PDA

View Full Version : ASK CFN:The Most Loved and Hated Teams

SoonerBOI
8/17/2007, 10:18 PM
Came across this article and wanted to share to everybody on a boring friday. Your thoughts?

ASK CFN ... The Most Loved & Hated Teams
By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Aug 17, 2007

The most hated, loved and respected teams. What's easier to gamble on, college or pro? These and more in the latest ASK CFN.

By Pete Fiutak

Q: Which five BCS powers are the most nationally respected teams? (a lot of people across the country like to see win?) Which five BCS powers are the most vilified teams? (a lot of people across the country like to see lose?) – JM

A: There’s a difference between respect and love. There are plenty of teams that fans respect, but don’t like, and vice versa. Basically, from what I’ve been able to gather after years of reader interaction is that everyone has one team they’re in love with, and then they have a secondary team, always in a different conference, that they root for.

For the most part, Notre Dame, the New York Yankees of college football, is both the most loved and hated team. There’s almost no middle ground when it comes to the Irish. Michigan also occupies a spot in both categories.

It’d be an interesting poll question for the fans, but my guess is that the top five most respected teams on a national scale will always correspond to how good the teams are at the time combined with a historical aspect. When it comes to fans’ respect, right now I’d say it’s probably 1. USC, 2. Michigan, 3. Ohio State, 4. Texas, 5. Florida. LSU and Oklahoma should probably be in there somewhere. When it comes to the most hated, it’s probably 1. Notre Dame, 2. Michigan, 3. USC, 4. Oklahoma, 5. Miami. The five most loved on a national scale (basically, these are the teams many fans grew up rooting for) would probably be 1. Notre Dame, 2. Michigan, 3. USC, 4. Florida State, 5. Penn State, Ohio State or Nebraska.

Sonner magic923
8/17/2007, 10:38 PM
hey were respected and hated but not loved oh well two out of three aint bad

OklahomaTuba
8/17/2007, 11:30 PM
Not sure why anyone should respect Michigan, unless losing the rose bowl every year is something that generates respect somehow.

MissouriSooner
8/17/2007, 11:32 PM
Rather to be respected than loved...

Miko
8/18/2007, 08:33 AM
A retired London bobby once told a family member of mine, "That's the problem with you Yanks, you want the world to love you. You just need to make sure they respect you!"

stoopified
8/18/2007, 09:05 AM
LSU?HMM.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/18/2007, 09:29 AM
Pretty stupid question if you ask me. If you watch any college football, or ESPN, or have ever visited a college football forum, you will find out who the favorite teams are. First of all, Nobody likes Notre Dame. Yet people don't have the same grudge against Alabama. Oh, and I certainly don't believe Goliath is very popular.

OSUAggie
8/18/2007, 09:51 AM
Nobody likes ND?

That's the craziest thing I've heard in a while.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/18/2007, 10:30 AM
Nobody likes ND?

That's the craziest thing I've heard in a while.
Outside of their fan base. And compared to other "successful" teams. "Everyone" likes to see Notre Dame lose bowl games and then laugh and makes jokes about doughnuts.

soonerhubs
8/18/2007, 11:08 AM
It’d be an interesting poll question for the fans, but my guess is ...
This guy should be a research scientist. :rolleyes: Publish the guess. Don't waste time on the poll.

critical_phil
8/18/2007, 11:28 AM
Rather to be feared than respected ...

fixed.