PDA

View Full Version : Miami's QB Injured...

colleyvillesooner
8/20/2007, 09:06 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/606/story/208727.html

UM's Wright wobbly on sore knee
Kyle Wright, competing for the Canes' starting quarterback spot, has a knee injury and might not play in today's scrimmage.

Kyle Wright, who has an injured left knee, is competing with Kirby Freeman at quarterback.

Kyle Wright's chances of winning the University of Miami starting quarterback job might have taken a hit.

Wright, a senior, attended practice Sunday morning wearing an elasticized brace over his left knee. He was limping noticeably, and did not participate in the stretching and running drills that precede the main part of practice.

UM coach Randy Shannon said Wright has been experiencing knee soreness for at least a few weeks.

''He's been competing the whole camp with it, but now it's time for us to relax him and get him ready for the [season],'' Shannon said after practice.

Shannon said Wright might miss today's scrimmage in the Orange Bowl. He had said it will be the final scrimmage of preseason camp.

Wright, who missed the last four games of last season recuperating from thumb surgery on his right (throwing) hand, is competing with Kirby Freeman for the starting spot. Shannon has repeatedly said he will name the starting quarterback Aug. 28, the Tuesday before the Sept. 1 opener against Marshall.

NO DEPTH

If Wright is unable to start the season, Freeman, a junior, would be the only healthy quarterback on scholarship. His backup likely would be junior walk-on Matt Perrelli of Jupiter.

Newcomer Robert Marve, a nationally touted quarterback who was named Mr. Florida Football after his senior season at Tampa Plant High, is expected to be redshirted. Marve is recovering from surgery on his left (nonthrowing) hand after a car accident last month.

When asked whether Wright's injury is worrisome, Shannon said, ``No. Not all.''

Shannon said Freeman and Wright are neck-and-neck in competing for the starting job. He said being injured and missing the final scrimmage would not preclude a player from starting in the opener.

The media is allowed to watch only the first 25 minutes of practice, and during that time Sunday, Wright was a bystander.

He stood on the practice field holding a football and watched Freeman and Perrelli during drills.

On Saturday, offensive coordinator Patrick Nix said Wright and Freeman had been impressive throughout camp. Nix said he was pleased to have depth at quarterback.

''You feel a little bit more comfortable, if something happens to one, you've got the other,'' Nix said. ``I've been in situations where we had one [quarterback], and that was all we had, so you had to be extremely conservative. . . . and [would] go to bed praying every night that he doesn't get hurt, because if he does you don't know what you're going to do.

``So it's nice to have two of them that have the ability they both have.''

NINE STARTS IN '06

In nine starts last season, Wright completed 152 of 250 passes for 1,655 yards, with eight touchdowns and seven interceptions. Freeman, who started the final four games of last season when Wright was injured, completed 59 of 108 passes for 872 yards with seven touchdowns and eight interceptions.

Wide receiver Darnell Jenkins said the offense has been making strides with Wright and Freeman, who until Sunday had been splitting reps. Jenkins said the offense has developed confidence in both quarterbacks, working to perfect timing with Freeman and Wright.

''Our quarterbacks are dealing real good and if one gets hurt we have confidence in both of them,'' said Jenkins, a senior. ``It's not do-or-die if one of them goes down.''

• Today's scrimmage in the Orange Bowl is closed to the public and media.

• Linebacker Colin McCarthy and cornerbacks Randy Phillips and Glenn Sharpe did not practice Sunday. Shannon said Phillips and Sharpe might miss the scrimmage.

Miami Herald sportswriter Susan Miller Degnan contributed to the report.

birddog
8/20/2007, 09:09 AM
that's not very fluid writing there at the top.

colleyvillesooner
8/20/2007, 09:16 AM
Click the link.

It's just the way it pasted over. One is a caption for a picture, the other a subtitle.

birddog
8/20/2007, 09:17 AM
http://www.miami-hurricanes.com/forum/tt.asp?appid=1&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

here's a link to a cane message board if you're looking for fun.

yes, i was surprised they had one too.

birddog
8/20/2007, 09:18 AM
Click the link.

It's just the way it pasted over. One is a caption for a picture, the other a subtitle.

yeah, i was just funnin. their qb situation looks pretty bleak. is there a chance we treat him like seneca wallace?

47straight
8/20/2007, 10:16 AM
http://www.miami-hurricanes.com/forum/tt.asp?appid=1&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

yes, i was surprised they had one too.

Yeah me too, I thought they just hung out on youtube so they could mix in a lot of gangsta rap videos.

Tear Down This Wall
8/20/2007, 12:01 PM
Everything is falling into place...

...many imjuries to Longhorns...Miami's QB injured....

Maybe it's someone else's turn for early season bad luck this year. And such.

SelmaBamaFan
8/20/2007, 12:05 PM
Everything is falling into place...

...many imjuries to Longhorns...Miami's QB injured....

Maybe it's someone else's turn for early season bad luck this year. And such.

Well, yall still have the refs to deal with...

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/20/2007, 12:05 PM
I think the backup QB for Miami was pushing Wright for the starting job before the injury, so lets not assume its an automatic W

Tear Down This Wall
8/20/2007, 12:09 PM
I think the backup QB for Miami was pushing Wright for the starting job before the injury, so lets not assume its an automatic W

Oh, I don't think it's an automatic W. But, anything that hurts their passing game helps us while our defensive coaching staff juggles the secondary for the first three or four games of the season.

OklahomaTuba
8/20/2007, 12:21 PM
We need all the help we can get if this is a typical early season Brent Venables defense.

Salt City Sooner
8/20/2007, 12:26 PM
Thing is, from their games that I watched last year, Freeman is 10X more likely to tuck the ball in & take off when a play breaks down than Wright, & we've had a few issues with that type of QB in the past. I'm not terribly sure that I wouldn't rather have Wright in there, personally.

Jacie
8/20/2007, 12:28 PM
I thought the article was a little misleading, based on the title and the first half of it. It seems to be saying that one of the two players vying for the starting spot is injured and the only backup is a walk on. Then there's a quote from the Miami OC who is saying he likes the depth they have at QB. This leaves the reader to ponder which is it, do they have two to go with or one?

The Maestro
8/20/2007, 12:29 PM
Saying Kyle Wright is hurt is like saying Jake Sills is hurt.

Ron Powlus thinks Kyle Wright is a bust.

OUMonster
8/20/2007, 02:08 PM
We need all the help we can get if this is a typical early season Brent Venables defense.

Agreed about the defense. Following the UNT game we will probably be saying the same things like "If that's how we did against [UNT], just think what [Miami] is going to do."

The Maestro
8/20/2007, 02:21 PM
Agreed about the defense. Following the UNT game we will probably be saying the same things like "If that's how we did against [UNT], just think what [Miami] is going to do."

Man, some of you guys amaze me that you are afraid of the Miami offense. Defense? Yes, they have some studs. Offense? A joke. And a new offense at that. Kenny Dorsey, Andre Johnson, Frank Gore and others are not on this team. Vinny T. is the oldest QB ever, I think, in the NFL and Michael Irvin is getting up, looking up and never giving up these days. We will play four or five offenses better than Miami's this year.

canes4ever
8/20/2007, 07:57 PM

Here's one I like better..

http://miami.rivals.com/forum.asp

canes4ever
8/20/2007, 08:00 PM

This one is pretty active.

http://forums.miami.com/n/mb/listsf.asp?webtag=kr-canes&gfc=1&sts=3%2F16%2F2007+9%3A45%3A47+PM

canes4ever
8/20/2007, 08:03 PM
Oh, I don't think it's an automatic W. But, anything that hurts their passing game helps us while our defensive coaching staff juggles the secondary for the first three or four games of the season.

Freeman started the last 3 regular season games and the bowl game. His arm is not as strong but he is more mobile than Kyle.