PDA

View Full Version : OU's Scrimmage Report

Jay C. Upchurch
8/18/2007, 10:34 PM
NORMAN —*Sam Bradford fired four touchdown passes, including two
to Adron Tennell, and DeMarco Murray rushed nine times for 105 yards to
highlight Oklahoma's football scrimmage Saturday night at Memorial Stadium.

A crowd estimated at 5,000 braved a steady rain to watch the workout,
which included 97 plays.

OU head coach Bob Stoops said he was pleased with the scrimmage and that the starting quarterback job is yet to be determined.

"We tried to give equal snaps (to the quarterbacks)," Stoops said.
"We're still deciding. I thought they all managed (the scrimmage) well.
We'll visit more about (the starting role).

"The offense had some big plays and some guys came up with some big
catches. The defense had some moments too. There is a lot of give and
take in something like this."

The offense scored on its first drive when Murray hauled in a seven-yard
pass from Bradford. Murray set the tone with a 60-yard burst during the
drive, which lasted five plays and covered 75 total yards.

The defense got on the board next when LB Lewis Baker picked off a Joey
Halzle pass and retuned it 10 yards for a touchdown.

Two drives later, freshman quarterback Keith Nichol hooked up with
Manuel Johnson on a 53-yard TD strike, the longest pass play of the
scrimmage.

Murray tacked on a three-yard run at the end of a 16-play, 65-yard drive
before Bradford tossed back-to-back scoring passes to Tennell. The
first covered 34 yards, the second 17. Then Bradford threw a 15-yard
touchdown pass to FB Matt Clapp.

"DeMarco made some people miss," Stoops said. "Adron came up with some nice catches. He's capable, he just needs to keep coming on."

Safety Nic Harris and cornerback Marcus Walker topped the defense with
seven tackles each.

Stoops praised the kicking game during his post-scrimmage comments.
Kicker Garrett Hartley made 6-of-8 field goals, including one from 57
yards and another from 61.

Punters Michael Cohen and Mike Knall continue to wage a good battle,
too. Cohen had nine kicks for a 43.4-yard average while Knall had 10
for 43.8.

Stoops said after the scrimmage that he is not sure his squad will have
another major scrimmage involving players listed high on the depth
chart. Classes start at OU on Monday and the team will begin its normal
afternoon practice sessions.

"This has been the most physical camp we've hard here," Stoops said.
"The guys have had a great attitude. Next week, we'll get into game
planning for early opponents."

Stoops said next week's workouts might include running back Allen
Patrick, who has been sidelined for nearly two weeks with a sprained
right ankle.

The season opening game for OU is Sept. 1 when North Texas visits
Norman.

The Sooners are ranked No. 8 nationally in both the Associated Press and
USA Today Coaches polls.

Scrimmage Stats

SCORING PLAYS

Murray 7-yard pass from Bradford

Baker 10-yard interception return

Johnson 53-yard pass from Nichol

Murray 3-yard run

Tennell 34-yard pass from Bradford

Tennell 17-yard pass from Bradford

Clapp 15-yard pass from Bradford

PASSING

Bradford 12-17-130, 4 TDs

Nichol 5-16-82, 1 TD

Halzle 8-23-47, 1 INT

RECEIVING

Tennell 3-84, 2 TDs from Bradford (34 and 18)

Clapp 2-32, 1 TD from Bradford (15)

Iglesias 2-17

Broyles 2-13

Kelly 2-9

Zaslaw 2-9

Gresham 2-6

Johnson 1-53, 1 TD from Nichol

Caleb 1-11

Bothun 1-7

Murray 1-7, 1 TD from Bradford

Finley 1-4

Mensik 1-4

Brown 1-3

Madu 1-2

Gutierrez 1-1

Stradford 1-(-3)

RUSHING

Murray 9-105

Brown 8-37

Gove 8-34

Madu 7-28

Gutierrez 8-26

Iglesias 1-(-9)

TACKLES

Harris 7

Walker 7

Bowers 6

Lofton 6

Smith 6

Wolfe 6

Baker 5

Beal 4

Moore 4

Pleasant 4

Reynolds 4

Bennett 3

Clayton 3

Davis 3

Franks 3

Reed 3

Box 2

Granger 2

Holmes 2

Robinson 2

Carter 1

Dotson 1

English 1

Fleming 1

Jackson 1

SACKS

Harris 1

INTERCEPTIONS

Baker 1 (10-yard TD)

FUMBLE RECOVERIES

Bowers 1 (0 yards)

FIELD GOALS

() -- indicates made

Hartley (6 of 8, 75%) - (27), (37), (47), (57), (61), (32), 47, 39

Stevens (3 of 4, 75%) - (27), (32), (37), 42

Moreland (1 of 1, 100%) - (47)

PAT

Hartley, 5-5 (100%)

PUNTS

Cohen (9 for 43.4 avg.) - 40, 35, 44, 54, 48, 45, 35, 40, 50

Knall (10 for 43.8 avg.) - 50, 35, 53, 35, 57, 45, 50, 43, 51, 54

OU SID Report

StoopTroup
8/18/2007, 10:56 PM
Bob is such a cool customer...

If Bradford had hit 80 TD's and 10,000 yards...

Bob would have said:

"We tried to give equal snaps (to the quarterbacks)," Stoops said.
"We're still deciding. I thought they all managed (the scrimmage) well.
We'll visit more about (the starting role).

snp
8/18/2007, 11:36 PM
There were 22 drives started and here's the breakdown:

Sam Bradford: Started 8 drives (6 with first team offense)
Keith Nichol: Started 7 drives (2 with the first team offense)
Joey Halzle: Started 7 drives (3 with the first team offense)

I'm still standing by my comments about KN not being ready and Bradford starting. It looked pretty clear that Bradford was the man tonight.

LittleWingSooner
8/18/2007, 11:45 PM
Bradford is the starting QB. Nichol is the fan favorite but he's not ready yet. But after tonight it's clear who the starter is.

birddog
8/18/2007, 11:49 PM
There were 22 drives started and here's the breakdown:

Sam Bradford: Started 8 drives (6 with first team offense)
Keith Nichol: Started 7 drives (2 with the first team offense)
Joey Halzle: Started 7 drives (3 with the first team offense)

I'm still standing by my comments about KN not being ready and Bradford starting. It looked pretty clear that Bradford was the man tonight.

i'll agree with that. maybe nichol will be the better qb in the long run but he just got on campus a couple of months ago. i think sb probably has a better grasp of the system and will make less mistakes.

like i said earlier, alot of people are really impressed with nichol, so it's a good problem to have.

snp
8/18/2007, 11:54 PM
Yup. KN has way more upside but that's not what is needed in this year's offense. OU needs a QB that can manage the plays, not make them all himself.

goingoneight
8/18/2007, 11:54 PM
The nice thing about having SB is not an All-Pro future like people predicted for all of the blue-chippers, it's the fact that he grew up dreaming of being a Sooner. He watched every game, likely even when it hurt to do so. He didn't flip-flop his verbal commitments when he was still being recruited... he stuck to his guns. He's worked hard and represented himself and his university with class. He doesn't get into fights with other people; IOW, he's a mental competitot, not a hot-head. OUr best quarterbacks are guys who are cool and calm, and that's one of his best attributes. He's always got a smile on his face, he's very well spoken, and seems eager to learn.
He'll make some mistakes like any other n00b, but he's a solid guy if he's indeed selected to be the guy.

Phantasm
8/18/2007, 11:56 PM
Looks more and more like Sam's the man! Which reminded me of the following ditty:
I do not like them in a box.
I do not like them with a fox.
I do not like them in a house.
I do not like them with a mouse.
I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

Yes, Sam is da man!

josh09
8/19/2007, 12:48 AM
Looks more and more like Sam's the man! Which reminded me of the following ditty:
I do not like them in a box.
I do not like them with a fox.
I do not like them in a house.
I do not like them with a mouse.
I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

Yes, Sam is da man!

Wow.

Yet i do agree with you :D

thatmediadude
8/19/2007, 01:52 AM
I think it is a pretty safe bet that Bradford gets the nod in 2 weeks from today. But I know all 3 QB's will get action at some point if OU takes care of business against the Mean Green.

Fraggle145
8/19/2007, 04:50 AM
Bob is such a cool customer...

If Bradford had hit 80 TD's and 10,000 yards...

Bob would have said:

you forgot:

He played in a great way.

:D

SOONER STEAKER
8/19/2007, 07:18 AM
I woud be comfortable with Bradford as the starter,Nichol the backup and Halzle as the extra point holder.

goss8572
8/19/2007, 07:48 AM
I would not count Nichol out just yet. Here is why:

--The 53 yd bomb to Johnson was the best ball I have seen thrown by an OU QB in 3 years. It was a Jason White type of ball. He has a zip on the ball the other guys do not have and he is very fast and elusive. I also saw him sling one about 50 yards off his back foot!
--Nichol looked awesome on the next drive, although he only had one completion. He threw 3 more beautiful passes of 20 yards or more on that drive that our top receives would easily have caught. His numbers would have been much better than 5-16 if had had been throwing to the top guys (how many did Chaney drop??)
--I missed his first series, but after that I never saw him make a poor decision or an overly risky throw. He also seemed to gain a lot of confidence after the 53 yd bomb.

Now, my thoughts on Bradford:

--The 4 TDs are a bit misleading. 2 of them came on red zone drills. The last one to Clapp was a screen pass that was nearly picked by the DB (he went for the INT and missed) and Clapp basically walked into the end zone from the 15. His longest pass completion was actually pretty badly underthrown, but Harris misplayed it and Tennell came back for it. Bradford did throw some pretty fades to Tennell.
--Bradford did make a few ill-advised throws, at least one which should have been picked and maybe two.

Although Bradford definitely had the better stats, I came away feeling like Nichol really showed up (although his numbers don't really reflect it) and threw the ball the best of the three. He also had a lot of nice scrambles for first downs (very important). I will not be surprised if Bradford is the starter, but I was very impressed with Nichol and I think the coaching staff would have taken notice of how well he played, even though he did not have the numbers that Bradford did.

Crimson Kid
8/19/2007, 08:02 AM
^sharkdiver, is that you??

PLaw
8/19/2007, 08:05 AM
i'll agree with that. maybe nichol will be the better qb in the long run but he just got on campus a couple of months ago. i think sb probably has a better grasp of the system and will make less mistakes.

like i said earlier, alot of people are really impressed with nichol, so it's a good problem to have.

Like Wilson said last week - Kid Nichol seems a little overwhelmed in some practice situations. Look for Nichol to red shirt, Bradford to start, and Halzle to back up. If Bradford gets hurt, then they pull the redshirt from Nichol and it's a toss up on who plays.

Next year we should be stacked at QB with Bradford, Nichol, and Jones. Could be a real horse race between Nichol and Bradford.

BOOMER
PLaw

SOONER STEAKER
8/19/2007, 08:05 AM
Goss good description. You put Berry Trammell to shame!

htownsooner7
8/19/2007, 08:13 AM
Can someone report on the D? Who started on the front 7? Who else got significant time with the #1 unit?

OuFan55
8/19/2007, 09:05 AM
Sounds like Bradford and Nichol both did well for the most part.

Having a delimma of which to start is a good thing, its better than not having a choice at all. Since both Bradford and Nichol are freshmen (although Nichol might be redshirt) the future bodes well for OU football.

This year will be a learn as you go year for whoever starts, but the talent surrounding them will keep things rolling. After the QB has a year experience he will still have several years left in the system.

The receiver quality, along with the O-line and running back quality will make the transition for the QB much smoother than what it could be.

This should be a very good year for OU Football. Bradford as a starter with Nichol as the backup could work out very well.:D

MojoRisen
8/19/2007, 10:01 AM
2 red zone TD's are a little mis leading. Also Nichol playing with the 2nd and third teams- but hitting Manual Johnson on a 50 yard bomb. I am all for Starting Bradford - but don't Red shirt Nichol just yet- Another 2 months and let's see where he is at. He is progressing enough to step in and play in my opinion and continue to progress.

Nichol is also the only one who did not throw an Oskie in a scrimmage - pretty consistent.

Ash
8/19/2007, 10:16 AM
2 red zone TD's are a little mis leading. Also Nichol playing with the 2nd and third teams- but hitting Manual Johnson on a 50 yard bomb. I am all for Starting Bradford - but don't Red shirt Nichol just yet- Another 2 months and let's see where he is at. He is progressing enough to step in and play in my opinion and continue to progress.

Nichol is also the only one who did not throw an Oskie in a scrimmage - pretty consistent.

I agree. I don't understand why we would redshirt the #2 QB on the team. If Bradford goes down, knock on wood, Nichol will need to step in. It really seems like Nichol is ahead of Halzle, more of a playmaker and more consistent.

soonerinabilene
8/19/2007, 10:48 AM
I know murray is good, but 105 yards on 9 carries against our d makes me worry about our d.

Also:

Hartley (6 of 8, 75%) - (27), (37), (47), (57), (61), (32), 47, 39

Damn.

thatmediadude
8/19/2007, 10:59 AM
Can someone inform us how the "D" Lineman, Ends looked? 1st team wise..

Scott D
8/19/2007, 11:09 AM
I agree. I don't understand why we would redshirt the #2 QB on the team. If Bradford goes down, knock on wood, Nichol will need to step in. It really seems like Nichol is ahead of Halzle, more of a playmaker and more consistent.

the important question is why do you hate Hays McEachern so much. ;)

tulsaoilerfan
8/19/2007, 11:21 AM
Nichol will not redshirt; at worst he will be the back up IMO

Ardmore_Sooner
8/19/2007, 11:31 AM
If Nichol redshirts, he transfers. IMO

GottaHavePride
8/19/2007, 12:14 PM
I know murray is good, but 105 yards on 9 carries against our d makes me worry about our d.

Also:

Damn.

Well, our D's probably not looking to take anyone's heads off at a scrimmage, so I would expect the rushing stats to be a little inflated.

And on Hartley's kicks: I saw him make one from 61 warming up before a game, but it's probably too low to work in a game situation. ;)

wdupyall
8/19/2007, 01:32 PM
Nic Harris will be all big 12 this year.

Ash
8/19/2007, 01:56 PM
the important question is why do you hate Hays McEachern so much. ;)

Heh. He's turned into "that other guy" when it comes to this competition. I've heard good things about him, but he clearly seems to be behind all three of the other guys.

Rhino
8/19/2007, 02:07 PM
I didn't make it to the scrimmage, but I'll take 71% completion percentage over 31% any day.

LosAngelesSooner
8/19/2007, 02:27 PM
I would not count Nichol out just yet. Here is why:

--The 53 yd bomb to Johnson was the best ball I have seen thrown by an OU QB in 3 years. It was a Jason White type of ball. He has a zip on the ball the other guys do not have and he is very fast and elusive. I also saw him sling one about 50 yards off his back foot!
--Nichol looked awesome on the next drive, although he only had one completion. He threw 3 more beautiful passes of 20 yards or more on that drive that our top receives would easily have caught. His numbers would have been much better than 5-16 if had had been throwing to the top guys (how many did Chaney drop??)
--I missed his first series, but after that I never saw him make a poor decision or an overly risky throw. He also seemed to gain a lot of confidence after the 53 yd bomb.

Now, my thoughts on Bradford:

--The 4 TDs are a bit misleading. 2 of them came on red zone drills. The last one to Clapp was a screen pass that was nearly picked by the DB (he went for the INT and missed) and Clapp basically walked into the end zone from the 15. His longest pass completion was actually pretty badly underthrown, but Harris misplayed it and Tennell came back for it. Bradford did throw some pretty fades to Tennell.
--Bradford did make a few ill-advised throws, at least one which should have been picked and maybe two.

Although Bradford definitely had the better stats, I came away feeling like Nichol really showed up (although his numbers don't really reflect it) and threw the ball the best of the three. He also had a lot of nice scrambles for first downs (very important). I will not be surprised if Bradford is the starter, but I was very impressed with Nichol and I think the coaching staff would have taken notice of how well he played, even though he did not have the numbers that Bradford did.
*guffaw*

OMG...it IS Sharkdiver!!! LMAO

I love how the Nicol die hards spin spin spin everything to make KN look like the second coming and SB and JH look bad! Wow...this "report" goes contrary to EVERY scrimmage report I've read about yesterday's game.

Thanks for the good laugh! :D

Scott D
8/19/2007, 02:30 PM
Heh. He's turned into "that other guy" when it comes to this competition. I've heard good things about him, but he clearly seems to be behind all three of the other guys.

see how nobody mentions his stats...he's our sekrit weapon we're going to unveil on the Mean Green of UNT when the game has gotten out of hand in the 2nd quarter ;)

Ash
8/19/2007, 02:41 PM
see how nobody mentions his stats...he's our sekrit weapon we're going to unveil on the Mean Green of UNT when the game has gotten out of hand in the 2nd quarter ;)

Cool. But now that you've mentioned it, the mods are going to have to delete the thread so UNT doesn't see this. :eek:

sooner KB
8/19/2007, 05:39 PM
*guffaw*

OMG...it IS Sharkdiver!!! LMAO

I love how the Nicol die hards spin spin spin everything to make KN look like the second coming and SB and JH look bad! Wow...this "report" goes contrary to EVERY scrimmage report I've read about yesterday's game.

Thanks for the good laugh! :D

I was there, and can confirm what he says. 2 of SB's TD's DID come during red zone drills, the long pass was severley underthrow (pass would have been an interception 80% of the time), and ask anyone in the stadium, everybody thought the pass to Clapp was going to be intercepted, it went right through the defender's hands.

I'm not sure if anyone kept track, but I can remember two really pretty deep balls thrown by KN that hit the receivers in the hands, and at least one or two mid-range passes that were dropped. I am almost certain KN would have been at least 9-16 had it not been raining and had he been playing with the first string receivers.

I'm not a KN "diehard", in fact, I'm leaning towards Bradford. My point is, don't trust stats over people who were actually there. I never got the feeling during the scrimmage that SB was head over heals over KN.

goss8572
8/19/2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks KB. I am not a Nichol diehard either, but I was getting tired of reading everywhere that Bradford blew everyone away and definitely won the job yesterday, when in my opinion that was not what happened. In fact, he did not do a whole lot until about the last 30 - 45 minutes of the scrimmage. I think most of the people writing the scrimmage reports were going off of secondhand information and stats.

Horns 72
8/19/2007, 07:45 PM

One reason he's "clearly behind" is that he's never been given a shot at any meaningful snaps. Several defensive players from his scout team years believed he should get to play, but it never happened.

SoonerKnight
8/19/2007, 07:51 PM
KN I hope starts then or at least ends up with the job by the time we play saxet!!!

Shneeg11
8/19/2007, 08:16 PM
I was there, and can confirm what he says. 2 of SB's TD's DID come during red zone drills, the long pass was severley underthrow (pass would have been an interception 80% of the time), and ask anyone in the stadium, everybody thought the pass to Clapp was going to be intercepted, it went right through the defender's hands.

I'm not sure if anyone kept track, but I can remember two really pretty deep balls thrown by KN that hit the receivers in the hands, and at least one or two mid-range passes that were dropped. I am almost certain KN would have been at least 9-16 had it not been raining and had he been playing with the first string receivers.

I'm not a KN "diehard", in fact, I'm leaning towards Bradford. My point is, don't trust stats over people who were actually there. I never got the feeling during the scrimmage that SB was head over heals over KN.

Had it not been raining, Bradford may have been 17/17... it rained for everyone...thats pretty weak, and maybe that says something about who the coaches are letting play with the first team.

But, I did hear that KN threw some great balls, and if he is not our starter, as someone said earlier (too lazy to see who), he is a good problem to have

sooneron
8/19/2007, 09:35 PM
I think it is a pretty safe bet that Bradford gets the nod in 2 weeks from today. But I know all 3 QB's will get action at some point if OU takes care of business against the Mean Green.
Is this your first season following a B Stoops OU team?

Ash
8/19/2007, 09:48 PM
One reason he's "clearly behind" is that he's never been given a shot at any meaningful snaps. Several defensive players from his scout team years believed he should get to play, but it never happened.

Shhh! Quit talking about the secret weapon!

:twinkies:

47straight
8/19/2007, 10:25 PM
Sorry, but how seriously do you think Nichol would transfer if he got redshirted? That just sort of blows my mind.

oumartin
8/19/2007, 10:50 PM
I'm fixin' to use my last year of eligibility and take the starting job from them all!

snp
8/19/2007, 11:46 PM

True, but he was going against the second string defense.

SoonerRecon
8/20/2007, 12:17 AM
miami breaks Bradford's leg, and #8 comes with Nichol at the helm.

goingoneight
8/20/2007, 12:31 AM
miami breaks Bradford's leg, and #8 comes with Nichol at the helm.

:mad:

Shneeg11
8/20/2007, 12:51 AM
as far as nichol transferring...its not really that serious of a thought, but whos to say he wouldn't?? if bradford gets the job and plays well, you think they will have another qb battle next year??

birddog
8/20/2007, 12:52 AM
as far as nichol transferring...its not really that serious of a thought, but whos to say he wouldn't?? if bradford gets the job and plays well, you think they will have another qb battle next year??
and landry jones will be in the mix then.

SoonerKnight
8/20/2007, 01:41 AM
Nichols will play some this year. I just don't think Bradford has the arm to keep up. I think we'll need Nichols but I could be wrong. Then again that might be why they keep saying they may use more than one QB.

Shneeg11
8/20/2007, 02:11 AM
I assure you Bradford's arm is strong enough to get the job done...Nichol does have a gun, but Sam has all the arm strength needed... have you seen otherwise? I still say that if we start a freshman (which we will one way or another) and that quarterback plays well, Landry Jones will decommit

goingoneight
8/20/2007, 02:16 AM
They're saying that still to cover up who they feel will be their guy. They know at this point whoever gets the nod is going to get bombarded with media. We could all guess, and most of us may be right in thinking Bradford... but we could also be dead wrong and Halzle starts because of team respect.
I am almost certain Nichol redshirts. The guy is a talented player, but he's too green and needs to build himself up a bit. Arm strength is not at all a problem for any of these guys comapred to Hybl and Heupel. Both of those guys have a ring and are/were worshipped when they were the guy. Nichol shows flashes of talent that begs to be developed, and not thrown in the fire before he's mature enough to handle it all. Halzle and Sam have an edge in that they've been to places like the Fiesta Bowl, they've been on the sidelines with greats like PT and AD in their better and lesser moments. They've warmed up in front of a screaming OU/Texas crowd, they've seen the marvel that is College Station, the record-biggest home crowd ever last season against Tx Tech, they've experienced a bitter environment in Stillwater in a game decided by the final throw. These things cannot be looked past when your QB is asked to do more than hand off or pitch the rock like the old bone QBs. And even some of the greats struggle as true-freshmen. I know we had a great run with Holieway, but that was about as special as the 47-game winning streak... no one else has ever done it. And that team had a much better defense than we're likely to see.

If Nichol plays at all this year, I see him getting in about game six or seven like Chris Brown did last year against Colorado. A game where victory is at hand, but there's still enough of a crowd to experience it all and get a few quality snaps. Even then, I don't know that he could steal the job, he'll just turn a lot of Sooner Fans against the starting QB like Tebow did last year to Leak, and like Bomar did to PT. Remember all the Texas fans booing Colt McCoy and thinking the blue-chipper Jevan Snead would save the day against Ohio State when they were down? Now Colt McCoy is a savior, and supposedly the next Aikman or Favre. McCoy is a good QB, but also a guy who stepped into a National Championship winning offense.
OUr offense doesn't have a crystal ball from last year, but they're skilled altogether in a better way. Basically, we didn't have a super-freak Vince Young last year. Not discrediting PT at all.

SoonerKnight
8/20/2007, 02:38 AM
I assure you Bradford's arm is strong enough to get the job done...Nichol does have a gun, but Sam has all the arm strength needed... have you seen otherwise? I still say that if we start a freshman (which we will one way or another) and that quarterback plays well, Landry Jones will decommit
He'll decommit because he wouldn't be more talented. PLEASE!!!! He'll wait then decommit after he's been here a year!!;)

LosAngelesSooner
8/20/2007, 04:58 AM

You're right...the players were deliberately dropping KN's passes while clinging to SB's passes in the rain. :rolleyes:

Dude, your statements run contrary to every single reliable scrimmage report I (and everyone else around here) has read regarding the last scrimmage.

Thus: I laugh.

LosAngelesSooner
8/20/2007, 05:03 AM
Also, just a little FYI...His name is:

Keith

N I C H O L

(notice I left the "s" off the end? That's because his name is NOT Nicols)

jk the sooner fan
8/20/2007, 06:50 AM
laugh all you want, they arent not entirely alone in their thoughts (http://newsok.com/article/3106777)

With his gleaming performance in Saturday's scrimmage, redshirt freshman Sam Bradford likely won Oklahoma's starting quarterback job. Bradford completed 12 of 17 passes for 130 yards and four touchdowns.

The trailing duo of freshman Keith Nichol and junior Joey Halzle combined to go 13 of 39 for 129 yards a touchdown and an interception.

But even though Bradford will be the starter Sept. 1 against North Texas, OU shouldn't redshirt Nichol, and let Halzle back up Bradford.

That move might eliminate Nichol from ever seriously contributing.

And that would be a mistake.

This preseason, Nichol has shown that he may be the most talented of the three quarterbacks. His quick release and scrambling ability are attributes the other two quarterbacks don't possess.

Nichol also appears the most prone for producing a big play, thanks to his arm strength and aptitude for throwing on the run.

If Bradford were anything but a freshman, then redshirting Nichol might make sense because Nichol would have a chance at multiple years as a starting quarterback.

But Bradford's only a freshman, with four more years of eligibility.

So redshirting Nichol this year effectively limits him with a chance to start in only one season, since next year Bradford would be unlikely to relinquish his starting role possessing a year of experience.

And with one of the nation's best prep quarterbacks in 6-foot-4, 225-pound Landry Jones attending OU next year, Nichol could be bypassed completely, since Jones would have the benefit of potentially starting two seasons against Nichol's one.

On top of all that, Nichol could help the Sooners this year.

While Bradford played well in Saturday's scrimmage, he hasn't proved anything in an actual game.

If Bradford struggles early in the season, the coaches might want to insert Nichol into a game for a spark.

But how can Nichol keep the same focus and sharpness in practice if he thinks he's never to play?

Redshirting him could disturb his psyche. The Sooners don't want to do that.

Because they may need Nichol's big-play capability.

colleyvillesooner
8/20/2007, 07:40 AM
You're right...the players were deliberately dropping KN's passes while clinging to SB's passes in the rain. :rolleyes:

Where did he say that?

Save the rolleyes for your talks with Tuba.

Arrowhead
8/20/2007, 07:43 AM

Keith

N I C O L

OK pot, Try NICHOL, then call the kettle black.

colleyvillesooner
8/20/2007, 07:45 AM
That's ****ing classic.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/calland/owned.gif

By a guy with 12 posts no less...

goss8572
8/20/2007, 10:15 AM
Carter Whitson and Quentin Chaney were dropping NICHOL's passes in the rain, and Malcolm Kelly and Adron Tennell were "clinging" to Bradford's. See the difference yet?

nolesooner1984
8/20/2007, 10:52 AM
Carter Whitson and Quentin Chaney were dropping NICHOL's passes in the rain, and Malcolm Kelly and Adron Tennell were "clinging" to Bradford's. See the difference yet?

That is the point. But don't try and tell some people that.

Some times stats do not tell the whole story and from what I have heard from different sources, SB did not completely own everyone. He had some good plays but remember the coaches don't judge from stats like the fans do. They are going to go back and look at film and say ok he may have gotten away with this in practice but it was a bad throw.

I still think the QB situation is wide open at this point.

mikeelikee
8/20/2007, 11:11 AM
I think there is still competition between Bradford and Nichol. Halzle is a clear #3 right now, based on what I witnessed at the scrimmage Saturday night. In addition to the one awful pass that Lewis Baker turned into a pick-six, Halzle could very well have had two more intercepted. He threw an absolute wounded duck early in the scrimmage, that Nic Harris and Marcus Walker battled each other to intercept. He had another one literally dropped down the West sideline later on.

I'd say Bradford is 1, Nichol is 1a, and Halzle has a slight lead on McEachern.

arcman46
8/20/2007, 11:14 AM

If Bradford starts, or even if Nichol starts, Jones will not decommit because this is the '07 season, Jones comes in '08, can redshirt that makes his elgibility start in '09. Bradford, or Nichol would then be Juniors. Jones would start Junior year at latest if he is all he is supposed to be. That is assuming that Bradford or Nichol doesn't bolt for the NFL early; (almost always a mistake for a QB) or Jones doesn't come in and beat these guys out early. :pop:

snp
8/20/2007, 11:15 AM

Kelly had 2 catches for 9 yards.

See the diference between playing against second string defense vs first string?

Widescreen
8/20/2007, 11:45 AM
Negspek from Scott. INCOMING!!!!! :P

goss8572
8/20/2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the stat. The point was that SB was throwing to better receivers, with Kelly as an example. Regardless of the defense that was in, KN threw 4 or 5 very nice balls that should have been caught, and would have been by the better guys. If SB had been throwing to the guys KN was throwing to, he would not have been 12/17, just like KN would not have been 5/16 had he been throwing to the first teamers.

RedstickSooner
8/20/2007, 12:58 PM
Y'know, just *once*, I'd like to have a guy at QB who is *so* good, nobody questions him starting, including his backups.

And I don't mean just having a returning QB, as that usually eliminates such questions. I'd just like a nice, head-and-shoulders-better sort of guy.

This 2 or 3 pretty good players crud is for the birds.

starclassic tama
8/20/2007, 01:02 PM
Y'know, just *once*, I'd like to have a guy at QB who is *so* good, nobody questions him starting, including his backups.

And I don't mean just having a returning QB, as that usually eliminates such questions. I'd just like a nice, head-and-shoulders-better sort of guy.

This 2 or 3 pretty good players crud is for the birds.

this is a pretty stupid post. would you rather have 2 or 3 quarterbacks that can't play at all? if it was that easy, every big time program around the country would have a heisman candidate QB every year.

SoonerBBall
8/20/2007, 01:05 PM
this is a pretty stupid post. would you rather have 2 or 3 quarterbacks that can't play at all? if it was that easy, every big time program around the country would have a heisman candidate QB every year.

Damn, these noobs are lighting you guys up.

Good post Star.

colleyvillesooner
8/20/2007, 01:07 PM
I think he was kidding...noob.

LosAngelesSooner
8/20/2007, 01:33 PM
That's ****ing classic.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/calland/owned.gif

By a guy with 12 posts no less...
Sweeeeeet!

(never post drunk)

I gots PWN3D!

LosAngelesSooner
8/20/2007, 01:37 PM
Where did he say that?

Save the rolleyes for your talks with Tuba.
I'll help you out with this one...

He says that all of Nichol's passes were dropped because of the rain, but that they hit the receivers in their bread baskets and were great throws...

This made me think, "Hmmm...why was the rain more slippery for KN's passes, but not SB's? The receivers must have been dropping them deliberately!!!!" (sarcasm intended)

And the rolleyes (which I'll use however I dang well want) were intended to show that I was joking/being sarcastic.

LosAngelesSooner
8/20/2007, 01:39 PM
That is the point. But don't try and tell some people that.

Some times stats do not tell the whole story and from what I have heard from different sources, SB did not completely own everyone. He had some good plays but remember the coaches don't judge from stats like the fans do. They are going to go back and look at film and say ok he may have gotten away with this in practice but it was a bad throw.

I still think the QB situation is wide open at this point.
Oh, Jesus...Keith Nichol's cousin found his way over here from OUInsider. :pop:

colleyvillesooner
8/20/2007, 01:57 PM

He says that all of Nichol's passes were dropped because of the rain, but that they hit the receivers in their bread baskets and were great throws...

This made me think, "Hmmm...why was the rain more slippery for KN's passes, but not SB's? The receivers must have been dropping them deliberately!!!!" (sarcasm intended)

And the rolleyes (which I'll use however I dang well want) were intended to show that I was joking/being sarcastic.

If you're joking, you might try this one: ;).

I know you were gone for awhile, but that's still the one we all use.

;)

See?

LosAngelesSooner
8/20/2007, 02:07 PM
If you're joking, you might try this one: ;).

I know you were gone for awhile, but that's still the one we all use.

;)

See?
Wait...I thought that was the emoticon for "teasing you!!!"

while :rolleyes: was the emoticon for "I'm totally being a smart *** right now" and, in the case of Tuba, it was for "uh, yeah...right...I'll have a whiff of the glue you're sniffing, too." ;)

Like that, right? :D

(sweet...an emoticon technique treadjacking)

soonerspudman
8/20/2007, 02:48 PM
If Bradford starts, or even if Nichol starts, Jones will not decommit because this is the '07 season, Jones comes in '08, can redshirt that makes his elgibility start in '09. Bradford, or Nichol would then be Juniors. Jones would start Junior year at latest if he is all he is supposed to be. That is assuming that Bradford or Nichol doesn't bolt for the NFL early; (almost always a mistake for a QB) or Jones doesn't come in and beat these guys out early. :pop:

Any player that either decommits or transfers becuase the competition looks too thick is not a guy you want on the team anyway, so if/when something like that happens it's an ultimate blessing in disguise.

SoonerBBall
8/20/2007, 03:01 PM
I think he was kidding...noob.

Redstick? Doesn't really look like it from here. Of course, my internet-web-sarcasm'o'meter might be off right now.

IronSooner
8/20/2007, 03:01 PM
I miss when this thread was informative and useful. ;)

(that is the correct usage, right?)

nolesooner1984
8/20/2007, 03:03 PM

Well if you think as you say you do, then maybe you would think that KN wasn't passing to the most talented of recievers and they probably dropped them on account of a few different things.

Other reports say the same thing that KN hit these guys right on the money but they missed the ball. I doubt seriously that MK or JI or MJ or AT would have dropped those balls.

Likewise I think the defense had a big case of the droppsies when it came to JH as well cause he could have had 3 picks from what was being reported.

nolesooner1984
8/20/2007, 03:04 PM
Oh, Jesus...Keith Nichol's cousin found his way over here from OUInsider. :pop:

Maybe you should try talking to Jesus, you may get enlightened. Oh wait, you are from LA, you already are. Get that sarcasm??

snp
8/20/2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the stat. The point was that SB was throwing to better receivers, with Kelly as an example. Regardless of the defense that was in, KN threw 4 or 5 very nice balls that should have been caught, and would have been by the better guys. If SB had been throwing to the guys KN was throwing to, he would not have been 12/17, just like KN would not have been 5/16 had he been throwing to the first teamers.

I love how you can be dismissive towards the facts when they don't bolster your arguement. Regardless of who dropped the ball, the fact remains is whoever was covering him wasn't as good as the first teamers. The DL wasn't getting as good of a push, etc etc.

It's a wash.

Any player that either decommits or transfers becuase the competition looks too thick is not a guy you want on the team anyway, so if/when something like that happens it's an ultimate blessing in disguise.

Right, the needs of an individual who has aspirations to actually play and make it to the next level should take a backseat because the program needs someone to hold for the extra points and FGs. Actually that's a bad example since Hays has that **** on lockdown and no one is taking that away.

How's that blessing in disguise looking for when Grady transferred? Tashard Choice, well screw him for transferring to be close to his sick mother.

colleyvillesooner
8/20/2007, 03:15 PM
Wait...I thought that was the emoticon for "teasing you!!!"

while :rolleyes: was the emoticon for "I'm totally being a smart *** right now" and, in the case of Tuba, it was for "uh, yeah...right...I'll have a whiff of the glue you're sniffing, too." ;)

Like that, right? :D

(sweet...an emoticon technique treadjacking)

:confused:

soonerspudman
8/20/2007, 03:21 PM
I love how you can be dismissive towards the facts when they don't bolster your arguement. Regardless of who dropped the ball, the fact remains is whoever was covering him wasn't as good as the first teamers. The DL wasn't getting as good of a push, etc etc.

It's a wash.

Right, the needs of an individual who has aspirations to actually play and make it to the next level should take a backseat because the program needs someone to hold for the extra points and FGs. Actually that's a bad example since Hays has that **** on lockdown and no one is taking that away.

How's that blessing in disguise looking for when Grady transferred? Tashard Choice, well screw him for transferring to be close to his sick mother.

Grady is currently number 2 QB on the awesome Utah Ute's depth chart. Time will tell, but I stick with my position that a guy who runs away from competition will never lead you to a championship.

snp
8/20/2007, 03:56 PM
Grady is currently number 2 QB on the awesome Utah Ute's depth chart. Time will tell, but I stick with my position that a guy who runs away from competition will never lead you to a championship.

It doesn't matter where he is on the Utah depth chart since Stoops felt he was good enough to QB here. He was a great talent.

goss8572
8/20/2007, 04:29 PM
Sorry but it is not a wash. Regardless of the push up front, the defensive backs, etc., etc., the only reason the receivers dropped perfect passes is that they are not as good. It is not like they were running wide open....they were very nice passes put in the right spot, but the guys missed the ball because they simply were not that good.

And by the way, never once did I mention the rain being a factor in anything.

jk the sooner fan
8/20/2007, 04:37 PM
even the good receivers drop passes now and then

i dont think you can suggest that you know why any one receiver dropped a pass......and i dont think its fair to attribute it directly to skill level......they're all at OU on scholarships, so they're all pretty damn good

soonerspudman
8/20/2007, 04:51 PM
It doesn't matter where he is on the Utah depth chart since Stoops felt he was good enough to QB here. He was a great talent.

Umm, Grady's never taken a college snap to my knowledge. I'd reserve "great talent" for players that have accomplished something...

Rhino
8/20/2007, 04:52 PM
Man, you guys are some nitpickin' freaks.

goss8572
8/20/2007, 05:03 PM
even the good receivers drop passes now and then

i dont think you can suggest that you know why any one receiver dropped a pass......and i dont think its fair to attribute it directly to skill level......they're all at OU on scholarships, so they're all pretty damn good

You're right, Chaney and Whitson would be starting at any program in the country.

Scott D
8/20/2007, 05:24 PM
I think there is still competition between Bradford and Nichol. Halzle is a clear #3 right now, based on what I witnessed at the scrimmage Saturday night. In addition to the one awful pass that Lewis Baker turned into a pick-six, Halzle could very well have had two more intercepted. He threw an absolute wounded duck early in the scrimmage, that Nic Harris and Marcus Walker battled each other to intercept. He had another one literally dropped down the West sideline later on.

clearly Robert Stoops has you fooled. Even Widescreen knows that it's McEachern 1, Bradford 1b, Nichol 1c, and Halzle 5.

Scott D
8/20/2007, 05:25 PM
Umm, Grady's never taken a college snap to my knowledge. I'd reserve "great talent" for players that have accomplished something...

pretty sure Grady took some snaps against Houston in Jason White's final senior season.

snp
8/20/2007, 05:36 PM

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word talent.

LosAngelesSooner
8/20/2007, 05:51 PM
Well if you think as you say you do, then maybe you would think that KN wasn't passing to the most talented of recievers and they probably dropped them on account of a few different things.

Other reports say the same thing that KN hit these guys right on the money but they missed the ball. I doubt seriously that MK or JI or MJ or AT would have dropped those balls.

Likewise I think the defense had a big case of the droppsies when it came to JH as well cause he could have had 3 picks from what was being reported. Yes...of course...everything happened that way. The "Magic Glue Glove Receivers" (starring Steve Largent, Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin IN THEIR PRIME!) caught all of SB's passes against the 3rd string defense from the Hissom School for the Blind's football team, while JH was LUCKY his massively telegraphed passes WEREN'T picked off by all of the drooling, retarded double amputees who were defending his passes.

Meanwhile KN played with epileptic 4th graders as receivers in the middle of a freak August ice storm against the 2003 Baltimore Raven's defense.

Yes, Nole...KN is the greatest player EV-ER.

Lemme know why he's not starting the first game of the year and also share exactly how you feel about that, please?

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;);) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleye s::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleye s:;);););););););););)
(enough of 'em?)

Maybe you should try talking to Jesus, you may get enlightened. Oh wait, you are from LA, you already are. Get that sarcasm?? Nole...your sycophantic whining may get you by over at OUInsider, but you try that weak smack around here, N00b, and you'll get roasted up and shoewhipped within a week.

LosAngelesSooner
8/20/2007, 05:58 PM
:confused:
DOH!!!!

(that's what that is, right? the official 'doh!' smilie?)

jk the sooner fan
8/20/2007, 05:58 PM

easy bud, lets save the word great for the guys that earn the starting job and do something with it

otherwise there's a long list of "great talent" that starts off with Rawls .......

snp
8/20/2007, 06:01 PM
Nole...your sycophantic whining may get you buy over at OUInsider, but you try that weak smack around here, N00b, and you'll get roasted up and shoewhipped within a week.

That's about what I was thinking. Keep that type of crap for those message boards where they have padded walls and drool catchers.

snp
8/20/2007, 06:03 PM
easy bud, lets save the word great for the guys that earn the starting job and do something with it

otherwise there's a long list of "great talent" that starts off with Rawls .......

I'm not saying he is great or not. Just that he was very highly touted, had all the right tools and was good enough for Stoops to offer. Qualifies as a great talent for me but I may be more liberal in appyling the term great than most.

illinisooner
8/20/2007, 06:05 PM
I watched the "highlights" on soonersports.com, and some of the ones that were shown were simple screen or swing passes that pretty much anyone can complete. Could this be part of the reason for SB's high completion %? I didn't really pay attention to who was under center though, so it might have been all three of the guys throwing those passes.

jk the sooner fan
8/20/2007, 06:08 PM
I'm not saying he is great or not. Just that he was very highly touted, had all the right tools and was good enough for Stoops to offer. Qualifies as a great talent for me but I may be more liberal in appyling the term great than most.

how bout we call it "great potential"

i dont think the Nichol fans are saying he's the be all end all, i think they're saying "dont give up on him yet"

if you're applying the same "great talent" logic you've applied elsewhere, then I think you'd have to rate him a "greater talent" than Bradford simply based on recruiting rankings, etc etc

Nichol has some upside, and he's not as far behind Bradford as some of you believe

jk the sooner fan
8/20/2007, 06:09 PM
I watched the "highlights" on soonersports.com, and some of the ones that were shown were simple screen or swing passes that pretty much anyone can complete. Could this be part of the reason for SB's high completion %? I didn't really pay attention to who was under center though, so it might have been all three of the guys throwing those passes.

about the only thing you can judge from those clips are crowd size and weather

LosAngelesSooner
8/20/2007, 06:16 PM
i dont think the Nichol fans are saying he's the be all end all, i think they're saying "dont give up on him yet"
Eh...go over to OUInsider and read SharkDiver's and NoleSooner's posts. (ignore OUOUOU's....he's just a flamebaiter)

They are retarded. And, fortunately for us and our sadistic enjoyment, 'Nole is trying to come over HERE to play....

heh heh heh

LosAngelesSooner
8/20/2007, 06:18 PM
about the only thing you can judge from those clips are crowd size and weather
Jesus...ain't that the truth. If I see one more "highlight reel" on that website that spends 50% of its time focusing on the FANS IN THE STANDS my head will essplode.

The Maestro
8/20/2007, 06:26 PM
Man, after reading this thread one thing is apparent to me...

We need some freaking football games to hurry up!!! :)

LosAngelesSooner
8/20/2007, 06:41 PM
Man, after reading this thread one thing is apparent to me...

We need some freaking football games to hurry up!!! :)
We have officially found something to agree on.;)

goingoneight
8/20/2007, 08:18 PM
Sorry but it is not a wash. Regardless of the push up front, the defensive backs, etc., etc., the only reason the receivers dropped perfect passes is that they are not as good. It is not like they were running wide open....they were very nice passes put in the right spot, but the guys missed the ball because they simply were not that good.

And by the way, never once did I mention the rain being a factor in anything.

So when Sam Bradford was playing with Quentin Chaney, Carter Whitson and Brody Eldridge... did he not show the other QBs up in the spring game, too? If the passes were right on the money... I have absolutely no reason to believe a D1 receiver would drop it because he's "not that good."
Sam may not look like a Heisman winnar, but he's been consistent and is a local guy who I feel everyone is negging just becuase they want to see the golden boy take the reigns early.
KN is a talented guy who needs to develop himself with the scout team, get bigger and stronger, and he needs to experience what Joey and Sam already have. Witness big game situations like last year's eek of a victory in College Station, and PT's miracle drive against Nebraska. You know why we came back and took the lead against Boise State before OT? Because the team rallied behing Paul Thompson. He paid his dues, and was calm and mature. You cannot expect a true freshmen to do that. A true freshmen barely knows the guys he's playing with. The vets are established now and are talented enough to lead the team in a great way.
This is not saying KN isn't talented, it's saying all the KN homers are avoiding some EXTREMELY important information regarding starting a true freshmen at the most important position on the field.

I think if Nichol plays at all, he'll be brought into blowouts like we did with PT. He'll likely come into a game like Utah State or something. From what we've seen of him so far, he's cool and is still feeling things out at the college level, and he's impressing people with how good he is immediately. Will Stoops sacrifice 4-5 wins with a true freshmen this season with his team loaded for "the future" or will he go with a guy who can manage it all? It's not too hard to see why people are thinking it's still SB and JH. What will people think of their golden boy if he puked down his leg in front of a screaming OU/Texas crowd? No matter what he did in high school, KN has never seen the situations he'll see this year. My humble opinion is it's best to bring a quarterback on slowly, and giving KN a year to slow things down against a good Sooner defense, and possibly working him into games where we've already rung the aggies' necks.

Look at Colt McCoy versus Jevan Snead last year. Another n00b to look at is Georgia's QB. The guy will soon be a household name, but he almost lost top an eventual 2-10 Colorado team last year and struggled for at least half the season. I don't see Stoops rolling the dice with his last dollar on Nichol. Instead, I think he walks... invests his chips in Nichol and brings the other two along for at least 2007. Joey could end up falling to place-holder status if Sam had a great year and KN came along good enough to start or share time in 2008 and beyond.

Arrowhead
8/20/2007, 08:50 PM
What will people think of their golden boy if he puked down his leg in front of a screaming OU/Texas crowd? No matter what he did in high school, KN has never seen the situations he'll see this year. My humble opinion is it's best to bring a quarterback on slowly, and giving KN a year to slow things down against a good Sooner defense, and possibly working him into games where we've already rung the aggies' necks.

Oh ye of little faith. I'm thinking more like...a big game is on the line with time running out and you need a playmaker. Nichol gets the call, pukes down his leg on the sideline, then comes in and throws a 60 yard bullet on the run to seal the deal. The crowd goes wild and Nichol humbly states that the team goal is to win the BCS title. :)

sooneron
8/20/2007, 08:53 PM
Here's an idea, why don't you guys just say "Yay, my guy!" ?

It would be more fruitful.

goss8572
8/20/2007, 09:12 PM
Just because Bradford attended last year's games does not make him an experienced QB. In reality, he has been on campus 6 months longer than Nichol. The two have exactly the same amount of college playing experience. I have nothing against Bradford, but he is a redshirt freshman and I guarantee that either guy will have their share of mistakes. To somehow liken this situation to Paul Thompson, who had been on campus for 4 years already at the beginning of last year and was one of the oldest, most respected guys on the team, is a bit much. I think Bradford has as much chance of "puking down his leg" as Nichol does...they are both very young kids at this point.

goingoneight
8/20/2007, 09:35 PM
I really don't care who it is, since he'll obviously have the same task of winning the BIG 12 and taking the team as far as they can go. I just know that only one true freshmen ever won an MNC, and he threw four passes in the game. We don't run the wishbone, OUr wide receiver talent is bold-faced proof of that. When the day comes that we have two talented fullbacks and a boatload of running backs and TEs, I might be inclined to pull for a guy who's going to eat the clock up and hand the ball off 12 times on a 12-play drive.
I know that asking even the most talented guy out there to run a passing-style of offense that KW runs is going to have to be talented, conditioned, AND mature. So it's kinda irritating to see all the fans throwing someone under the bus for their golden boy; especially when all of the QBs have been playing well according to the coaches. Stoops never shies away from telling the media hen a practice is bad or when something sucked. Him and Heup have had nothing but good things to say about the competition, and both are confident in the abilities of them all. I admit, it would be nice to see another Oklahoma kid tear it up out there, but if Joey Halzle, Keith Nichol or even Hays McLonghorn get the job done, so be it. You don't go on potential, you go with the guy who is going to win. This isn't like 2005 when Paul dropped out of the QB race because he was down on himself after TCU. None of these guys will switch to WR or corner or anything like that. I'm confident in starting guys who have earned their keep over starting a guy with "potential." I know for a fact that Stoops is as well. I know because he told me back at the OU Caravan. He said "you don't say 'hey, this guy's the future, let's sacrifice a couple of wins and get him ready.' You go with the best guy, who has earned his keep and can get the job done."

I honestly think Joey could start the season, Sam could take over, and Keith could play some, too and we'd still win 10-11 games because the surrounding talent is that good. This team is as dangerous if not more dangerous at the skill positions as the 2003 team was on offense. You don't have all-everything Clayton, but you do have Kelly and a better ground game. One would **** thyself if thee was on defense against this team quarterbacked by say, Josh Heupel. Not an all-everything talent, but a guy who limits mistakes and knows the system he's running.

So Joey is looking more and more like a backup guy. So Same is coming along steadily. So Keith looks like the high school prep superstar he is/was. OUr last three QBs were White, Bomar and Thompson. One took a Heisman home because he utilized the talent around him and had less than 20 yards rushing probably after two reconstructive knee surgeries. Bomar is your typical n00b with a lot of n00bs surrounding him, but managed 9 wins and a bowl MVP trophy (off-the-field issues ended his career at OU), and Thompson didn't set the world on fire, but you can't argue that he has more BIG 12 rings than Booby Reid, Zac Robinson, Seneca Wallace, Chris Simms and Major Applewhite, among others.

It makes too much sense to redshirt Nichol IMHO, but I'm not the OC, QBC or HC. You can't redshirt Sam anymore after last year, and I don't think JH can, either. Both guys are doing well according to all coaches reports and both guys were there to witness PT in the locker room last year motivating his guys, they witnessed a screaming OU/TX crowd, they witnessed a BIG 12 Championship run in the toughest of bad luck streaks probably ever... these things are important to consider when you're neck and neck with a guy who is fresh out of high school. Now if Keith went into practice Wednesday and never threw an incomplete pass and managed the game in a great way, instead of just looking 'good' or 'potent,' make a case for him still.

snp
8/20/2007, 11:04 PM
how bout we call it "great potential"

Talent = potential in my book. But we can go with that for simplicity, grady had great potential.

if you're applying the same "great talent" logic you've applied elsewhere, then I think you'd have to rate him a "greater talent" than Bradford simply based on recruiting rankings, etc etc

Nichol has some upside, and he's not as far behind Bradford as some of you believe

Wow, I didn't say any of this.

Yup. KN has way more upside but that's not what is needed in this year's offense. OU needs a QB that can manage the plays, not make them all himself.

This is what I said on page 1.

KN isn't ready and realistically, no true freshman QB should be. Just because a few like Chad Henne (sucked freshman year) and Reggie Ball (sucked his whole career) occasionally break the mold and start as true freshman, it's not the norm. I know we're going to be in this same discussion next year because of how talented Nichol is.

goss8572
8/20/2007, 11:47 PM
So how many RS freshmen QBs have led their teams to MNC's? I have not reseached this but I am going to guess not many (if any). I guess we are pretty much screwed this year either way. ;)

illinisooner
8/21/2007, 12:03 AM
Didn't Henne go to the Rose Bowl his freshman year? I would hardly say that he sucked... 25 TD's, 12 picks, 2700 yards, and a 60% completion rate. Speaking of Michigan QB's, Henne's predecessor, John Navarre, also started all four years IIRC. Ask some Michigan fans, and they'll tell you he sucked all four years. Henne is an interesting comparison, because he came in with a similar level of talent around him than OU has now. Of course he was also more talented than any of our guys just going by recruiting rankings. For another more recent comparison, look at Matthew Stafford at Georgia. Sure, the Dawgs were a good football team, but nothing like Henne had at UM or we have this year. He was a five star recruit and struggled for most of the year. If Nichol is named the starter, I'd lean towards a Henne season rather than a Stafford season.

Shneeg11
8/21/2007, 12:09 AM
Bradford was named the starter...

AzianSooner
8/21/2007, 12:11 AM
I agree with the OKlahoman's article stated that Sam and Keith should both start.

Shneeg11
8/21/2007, 12:12 AM
i suppoose you mean play, but i didnt catch the article

goingoneight
8/21/2007, 12:58 AM
I don't think it's impossible to play KN. Note: I said "play," not "start."

He could be good in a backup role like Florida used last year with Tebow. However, we all know Stoops and how often his backup quarterbacks see the field. We were up 59-0 before PT sat out a week before the biggest game of the season last year. We were also up 63-0 before PT played against aTm in the 77-0 aggy-raping.

IF Keith Nichol was to move up to #2 status, why would you burn such a fantastic talent's redshirt to let him throw two passes ala Halzle 2006? He could reserve eligibility, spend time with Schmitty and get bigger/stronger, spend time in the trenches with freaking Josh Heupel, play with the practice squad to stay sharp and one day be another Jason White-kinda quarterback.

I just hope we can finally get together a stable of QBs who will stick around for the longhaul. Teams like Texas Tech and Hawaii make me sick that they're able to throw for a gazillion yards every year when we have better talent and oh, yeah... defense, yet we sit on the edge of OUr seat because OUr only veteran just got sacked and it could mean OUr season if he doesn't get up. Hopefully OUr young guys will be taught the story of Paul Thompson, and won't be so quick to bail when they're told to sit out.

I guess it could be said that if OUr defense sucks early and OUr quarterback struggles ala 2005, we could be in for a rough season. I'm going with Kevin Wilson and Josh Heupel's commentary about needing all of them to show they can do the job. How great would it have been if we had a healthy guy behind Jason White in 2001? N8 turned out great... but he was never really healthy after K-State... the defense carried us as far as they could with an anemic offense.

Truth be told, whoever your golden boy is, he could end up sidelined if he took a hard enough hit or misstepped and got hurt. Think about it, we lost AD and AP to freaky injuries last season.

snp
8/21/2007, 01:31 AM
Didn't Henne go to the Rose Bowl his freshman year? I would hardly say that he sucked... 25 TD's, 12 picks, 2700 yards, and a 60% completion rate. Speaking of Michigan QB's, Henne's predecessor, John Navarre, also started all four years IIRC. Ask some Michigan fans, and they'll tell you he sucked all four years. Henne is an interesting comparison, because he came in with a similar level of talent around him than OU has now. Of course he was also more talented than any of our guys just going by recruiting rankings. For another more recent comparison, look at Matthew Stafford at Georgia. Sure, the Dawgs were a good football team, but nothing like Henne had at UM or we have this year. He was a five star recruit and struggled for most of the year. If Nichol is named the starter, I'd lean towards a Henne season rather than a Stafford season.

Doh. How about Juice Williams then?

SoonerKnight
8/21/2007, 01:32 AM

Keith

N I C H O L

How about Nichols? :confused: :eek: ;)

goingoneight
8/21/2007, 01:33 AM
Sam Bradley and Keith Nickelson are yer #1 and 2.

Scott D
8/21/2007, 05:28 AM

eh to be fair Navarre only started for 3 years (2001-2003) because Drew Henson bailed early to go be a minor league 3rd baseman. Henson stays, and Navarre doesn't become the starter until 2002 when he'd have been a junior. Jermaine Gonzales was suppossed to be the starter in 04 (Henne's freshman year) but was injured during fall practice so Carr was forced to play Henne.

nolesooner1984
8/21/2007, 07:54 AM
Yes...of course...everything happened that way. The "Magic Glue Glove Receivers" (starring Steve Largent, Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin IN THEIR PRIME!) caught all of SB's passes against the 3rd string defense from the Hissom School for the Blind's football team, while JH was LUCKY his massively telegraphed passes WEREN'T picked off by all of the drooling, retarded double amputees who were defending his passes.

Meanwhile KN played with epileptic 4th graders as receivers in the middle of a freak August ice storm against the 2003 Baltimore Raven's defense.

Yes, Nole...KN is the greatest player EV-ER.

Lemme know why he's not starting the first game of the year and also share exactly how you feel about that, please?

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;);) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleye s::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleye s:;);););););););););)
(enough of 'em?)

Nole...your sycophantic whining may get you by over at OUInsider, but you try that weak smack around here, N00b, and you'll get roasted up and shoewhipped within a week.

Ok smart guy, in your mind there is obviously no difference between 4th string and 1st string. You don't know much about football. And from what everyone said, JH should have had at least 3 int's but hey.....that shouldn't surprise anyone Int's have been his MO from JUCO ball. I'm sure he is a good guy though. See LosAngelesSooner--I can think someone is not a good football player and still think they are a good person.....See the difference. That's where I roll my eyes....

I never said KN is the greatest player ever but you nor anyone can deny the amount of progress he has made for being here such a short time. He obviously has some great skill and I think he is the best. Why must we rehash this? You just can't seem to get this through your head that I think "it is my opinion" that KN is the best QB.

You say my whining may get me by on OUInsider.....I don't whine dude. I try to have conversations and it is you that always seems to say something so negitive, usually towards me or sharks that gets things in an uproar over there.

And whatever roasted up and shoewhipped means, I don't think I'm that worried about it dude. I think you take these message boards way too seriously for your own good. Maybe you should try a little of that smoggy LA air......Or maybe you have had too much of it.

nolesooner1984
8/21/2007, 07:56 AM
Eh...go over to OUInsider and read SharkDiver's and NoleSooner's posts. (ignore OUOUOU's....he's just a flamebaiter)

They are retarded. And, fortunately for us and our sadistic enjoyment, 'Nole is trying to come over HERE to play....

heh heh heh

You see what I mean here......Holy Crap dude, get a life. We are so retarded yet you see fit to name a poster that nobody over here knows. I find that hilarious. LMFAO that you can't let it go LA.:pop:

Jewstin
8/21/2007, 10:02 AM
Yay, my guy!

Word on the grapevine is Bob Stoops said, "Sam Bradford is the man purple monkey dishwasher."

SoonerRecon
8/21/2007, 10:40 AM
Mr. Bradford, is that you?

illinisooner
8/21/2007, 11:58 AM
Doh. How about Juice Williams then?

Haha. Juice didn't step into a great situation either. It will be interesting to see how he does this year.

illinisooner
8/21/2007, 12:01 PM
eh to be fair Navarre only started for 3 years (2001-2003) because Drew Henson bailed early to go be a minor league 3rd baseman. Henson stays, and Navarre doesn't become the starter until 2002 when he'd have been a junior. Jermaine Gonzales was suppossed to be the starter in 04 (Henne's freshman year) but was injured during fall practice so Carr was forced to play Henne.

I couldn't remember when Henson left, but I thought Navarre started 4 years. Henson was also the all time high school home runs leader or something like that, it's too bad he never panned out in either sport. I think Matt Gutierrez, the 5 star QB from De La Salle was supposed to start that year, as he had been a backup for the past few years. It was him that was injured during fall practice. Gonzales moved to WR at some point.

LosAngelesSooner
8/21/2007, 12:48 PM
Ok smart guy, in your mind there is obviously no difference between 4th string and 1st string. You don't know much about football. And from what everyone said, JH should have had at least 3 int's but hey.....that shouldn't surprise anyone Int's have been his MO from JUCO ball. I'm sure he is a good guy though. See LosAngelesSooner--I can think someone is not a good football player and still think they are a good person.....See the difference. That's where I roll my eyes....

I never said KN is the greatest player ever but you nor anyone can deny the amount of progress he has made for being here such a short time. He obviously has some great skill and I think he is the best. Why must we rehash this? You just can't seem to get this through your head that I think "it is my opinion" that KN is the best QB.

You say my whining may get me by on OUInsider.....I don't whine dude. I try to have conversations and it is you that always seems to say something so negitive, usually towards me or sharks that gets things in an uproar over there.

And whatever roasted up and shoewhipped means, I don't think I'm that worried about it dude. I think you take these message boards way too seriously for your own good. Maybe you should try a little of that smoggy LA air......Or maybe you have had too much of it. 4th String....4th STRING, no less?!?! Freakin' AWESOME!!! Man, I love love love how football ignorant you are! Bandwagon N00bs are the easiest... heh

And before you start denying your NOTORIOUS whining over at OUInsider...should I post the little love letter you sent me over there, Precious? :P It was sooooooo cute!

(by the way...LA smack? If this is your A-Game....you're in for a rough time)

P.S. - How does that starting QB announcement feel?

*tee hee*

Scott D
8/21/2007, 01:20 PM
I couldn't remember when Henson left, but I thought Navarre started 4 years. Henson was also the all time high school home runs leader or something like that, it's too bad he never panned out in either sport. I think Matt Gutierrez, the 5 star QB from De La Salle was supposed to start that year, as he had been a backup for the past few years. It was him that was injured during fall practice. Gonzales moved to WR at some point.

yeah it was Gutierrez that got injured leading to Henne playing as a freshman, he doesn't get injured then last year likely would have been Henne's first season as the starter. Gonzales moved to WR his junior year when it was obvious that Navarre had the job (despite what a lot of fans wanted...gee sound familiar?)

nolesooner1984
8/21/2007, 03:21 PM
4th String....4th STRING, no less?!?! Freakin' AWESOME!!! Man, I love love love how football ignorant you are! Bandwagon N00bs are the easiest... heh

And before you start denying your NOTORIOUS whining over at OUInsider...should I post the little love letter you sent me over there, Precious? :P It was sooooooo cute!

(by the way...LA smack? If this is your A-Game....you're in for a rough time)

P.S. - How does that starting QB announcement feel?

*tee hee*

yea 4th string like the walk-ons.....

Oh and about the whining....go ahead and post the PM I sent you. It will show everyone else what I found out, that you are a completely classless person with no manners whatsoever. Since you didn't even read the PM as you wrote to me, how would you know if it was a love letter or not?

And about the starting QB situation....I am 1000% excited to get this show on the road. I said may the best man win, and I still feel that way. You are so thick headed.....If SB continues to play great and keep his job then we are in for a great year. Likewise, If they play KN we will be in for a good year as well. What is so hard for you to understand about my postion on this.

Actually, I think I will go ahead and post your PM. I'll save you the trouble.

nolesooner1984
8/21/2007, 03:23 PM
My message to LosAngelesSooner after we had words and I was trying to find out why he got so angry about the whole QB situation with Joey Halzle. Notice the response I get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolesooner
Where did I ever spew profanity against you. I just said you had issues, which I still think.

I don't get why you come down so hard on me for having an opinion. You are the one calling me a liar man. What gives here. All this was meant to be just friendly disscusions about which QB is going to get the start. I realize we have had numerous disagreements but I have always felt like you were trying to attack me on a more personal basis. Maybe I completely misuderstood you from the very beginning. If that is true, I humbly as for your forgiveness. I am not a person that enjoys strife or arguing. You just seem to be so put out with me and it really makes me upset. So, whatever I did, I will ask for your forgiveness. If I wronged you, I will ask for your forgiveness. I realize that we may not agree, but we can be men about this. I don't care if we are on a message board, people can still take things way too personally and I would hate to know that when I die and have to answer to the Lord one day that I really said something that made you truly upset. This is all I can do. I have tried to reason with you, although I understand and you should to that it is hard to reason on a message board because you truly can't hear the other person's tone in what they are saying. Maybe that is what I did with you and maybe you did it with me too. I hope that there is a big misunderstanding in here somewhere.

Please write back and know that I am truly coming to you with utter humility because I think that is the right thing to do here. We are both men and we are both certainly Sooner fans. Let me know what you think.

By the way, just so you know me and know my heart. I have never lied about anything that I have posted. I'm sure I have made some errors on things ( not intentionally) but I'm sure I have. I have never wanted anything ill will for Joey or Sam. I love both those guys as Sooners. My whole thing hasn't been about who they are as people, because I'm sure they are the best of people. The whole thing has been about nothing more than the position of QB. You need to understand that about me because the issue of lying and other things like that really bother me.

Stuart

LosAngelesSooner's response
You're a *********.

P.S. - I didn't even waste my time reading this PM.

Ardmore_Sooner
8/21/2007, 03:25 PM
So why isn't McEachern starting? ;)

birddog
8/21/2007, 03:28 PM
My message to LosAngelesSooner after we had words and I was trying to find out why he got so angry about the whole QB situation with Joey Halzle. Notice the response I get.

Quote:
Where did I ever spew profanity against you. I just said you had issues, which I still think.

I don't get why you come down so hard on me for having an opinion. You are the one calling me a liar man. What gives here. All this was meant to be just friendly disscusions about which QB is going to get the start. I realize we have had numerous disagreements but I have always felt like you were trying to attack me on a more personal basis. Maybe I completely misuderstood you from the very beginning. If that is true, I humbly as for your forgiveness. I am not a person that enjoys strife or arguing. You just seem to be so put out with me and it really makes me upset. So, whatever I did, I will ask for your forgiveness. If I wronged you, I will ask for your forgiveness. I realize that we may not agree, but we can be men about this. I don't care if we are on a message board, people can still take things way too personally and I would hate to know that when I die and have to answer to the Lord one day that I really said something that made you truly upset. This is all I can do. I have tried to reason with you, although I understand and you should to that it is hard to reason on a message board because you truly can't hear the other person's tone in what they are saying. Maybe that is what I did with you and maybe you did it with me too. I hope that there is a big misunderstanding in here somewhere.

Please write back and know that I am truly coming to you with utter humility because I think that is the right thing to do here. We are both men and we are both certainly Sooner fans. Let me know what you think.

By the way, just so you know me and know my heart. I have never lied about anything that I have posted. I'm sure I have made some errors on things ( not intentionally) but I'm sure I have. I have never wanted anything ill will for Joey or Sam. I love both those guys as Sooners. My whole thing hasn't been about who they are as people, because I'm sure they are the best of people. The whole thing has been about nothing more than the position of QB. You need to understand that about me because the issue of lying and other things like that really bother me.

Stuart

You're a *********.

dude, i don't think anyone is that worried about it.

colleyvillesooner
8/21/2007, 03:38 PM
Isn't name calling, even in PEEM's, bane worthy?

Especially someone on their 4 millionth chance. :D

Scott D
8/21/2007, 03:51 PM
So why isn't McEachern starting? ;)

he is dude, this is just a smokescreen to throw off the world's most awesome high school offense in the Mean Green.

Rhino
8/21/2007, 04:31 PM

Especially someone on their 4 millionth chance. :D Actually, if I'm reading right, it was a PM between the two on OUInsider.

Either way, it's boring and we don't care.

colleyvillesooner
8/21/2007, 04:52 PM
:mad:

;)

Widescreen
8/21/2007, 04:57 PM
I care. Because I'm a caring carer.

LosAngelesSooner
8/22/2007, 03:14 PM

Especially someone on their 4 millionth chance. :D That was a peem on OUInsider, not here.

Actually, if I'm reading right, it was a PM between the two on OUInsider.

Either way, it's boring and we don't care. Amen.

LosAngelesSooner
8/22/2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:

Stuart

You're a *********.

Once again, this doesn't help your case, ma'am.

Oh...and by the way...start bashing and personal attacks on the current starting QB for OU or on JH or on ANY other player (as you have done multiple times over on OUInsider in a vain attempt to advance the cause for your own "personally chosen savior to OU football") on THIS board and see how long you last, N00b.

swardboy
8/22/2007, 03:20 PM
<rodney king>Can't we all just get along?<rodney king>

:pop:

colleyvillesooner
8/22/2007, 03:30 PM
what fun would that be?

usmc-sooner
8/22/2007, 03:31 PM

Oh...and by the way...start bashing and personal attacks on the current starting QB for OU or on JH or on ANY other player (as you have done multiple times over on OUInsider in a vain attempt to advance the cause for your own "personally chosen savior to OU football") on THIS board and see how long you last, N00b.

can both of yall just give it a rest.

nolesooner1984
8/22/2007, 03:50 PM

I don't have a case or a cause Grandma.

I love how you keep saying that I bash players.....I don't. Stop pulling crap out out of thin air.

I never bashed Halzle....I just said he had a horrible TD to INT ratio in college and he hadn't done much better since he got to OU. I guess the coaches agreed with me in that sense because he isn't going to play. Not bashing, I'm sure he is a nice guy.

It sounds like you have more of a love interest in JH than I will ever have on KN or SB. I don't get fixated on players like you do apparently.

And I don't think I'm going anywhere from this board, because I won't break the rules like you do.

colleyvillesooner
8/22/2007, 03:52 PM
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/2352/merrygoroundrv2.jpg

Jewstin
8/22/2007, 03:56 PM
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round ... like a record baby, right round, round round.

It's funny to see LAS pwn noles in both emoticon and PM format.

nolesooner1984
8/22/2007, 03:59 PM
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round ... like a record baby, right round, round round.

It's funny to see LAS pwn noles in both emoticon and PM format.

It's halarious that I get attacked and called a liar by someone who has never met me before.....Yup, I agree with you. It's quite entertaining to see craziness at its finest.

Scott D
8/22/2007, 04:11 PM
this thread has surpassed the usual offseason suckitude.....thanks colley.

colleyvillesooner
8/22/2007, 04:13 PM
You better not be blaming me :mad:

Scott D
8/22/2007, 04:20 PM
don't gotta blame you, your finger print smudges are all over the suck that is this thread.

colleyvillesooner
8/22/2007, 04:27 PM
Fingerprint this:

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/479/evilnv5.gif

Widescreen
8/22/2007, 04:38 PM
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/479/evilnv5.gif
At least he's smiling at the end. So I guess he's a happy bird-flipper.

Rhino
8/22/2007, 05:05 PM
Stop. Or die.

Your choice.