PDA

View Full Version : Go Mighty Cougars!

Frozen Sooner
8/18/2007, 05:23 PM
Woot!

Service blows away West

ALL-AROUND PRODUCTION: Cougars special teams and defense get in on the scoring.

By KEVIN KLOTT
[email protected]

Published: August 18, 2007
Last Modified: August 18, 2007 at 08:16 AM

On an evening meant for keeping the ball in the hands of running backs, Service's Cameron Allen took to the air -- and his defense took it to the opposing quarterback.

Story tools

E-mail a friend

Print

Digg this

Seed Newsvine

Send link via AIM

Font size : A | A | A

Despite the rainy, slippery conditions on the artificial turf at Anchorage Football Stadium, Allen completed 11 of 23 passes for 138 yards to push the second-ranked Cougars over West 31-0 on Friday.

"He carries us through no matter what the conditions are," Service receiver Cameron Drones said. "He's got a good arm."

The third-year starter displayed that right-handed rocket in the second quarter when he connected with Drones on a 43-yard pass play.

Drones' reception set up Amanda Dotten's first field goal attempt of the season -- a 23-yard kick that sailed between the uprights and put Service ahead 18-0.

Earlier, in the first quarter, Allen connected with Jack Vogel for a 19-yard touchdown pass.

"Rain or shine, that's the nature of our offense," Service coach Jason Caldarera said.

The Cougars scored five different ways: pass, rush, safety, fumble recovery and field goal.

"That's a tribute to the way we structure our practices," Caldarera said. "We practice our special teams every day.

"And defensively, we have a scheme that hopefully people take a look at and respect."

The Cougars' defense gave West's first-year quarterback Silas Drayden trouble all evening. Service racked up 10 sacks, intercepted him twice and left him with minus 99 yards rushing and only 23 yards passing.

"It was all defense today," Allen said. "We did OK on offense, but our defense stepped it up."

Allen, who threw three interceptions in Week 1, threw only one Friday -- J.D. Richardson caught Allen's pass on West's 1-yard line.

But the Cougars made the Eagles pay. On second-and-8, a gang of linemen sacked Drayden in the end zone. The safety put Service ahead 15-0 with 1:12 left in the first quarter.

On West's opening drive of the second half, Chris Culbertson sacked Drayden at the 13. The ball popped loose and Deontae Daniels recovered it in the end zone, giving Service a 24-0 lead.

Caldarera was excited that both the defense and offense contributed.

"They're really buying into what's going on here," he said.

After beating East in double overtime in Week 1, the Cougars improved to 2-0 overall and in conference play. Service hadn't beat West (1-1 overall, 0-1 CIC) since 2002 -- the last season it finished with a winning record.

Service hadn't shut out West since 1987, when it did so twice. West shut out Service 69-0 in 2004 and 73-0 in 2005.

Allen, who was part of a 15-game losing streak that ended last season, said it feels great to start 2-0.

"I've never won two consecutive games," Allen said. "This is a big deal."

Winning had been habitual for Drones, a senior transfer from East. The T-birds haven't finished with a losing record in eight seasons.

"I've been on winning programs and this team acts like winners," Drones said. "I can't tell that they're not used to this."

SoonerStormchaser
8/18/2007, 06:22 PM
My wife is their biggest fan! Oh wait, you meant those cougars.

Frozen Sooner
8/18/2007, 06:23 PM
I guess I should have known you'd be up in this thread. :)

That's my alma mater, by the way. I usually throw some blurbs up about how their season is going in the SO every year. Service has been a bit of a doormat since the two straight state titles in the late 90s.