PDA

View Full Version : Need help from SO computer gurus smarter than I!!!

goingoneight
8/19/2007, 03:48 AM
I was reading stuff on soonersports and all of a sudden I'm flooded with all of this spyware and anti-spyware crap. It changed my desktop background and it put three anit-spyware programs on my PC. Problem is, it's not anti-spyware and it disabled things like my Task Manager and my Norton AV.

Anyone know how I can get my Task Manager back?

Jerk
8/19/2007, 03:52 AM
Are you using IE? This kind of crap happened to me a lot when I used Explorer. I switched over to Firefox and have not a problem.

Do you have adware from lavasoft? It's free. I'd run that first and see if it gets rid of it.

goingoneight
8/19/2007, 04:17 AM
Whatever this is, it disabled all of my current settings, all I was doing was reading a message board.
"Ultimate Defender"... it won't go away... :mad:

Jerk
8/19/2007, 04:19 AM
Whatever this is, it disabled all of my current settings, all I was doing was reading a message board.
"Ultimate Defender"... it won't go away... :mad:

Yeah, they give you a virus, and the same people try to sell you the software to remove it. :mad:

I think they should be shot and hanged, don't you?

goingoneight
8/19/2007, 04:23 AM
I've tried everything I know... I am infuriated with my so-called Anti-virus program that failed to not only warn me, but leaves no trace to this crap for me to remove it. :mad:

soonerboomer93
8/19/2007, 06:06 AM
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic98811.html

soonerboomer93
8/19/2007, 06:07 AM
smitfraud will fix it

rufnek05
8/19/2007, 11:17 AM
try beating it with a hammer

Jerk
8/19/2007, 11:21 AM
About a year ago I got this kind of scam virus (where they give you an infection and try to get you to pay them to "fix" it) so I gathered up all the information I had and sent it to the FBI, with a ps at the end saying "I hope you find these people and burn their mother#$%@ing houses down." lol I bet they put me on one of their lists of people to watch.

yermom
8/19/2007, 11:28 AM
like you weren't already on that list ;)

GottaHavePride
8/19/2007, 11:57 AM
I'm running TrendMicro's antivirus and it's been pretty bulletproof so far. (I also use Firefox.)

I'd say if spybot, adaware, and an antivirus program can't clean it out, you're going to need heavier artillery. Maybe search the web for a removal tool.

And then, after you get it cleaned out, set your antivirus program to scan every single file that comes into your computer by any route before opening it. It'll slow your web browsing a little, but it's worth it.

yermom
8/19/2007, 12:10 PM
i use the AVG anti-spyware and anti-virus with no problems so far

but the #1 thing is Firefox over IE

well, that and stop looking at pr0n ;)