PDA

View Full Version : Another Longhorn WR (Pittman) injured

colleyvillesooner
8/18/2007, 02:04 PM
Man, they're having a rough time in camp this year. Never like to see kids get hurt before a meaningful snap is taken.

Longhorns' Pittman out indefinitely with shoulder injury

AUSTIN -- That deep and talented Texas receiving corps is taking a beating.

On Saturday, No. 4 Texas announced that senior Billy Pittman is out indefinitely with a left shoulder injury, news that comes just a few days after senior Limas Sweed suffered a sprained left wrist, leaving his status in question for the Sept. 1 season opener against Arkansas State.

Pittman hurt the shoulder in practice Friday and was in a sling Saturday, according to Texas officials, who did not disclose how he was hurt. Trainer Kenny Boyd said the injury was still being evaluated but that Pittman would be out indefinitely.

Pittman has 69 catches for 1,206 yards and nine touchdowns over the last two seasons.

"I felt like I was having a really good camp and in the best shape of my career so I'm pretty disappointed about getting hurt," Pittman said. "I have faith in our doctors, trainers and strength staff that they will get me back as soon as possible, hopefully for the first game."

Sweed injured his left wrist when he fell after a catch in a scrimmage Wednesday. He told reporters on Friday he has good range of motion in the wrist and that a protective sleeve he's wearing makes it look worse than it feels.

"There's nothing really wrong," Sweed said. "It looks like I broke it in 30 different places."

Sweed tied a school record with 12 TD catches last season and was one of the top deep threat receivers in the country with 46 catches for 801 yards.

Texas' passing attack, which saw quarterback Colt McCoy tie and NCAA freshman record with 29 touchdown passes last season, is a big reason why the Longhorns are ranked in the top five in the preseason rankings for the third straight year.

47straight
8/18/2007, 02:24 PM
I sure hope Mack was able to call his momma before the media found out.

Flagstaffsooner
8/18/2007, 02:25 PM
:confused:
"There's nothing really wrong," Sweed said. "It looks like I broke it in 30 different places."

47straight
8/18/2007, 02:40 PM

He's got a big giant cast which makes it look like he broke it in 30 places, but really it's not that bad. I had to read it twice.

SoonerAtKU
8/18/2007, 02:50 PM
That's bad news for Texas. Pittman is a real talent. Here's hoping he recovers well.

SelmaBamaFan
8/18/2007, 03:33 PM
Always hate to hear about players getting hurt not matter what team they play for. Here's to a speedy recovery.

utex74
8/18/2007, 04:25 PM
Man, they're having a rough time in camp this year. Never like to see kids get hurt before a meaningful snap is taken.

Fortunately they have almost a month for sprains to heal before TCU (never thought I'd say that) and WR is our deepest position with a slew of young guys who need time before Sweed, Pitman and Shipley leave next year. Quan Cosby and Nate Jones will see a lot of time along with the freshmen.

goingoneight
8/18/2007, 06:59 PM
Prayers for a speedy recovery. :)
Pittman is a really talented guy and is lauded as a good character guy as well, which is something they're in need of right now.
Is he the one who won the lottery? ;)

olevetonahill
8/18/2007, 07:51 PM
Prayin fer a Fast recovery also
I want em all healthy when we stomp Datass ;)

Jacie
8/19/2007, 12:09 PM
The WR position is the one spot where saxet can afford to suffer a couple of minor injuries in the preseason. The minor means the players will return to action soon and the preseason means they won't miss a game against a team that can actually beat them. Now if Coltish were to land on his wrist wrong or dislocate his shoulder, the wailing sound coming out of Austin would be audible in Norman.

Widescreen
8/19/2007, 01:40 PM
Someone's been to the Bob Stoops School of Medical Evaluation.

Ash
8/19/2007, 02:04 PM
Prayin fer a Fast recovery also
I want em all healthy when we stomp Datass ;)

ditto Hook 'em

Scott D
8/19/2007, 02:33 PM
I heard this one guy who knows this guy who was at 31 flavors the other night with Quan Cosby said that it's no coincidence that Sweed and Pittman are injured...the injuries didn't happen at practice but in their special game of naked twister. ;)