PDA

View Full Version : Mike Vick deserves a 2d chance?

jk the sooner fan
8/21/2007, 11:19 AM
i normally like what JJ Taylor writes in the Dallas Morning News, but I could not disagree with him more on
this article (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/jtaylor/stories/082107dnspotaylor.2e3f55f.html)

Mike Vick deserves every single day he gets in a federal prison.

After accepting a plea agreement Monday – the details won't be made public until he appears before the judge next week – it's clear Vick does not deserve our sympathy.

He had the world in the palm of his hands and chose to toss it all away. There's certainly no justifiable excuse for financing a dogfighting ring and then hanging, electrocuting or drowning dogs once they had served their purpose.

None.

But once he's served his time and paid his debt to society, then he absolutely should be allowed to continue his NFL career.

Anything else would be un-American. At least, that's what they taught me in all of those government classes I took in high school and college.

there's more to the article, but JJ's response to my email this morning tells me where he's thinking.......that simply serving a prison sentence will rehabilitate Vick

yermom
8/21/2007, 11:23 AM
he's just sowing the seeds for him to come to Dallas

Beef
8/21/2007, 11:32 AM
I saw that this morning and was thinking that Nifong should be allowed to prosecute again as long as he's sorry according to JJT. Vick has every right to earn a living when he gets out. I'm assuming most convicted felons don't typically pick up where they left off at the same job and pay scale. Vick should be no different.

Ash
8/21/2007, 11:33 AM
I don't remember the lecture in civics class about the merits of ex-cons.

Vick broke the law and got caught. Whatever happens after that is part of the consequences -- nobody owes him anything.

He'll end up in the Arena league or pro wrestling, who cares.

jk the sooner fan
8/21/2007, 11:45 AM
I saw that this morning and was thinking that Nifong should be allowed to prosecute again as long as he's sorry according to JJT. Vick has every right to earn a living when he gets out. I'm assuming most convicted felons don't typically pick up where they left off at the same job and pay scale. Vick should be no different.

Agree, if you or I are let go from our job because of a felony conviction, would our employers let us come back on the job after our prison time?

helllllll no

yermom
8/21/2007, 11:57 AM
but if he's still marketable he may still have a job when he's done. have the Falcons even cut him?

i bet once this blows over and he does some PSAs for the SPCA he'll end up some place like Detriot that sucks, or in Dallas

royalfan5
8/21/2007, 12:25 PM
If Mike Vick isn't Raider Material now, I don't know who is.

Scott D
8/21/2007, 02:07 PM
Agree, if you or I are let go from our job because of a felony conviction, would our employers let us come back on the job after our prison time?

helllllll no

yeah but neither you nor I are famous non murdering felons. Ironically this discussion about Vick comes on the tail of this bit about Lee Hughes whom signed with Oldham Athletic recently.

Ex-Albion star's jail release date

Shamed footballer Lee Hughes is to be freed from prison on August 20 and is expected to be playing first-team football a few days later, the Express & Star can reveal today.

The 31-year-old former West Bromwich Albion striker is due to take a week’s holiday before joining his new club Oldham Athletic.

The deal with the League One side was signed in Featherstone Prison, near Wolverhampton, where Hughes has been serving a six-year sentence for causing death by dangerous driving.

Club spokesman Gordon Lawton said today: “We’re really looking forward to it, it’s been a long time coming.”

Smethwick-born Hughes had been pinning his hopes on the outcome of a recent parole hearing and was putting himself through a tough fitness regime behind bars in a bid to return to the game in time for the start of the season.

Oldham Athletic were told this week of the release date. He will miss their first game of the season on August 11 against Swansea but is expected to be available for the game against Bristol Rovers on August 25 at the club’s Boundary Park home.

Mr Lawton said: “We’ve been told he’ll probably take a week’s holiday when he comes out but he’ll be available soon after that.

“Although he’ll be around for the Bristol Rovers match, we expect him to play in a reserve game or two first. It depends on how fit he’s been keeping himself in prison. But we understand he’s been keeping himself fit inside and should be close to match-ready when he gets out.”

Oldham’s chief executive Alan Hardy said the club has had little contact with Hughes over a pre-season training programme.

“He knows what he has to do,” said Mr Hardy.

Hughes, who started his professional career with Kidderminster Harriers, will have served just half of his six-year prison sentence.

He was travelling in his £100,000 Mercedes in Meriden, near Coventry, in November, 2003, when the fatal collision took place. His car hit a vehicle carrying Douglas and Maureen Graham. Mr Graham was killed instantly. His widow died in her sleep 13 months later.

West Bromwich Albion sacked Hughes from his £16,000-a-week contract just minutes after the jury returned its guilty verdict at Coventry Crown Court in 2004. However, the former Coventry forward negotiated a move to Oldham while still in prison. Oldham have called on fans not to pass “moral judgment” on Hughes.

Exclusive by Marion Brennan

Scott D
8/21/2007, 02:08 PM
I also forgot to add that Leonard Little of the Rams has served no jail time, and if there is one player in the NFL not named Vick or Adam Jones that belongs in jail for what they've done off the field, it's Leonard Little.

jk the sooner fan
8/21/2007, 02:19 PM
i agree on Leonard Little and its a shame the NFL didnt take a stance when they should have

GrapevineSooner
8/21/2007, 03:12 PM
i normally like what JJ Taylor writes in the Dallas Morning News, but I could not disagree with him more on
this article (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/jtaylor/stories/082107dnspotaylor.2e3f55f.html)

there's more to the article, but JJ's response to my email this morning tells me where he's thinking.......that simply serving a prison sentence will rehabilitate Vick

You actually enjoy reading Jon Jock Taylor?

I think he's a second-rate writer.

That sucks.

JohnnyMack
8/21/2007, 03:33 PM
If he serves his time and afterwards a team in the NFL wants his services, I say let him play.

sooneron
8/21/2007, 03:38 PM
Let him earn a living in arena football if he wants. I hope the nfl sets some sort of precedent with this crap.
The league's image is in the ****ter, it's time to flush.

I'm also willing to bet that the only thing that Mike is remorseful about is getting caught. His gene pool proves that the idiot is dumber than a bag full of hammers.

GrapevineSooner
8/21/2007, 03:39 PM
I say let him serve his sentence and when he gets out, decide at the time.

Showing remorse for his actions at his sentencing would be a good first step in right direction as far as I'm concerned.

And Leonard Little should have served jail time.

hurricane'bone
8/21/2007, 03:40 PM
but if he's still marketable he may still have a job when he's done. have the Falcons even cut him?

i bet once this blows over and he does some PSAs for the SPCA he'll end up some place like Detriot that sucks, or in Dallas

Falcons won't cut him, they'll let the NFL suspended him which will put him in default of his contract and allow them to go after his signing bonus. If they cut him they don't have any recourse to get that money.

Scott D
8/21/2007, 03:48 PM
Falcons won't cut him, they'll let the NFL suspended him which will put him in default of his contract and allow them to go after his signing bonus. If they cut him they don't have any recourse to get that money.

exactly...this is the likely scenario. And, I'd say with Vick the likely scenario is he gets the 18 month sentence. He then serves a 1 year suspension from the NFL after his jail time. Someone will take a shot on him in 3-4 years, you can almost guarantee it.

jk the sooner fan
8/21/2007, 03:48 PM

exactly

and grapevine - i'll agree that JJ is not the greatest writer in town but he has access that alot of the others dont

tulsaoilerfan
8/21/2007, 08:39 PM
i agree on Leonard Little and its a shame the NFL didnt take a stance when they should have
Cause Tags had no balls when it came to player screw-ups; Goodell seems like he will be holding the players to a very high standard, which is how it should be

SoonerGirl06
8/21/2007, 09:22 PM
Showing remorse for his actions at his sentencing would be a good first step in right direction as far as I'm concerned.

Seriously... the only remorse Vick will show at his sentencing is the fact that he got caught. If he was really remorseful, he would have admitted his wrong doing from the get go, not wait till his a*s was in a sling and had no wiggle room.

Personally, I'm getting tired of stars and athletes getting slapped on the wrist for their wrong-doings. It's time they actually start paying the consequences for their illegal activities.

jk the sooner fan
8/21/2007, 09:25 PM
Vick flat out lied to both his team owner and the commissioner when he was questioned about his involvement in this

he's taking a plea bargain to save his a5s from an even longer trip to the pen.........i dont call that remorse

TUSooner
8/21/2007, 10:07 PM
I say Vick deserves consecutive sentences.
Dean himself, PETA's soul enemy, is not squeamish or maudlin about killing animals when they need killin'. But I gair-onn-tee that even Dean in a drunken rage would never cruelly torture any dumb beast (even Sic 'Em or Howzit) like "ookie" did. What Vick did shows his deep-down depravity; he should be castrated with the gavel.
**** his ***!!!!

Collier11
8/29/2007, 05:08 PM
IMHO, in this country everyone deserves to be forgiven and to be believed if they say they screwed up and are truly apologetic. From that point, it is up to the NFL teams, the commish, or any other boss of any job to decide if the redemption was firm enough and believable to hire them!

leematthews
9/14/2007, 01:37 PM
I think Vick deserves a second chance, definitely. Everyone makes mistakes; I mean I think we should all stop judging him because his mistakes were cast in the spotlight.

Anyway, as far as Vick getting a chance to start at QB I'm not sure it seems like a likely possibility. Teams will hesitate toward making him a franchise quarterback. Sure he's talented, but never was a consistent passer. He'll probably be a backup if and when he returns. If he ever does make it back as a starting QB and wins, it will be one of those stories that ESPN will tab as "great redemption," and I think that is the best shot Vick has a chance to return to what he once was.