PDA

View Full Version : sanantoniosooner ?

OUHOMER
8/18/2007, 09:43 PM
I saw where you posted about having your gall bladder removed. I have a friend who just had hers removed and had complications. we just got back from trying to have dinner with them. She took one bite of creamy potato soup instantly became ill.

Have you had any problems with creamy foods or dairy products. She thinking about going to the emergency room.

just wondering what you stay away from besides cheese burgers?

sanantoniosooner
8/18/2007, 09:49 PM
Fatty foods are killer.

Makes me squirt 10W40 out my anus.

VeeJay
8/18/2007, 09:59 PM
Makes me squirt 10W40 out my anus.

So the gall bladder absorbs all the crappy stuff I'm eatin?

OUHOMER
8/18/2007, 10:02 PM
well, I have never seen anybody get sick that fast. one bite and swallow and she was sick..

OUHOMER
8/18/2007, 10:03 PM
Maybe the potato soup was loaded with fatty stuff, it was very creamy and was very good:D

sanantoniosooner
8/18/2007, 10:07 PM
So the gall bladder absorbs all the crappy stuff I'm eatin?
The gall bladder regulates the amount of bile your system needs to break down fatty foods.

Without it, the liver dumps the stuff straight into your system with slightly less regulation.

Thats my understanding anyway.

Turd_Ferguson
8/18/2007, 10:07 PM
SAS, how long ago did you have this done?

OKC-SLC
8/18/2007, 10:08 PM
if it was diarrhea she had, this will improve over time so that she can tolerate more fatty foods.

if it was vomiting and/or significant pain in the area, keep an eye on it. There is an outside chance that a stone could have been retained in the bile duct. This assumes that hers was removed for stones.

If she ever develops fever, significant pain, and especially if she gets yellow--she needs to go to an ER right away. This could indicate a stone in the bile duct which is clogging the joint up.

sanantoniosooner
8/18/2007, 10:09 PM
My wife says it was around April 20th.

I trust her.............about this........

OKC-SLC
8/18/2007, 10:10 PM
The gall bladder regulates the amount of bile your system needs to break down fatty foods.

Without it, the liver dumps the stuff straight into your system with slightly less regulation.

Thats my understanding anyway.
This is basically correct. The GB usually stores the bile so enough can be released right away if fat is ingested. The liver does not have the means to secrete quite so much at one time (that's the GB's job). Therefore, fatty foods --> diarrhea because the fat passes thru the GI tract unabsorbed.

VeeJay
8/18/2007, 10:10 PM
I think we need OUDoc to render an opinion here.

Otherwise, some buddy needs to post Ryan's Steakhouse.

OUHOMER
8/18/2007, 10:12 PM
Heres the deal she had it removed 2 weeks ago, but never got better. Come to find out the stitch or what ever did not take. So she was leaking bile into her gut. She went in last thursday and had a stint put in. it also took longer tha they expected to get this done. She said she felt better at least until tonight

OUHOMER
8/18/2007, 10:13 PM
oh, and yes she was trying to vomit tonight

OKC-SLC
8/18/2007, 10:14 PM
I think we need OUDoc to render an opinion here.

Otherwise, some buddy needs to post Ryan's Steakhouse.
I am a gastroenterologist. OUDoc would just refer to me anyway. (I keed).

OKC-SLC
8/18/2007, 10:15 PM
Heres the deal she had it removed 2 weeks ago, but never got better. Come to find out the stitch or what ever did not take. So she was leaking bile into her gut. She went in last thursday and had a stint put in. it also took longer tha they expected to get this done. She said she felt better at least until tonight
So it sounds like she had a bile leak into, I assume, her abdomen.

The procedure they did to stent across the leak was probably an ERCP. Was this two days ago Thursday or 9 days ago?

StoopTroup
8/18/2007, 10:16 PM
I had mine out last November.

I had two Brownies double cheesburgers and a large fry today...

If they had Potato Soup on the menu...I could have chugged a cup down just to top it off.

Don't believe what you here and you'll be less like to react like your freind did.

I'm sure some folks who may have had stones and been really sick before the operation probably ought to take it easy at first...but I've had little trouble after the first few months.

Turd_Ferguson
8/18/2007, 10:16 PM
My wife says it was around April 20th.

I trust her.............about this........

SLC already said it. It should get better with time. I had mine taken out 6 years ago. At first, I couldn't eat a cracker without running code brown to the nearest toilet. ****ed up some nice golf shorts in the beginning...but it's all good now.

OUHOMER
8/18/2007, 10:17 PM
Last thursday, 2 days ago

Turd_Ferguson
8/18/2007, 10:18 PM
I am a gastroenterologist. OUDoc would just refer to me anyway. (I keed).
Your not Dr. Rife are ya?

OKC-SLC
8/18/2007, 10:24 PM
Your not Dr. Rife are ya?
I don't know Dr. Rife.

The gig on OUDoc is a primary care provider joke. He'll get it. I hope. I don't actually work within 300 miles of OUDoc, so he has never referred a patient to me.

------

OUHomer--if she indeed had an ERCP two days ago, it is possible that she could have a bit of pancreatitis causing this, especially if she had significant pain after eating tonight. She should keep a close eye on this and get seen if not much better and/or if eating continues to be something she can't tolerate thru the weekend.

OUHOMER
8/18/2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks, I know she said if the pain persist she going back to the hospital tonight and she is going back to the doc monday no matter what

OKC-SLC
8/18/2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks, I know she said if the pain persist she going back to the hospital tonight and she is going back to the doc monday no matter what
If the procedure was an ERCP Thursday, and as you said it took a while to complete, there is a good chance she is having post-ERCP pancreatitis which happens 3-5% of cases but more commonly with complicated/protracted cases.

If she gets fever, don't let her wait until Monday.