PDA

View Full Version : Bob Mould or Frank Black?

sooneron
8/19/2007, 11:03 PM
Who's better? Discuss

:texan:

Turd_Ferguson
8/19/2007, 11:04 PM
Bob can't be beat.
http://www.popmatters.com/music/interviews/images/mould-bob-050725.jpg

No comparison
http://wendylynchphotography.com/FrankBlack6.jpg

sooneron
8/19/2007, 11:06 PM
I am leaning towards Husker Sugar

royalfan5
8/20/2007, 08:31 AM
Charles Thompson.

RacerX
8/20/2007, 09:40 AM
Bob.

sooneron
8/20/2007, 09:54 PM
No sign of Bri, KC, or any of the other WAYLT? posters?

sad day

King Crimson
8/20/2007, 10:34 PM
as far as stuff after the band of "name"--Husker Du or the Pixies. i'd say Mould. i've got FB's Teenager of the Year and another record i forget the name. they are good records but the post-Trompe Le Monde self-ironic surf affect heavy stuff gets on me after a while.

i don't think FB on his own has put out any "solo" records better than Workbook or Black Sheets of Rain.

considered in light of Husker and the Pix, i'd say FB never did anything as adventurous as Zen Arcade, Metal Circus or Land Speed.(or in the context/or lacktherof of "indie" rock in the early mid-80's when there simply was no formal infrastructure "to succeed"--while the Pixies were able to ride the backs of the first generation to a degree--so, more risk, BM). mid period Huskers, i think Flip your Wig still holds up today and Candy Apple Grey is a tweener at times but shows the shift in direction for Mould with 12 string acoustic numbers and not simply the blast ahead (but deceptively tuneful stuff on Flip, say)--with the Hart and Mould songs as clearly demarcated as even the most acrimonious Lennon/McCartney record. not crazy about Warehouse: but i never really was--kinda formulaic to me. some standout cuts, Charity, Chasity, P, and Hope comes to mind.

but, i'd say FB wrote a helluva lot of good songs with the Pixies--more than Mould with HD--but appears to have suffered more from the loss of the band than Mould who can still crank out stuff that wouldn't sound out of place on Candy Apple* or at the height of his creative powers. not so sure about FB--though he was truly great on the Pix reunion tour.

JMO.

*check the acoustic/solo version of Mould's Hoover Dam on the Burn to Shine DVD (i gave that you to i think, sooneron)....it would not sound out of place next to "hardly getting over it" on Candy Apple.

KC//CRIMSON
8/20/2007, 10:35 PM
Black Francis.

King Crimson
8/20/2007, 11:04 PM
a couple youtube Husker related curios:

the Birds "Eight Miles High": http://youtube.com/watch?v=NeqyCwAeT3I&mode=related&search=

and a kind of interesting song from the (only?) Grant Hart record: i think i'm one of the 9 people who bought this record in 90 or so when it came out. video is not so hot--better without the visual actually, but the song is interesting. open a new tab, and just listen.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1Dr4knEUN-M

the Huskers on the Joan Rivers show is interesting. signing with Warner Bros gets you some weird pull.

proud gonzo
8/20/2007, 11:10 PM
i have no idea what an;y of you are talking about

Soonerchaz
8/21/2007, 08:20 AM
as far as stuff after the band of "name"--Husker Du or the Pixies. i'd say Mould. i've got FB's Teenager of the Year and another record i forget the name. they are good records but the post-Trompe Le Monde self-ironic surf affect heavy stuff gets on me after a while.

i don't think FB on his own has put out any "solo" records better than Workbook or Black Sheets of Rain.

considered in light of Husker and the Pix, i'd say FB never did anything as adventurous as Zen Arcade, Metal Circus or Land Speed.(or in the context/or lacktherof of "indie" rock in the early mid-80's when there simply was no formal infrastructure "to succeed"--while the Pixies were able to ride the backs of the first generation to a degree--so, more risk, BM). mid period Huskers, i think Flip your Wig still holds up today and Candy Apple Grey is a tweener at times but shows the shift in direction for Mould with 12 string acoustic numbers and not simply the blast ahead (but deceptively tuneful stuff on Flip, say)--with the Hart and Mould songs as clearly demarcated as even the most acrimonious Lennon/McCartney record. not crazy about Warehouse: but i never really was--kinda formulaic to me. some standout cuts, Charity, Chasity, P, and Hope comes to mind.

but, i'd say FB wrote a helluva lot of good songs with the Pixies--more than Mould with HD--but appears to have suffered more from the loss of the band than Mould who can still crank out stuff that wouldn't sound out of place on Candy Apple* or at the height of his creative powers. not so sure about FB--though he was truly great on the Pix reunion tour.

JMO.

*check the acoustic/solo version of Mould's Hoover Dam on the Burn to Shine DVD (i gave that you to i think, sooneron)....it would not sound out of place next to "hardly getting over it" on Candy Apple.

Nice post. When you're talking about 2 of my favorite bands (and 2 of the most influential) then choosing between their front men is next to impossible. I'd have to tip my hat to Bob though. Even though Workbook is what...18 years old now?...I'd say Francis (nor Bob) has topped it since.

King Crimson...check out Frank Blacks Honeycomb. Very subdued for him...great players and a wonderful country(!) tinge.