 PM
I don't think you can even go two layers anymore vet. I think on a new roof even one layer they make you tear it down to the plywood. At least up here it is. they had City officials all over the place last summer making sure any replacement was taken all the way down

olevetonahill
8/21/2007, 03:30 PM
By Gawd
The hell ya say . ****in busybodies :mad:
Ill stay in my woods thank you . I can do what I damn well please

oumartin
8/21/2007, 03:32 PM
it may not be that anywhere else but up here they were being the ****s about it.

OSUAggie
8/21/2007, 04:04 PM
FYI, depending on the size of the roofing company you choose, they should be paying around $50/square for 30 year or $65-$70/square for 50 year. Felt should be around $15/roll.

oumartin
8/21/2007, 04:16 PM
Keep your Pie hole shut aggie unless we wanna know how to hump a sheep! ;)

Scott D
8/21/2007, 04:21 PM
clearly you should hire a good contractor to oversee things..and if they aren't available, see how much OUAndy goes for ;)

Blue
8/21/2007, 04:31 PM
30 lb felt and watch them when they're putting it on. All roofs should actually be 2 fully waterproof assemblies (the felt should be watertight and then the shingles should be water tight. the felt just isn't durable enough to be the finished product)

it's hard to say without seeing the layout of your house, but 2 roof vents seems like too few for a doctor's house.

if you are planning on being in the house for a while, I would probably go with a 50 year shingle rather than a 30 year, but obviously it's a money/quality relationship so it's just a judgment call.

make sure you're comparing apples to apples on the type of flashing their using. I would go with a prefinished metal in lieu of galvanized (cheap) or copper (expensive and not worth the money imo) make sure they're planning on replacing all the flashing (fascia, step flashing, etc...)

at the end of the day, you get what you pay for and it's probably not a good sign if the roofer you find can actually fit you in during the next couple weeks. everybody's busy.

1. You only need 30# if the pitch of yor roof is over a 7 pitch. And really that's only so the guys don't rip it while standing on it.

2. No point in getting over a 30 year shingle. You'll see the mother of all hailstorms in that time period so why triple the cost of the upgrade?

3. \Use weather-watch (Ice and water shield in the valleys, around chimney, and around skylights and boots.) All leak-prone areas. Don't replace chimney flashing if it aint broke. Repair step-flashing as needed. Fascia flashing Andy? I've heard of fascia boards and that would be a side deal to replace rotten wood.

4. Don't use Certainteed shingles. Recommend GAF of Elk

5. Make sure they provide 1-3 sheets of 4 by 8 plywood or OSB to repair damage to your decking where water might be coming in.

6. Make sure they don't use toeboards if your roof is steep. Ropes and cushions are a better bet if you don't want leaks down the road.

7. Make sure they use a magnet in the yard for nails, cleanup well.

8. As far as insurance recovery, get the roof inspected for hail damage. Regardless of the age of the roof, you should have an RCV policy (Replacement Cost Value) that requires your insurance company to cover the whole loss. As far as a date to give your insurance that hail hit your home...ask a roofer that deals w/ insurance and i'm sure they'll have a recent date to give you.

Blue
8/21/2007, 04:32 PM
And cut in Ridge vent and your ventilation will be fine. Assuming you have soffit vents.

olevetonahill
8/21/2007, 04:47 PM
clearly you should hire a good contractor to oversee things..and if they aren't available, see how much OUAndy goes for ;)
If Andy does that kinda stuff
Hell Yea Hire him !

OUDoc
8/22/2007, 01:26 PM
1. You only need 30# if the pitch of yor roof is over a 7 pitch. And really that's only so the guys don't rip it while standing on it.

That's what they all seem to offer.

2. No point in getting over a 30 year shingle. You'll see the mother of all hailstorms in that time period so why triple the cost of the upgrade?
Check.

3. \Use weather-watch (Ice and water shield in the valleys, around chimney, and around skylights and boots.) All leak-prone areas. Don't replace chimney flashing if it aint broke. Repair step-flashing as needed. Fascia flashing Andy? I've heard of fascia boards and that would be a side deal to replace rotten wood.
None mentioned chimney flashing, just for the vent pipes and repairs as needed.

4. Don't use Certainteed shingles. Recommend GAF of Elk
Elk Prestige High Definition shingles. (I know the "Elk" part is correct, I think the rest is what was quoted.) Hand nailed (cool, but I don't know if it makes a difference or not).

5. Make sure they provide 1-3 sheets of 4 by 8 plywood or OSB to repair damage to your decking where water might be coming in.
I don't know if anyone specified this or not.

6. Make sure they don't use toeboards if your roof is steep. Ropes and cushions are a better bet if you don't want leaks down the road.
I'll check into this.

7. Make sure they use a magnet in the yard for nails, cleanup well.
They all claimed to do this.

8. As far as insurance recovery, get the roof inspected for hail damage. Regardless of the age of the roof, you should have an RCV policy (Replacement Cost Value) that requires your insurance company to cover the whole loss. As far as a date to give your insurance that hail hit your home...ask a roofer that deals w/ insurance and i'm sure they'll have a recent date to give you.
I'll see what I can find out. Most have said they doubt insurance will cover us after they hear the details.

All American Roofing in Bethany seems to be the best we've seen. They are the second cheapest (a father/son team beat them by $1500, but I doubt their ability to do the job), but seemed the most honest and up-front. They were the only ones to bring a book of references with them and they specified hand nailing, installation to manufacturer's specs and insured against damage to our property.

sooneron
8/22/2007, 01:43 PM
http://www.livescience.com/technology/060828_roof_grass.html

Scott D
8/22/2007, 01:59 PM
Start checking their references my friend. More importantly, were there dates next to the references?

OUDoc
8/22/2007, 02:31 PM
Start checking their references my friend. More importantly, were there dates next to the references?
Don't know. My wife looked at them. Good point.

Scott D
8/22/2007, 02:33 PM
two rules I've heard, but make some sense to me.

1. Make sure they have not only a lot of references, but more than a couple of recent references.

2. See if they've done any insurance work. A lot of times those are more recent references.

Blue
8/22/2007, 07:09 PM
two rules I've heard, but make some sense to me.

1. Make sure they have not only a lot of references, but more than a couple of recent references.

2. See if they've done any insurance work. A lot of times those are more recent references.

Just b/c a company knows the insurance game doesn't mean they'll be gone next year. It's a good point, but most storming companies can sit in the same place for a long time and usually they do better work than Joe-Bobs Roofing because they do high volume.

soonerboomer93
8/22/2007, 07:25 PM
i'm so dissappointed, this thread is actually full of good advise

and no one said

"get one that doesn't leak" as a suggestion...