PDA

View Full Version : Article: McCoy ready to contribute for OU

colleyvillesooner
8/17/2007, 05:16 PM
http://newsok.com/article/3106225

McCoy ready to contribute for OU

The expectations for Gerald McCoy arrived even before he pulled a crimson ball cap out of a bag and signed to play for Oklahoma.

By the time he'd built up the suspense on signing day last year, McCoy had already been named the national defensive player of the year by USA Today, touted as a high school All-American and chosen as the top-rated defensive tackle in the nation by several publications.

The hype was still on his mind when he arrived at practice last fall.

"At first when I came in, I was pressured thinking I had to play and if I don't everybody would be disappointed," McCoy said Friday. "As time went on I just started to relax, take the coaching and realize it's the best thing for me."

McCoy soon learned that he wouldn't be a starter for the Sooners, and wouldn't even be a part of the defensive line rotation. It could've been a humbling experience, considering the buildup from his recognition in high school.

"There's a lot of accolades that come with it and a lot of expectations, but that's the whole thing with being ranked that high," McCoy said. "They know you can handle it."

While fans anticipated big things from McCoy, his parents kept him down to earth by telling him: "If you don't play right then, then you just don't. The coaches know what they're doing."

It was about this time last year when McCoy's defensive line coach, Jackie Shipp, approached him and asked if the 6-foot-4, 305-pounder thought he was ready to contribute. McCoy knew the answer: "No, sir." He was destined for a redshirt.

"I wasn't ready, honestly," said McCoy, who's now listed at 289 pounds. "Everybody said, `Gerald, you should have been playing.' No, I shouldn't have. I'm going to be honest with you. I shouldn't have. I wasn't ready. But I'm real confident now. I'm really ready to play."

McCoy spent the past summer concentrating on his technique, especially his footwork, to hone the skills that helped him make 80 tackles and 18 sacks his senior year at Oklahoma City Southeast High School.

"I've made vast improvement, and all I did was work on it hard over the summer," McCoy said. "My development and my technique has come a long way."

On a 10-point scale, McCoy said he would have rated his old technique as a 2. He thinks he's up to an 8 now.

"I was already jumping the ball, but now it's even faster because I worked on my feet," McCoy said. "I can see things move. Everything slows down when you move your feet."

That development was interrupted this week when McCoy sprained a joint in his right shoulder. He expects to sit out the Sooners' scrimmage on Saturday, then return to practice Monday after missing a full week.

When the season opener against North Texas rolls around Sept. 1, McCoy hopes to follow in the footsteps of great Oklahoma tackles like the Selmon brothers and Tommie Harris.

"The guys from the past, they had that certain kind of attitude. It was a confident attitude. It wasn't cocky," Harris said.

"As far a defensive tackles, OU's always been known to have a dominant (defensive) line, and I just want to come in and continue that tradition. The program is way bigger than who's here now, and I just want to help the program."

McCoy said he's been getting teased by family and friends lately that he'll finally get to play in a game after sitting out a full season. But this time, he feels better able to shrug off any expectations from outside.

"People are expecting it, but I don't have any pressure," McCoy said. "I'm just doing what I can for the team. I'm just one part of the defense, with 10 other guys out there. I just want to go do my part."

jccouger
8/17/2007, 05:21 PM
If there is one thing about the OU team this year, its that is seems there goals are all team oriented. I havent heard a single player this year saying what goals they want to achieve as in statistics, but they just want to win football games.

bringit
8/17/2007, 06:19 PM
McCoy is the one guy I've been really anxious to see. Dude was a monster at the Army All-American game.

boomersooner28
8/17/2007, 07:05 PM
YES HE WAS! If McCoy and Granger live up to the expectations, OUr D-line is gonna be scary the next couple of years.

KantoSooner
8/17/2007, 07:26 PM
It can't be said often enough: the whole game is played from tackle to tackle. With new faces like McCoy and Loadholt, it would appear that Stoops and company are not neglecting this point.