PDA

View Full Version : IT'S BRADFORD!!!

The Maestro
8/21/2007, 11:29 AM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082107aaa.html

sooner45
8/21/2007, 11:33 AM
Good deal!! Now we can move on he can feel comfortable now that he's the starter, Boomer sooner!!

Boomer.....
8/21/2007, 11:35 AM
Not a shocker, but good to hear.

zeke
8/21/2007, 11:36 AM
BOOMER SOONER

Ash
8/21/2007, 11:37 AM
Good deal!! Now we can move on he can feel comfortable now that he's the starter, Boomer sooner!!

So you're not in favor of a five page thread debating whether or not Stoops made the right decision?

Tulsa_Fireman
8/21/2007, 11:37 AM
Next question.

Does it go Bradford, Halzle and a redshirt on Nichol?

Ash
8/21/2007, 11:38 AM
Next question.

Why would you want to redshirt Nichol?

BornandBred
8/21/2007, 11:39 AM
Commence man-crushing...

Boomer.....
8/21/2007, 11:41 AM
I don't think that we should redshirt Nichol. I'm sure that he will see some playing time.

Paperclip
8/21/2007, 11:41 AM
Not that I wouldn't have been happy with the other guys, but I like having an Okie as our QB.

Collier11
8/21/2007, 11:44 AM
Nichol has clearly outplayed Halzle, why would he be third string and reshirt? If Bradford ever were to go down, we need the next best guy in there!!!

TheUnnamedSooner
8/21/2007, 11:49 AM
Nichol has clearly outplayed Halzle, why would he be third string and reshirt? If Bradford ever were to go down, we need the next best guy in there!!!

You can always burn the redshirt if such event were to occur.

SoonerBOI
8/21/2007, 11:53 AM
Its now time to play Oklahoma Football!

Tulsa_Fireman
8/21/2007, 11:53 AM
Why would you want to redshirt Nichol?

Because you'll still have experience at the #2 in Halzle, Bradford's had his year of development in the system that would do nothing but help Nichol, and if all else fails you can always pull his redshirt under drastic conditions. If he's in the running straight out of spring and summer, why NOT hang a redshirt on him instead of having the constant threat of jockeying back and forth with who's showing out as the season continues? Make Bradford the guy this season, give Nichol that year in the system, and set the table for next season while still giving the best from this year the nod.

I just don't see how essentially wasting a year of eligibility on the bench from a pup freshman that has the makings of one hell of a quarterback makes sense. Tuck him back and get his time this season in the offense. You'll still be 3 deep and again, if the poo hits the fan or Nichol just becomes the second coming late in the season, you can pull it and go.

colleyvillesooner
8/21/2007, 11:54 AM
I doubt he redshirts.

Especially if they believe Nichol is the future QB with all the tools, you'd want him to get two years between him and Landry. That way you can Redshirt Landry Jones next year. (If he signs)

Collier11
8/21/2007, 11:57 AM
Because if he is the legit #2 then he needs to get PT and he cant get PT if he is reshirting. If we are blowing out NT or Utah St, wouldnt you rather have the guy who would come in if Bradford went down getting PT rather than the guy who wont play at all?

Collier11
8/21/2007, 11:58 AM
With that said, I dont want him playing unless he is getting legit Pt and not just 1 or 2 snaps in blowouts

The Maestro
8/21/2007, 11:58 AM
Because you'll still have experience at the #2 in Halzle.

I doubt mop up duty against Middle Tennessee State puts Halzle ahead of Nichol. Redshirts for QB's are kind of strange these days. I mean, with Landry Jones coming in next year, just leave Nichol as the second stringer and it at least gives him the mental edge he needs in practice to know he is one play away from leading the Sooners. If you call it a redshirt then he might lose some focus...I would think.

colleyvillesooner
8/21/2007, 12:00 PM
With that said, I dont want him playing unless he is getting legit Pt and not just 1 or 2 snaps in blowouts

Ditto.

thatmediadude
8/21/2007, 12:00 PM
Easy decision starting Bradford. He is the best QB of the 3. I am with the rest of the guys...Nichol at 2, with some playing time..and Halzle as an emergency type situation..doesn't matter...Bradford will be fine.

The Maestro
8/21/2007, 12:05 PM
Yes and yes on the "not just mop up duty"...but that seems to be the modus operandi of Stoops backup QB's. I'd love to give Keith good time in there to wet his whistle, keep him excited and most importantly, have him ready.

And it will be great seeing a QB wearing 14 again for us!

soonerinabilene
8/21/2007, 12:07 PM
good. glad to know thats out of the way, now we can focus on whats really important- who is going to start next year?

Widescreen
8/21/2007, 12:11 PM
Glad to hear the decision was made. Now Sam can get the majority of the practice snaps with the 1's.

Here's my thought.

Either plan to get Nichol into games when it's still competitive or redshirt him. I've never understood wasting a kid's eligibility on handing the ball off a few times. Any time we have a huge lead, everyone knows we're not going to be passing because that's the sportsmanship thing to do. However, I hope he doesn't redshirt because he will be further behind than he is now going into spring. IIRC, the redshirting guy is usually running the scout team instead of keeping his head full-time in our playbook.

In summary...
Yea for Sam.
Let Keith play in real situations.

oumartin
8/21/2007, 12:12 PM
You would have to be an idiot to reshirt Nichol. He is the #2 guy and better be ready to play if Bradford goes down. They can redshirt him next year if need be.
Also there is another all american QB coming to Norman next year.

I think Nichol will the starter no later than mid season anyhow.

colleyvillesooner
8/21/2007, 12:16 PM
So Nichol is the new 2007 Bomar? The one people will cheer harder than the starter for? Got it. ;)

Paperclip
8/21/2007, 12:17 PM
The backup qb is very often the most popular guy on the team. It's just the way fans are.

oumartin
8/21/2007, 12:18 PM
Exactly CVS! :D

Give em both a chance to play and it will come out in the wash.

Rhino
8/21/2007, 12:53 PM
If the past is any indicator, Bradford will be the starter, Halzle will be the mop-up guy and Nichol will be the redshirt-until-Bradford-gets-injured-and-we-need-a-starting-QB.

oumartin
8/21/2007, 12:54 PM
I disagree.

jk the sooner fan
8/21/2007, 12:56 PM
If the past is any indicator, Bradford will be the starter, Halzle will be the mop-up guy and Nichol will be the redshirt-until-Bradford-gets-injured-and-we-need-a-starting-QB.

heh, well said!

CatfishSooner
8/21/2007, 12:58 PM
Red-Shirting Nichol would be a mistake.

oumartin
8/21/2007, 12:58 PM
so you are not gonna give a guy but a few snaps in practice cuz Halzle will need his share of reps but if bradford goes down we are gonna stick Nichol in as a starter when he hasn't really faced any competition?
Yeah that will work

MiccoMacey
8/21/2007, 01:03 PM
Uhmmmm...what everyone's forgetting is that I already called this.

Yesterday.

You people are slow.

:D

oumartin
8/21/2007, 01:05 PM
what's that sayin'?
The sun shines on Every dogs *** every now and then Micco! ;)

MextheBulldog
8/21/2007, 01:08 PM
Great day for the Sooners and Fighting Panthers of Putnam North!

birddog
8/21/2007, 01:11 PM
as an ex-panther i'm happy to have him qb'ing our sooners.

Sooner FLiP
8/21/2007, 01:15 PM
boomer sooner!

Rhino
8/21/2007, 01:21 PM
so you are not gonna give a guy but a few snaps in practice cuz Halzle will need his share of reps but if bradford goes down we are gonna stick Nichol in as a starter when he hasn't really faced any competition?
Yeah that will work Don't kid yourself, any QB not named Bradford only gets "but a few snaps" now that Sam has been named the starter.

Bradford will get a majority of the snaps in practice. Nichol will get the second most - which really isn't that many. Halzle will run scout team more than likely, but may get some insignificant game snaps handing off the ball in the waning minutes of the Utah State game. Nichol will more than likely redshirt and have it pulled if Bradford in inefficient or injured.

"If the past is any indicator,"

If 2007 = 2004, then
Bradford = White,
Halzle = Grady
Nichol = Thompson

Scott D
8/21/2007, 01:22 PM
Red-Shirting Nichol would be a mistake.

how do you think we were able to still have Paul Thompson last year...he filled the role that Rhino mentioned for Nichol in 2004. PT was the redshirt-in-case-of-injury QB and Grady was the mop up guy.

of course the last post by Rhino pretty much said it clearly.

oumartin
8/21/2007, 01:22 PM
So, how many snaps will Nichol get in a real game if he is redshirted?

oumartin
8/21/2007, 01:26 PM
I have no problem redshirting Nichol. I think they should wait until next year though. Get the kid some real game time just in case he is needed. That teams is gonna be in deep crap if he doens't take a significant snap until its absolutely needed(Bradford injury)

Oldnslo
8/21/2007, 01:28 PM
Redshirt Nichol. You can always burn it if you need to. Landry ain't here yet, and preserving Nichol's eligibility is a great idea. That it also helps ensure that Nichol stays at OU is another bonus.

Rhino
8/21/2007, 01:31 PM
That teams is gonna be in deep crap if he doens't take a significant snap until its absolutely needed(Bradford injury) We've taken this "don't play the backup until we're up by 40+ or our starter gets hurt" approach every year Stoops has been here (sans the 2005 TCU fiasco).

I don't expect this year to be any different.

Collier11
8/21/2007, 01:33 PM
If Nichol doesnt get 10-15 snaps a game ala Tebow then redshirt him. But if he is truly the #2 and better than Halzle which we all believe, then he doesnt need to be reshirted, he needs to get all the #2 snaps in practice and get some meaningful game reps.

oumartin
8/21/2007, 01:34 PM
I'm not saying you are not right in what you are saying Rhino but I just think they shouldn't redshirt him this year.

Crap I am starting to sound like TDTW and question the coaching staff.

colleyvillesooner
8/21/2007, 01:41 PM
We've taken this "don't play the backup until we're up by 40+ or our starter gets hurt" approach every year Stoops has been here (sans the 2005 TCU fiasco).

I don't expect this year to be any different.

I'd normally agree with you, if Stoops and WIlson hadn't been 1 week ago saying, "we may go with two."

That to me was the only difference between the QB races of the past and this year.

Rhino
8/21/2007, 01:42 PM
I'm not saying you are not right in what you are saying Rhino but I just think they shouldn't redshirt him this year. I think most of us have felt uneasy about not playing our backup QBs more in game situations, especially against the Utah States of the world, but at some point we just have to accept that we'll always do that under Stoops.

MojoRisen
8/21/2007, 01:55 PM
Don't kid yourself, any QB not named Bradford only gets "but a few snaps" now that Sam has been named the starter.

Bradford will get a majority of the snaps in practice. Nichol will get the second most - which really isn't that many. Halzle will run scout team more than likely, but may get some insignificant game snaps handing off the ball in the waning minutes of the Utah State game. Nichol will more than likely redshirt and have it pulled if Bradford in inefficient or injured.

"If the past is any indicator,"

If 2007 = 2004, then
Bradford = White,
Halzle = Grady
Nichol = Thompson

Thanks Makes sense- Practice him at number 2 - let Joey mop up- but pull the shirt if we need Nichol in there- Or play him because he is good and can change the pace if Bradford is stugling a bit in games.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/21/2007, 02:43 PM
Uhmmmm...what everyone's forgetting is that I already called this.

Yesterday.

You people are slow.

:D

I think someone challenged it. That may have held things up. :D

SoonerBOI
8/21/2007, 02:48 PM
I'm just glad we have three capable QBs. But can this turn into a McCoy/Snead thing next year?

Scott D
8/21/2007, 02:49 PM
it's a smokescreen. Hays McEachern will be the opening week starter.

KC//CRIMSON
8/21/2007, 03:39 PM
Germans bombed...........!!!!

never mind.

NormanPride
8/21/2007, 03:47 PM
I hope this isn't like the QB situation in 2001.

Petro-Sooner
8/21/2007, 03:55 PM
Nate Hybl was a subpar quarterback at best.

:pop:

SoonersEnFuego
8/21/2007, 04:02 PM
Not that I wouldn't have been happy with the other guys, but I like having an Okie as our QB.

I feel this way also.

Beef
8/21/2007, 04:35 PM
I'm just glad we have three capable QBs. But can this turn into a McCoy/Snead thing next year?
I'm hoping none of them are as big of a **ssy as Snead and would welcome the competition.

KC//CRIMSON
8/21/2007, 05:12 PM
Nate Hybl was a subpar quarterback at best.

Not many subpar QB's go 18-3 and win a Rosebowl MVP.

just sayin.......

TheUnnamedSooner
8/21/2007, 05:17 PM
I hope no one challenges this decision. Things don't need to be held up.

InTexasandImStuck
8/21/2007, 05:22 PM
Glad you are starting a RS. That much easier to hang a W on U.

September 8th... A day the nation will know the U is back.

colleyvillesooner
8/21/2007, 05:27 PM

September 8th... A day the nation will know the U is suck.

Fixed.

InTexasandImStuck
8/21/2007, 05:29 PM
Dream on you know where we will be and you are welcome to stop by. After the game also if you think you can stand the pain.

boomersooner28
8/21/2007, 05:47 PM
GOOD JOB MAESTRO FOR FINDING THIS INFO BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! This is why message boards rock my face off...so many people to find pertinent info really fast so we know first. The local media is crying because this was released on a website instead of OU calling everyone in for a press conference to announce the decision. Screw you media!

SoonerLB
8/21/2007, 06:02 PM
The up side to a redshirt year for Keith is he gains some maturity, probably gains some size and strength too. He's basically still a kid, no sense in rushing him un-necessarily into action if the need doesn't arise.
I'm gonna put my trust in the Coaches, I kinda think they know what they are doing. ;)

TheUnnamedSooner
8/21/2007, 06:03 PM
Yes, next year he won't be a kid anymore.

sendbaht
8/21/2007, 06:11 PM
Please do not tell BigRed Sport Cars.

birddog
8/21/2007, 06:11 PM
GOOD JOB MAESTRO FOR FINDING THIS INFO BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! This is why message boards rock my face off...so many people to find pertinent info really fast so we know first. The local media is crying because this was released on a website instead of OU calling everyone in for a press conference to announce the decision. Screw you media!

actually, he was just the first to start a thread about it. ;)

The Maestro
8/21/2007, 06:34 PM
BoonesFarmSooner sent me the link...kudos, T-Bone!

sanantoniosooner
8/21/2007, 06:53 PM
I knew about this yesterday.

Shneeg11
8/21/2007, 06:54 PM
It came out yesterday for most of us....thats why i started a thread......

sanantoniosooner
8/21/2007, 06:56 PM
Then I knew it the day before yesterday.

goingoneight
8/21/2007, 07:49 PM
You would have to be an idiot to reshirt Nichol. He is the #2 guy and better be ready to play if Bradford goes down. They can redshirt him next year if need be.
Also there is another all american QB coming to Norman next year.

I think Nichol will the starter no later than mid season anyhow.

Because Nichol plays next year and Landry Jones roughs it like both Sam and Keith have already done. As nice as it sounds to put Nichol in three or four blowouts this season to throw four or five passes total, it sounds better to have a talented quarterback years down the road who can step in if the starter blows out a knee or something. Or in the case that OUr team is loaded in 2011, we have a veteran starter with a world of talent and experience in Nichol. I'm all for letting the guy play if he's all world, but he's probably just a pup like any other true frosh. I'm moreso for finally building a depth chart at Oklahoma. Depth at quality, experienced quarterbacks has probably kept us out of MNC races in 2001, 2002 and 2005. Nothing against PT and Nate Hybl, but look at what happened when OUr guys were injured in 2001 and 2002, and look what happened when PT wasn't ready to play in 2005.

Zing
8/21/2007, 07:59 PM
Then I knew it the day before yesterday.

Well, I knew about it last week. Also, I can shoot lasers out of my eyes.

PLaw
8/21/2007, 08:07 PM
Next question.

I originally thought they would consider redshirting Nichol, but an excellent post on this board made some solid points against it and caused me to change my mind.

Nichol should get some meaningful snaps early in the season, although that's not Stoops' M/O. I think the staff is very bullish on Nichol and will give him every opportunity.

Halzle, we hardly knew ye. Thanks for stepping in and filling a void albiet for a blink.

BOOMER SOONER
PLaw

r5TPsooner
8/21/2007, 08:10 PM
I'll drink one in his honor.

Paperclip
8/21/2007, 08:19 PM

I'm confused. We're U or you're U?

KantoSooner
8/21/2007, 08:19 PM
I have absolutely no idea what Stoops and co. will do, but here's what I think they should do:
Go ahead with Bradford as starter. (maturity, knows the system, good scrimmage, blah blah blah)
Keep Nichol as the No. 2 and work him in for around 25% of the snaps, and be bold: do some of his rotations EARLY in the game. (he's got the better arm, they say. He's a mobile threat, to some extent. He's got more of a future, arguably.)
Keep Halzle at No. 3 and warm.

Why? Why not rs Nichol?

You want him to have game reps. All our QBs are untested now. If you throw all the practice reps and game reps at Bradford, you are putting your eggs in one basket. Secondly, Nichol will develop much more quickly if you put him into a real game, with real pressure and real demons trying to destroy him and pick off his passes. No substitutes work. Thirdly, you've got either Landry coming in next year (and keeping a Nichol rs option in your pocket can work well in that connection as well - Nichol is the second coming? He starts next year and Jones can see the light after HIS redshirt. Nichol is so so? You can rs both, maybe. Anyway, you've got options) or he decides he wants to go elsewhere and you've still got two good qbs and a couple of years to recruit and groom another one or two.

I dunno, people can criticize me, but I really don't see some much downside to having QB 1 and QB 1B. And if their styles are a bit different, it multiplies headaches for the opposing D coordinator.

Anyway, that's my take. 9 MORE FREAKING DAYS.

Boomer!

Scott D
8/21/2007, 08:31 PM

at least we never had Kyle Wright.

goingoneight
8/21/2007, 09:02 PM
The Bradford/Halzle/Nichol succeeding PT/Halzle/Bradford is just like what Tejas did in terms of evaluation. They had McCoy/Snead/Matt McCoy succeeding Young/Mock/McCoy. They threw Jevan Snead in because they had no idea who could replace one of their greats in VY. Both were capable quarterbacks with a lot of skill, but were not VY. Eventually, Colt's year in the system outshined all of the fancy, sparkly QB "potential" Snead had and they were a neck injury away from a BIG 12 Championship and another BCS bowl. Note they didn't have half the talent on the ground OUr offense does and OUr WRs compare quite nicely if not favorably. Jevan Snead came in as a talented freshmen everyone wanted to steal the job and be the next Vince Young... but Colt McCoy was there to witness the big game environment, VY's leadership, and all of the things about CFB a high school kid can't even comprehend usually coming straight out of school.
Sometimes you can have all the talent in the world and not be ready, and I trust this is why Sam is the chosen one... for now.

GottaHavePride
8/21/2007, 10:19 PM
I'm confused. We're U or you're U?

He's a ****in' SOULHJAH.

GottaHavePride
8/21/2007, 10:20 PM
Anyone have one of the old Kellen Winslow on a tricycle farks?

Rhino
8/21/2007, 10:52 PM

September 8th... A day the nation will know the U is back. You have too many uses for the letter 'U'.

Rhino
8/21/2007, 11:16 PM
Anyone have one of the old Kellen Winslow on a tricycle farks? How's this?

http://members.cox.net/normandothemagnificent/WinslowCoinbike.jpg (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38526)
(from Norm in Norman)

47straight
8/22/2007, 12:43 AM

I didn't think we were playing the University of Minnesota, which is after all the oldest user of that name.

47straight
8/22/2007, 12:46 AM
Dream on you know where we will be and you are welcome to stop by. After the game also if you think you can stand the pain.

No, we now know where to send the cops.

colleyvillesooner
8/22/2007, 08:53 AM
Well, there you go:

http://newsok.com/article/3107677/1187762623

Bradford, however, will have to make plays in games, not scrimmages, to keep his job, since Stoops said Tuesday he likely won't redshirt Nichol, who has played well at times this preseason.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/22/2007, 09:28 AM
Well, there you go:

http://newsok.com/article/3107677/1187762623

Well, crap. Now what are we going to talk about for the next week and half?

Dodge's HS offense? No.

colleyvillesooner
8/22/2007, 10:30 AM
No kidding!

It's only 11 days until the football noobs declare "If we play like that against Miami, we'll get killed!"

arcman46
8/22/2007, 10:37 AM
I didn't think we were playing the University of Minnesota, which is after all the oldest user of that name.

Actually, the oldest user of that name is probably the University of Utah. Considering they are the U of U. U see. :D :rolleyes:

Paperclip
8/22/2007, 10:42 AM

Exactly, because we all know Prince is from Minnesota and the university was his inspiration for writing Nothing Compares 2 U.

Ash
8/22/2007, 10:44 AM
Exactly, because we all know Prince is from Minnesota and the university was his inspiration for writing Nothing Compares 2 U.

Wow. It all makes sense...:D

The Maestro
8/22/2007, 10:51 AM
Kudos to Keith for his attitude. Great quote from his dad in the Oklahoman today...

Keith called to tell his parents Monday night.

"He was very frank,” Gary said. "He's disappointed but he's very happy for Sam. (Keith) will continue trying to be the best quarterback he can be for OU. Just because he's made a mistake or something doesn't go his way, doesn't mean he quits. He regroups, retools and keeps moving forward.”

Here is hoping for health for Bradford, but also for Keith to get his shot sometime to prove his worth. Great to have both guys on board this team for four years.

NormanPride
8/22/2007, 11:03 AM
One of the reasons I cheer for Keith is because he seems to have the AD-like approach to practice and getting better constantly. We need more of these kids on our team!

meoveryouxinfinity
8/22/2007, 03:31 PM
One of the reasons I cheer for Keith is because he seems to have the AD-like approach to practice and getting better constantly. We need more of these kids on our team!
I'm sure Sam has the same attitude but you never hear him because he is very shy and very, very humble. He was like that throughout high school.

goingoneight
8/22/2007, 05:54 PM
But he's not the backup QB, anymore... so he now has a bad attitude, is subpar at best and couldn't throw the ball over that there mountain if he tried. ;)

aurorasooner
8/23/2007, 05:59 AM
I like what I read in the TW.
"Sam's come a long way since last year, even from the spring," junior center Jon Cooper said.

"He looks you in the eye now in the huddle and you can see the confidence. He walks around with a swagger. He's not the freshman anymore that was on campus last year, with his head down, just kind of going through the motions. He comes into practice and he's got his chin up and he's ready to make plays. You've got to have that."
He stays at the same level whether it's good or bad," senior tight end Joe Jon Finley said. "That's what you want to see in a quarterback."http://www.tulsaworld.com/common/printerfriendlystory.aspx?articleID=070822_2_B1_sp anc18056

"He used to just go in there and call the play, and then after he'd call the play we'd run the play," junior wide receiver Malcolm Kelly said. "Now it's kind of like, 'Let's move the ball down the field.' If somebody's turned around in the huddle, it's, 'Hey Brax (Branndon Braxton), turn around.' I think he's kind of getting the grasp of, 'Hey, I'm the man,' or 'Hey, I'm gonna be the leader of this offense, so I've gotta get it done.' "
Originally Posted by GottaHavePride
Anyone have one of the old Kellen Winslow on a tricycle farks?http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38526&highlight=winslow
originally posted by Jimmy Medalionshttp://members.cox.net/trolling/winslow.jpg