PDA

View Full Version : An Honest Question About OU's Campus

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2007, 07:13 PM
I'm going to make this an anonymous poll, but how many of you truly like the architectural style of OU's campus? I love OU, but I've never been a fan of that dark red brick with heavy cream trim and such on the buildings. I don't have any particular reason as to why I don't like it but I don't.

I like the school; I don't like the style.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/20/2007, 07:20 PM
It's OU, SicEm, fergodssakes. What could be wrong with it?

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2007, 07:22 PM
It's OU, SicEm, fergodssakes. What could be wrong with it?
I understand the loyalty issues involved with this which is why I made the poll anonymous. I mean, I've got plenty of complaints with Baylor but I never admit or talk about those complaints with outsiders.

But, clearly there are some things wrong with every school. OU's architecture is what's wrong with it.

Jimminy Crimson
8/20/2007, 07:26 PM
Prairie Gothic or Cherokee Gothic are the terms that are most frequently used to describe the buildings on OU's campus.

Some form of Georgian is what is predominant at a lot of schools around the country.

Do you actually like Baylor's campus, with steeples on every single building? Such as a parking garage... :confused:

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2007, 07:30 PM
Prairie Gothic or Cherokee Gothic are the terms that are most frequently used to describe the buildings on OU's campus.

Some form of Georgian is what is predominant at a lot of schools around the country.

Do you actually like Baylor's campus, with steeples on every single building? Such as a parking garage... :confused:

I love it actually. All the modern buildings have the same style, but not all of them have steeples. The Taj Garage has three steeples (along with a Chilis and Starbucks), but the new science building for example is simply magnificent.

sooneron
8/20/2007, 07:30 PM
I think the admin/old library bldgs are hawt! The newer structures around campus are nice too. Save for the pod buildings that are part of Fred Jones.

sooneron
8/20/2007, 07:31 PM
I love it actually. All the modern buildings have the same style, but not all of them have steeples. The Taj Garage has three steeples (along with a Chilis and Starbucks), but the new science building for example is simply magnificent.
I would like to see an example of what you deem "magnificent".

SoonerGirl06
8/20/2007, 07:32 PM
What exactly do you dislike about OU's architectural style?

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2007, 07:34 PM
I would like to see an example of what you deem "magnificent".
http://www.baylor.edu/pr/content_photos/002103.jpg
http://www.baylor.edu/pr/content_photos/002106.jpg
http://www.wolfelandscapes.com/gallery/BU-Science-Building.jpg

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2007, 07:36 PM
What exactly do you dislike about OU's architectural style?
I think my biggest complaint is the thick cream trim on the brick. Some buildings, like the main admin building, have a sort of boxy castle look to them and I don't like that either.

SoonerGirl06
8/20/2007, 07:40 PM
So instead, you prefer the multiple layers of cream colored brick like they have on some of the Baylor buildings?

proud gonzo
8/20/2007, 07:42 PM
But, clearly there are some things wrong with every school. OU's architecture is what's wrong with it. you have every right to your own opinion, and you have every right to voice that opinion, but somehow I think that statement is overstepping a bit. If your idea of "the problem with OU" is as superficial as how the buildings look, it doesn't really seem like you're in a position to judge.

mind you, i'm not complaining about your opinion but about how you've chosen to state it in this instance.

sooneron
8/20/2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah, well, I don't like ionic columns on modern architecture

SoonerGirl06
8/20/2007, 07:47 PM
They do seem off-balanced, don't they?

GottaHavePride
8/20/2007, 08:02 PM

That is not magnificent architecture.

http://goeurope.about.com/library/graphics/gal/barcelona_gaudi_1.jpg

THAT is magnificent architecture. The only buildings on OU's campus I dislike are the Physical Science Center and (heh) the architecture building. The rest of them look great. The part that makes them better is that many of the most notable (Evans, Holmberg, etc.) are actually 100 years old.

1stTimeCaller
8/20/2007, 08:09 PM
The architecture building at OU is the old geology building. And it's as bad if not worse on the inside as it is on the outside.

I don't really care for the brady bunch building or the boat. Whatever the Comm building is called.

And Sicem, I'll bet that none of the buildings at Baylor have a swastika like one of OU's buildings has on it.

proud gonzo
8/20/2007, 08:19 PM
I'll bet that none of the buildings at Baylor have a swastika like one of OU's buildings has on it.which one would that be?

1stTimeCaller
8/20/2007, 08:27 PM
I believe it's Evans. I could be wrong. Before Hitler and NAzi Germany used it to represent the Nazis it was a Native American symbol for something good. The building was build pre1930ish.

Someone please correct me about any part of what I just said although I know for a fact that one of our buildings has a swastika. The Daily seemed to run that story once a year when I was there.

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2007, 08:30 PM
Yeah, well, I don't like ionic columns on modern architecture
Good, becuause most of ours are Corinthian. :D

So, when OU builds a new building now do they keep that same style or do just the older buildings have that "prairie gothic" look?

PhxSooner
8/20/2007, 08:31 PM
I believe it's Evans. I could be wrong. Before Hitler and NAzi Germany used it to represent the Nazis it was a Native American symbol for something good. The building was build pre1930ish.

Someone please correct me about any part of what I just said although I know for a fact that one of our buildings has a swastika. The Daily seemed to run that story once a year when I was there.
Sutton Hall. Next to Physical Sciences. Burton Hall is the groovy boat building that has the communications dept.

And according to my Crimson Club OU history, the term of "Cherokee Gothic" is said to have come from Frank Lloyd Wright. But the same history also said there are rumors of ghosts in Ellison Hall, so, who knows.

JohnnyMack
8/20/2007, 08:34 PM
I think some of the "newer" ones suck. Like the architecture building, Dale, etc. All the old stuff rules. And ****.

sooneron
8/20/2007, 08:35 PM

So, when OU builds a new building now do they keep that same style or do just the older buildings have that "prairie gothic" look?
I need a higher res version- they looked ionic when magnified- ooh Corinthian? Even more tacky. and

Frank

Lloyd

Wrong!

PhxSooner
8/20/2007, 08:36 PM
I never understood the way they placed room numbers in Physical Sciences.

1stTimeCaller
8/20/2007, 08:39 PM
I think they just started grabbing room numbers randomly and placing them by doors. I had forgotten how hard it is to find a room in there.

sooneron
8/20/2007, 08:39 PM
Maybe it's the architecture that has kept Sic'em in Waco for so long!

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2007, 08:40 PM
I need a higher res version- they looked ionic when magnified- ooh Corinthian? Even more tacky. and

Frank

Lloyd

Wrong!

Here's a closer pic of the columns:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/159003774_20e34050e9.jpg
If you think the stream is bad (it ends in a huge fountain in a round square type area) then you should have seen the old fountain in front of Pat Neff Hall. Bad does not begin to describe that fountain. They tore it out though, I'll try to find another pic.

sooneron
8/20/2007, 08:40 PM
I think they just started grabbing room numbers randomly and placing them by doors. I had forgotten how hard it is to find a room in there.
My Mom loathed the year + that they housed her School in there. NIce windows, not!

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2007, 08:41 PM
Anyway, this is an exterior issue though. I like the inside of OU's faclities just fine. For example, I like your SUB far more than ours.

sooneron
Here's a closer pic of the columns:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/159003774_20e34050e9.jpg
If you think the stream is bad (it ends in a huge fountain in a round square type area) then you should have seen the old fountain in front of Pat Neff Hall. Bad does not begin to describe that fountain. They tore it out though, I'll try to find another pic.
Doric would have been a better choice, plus they can't be turned into nesting sites for pigeons/mockingbirds.

GottaHavePride

The buildings from the 60s and 70s look like they were from the 60s and 70s. (Dale Hall, Physical Science Center AKA "The Blender") but the newest new ones, like Gaylord hall, the stadium, the addition on the research building on north end of South Oval, and so on, have a more streamlined, less ornate version of the style on the older buildings. So the newest ones fit with the old ones, but in an updated way.

sooneron
8/20/2007, 08:42 PM
Anyway, this is an exterior issue though. I like the inside of OU's faclities just fine. For example, I like your SUB far more than ours.
I heard you like to cruise it on Weekend nights.:D

PhxSooner
8/20/2007, 08:43 PM
Back in the early 90s, after the asbestos was removed, Burton had the freakiest interior, with these multicolor windows and stuff. Very 60s.

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2007, 08:45 PM
The buildings from the 60s and 70s look like they were from the 60s and 70s. (Dale Hall, Physical Science Center AKA "The Blender") but the newest new ones, like Gaylord hall, the stadium, the addition on the research building on north end of South Oval, and so on, have a more streamlined, less ornate version of the style on the older buildings. So the newest ones fit with the old ones, but in an updated way.

Yeah, I've seen some of those new buildings and they are as you described (an updated less ornate version of the old). I suppose then it's just that old style that I don't really care for. I have no problem with streamlined look.

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2007, 08:46 PM
I heard you like to cruise it on Weekend nights.:D
Your mom likes to cruise it.

sooneron
8/20/2007, 08:48 PM
Your mom likes to cruise it.
But my Mom is not a young ghey male.:confused:

sooneron
8/20/2007, 08:48 PM
I like the job that they did with the Price building- vurry nice.

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2007, 08:49 PM
But my Mom is not a young ghey male.:confused:
I'm not very good at the quick witted retort. =(

GottaHavePride
8/20/2007, 08:50 PM

I forgot about that one.

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2007, 08:52 PM
Pic?

I found a pic of the old fountain. This is a view from the front. The water is red because of a NOZE brothers prank, but I think it was suppose to be pink.

Anyway, now this is bad. I don't think I've seen a big fountain though at OU's campus. Is there one?
http://www.thenoze.org/gallery/pictures/bestof/pictures/fountain4_large.jpg

CatfishSooner
8/20/2007, 08:53 PM
I think OU has one of the nicest campuses around...Gould (the Arch building) needs to be torn down for sure though. Agreed on Price being sweeeet

StuIsTheMan
8/20/2007, 08:57 PM
I heard that Architecture Building could use some attention...

AND THEY ARE PUTTING IN A FRIGGIN WATER PARK DUDE!;)

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2007, 08:58 PM
I heard that Architecture Building could use some attention...

AND THEY ARE PUTTING IN A FRIGGIN WATER PARK DUDE!;)
The water park could almost convince me to transfer assuming it ends up including the 50m competition pool.

sooneron
8/20/2007, 09:03 PM
The water park could almost convince me to transfer assuming it ends up including the 50m competition pool.
Oh, I don't think you'll want any competition at the pool.:D

Thank you, thank you very much!! I'll be here all week.

olevetonahill
8/20/2007, 09:04 PM
So instead, you prefer the multiple layers of cream colored brick like they have on some of the Baylor buildings?
He just likes Cream :D

sooneron
8/20/2007, 09:04 PM
There is a nice small fountain on the SO. My old dog used to love taking a dip in it!

TUSooner
8/20/2007, 09:52 PM
I'd just add some dark green ivy growing up the walls. Of course, the ivy would be brown in any year but this...

Vaevictis
8/20/2007, 10:18 PM

That building looks like a damned high school from a distance.

A big high school. But a high school none the less.

TUSooner
8/20/2007, 10:22 PM

I think it looks more like a Baptist church (maybe Presbyterian)

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2007, 10:27 PM
This is a parking garage.
http://www.baylor.edu/content/imglib/29647.jpg

Vaevictis
8/20/2007, 10:27 PM
Eh, maybe. It's the three branches that make it look like a high school to me.

Every high school I've ever been in had branches like that.

StuIsTheMan
8/20/2007, 10:28 PM

Nah dude...that one's mormon church fo sho

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2007, 10:33 PM
Apparently there isn't a lot of widespread support for my position on OU's architecture.

StuIsTheMan
8/20/2007, 10:35 PM
Apparently:confused:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/20/2007, 10:37 PM
You probably like the monochrome architecture of the Notre Dame campus.

StuIsTheMan
8/20/2007, 10:41 PM
You probably like the monochrome architecture of the Notre Dame campus.

heh?

GottaHavePride
8/20/2007, 10:45 PM
My beef with Notre Dame is not the architecture. It's that the minimum distance between buildings is 250 yards.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/20/2007, 10:47 PM
My beef with Notre Dame is that not only do a majority of their buildings look almost exactly the same, there's only one or two buildings that are even close to 100 years old.

proud gonzo
8/20/2007, 10:52 PM
http://www.baylor.edu/content/imglib/29647.jpg"boxy castle look" bothers you, but THAT's okay?

bluedogok
8/20/2007, 11:06 PM
The architecture building at OU is the old geology building. And it's as bad if not worse on the inside as it is on the outside.
At least they are mostly in one building instead of scattered all over campus like it was when I was there, the school was in the north end of the stadium. My labs were in the basement of The Old Science Hall and there were classes wherever they could have them. Gould Hall is still a disgrace, but better than no home....pretty much all of the 60's era buildings are bad.

SicEmBaylor
8/20/2007, 11:27 PM
For a parking garage you bet your *** I like it.

olevetonahill
8/21/2007, 12:21 AM
Apparently there isn't a lot of widespread support for my position on OU's architecture.
Ya think ?

StuIsTheMan
8/21/2007, 12:28 AM
"boxy castle look" bothers you, but THAT's okay.

http://cakeordeath.files.wordpress.com/2006/02/StuartSmalley.jpg

fixed

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/21/2007, 12:44 AM
Apparently there isn't a lot of widespread support for my position on OU's architecture.Take your position to magnawhorn.phhfft if you want some support.

SicEmBaylor
8/21/2007, 12:59 AM
Take your position to magnawhorn.phhfft if you want some support.
Their entire campus just sucks ***. I just don't like the old style architecture at OU, but UT's entire campus sucks.

Octavian
8/21/2007, 01:14 AM
No way does UT's campus suck. I really like both OU's and UT's campuses.

OU has a more appealing and more uniform architecture style....the 40 Acres is much bigger and has about five times as many hawt wimmins. Austin has better natural scenery.

But the Fock > DKR. That makes a big difference.

Now A&M....there's an East Berlin style campus setting. All grey and drab....no excitement. No diversity. Very depressing.

FWIW....Columbia is the best Big XII campus I've seen. Never been to Boulder though.

all jmo

goingoneight
8/21/2007, 02:05 AM
I don't hear anyone complaining about the bricks in Stoolwater. :D

StoopTroup
8/21/2007, 03:00 AM
Those Baylor pics look like an airport departure area.

olevetonahill
8/21/2007, 05:10 AM
Their entire campus just sucks ***. I just don't like the old style architecture at OU, but UT's entire campus sucks.
When were you hired as " Interior Decorator " ? :P

TheHumanAlphabet
8/21/2007, 07:58 AM
Outside of the Blender Building, the Battlestar Banowsky Clock Tower and Library addition and the Carson Engineering, the architecture is classic. The red brick only enhances it - IMO.

King Crimson
8/21/2007, 08:29 AM
Those Baylor pics look like an airport departure area.

the residential hall looks exactly like the assisted care place my g-maw lives in N. OKC. 5 story baptist strip mall "modern".

the housing towers at OU would be my first demolition choice. the Fred Jones building and the other Le Corbusier "let's pour some huge, angular concrete slabs" right on Boyd were probably kind of daring inna day....but look a little misguided today.

i don't see much validity in the brick complaint. you make bricks out of the soil/quarry at hand. hence, red dirt=red bricks. i also don't see how hating on the Bizzell (old)--Cherokee Goth style is anything but kind of dumb. some of the buildings from the 50's and 60's, i could see.

my other complaint (note: not for sic'em to read since its not for "outsiders") might be the excessive $ the university spends on landscaping and flowers. it's beautiful but seems a little forced. also, acting on every whim of Molly Boren's seems to be a fairly expensive way of doing business.

in the inevitable "prettiest conference campus" threads you see in the off-season on other boards i'd say the top half pecking order generalizes as such (usually):

Tier 1: KU, MU and CU

Tier 2: OU, whichever campus is the host board, sometimes UT and OSU.

the SW conference schools aren't usually represented that well. ATM is a blocky sprawl, Tech (love it or hate it La Quinta Inn style--i kind of like it), Baylor (may be a product of few people having been there, reminds me of SMU--meh), Nebraska gets little love. doesn't seem like too many people have been ti ISU or KSU.

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2007, 08:33 AM
Don't even get me started on Gould Hall (the arch building). I "lived" there 5 years and hated that place. However, it was an upgrade from the old college of architecture, which was in the STADIUM.
Gould is a terrible place. One of the reasons OU COA can't get a 5 year accrediation is that their building does not meet CODE. It's not ADA accessible, there is no hot water, and many many many other things wrong. BUT, OU COA hasn't had a grad ever get rich enough to donate $$ for a new building, so they are stuck with what they have. Dean Phillpot has tried many many times to get a new building or at least get the place renovated, but Boren turns it down every time. The COA doesn't have enough football players I guess.
That said, I'll hush. I got a decent education from there and I feel I'm doing pretty well for myself, even though I'm not using my degree. The building is just an eye sore and a campus joke.

1stTimeCaller
8/21/2007, 08:44 AM
Dean Philpot is a joke. When I was there 90% of our classes were in G13, the room in the basement nest to the library. The CNS computer lab does have a nice view of the practice field.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/21/2007, 08:58 AM
Dean Phillpot has tried many many times to get a new building or at least get the place renovated, but Boren turns it down every time. The COA doesn't have enough football players I guess.
That said, I'll hush.

Funny, Gould Hall used to be the Geologists building IIRC...

I would bet that not enough football players isn't your problem. I would bet not enough male loving broadway show/acting/watching graduates with paintings would be the problem...;)

OklahomaTuba
8/21/2007, 09:02 AM
The new journalism building sure helps cover up that POS gould.

OU shouldn't stop re-building itself until all the buildings not in the campus style are replaced.

And I hope to God they start doing something with the residential side of campus soon. That is a major eye sore!

royalfan5
8/21/2007, 09:21 AM
For Nebraska, City Campus is pretty blah, but East Campus has a lot of interesting older buildings. However, most never see East.

IB4OU2
8/21/2007, 09:29 AM

I thought it looked like a residental building at Griffin Memorial.

Osce0la
8/21/2007, 10:39 AM
I kinda like this campus:
http://www.novumtestamentum.com/img/tallahassee/fsu-westcott-building.jpg
http://www.fsu.edu/Pictures/Full/Buildings/Law.jpg
http://www.fsu.edu/Pictures/Full/Buildings/Dodd.jpg
http://www.fsu.edu/Pictures/Full/Buildings/University-Center.jpg
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/1762/doaknewcr3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And probably FSU's best:
http://www.fsu.edu/Pictures/Full/Buildings/Circus.jpg
:O

sooneron
8/21/2007, 10:45 AM
Hmm, georgian and gothic? Uh, no.

SicEmBaylor
8/21/2007, 08:14 PM
Isn't OBU's architecture similar to OU's?

SoonerGirl06
8/21/2007, 09:11 PM
http://www.baylor.edu/content/imglib/29647.jpg

And this is the reason why tuition rates are going through the roof... so you can park your freakin' car inside a boxy castle....

SicEmBaylor
8/21/2007, 09:32 PM
And this is the reason why tuition rates are going through the roof... so you can park your freakin' car inside a boxy castle....
Now, that is completely true. But you don't know the half of it.
I'm going to post a picture of everything that Baylor has built since I started school here in 2001.
Get ready,

North Village Dorm Complex:
http://www.baylor.edu/content/imglib/9518.jpg
Basketball Practice Facility:
http://www.baylor.edu/content/imglib/38455.jpg
Science Building:
http://www.baylor.edu/content/imglib/9512.jpg
Brooks College Dorm System (This is just a sketch, I couldn't find an actual pic because they just finished construction of it this month):
http://www.baylor.edu/content/imglib/36291.jpg
Baylor Stadium Improvements:
(no pic)
Taj Garage:
http://www.baylor.edu/content/imglib/32226.jpg
George W. Truett Seminary:
http://www.baptiststandard.com/2002/3_4/images/truett_aerial.jpg
Panhellenic Center:
http://www3.baylor.edu/STACYRIDDLEFORUM/images/outside.jpg
The new law school:
http://www.baylor.edu/content/imglib/40124.jpg
Mayborn Museum:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/07/08/100/ARISS-Mayborn-1.jpg
Tennis Stadium:
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/bay/graphics/bay-ten-03-300.jpg
Equestrian Center:
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/bay/graphics/06-bu-wfe1-600.jpg

There's also two other garages that have been built plus several other smaller project like a new faculty center, a renovated bear habitat center, and the such.

In the pipe line right now is a large expansion of our Student Union and the football practice facility.

So, it isn't just that garage that has made our tuition go up! Like I said, all of that has been built within the last 5-6 years or so.

def_lazer_fc
8/21/2007, 09:40 PM
i think my favorite is the stacks at the library. spookiest place ever at night.

Rogue
8/21/2007, 09:43 PM
I love the old library building. Gargoyles, great reading room, good times.

PhxSooner
8/21/2007, 10:19 PM
I like the elevators to nowhere in some of the old study rooms.

bluedogok
8/21/2007, 10:37 PM
Dean Phillpot has tried many many times to get a new building or at least get the place renovated, but Boren turns it down every time. The COA doesn't have enough football players I guess.
That said, I'll hush. I got a decent education from there and I feel I'm doing pretty well for myself, even though I'm not using my degree. The building is just an eye sore and a campus joke.
It would also help if they could keep a dean for longer than a few years who could politic their way up the food chain. Murlin Hodgell was the dean at the time that I was there and he was stepping down....of course that was before the child porn charges.

I don't really know of any architecture program that has athletes in it, maybe construction science but not the design end. The only athlete that I knew of in the architecture department was William Tisdale, but then he didn't have the demands that his brother had. I don't know if he finished or not.

SicEmBaylor
8/21/2007, 10:38 PM
TD, what was your degree in?

King Crimson
8/21/2007, 10:42 PM
i think my favorite is the stacks at the library. spookiest place ever at night.

i love the glass tiles in the floor so you can see the shadowy figures above and below you haunting for books. the 7 foot ceilings are cool, too. i think.

King Crimson
8/21/2007, 10:51 PM
i think i stayed in one of these just off the interstate near (insert anywhere in the US). OU has the same in the old Sheffield Arms or whatever the hell they were called on Imhoff and Chautauqua, so does CU--. the new "Dorm" paradigm.

the new building program reminds me of the University of Denver, where i worked last year...at a greater scale (BU). these odious stripmall with "classic" motifs" architectures remind of the historian Jacob Burkhardt's assertion that a society in progress does not have cultural projections that use the past as a justification (paraphrase).

give me something weird over a block inspiration with a steeple edifice or Georgian "accent" on top.

see my posts about the Southern Hills clubhouse.

SicEmBaylor
8/22/2007, 02:23 AM
i think i stayed in one of these just off the interstate near (insert anywhere in the US). OU has the same in the old Sheffield Arms or whatever the hell they were called on Imhoff and Chautauqua, so does CU--. the new "Dorm" paradigm.

the new building program reminds me of the University of Denver, where i worked last year...at a greater scale (BU). these odious stripmall with "classic" motifs" architectures remind of the historian Jacob Burkhardt's assertion that a society in progress does not have cultural projections that use the past as a justification (paraphrase).

give me something weird over a block inspiration with a steeple edifice or Georgian "accent" on top.

see my posts about the Southern Hills clubhouse.

BUUUUUT,
This dorm complex also has its own outdoor cafe. That makes it European and therefore very classy. ;)

King Crimson
8/22/2007, 02:32 AM
is that the leaning tower of Pisa on the left?

TopDaugIn2000
8/22/2007, 08:39 AM
TD, what was your degree in?

architorture

SicEmBaylor
8/22/2007, 01:37 PM
architorture
And you don't use it? I figured that'd be a highly employable degree.

TopDaugIn2000
8/24/2007, 07:59 AM
nope, I don't use it.

a lot more money in other areas. architectural interns don't make $hit. my friends that are now taking their exams are making about 60% of what I'm making.