PDA

View Full Version : Why do worker dudes get paid weekly and ..

Jerk
8/18/2007, 08:08 AM
manager dudes get paid 2wice month?

(not that I'm complaining)

I bet the big wigs think, "our little workers are so damned stupid, that if we don't pay them every friday, they will starve"

Which is fine.

Becayse I love getting paid every Friday.

But the managers at my work are getting switched from weekly to bi-monthly and they're not happy.

OUinFLA
8/18/2007, 08:23 AM
Ive had "worker dudes" as employees for 30 years.

What I found:
every other week pay periods....50% of them needed to borrow money by Monday prior to payday Friday.

vs - every week pay periods....50% of them needed to borrow money by Monday prior to payday Friday.

Im about to change back to everyother week pay periods in 2008, just for my benefit. Also I'm implimenting a "no loan" policy. Just DON'T ASK, the answer will be NO!

soonerboomer93
8/18/2007, 08:53 AM
bi-weekly (or bi-monthly) pay helps decrease overhead costs

i only get paid once a month...

Jerk
8/18/2007, 09:02 AM
bi-weekly (or bi-monthly) pay helps decrease overhead costs

i only get paid once a month...

That way you have 1 girl in an office somewhere doing it all rather than 2 or 3, right?

royalfan5
8/18/2007, 09:08 AM
Every job I have ever had except my first was paid on a monthly basis. I like it because if forces you to be more disciplined.

sanantoniosooner
8/18/2007, 09:09 AM
Every job I have ever had except my first was paid on a monthly basis. I like it because if forces you to be more disciplined.
Wait until you get to be disciplined with a wife and a few kids.

royalfan5
8/18/2007, 09:11 AM
Wait until you get to be disciplined with a wife and a few kids.
That's likely going to be awhile. I'm a firm believer in my families late marrying philosophy. So I'm not going to worry about that for awhile.

sanantoniosooner
8/18/2007, 09:12 AM
That's likely going to be awhile. I'm a firm believer in my families late marrying philosophy. So I'm not going to worry about that for awhile.
The point is that you made a bold statement as a single person. It gets more difficult to live that way when you have a group depending on the income instead of just one.

royalfan5
8/18/2007, 09:19 AM
The point is that you made a bold statement as a single person. It gets more difficult to live that way when you have a group depending on the income instead of just one.
But I was also making a personal statement about that being paid once a month works for me and is my preference. Other folks may prefer other methods.

Cam
8/18/2007, 09:35 AM
I've been paid weekly, twice a month, and monthly. Didn't really care for monthly, but at the time I was very undisciplined with my money. Now, it wouldn't be that big of a deal for me.

Jerk
8/18/2007, 09:57 AM
Instead of "manager dude" and "worker dude" I should have used "white collar dude" and "blue collar dude."

I worked as a teller for BOK in my early 20's and got paid bi-monthly.

I also worked for Stewart Abstract in an office full of women and got paid bi-monthly.

I hated it.

I didn't start getting paid every Friday until I began driving semis.

I love it.

My dad puts together drilling rigs for a company out of Houston and he has a large crew. These guys work 60-80 hours a week and get some massive paychecks every friday. Problem is, it is not uncommon for these guys to blow all of their money that Friday night at the tittay bars. Come monday morning their families have no money for food, bills, etc. It got so bad with some of them that the company would only give the check to the wife.

OUHOMER
8/18/2007, 10:45 AM
I get paid once a month, took me while to get use to it. the wife gets paid twice a month, it works for us now. My drivers get paid every friday...
The company makes big time interest on holding our money for a month.

yermom
8/18/2007, 10:46 AM
i've been getting paid monthly for like 6 years now, bi-weekly before that

i didn't mind so much since the checks basically halved in frequency but quadrupled in size

if the amount of money is the same why does it matter if you have kids, etc...?

Jerk
8/18/2007, 11:05 AM
I get paid once a month, took me while to get use to it. the wife gets paid twice a month, it works for us now. My drivers get paid every friday...
The company makes big time interest on holding our money for a month.

Do you have any local jobs? Man, I just can't do OTR.

I got 4.5 years tractor-trailer experience with a clean MVR.

The only thing I don't have is my HAZMAT. I let that thing expire.

OUHOMER
8/18/2007, 11:09 AM
Do you have any local jobs? Man, I just can't do OTR.

I got 4.5 years tractor-trailer experience with a clean MVR.

The only thing I don't have is my HAZMAT. I let that thing expire.

Right now we are so slow, i am lucky to keep the ones i got. Dont blame you for the OTR stuff.

Miko
8/18/2007, 11:12 AM
I'm at work now. You mean we get PAID for this?!?!

WOOHOO! I'm liking this more and more!

Jerk
8/18/2007, 11:12 AM
Right now we are so slow, i am lucky to keep the ones i got. Dont blame you for the OTR stuff.

Ok. The new people haven't fugged with me, yet. Everything has stayed the same. When they cut my pay and put me in a single-stack Mack then I will be looking for other alternatives...

Widescreen
8/18/2007, 11:26 AM
For 8 years I got paid monthly. That is really the best IMO. You can immediately pay your bills for the month and then know how much you have left to last the rest of the month. Very easy.

Weekly and bi-weekly (which is what I've had for the last 6 years) are the 2 worst methods because payday varies from month-to-month although many of your bills are due the same day every month. I've had to put electric bill payments on a credit card for a couple of days until I got paid and then turn around and pay the credit card. Plus you accrue sick/vaction leave at odd rates. I currently get 6.15 (rounded) hours of vacation time per pay period. Stupid.

sanantoniosooner
8/18/2007, 01:37 PM
if the amount of money is the same why does it matter if you have kids, etc...?
When you have 4 people in a household, as opposed to one, the number of times that "emergencies" crop up goes up dramatically. The likelihood of living paycheck to paycheck increases. And other people spend money for you.

I could probably mention other ways it's different, if you need some more examples.

yermom
8/18/2007, 01:43 PM
i'm basically on the Widescreen theory. i pay all my bills at the beginning of the month. if something comes up i already have all the money i was going to have for the month

i guess if someone else has access to the money, it may be spent faster than expected