PDA

View Full Version : Clausen Pulls a Bomar...Sort of

sooner518
8/20/2007, 09:12 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2007/08/20/bc.fbc.clausencited.ap/index.html
Irish QB, gets misdemeanor for transporting alcohol

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) -- Freshman Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen has entered a pretrial diversion program after receiving a misdemeanor citation for transporting alcohol as a minor, a newspaper reports.

Indiana State Excise Police cited Clausen and a 23-year-old on June 23 outside a liquor store near the University of Notre Dame campus, police said Friday.
ADVERTISEMENT

Excise police were in an unmarked car outside the store to catch minors attempting to get alcohol, Lt. Tim Cleveland, a police spokesman, told the South Bend Tribune.

Clausen was cited for a misdemeanor citation, while the 23-year-old, a recent Notre Dame graduate, was cited for inducing a minor to possess alcohol, an infraction.

Clausen declined comment Friday through the university. Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis also declined comment.

Police said the 23-year-old entered the store and bought two 1.75-liter bottles of vodka, a 200-milliliter bottle of whiskey, and case containing 30 cans of beer.

Clausen remained outside the store in a Chevrolet Tahoe along with another Notre Dame freshman, who was not cited.

Clausen has entered a pretrial diversion program with the St. Joseph County prosecutor's office, said Linda Scopelitis, who directs the program.

Under the terms of the agreement, signed on July 11, Clausen agreed to pay a $170 fee and to not commit a similar offense for a year, Scopelitis said.

If he meets those terms, he will not face a misdemeanor charge for the June incident, she said. But if he's cited for the same offense within a year, he'll face two misdemeanor charges.

Clausen must also likely deal with the university's Office of Residence Life and Housing, as well as Weis.

The Irish open the season at home Sept. 1 against Georgia Tech.

Clausen, the nation's No. 1 recruit in the last recruiting cycle, is battling for the starting quarterback job at Notre Dame.

yermom
8/20/2007, 09:14 AM
i think "the Bomar" means something else now :O

stoopified
8/20/2007, 09:17 AM
Party time in South Bend.

Wishboned
8/20/2007, 12:24 PM
I don't see why he needs to buy alcohol. Can't he just turn water into wine?

Jacie
8/20/2007, 12:39 PM
Let's see what we can comment on here . . .

Clausen was cited for a misdemeanor citation, while the 23-year-old, a recent Notre Dame graduate, was cited for inducing a minor to possess alcohol, an infraction.

Do you really think the other guy had to induce Clausen to possess alcohol? Maybe Clausen thought of possessing some all by himself.

Police said the 23-year-old entered the store and bought two 1.75-liter bottles of vodka, a 200-milliliter bottle of whiskey, and case containing 30 cans of beer.

Where's the party? That haul sounds like some of my trips to Ole John's back in my frat party days.

Under the terms of the agreement, signed on July 11, Clausen agreed to pay a $170 fee and to not commit a similar offense for a year, Scopelitis said.

Means he has to get someone else do the possessing so all he has to do is drink it. I bet the agreement he signed didn't say anything about THAT!

sooneron
8/20/2007, 03:54 PM
Would that count as an ncaa infraction, seeing as how the guy was an alum? What if he gave the booze to dickweed?

SoonerBBall
8/20/2007, 04:29 PM
First off, the law is retarded. Someone underage can't drive an of-age person with alcohol around or wait for them outside of a liquor store? I can understand if they waited for a guy to walk out, then exchanged money for the liquor and drove off, but this is pretty stupid.

Second,

That is quality.

SoonerShark
8/20/2007, 04:31 PM

You are thinking of Christians, not cult members.

SoonerShark
8/20/2007, 04:35 PM
First off, the law is retarded. Someone underage can't drive an of-age person with alcohol around or wait for them outside of a liquor store? I can understand if they waited for a guy to walk out, then exchanged money for the liquor and drove off, but this is pretty stupid.

Second,

That is quality.

You are correct. Nothing stated showed he drank any, which would be a violation of law. What if I were a minor and drove my of-age brother who was home for the weekend to the liquor store because he was perhaps slightly intoxicated? My brother was being a responsible citizen by having me drive him unless he provided alcohol to me, me being a minor in this scenario.

soonernation
8/20/2007, 04:39 PM
Clausen remained outside the store in a Chevrolet Tahoe along with another Notre Dame freshman, who was not cited.

I wonder why the other freshman was not cited. His name probably did not generate the publicity that "Clausen" does.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/20/2007, 05:11 PM

heh....

That was an adult Jesus... This is a story about "the baby Jesus"...

boomersooner28
8/20/2007, 05:46 PM
HOLY POOPNUTS!

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2983275)

Weis is making excuses for Clausen, saying it was an "honest mistake."

Yeah right Charlie, I'm sure Clausen wasn't planning on drinking any of that alcohol. The other dude was gonna drink all of that by himself. :rolleyes:

GottaHavePride
8/20/2007, 08:16 PM
This isn't a Bomar. It's a Brent Rawls.

goingoneight
8/20/2007, 08:22 PM
But... but... but you HAVE to start the true freshmen!!! They made nice plays once or twice in a scrimmage!!!11! :stunned:

OU-HSV
8/20/2007, 08:50 PM
You are correct. Nothing stated showed he drank any....
You must have missed this part of the article:

The officer noted that Clausen attempted to hide (in his lap) an open bottle of Zima which contained a grape jolly rancher like substance at the bottom of the bottle. Upon retrieving the bottle from Clausen, the officer wrote him a ticket for "being a zima drinking p*ssy little arrogant California b*tch"...

;)

SoonerDood
8/21/2007, 12:02 AM
no that's Tim Tebow.

soonerinabilene
8/21/2007, 08:59 AM
You must have missed this part of the article:
Quote:
The officer noted that Clausen attempted to hide (in his lap) an open bottle of Zima which contained a grape jolly rancher like substance at the bottom of the bottle. Upon retrieving the bottle from Clausen, the officer wrote him a ticket for "being a zima drinking p*ssy little arrogant California b*tch"...

;)

Now that is quality.

OU-HSV
8/22/2007, 08:57 PM
Now that is quality.
Thanks!