PDA

View Full Version : I was in a car accident last week

MamaMia
8/20/2007, 10:01 AM
The girl who ran the stop sign and hit me and my Sooner mobile has the same insurance agent as I do. I'm pretty banged up and went to the doctor. He wanted to run some expensive tests but the letter I got says that she only has $5000.00 in medical coverage, and to make matters worse, I just found out that my medical insurance wont pay for car accident owies.

I have a lot more coverage than that. Is that the minimum amount of coverage that people can have in Oklahoma? :confused:

Any advice?

SoonerBorn68
8/20/2007, 10:04 AM
I thought it was 10/20/10

SoonerBorn68
8/20/2007, 10:06 AM
We had a car get totaled in our driveway which ended up wiping out the neighbor's car too. The driver only had 10/20/10 but we had uninsured motorist so our car got fixed. Our insurance company ended up going after the guy personally for what his coverage didn't pay for.

yermom
8/20/2007, 10:21 AM
man, having the same agent, that's gotta be rough

sooner_born_1960
8/20/2007, 10:25 AM
I hope you are ok.

soonerbrat
8/20/2007, 10:25 AM
The girl who ran the stop sign and hit me and my Sooner mobile has the same insurance agent as I do. I'm pretty banged up and went to the doctor. He wanted to run some expensive tests but the letter I got says that she only has $5000.00 in medical coverage, and to make matters worse, I just found out that my medical insurance wont pay for car accident owies.

I have a lot more coverage than that. Is that the minimum amount of coverage that people can have in Oklahoma? :confused:

Any advice?

i think that means she only has $5000 medical coverage for herself. You can get her maximum policy. and if she doesn't have enough, you can make an un/derinsured motorist claim if you have UM coverage. Hopefully you have different adjusters.

achiro
8/20/2007, 10:37 AM
i think that means she only has $5000 medical coverage for herself. You can get her maximum policy. and if she doesn't have enough, you can make an un/derinsured motorist claim if you have UM coverage. Hopefully you have different adjusters.
I would agree with brat. I've never seen one that would limit you to that low of an amount if it were here fault.

MamaMia
8/20/2007, 10:54 AM
I hope you are ok. Thank you. It could have been much worse. I'm so worried that my insurance company will cancel me. I've had 3 hail damage claims, and now this. On one of the X-Rays, it looks like I have a chipped bone on my femur and my neck spine area is all messed up. I can barely walk because of some muscle or joint thing going on and my knee is really bad. The doctor said that he cant make any recommendations without further tests.

I really wish that my medical insurance would pay for the necessary tests. I have uninsured motorists but since she has insurance, would that pay for anything? The doctor wants me to have a couple of MRIs but since my insurance wont pay for it, I'm afraid to have them done.

I have State Farm.
They sent me a letter wanting me to sign this form called...
Authorization for Medical Release of Medical/Employment Information

Should I sign this right now or wait? I've only had one other traffic accident in my whole life, which was 20 years ago. I honestly don't have a clue as to what I should do.

Petro-Sooner
8/20/2007, 11:03 AM
Get better soon!!!

sooner_born_1960
8/20/2007, 11:21 AM
I never would have thought my health insurance wouldn't cover me if I was in an automobile accident. Do you carry UM coverage. I think the "U" also stands for "under". You agent should explain what is and isn't covered.
Where the hell is Mike Rich? He knows all about this stuff.

jk the sooner fan
8/20/2007, 11:32 AM
get an attorney

Frozen Sooner
8/20/2007, 11:51 AM
Her BI coverage is the relevant coverage if she's at fault, not med pay. Med pay covers you and anyone in your vehicle when you're at fault.

NormanPride
8/20/2007, 01:21 PM
Get well soon, Mom!

You want I should go "collect" the money from this individual? :mad:

Frozen Sooner
8/20/2007, 01:51 PM
Oh, yeah.

Official department vocabulary guidelines state that we no longer refer to them as "accidents" but as "collisions." "Accident" implies that there was nobody to blame.

jk the sooner fan
8/20/2007, 02:05 PM
yet the policy, at least in texas, specifically covers an auto accident

Frozen Sooner
8/20/2007, 02:13 PM
It was a quote from "Hot Fuzz." :D

Phil
8/20/2007, 06:00 PM
Mama, I do this for a living. The minimum liability limits in Oklahoma are 25K/50K - there's plenty of coverage available to you. The 5K is medical payments coverage, which doesn't come out of the liability limits and pays medical bills arising out of an accident. Her med pay doesn't apply to you anyway, if it's on her policy. I'm not sure why they would have told you the med-pay limits on her policy anyway, since it's first-party coverage and would never apply to you. If you have med-pay on your policy, it will apply to pay your medical bills, and on top of that, you can recover for those bills again from her liability coverage. It's not unusual for a health insurer to refuse to cover bills related to a car accident.

Whatever the case, you should have the tests and treatment your doctor advises you to have. Worst case, you can have them file a lien on your insurance claim. Whatever you do, get the treatment/tests you need.

Check your PM.

soonerboomer93
8/20/2007, 06:41 PM
HMFIC has spoken, you must obey

TheHumanAlphabet
8/20/2007, 07:18 PM
I have State Farm.
They sent me a letter wanting me to sign this form called...
Authorization for Medical Release of Medical/Employment Information

Should I sign this right now or wait? I've only had one other traffic accident in my whole life, which was 20 years ago. I honestly don't have a clue as to what I should do.

Don't sign anything, call the Texas Hammer! He'll get you money. Honestly, sounds like you need representation.

Hope you get better soon.

Okla-homey
8/20/2007, 07:33 PM
...and, FWIW, instestingly, it makes no diff in OK whether its an "under" or "un-insured" sichiashun. If you have UM coverage, and the tortfeasor lacks sufficient coverage to pay your bills, I believe your carrier must pay from the "first dollar" under either circumstance. ;)

Phil
8/20/2007, 09:39 PM
True enough. In most states, there's a difference between "uninsured" and "underinsured" coverage, but in Oklahoma, it's all defined as "uninsured" according to our statute.

36 OS 3636 (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=87144)

Burch v. Allstate (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/deliverdocument.asp?cite=1998+ok+129)

sanantoniosooner
8/20/2007, 09:46 PM
I'm going on 3 weeks and USAA is still trying to determine liability for the parking lot collision.

It was 100% the other guys fault, but I have a feeling it wont pan out that way. It's my word against his.

jk the sooner fan
8/20/2007, 10:21 PM
parking lot accidents are the worst to adjust......normally anyway

soonerbrat
8/20/2007, 10:41 PM
I'm going on 3 weeks and USAA is still trying to determine liability for the parking lot collision.

It was 100% the other guys fault, but I have a feeling it wont pan out that way. It's my word against his.

oh boy..get ready to bend over. USAA is the WORST EVAR!!!!!

one of their insureds totaled my car a couple years ago and they offered $4000 for my car..i said screw you guys and claimed it on my own insurance and my insurance company gave me $5800 for my car and then subrogated. I had a 2000 mazda protege... They also tried to screw me over on my medical bills.

the worst thing about that stupid accident is that I only had about 5 payments left on the car and i was going to give it to my son and buy a new one..no more car for my son.

Mama, take Phil's advice...for reals..i hope you are OK and you feel better soon.

goingoneight
8/21/2007, 02:16 AM
Gawd, insurance is ghey. Sorry, MamaMia... I got hit by a Longhorn-lover in Tulsa a a year ago and had to file suit to get my ride paid for. He rear ended my truck and bent the frame to the point that the bed gashed into the side of the cab. He got a speeding ticket, a driving too fast for icy conditions kinda violation and was listed at fault for all damages to the four-car wreck.

His attorney calls my house weeks after the snow and crap had melted, I'm driving a rental still and he wants "my statement." I told him his whorn-lovin' client rear-ended me while speeding on an icy road, admitted to it and WILL pay for it.

Needless to say, they settled pretty fast. I even got my rental fees and my trip to Dallas paid for because of my trouble.

StoopTroup
8/21/2007, 02:59 AM
Get well Sooner!

Hang in there Mama...

Listen to Phil, Homey and JK...they won't steer you wrong.

olevetonahill
8/21/2007, 04:51 AM
Mom Please get well ok ?
Call Phil he knows his shat !
Now Brat If you need to get Kiddo a ride Peem me Ill help ya out again . ;)

AlbqSooner
8/21/2007, 06:41 AM
If she has a $5K med pay coverage she has to have at least a 25K liability policy. The liability is what you will be collecting from for your injuries. Go see an attorney BEFORE you sign anything. In Florida you can make demand for the Med Pay as well, but it sounds like Phil is saying Oklahoma does not do that. At any rate, if you have UM coverage, notify them but you are not generally entitled to collect on that until you have exhausted her liability. Go see an attorney. In personal injury claims they will almost always get you more money than you can get on your own - - - even after they withhold reasonable fees from the claim.

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: Get well soon.