PDA

View Full Version : Defense Report from Scrimmage

htownsooner7
8/21/2007, 12:48 PM
Questions were posted from both "scrimmage update" threads regarding the defense and went largely unanswered. Someone please provide an update of the defense from the scrimmage, in particular the front 7. I read an article where BV also announced that Mccoy will start once healthy eventhough he didn't scrimmage. Thanks in advance..

mikeelikee
8/21/2007, 04:19 PM
Starting linebackers looked good. Ryan Reynolds absolutely stuffed Chris Brown on one run off tackle. Bennett and Tommy Taggart started at DT, and got owned on DeMarco's first big run, and on another early run by Brown. Later in the scrimmage, Granger and Coleman came in, and seemed more stout in the middle. The D-ends were fairly active, particularly Jeremy Beal.

NormanPride
8/21/2007, 04:25 PM
If Granger pulls his head out, he'll start with McCoy. Until then, he's a bit further down in the rotation.

Anyone have the story on McCoy's injury? Venables said he could play, as did Gerald himself, so that's good I guess.

Scott D
8/21/2007, 04:26 PM
Last week they said that McCoy'd be back practicing this week.

htownsooner7
8/21/2007, 04:27 PM
What is the DE and LB rotation? BV said it was English's job to lose and that Reed was not with the 1s at this point. Still the case?

NormanPride
8/21/2007, 04:45 PM
Last week they said that McCoy'd be back practicing this week.

I thought he was practicing this week, just not in scrimmages?

Scott D
8/21/2007, 04:47 PM
he was held out of last week's scrimmage. didn't see anything saying he won't play in the next one. admit it, your wife is making you worship at the altar of oxycotin loving qb :D

MojoRisen
8/21/2007, 04:49 PM
What is the DE and LB rotation? BV said it was English's job to lose and that Reed was not with the 1s at this point. Still the case?

English, Dotson and Williams rotate for sure, 4th is BEAL and 5th Alan Davis who is playing real well- I think we are deep enough now baring early injuries.

LB's are switching around some- but Baker Strong Side, Lofton Middle, Reynolds Weakside.

Reed 2nd string Middle Pleasant 2nd String on SAM and Auston Box 2nd String on Weakside.

Scott D
8/21/2007, 04:51 PM
poor lamont robinson

Petro-Sooner
8/21/2007, 04:53 PM
I heard at practice they tried to tackle the guy on offense with the ball. They did it really good today. I think that means we are going to be really hard to beat this year. The people that arent starting really are trying hard so they can start.

Thats your defensive pratice report or the rest of the season. Lock the thread.

NormanPride
8/21/2007, 05:00 PM
he was held out of last week's scrimmage. didn't see anything saying he won't play in the next one. admit it, your wife is making you worship at the altar of oxycotin loving qb :D

You... you can save me, right? Wait... do you think she'll read this?

htownsooner7
8/21/2007, 05:23 PM
I guess updates on the defense is a ridiculous thing to ask for on the upcoming season. Petro: Did it feel cool to spout off like that? You're a cool guy, don't let anybody tell you different.

colleyvillesooner
8/21/2007, 05:26 PM
Uh, you did get good responses.

Also what Petro did is par for the board. If you can't take that, you won't like it here.

htownsooner7
8/21/2007, 08:46 PM
I'm fine with competitive bantering. That's just weak computer messanging cowardly snippiness. As to what I can take? I was a D1 athlete. I've shown my worth. Internet smack on an honest, reasonable question should be called out.

CatfishSooner
8/21/2007, 09:00 PM
I'm fine with competitive bantering. That's just weak computer messanging cowardly snippiness. As to what I can take? I was a D1 athlete. I've shown my worth. Internet smack on an honest, reasonable question should be called out.

what did you play, where?

usmc-sooner
8/21/2007, 09:01 PM
I was a D1 athlete.

I think we all were :rolleyes:

Redshirt
8/21/2007, 09:13 PM
I was a sorcerer's apprentice.

tommie15
8/21/2007, 09:40 PM
I think we all were :rolleyes:

pssh, yeah

BUT, only some of us were PROFESSIONAL athletes ;)

Blue
8/21/2007, 10:44 PM
I've been looking for a signature. Yay!

Ash
8/21/2007, 10:47 PM
Interweb ****ing matches are always good for a laugh or two.

ouwasp
8/21/2007, 11:50 PM
you guys make me laugh......thanks.....:texan:

soonerboomer93
8/22/2007, 03:31 AM
Uh, you did get good responses.

Also what Petro did is par for the board. If you can't take that, you won't like it here.

actually, it was rather weak, next time i think we can see something more creative out of him.

he is young though, so it takes time to get proper board sarcasm rolling

soonerboomer93
8/22/2007, 03:32 AM
I was a sorcerer's apprentice.

I put on my robe and wizard hat...

Frozen Sooner
8/22/2007, 04:29 AM
I'm CEO of a Fortune 500 company that manufactures D1 athletes. So there!

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/22/2007, 07:54 AM
I once had sex with a D1 athlete...so I probably got a chromosone or two in me!

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/22/2007, 07:56 AM
I also heard that Reggie Smith might be a decent to below average guy in the secondary

Ash
8/22/2007, 08:05 AM

:eek:

Petro-Sooner
8/22/2007, 08:05 AM
Welcome to SF htown. Lighten up, its a message board.

And yes it did feel cool the spout off like that. :texan:

soonerhubs
8/22/2007, 08:43 AM
Well I went to the same high school as a D1 athlete, an NFL LB, and a guy that starred on BIG BROTHER! So you will respect my Au Thor a TIE! :D

Also... I wear an OU hat.

BTW I thought the review was insightful. I'm excited to see this defense.

htownsooner7
8/22/2007, 09:05 AM
In retrospect, not my best post. Withdrawn with apologies. I promise to be a knowledgeable fan from this point on.

colleyvillesooner
8/22/2007, 09:07 AM
Ya can't just throw out "I'm a D1 athlete" and not back it up.

Where and what sport?

Then we'll all move along.

I would have sided with you if all you got was bull**** responses, cause I was curious about the D too, but you got not 1 but 2 different questions answered and one not serious one.

1 outta 10 responses in bull**** is REALLY good for this board. :D

htownsooner7
8/22/2007, 10:09 AM
Baseball. Saint Louis University. Starting catcher for 3 years. Conference USA when I played there, they have since moved to the Atlantic 10. If you really want to continue, I'll send you more info.

Tear Down This Wall
8/22/2007, 10:17 AM
The post is fine, htown...so was petros.

Look, here's the problem...McCoy and Granger could be the best in the nation. The problem is that the guys behind them are woefully average. And, defensive end is simply a huge question mark. We've basically got nothing there. We haven't been this thin in experience at DE since 1996.

McCoy should start against North Texas just based on the fact that even at his worst he couldn't be any less consistent than Bennett and Coleman have been.

illinisooner
8/22/2007, 10:17 AM
I attend classes with D1 athletes.

htownsooner7
8/22/2007, 10:21 AM
Too bad that Granger has found his way into the doghouse. Some guys have a hard time getting out.

Ash
8/22/2007, 10:21 AM
The post is fine, htown...so was petros.

Look, here's the problem...McCoy and Granger could be the best in the nation. The problem is that the guys behind them are woefully average. And, defensive end is simply a huge question mark. We've basically got nothing there. We haven't been this thin in experience at DE since 1996.

McCoy should start against North Texas just based on the fact that even at his worst he couldn't be any less consistent than Bennett and Coleman have been.

Granger came in out of shape. Once he gets back into the swing of things he should make an impact. One surprise player in the scrimmages was Alan Davis who was very active and in on a lot of plays. The fact that one of the back ups stepped up and played well gives some confidence about the depth of the D line.

I agree that the ends are somewhat of a question mark, but I don't think it's as gloomy as you make it out to be. It might take some time for all of these guys to find their stride but I don't see the d line being a huge weakness.

Frozen Sooner
8/22/2007, 11:34 AM

Well, I'm sure you at least got some DNA in there.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/22/2007, 12:33 PM
DNA is a myth perpetrated by the Godless liberal media

Tear Down This Wall
8/22/2007, 04:00 PM
It might take some time for all of these guys to find their stride but I don't see the d line being a huge weakness.

Well, Miami is Game #2, so they better "find their stride" pretty quick. Whatever happens against North Texas State means nothing. Miami has real athletes. Our coaches can't still be p*ssing into the wind with their defensive line-up during that game.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/22/2007, 05:13 PM
You did hear that North Texas is running the most powerful offense in the world not known as Puke St.

soonerhubs
8/22/2007, 07:37 PM
nm

Stitch Face
8/22/2007, 09:15 PM

Do you have any stereo equipment you're trying to sell?

RedstickSooner
8/23/2007, 12:48 PM
I, uhm, wouldn't mind hearing a bit more about our defense from anyone who has gone to any of the scrimmages or practices in person.

All I've really heard about is offense. And since we've been suffering through a couple of un-Stoops-like defenses lately, defense is more than a minor concern to me. We seem to be loaded with talent -- is that talent playing worth a damn?

Sure wish Mike would bomb out in Arizona and come home. Guess that makes me evil. At least a little bit.

;)

Ash
8/23/2007, 03:12 PM
My earlier post was referencing what I saw at the scrimmages and what coaches were saying in this article:

Despite injury, Gerald is real McCoy

By Scott Wright
Staff Writer

NORMAN — On Saturday night, Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy could only stand and watch from the east sideline of Owen Field while his teammates played in their second major scrimmage of training camp.

And even though the redshirt freshman missed a full week of practice as well as Saturday's scrimmage with a mild sprain of the AC joint in his right shoulder, defensive coordinator Brent Venables has already seen enough.

"When Gerald's healthy, he's the guy,” Venables said when asked about his starting defensive tackles after Saturday's scrimmage.

Defensive line coach Jackie Shipp said last week that DeMarcus Granger, who became the Sooners' best tackle by the end of last season, had found his way into Shipp's "doghouse” for not playing hard or being in good enough shape early in camp.

Right now, Cory Bennett and McCoy are penciled in as starters, with Granger and Steven Coleman as backups, though all four are part of the rotation.

"They're all gonna play,” Venables said.

McCoy, the former USA Today National High School Defensive Player of the Year out of Oklahoma City's Southeast High School, says he wasn't ready to play last season and needed the redshirt year to prepare him.

And even though all but one of last year's defensive tackles are back, McCoy's quickness and strength pushed him to the top of the depth chart.

"Gerald McCoy does some really good things,” Shipp said. "He's a guy that if you just watch from the stands, he'll stand out to you.”

Fan expectations were high when McCoy arrived last August and he knows that will carry over to this season.

"People are expecting (me to succeed), but I don't have any pressure,” he said. "I'm just doing what I can for the team. I'm just one part of the defense. There's 10 other guys out there.”

If McCoy feels pressure to do anything, it's to keep up OU's reputation as a strong defensive team — what he calls the "Sooner attitude.”

"The guys from the past, they had this certain kind of attitude,” he said. "It was a confident attitude — it wasn't cocky. OU has always been known for having a dominant D-line. I just want to come in and continue that tradition.”

Meanwhile, McCoy is growing anxious for the Sooners' Sept. 1 opener against North Texas.

"Me and my father have been talking about how close it is,” he said. "Everybody's been teasing me, ‘he's finally gonna get to play.'

"It's right around the corner. I can't wait.”

Ash
8/23/2007, 03:12 PM
My earlier post was referencing what I saw at the scrimmages and what coaches were saying in this article:

By Scott Wright
Staff Writer

NORMAN — On Saturday night, Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy could only stand and watch from the east sideline of Owen Field while his teammates played in their second major scrimmage of training camp.

And even though the redshirt freshman missed a full week of practice as well as Saturday's scrimmage with a mild sprain of the AC joint in his right shoulder, defensive coordinator Brent Venables has already seen enough.

"When Gerald's healthy, he's the guy,” Venables said when asked about his starting defensive tackles after Saturday's scrimmage.

Defensive line coach Jackie Shipp said last week that DeMarcus Granger, who became the Sooners' best tackle by the end of last season, had found his way into Shipp's "doghouse” for not playing hard or being in good enough shape early in camp.

Right now, Cory Bennett and McCoy are penciled in as starters, with Granger and Steven Coleman as backups, though all four are part of the rotation.

McCoy, the former USA Today National High School Defensive Player of the Year out of Oklahoma City's Southeast High School, says he wasn't ready to play last season and needed the redshirt year to prepare him.

And even though all but one of last year's defensive tackles are back, McCoy's quickness and strength pushed him to the top of the depth chart.

"Gerald McCoy does some really good things,” Shipp said. "He's a guy that if you just watch from the stands, he'll stand out to you.”

Fan expectations were high when McCoy arrived last August and he knows that will carry over to this season.

"People are expecting (me to succeed), but I don't have any pressure,” he said. "I'm just doing what I can for the team. I'm just one part of the defense. There's 10 other guys out there.”

If McCoy feels pressure to do anything, it's to keep up OU's reputation as a strong defensive team — what he calls the "Sooner attitude.”

"The guys from the past, they had this certain kind of attitude,” he said. "It was a confident attitude — it wasn't cocky. OU has always been known for having a dominant D-line. I just want to come in and continue that tradition.”

Meanwhile, McCoy is growing anxious for the Sooners' Sept. 1 opener against North Texas.

"Me and my father have been talking about how close it is,” he said. "Everybody's been teasing me, ‘he's finally gonna get to play.'

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/23/2007, 03:15 PM
Can you repost that

Ash
8/23/2007, 03:16 PM
Can you repost that

no problem

Ash
8/23/2007, 03:19 PM

By Scott Wright
Staff Writer

Widescreen
8/23/2007, 03:45 PM
Whoops! They must have changed something in the Matrix.